[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Custard Pie

Custard Pie

Swap Recipes

Custard Pie

Postby sadiedog » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:10 pm

I've been wanting to make this pie for years now, but have been a bit scared of custards up until recently. My Grandmother used to make it for every holiday and I was the only child who would eat it. The rest of the kids thought it was a weird "old person" pie. ;) The recipe below is an amalgam of the Joy of Cooking custard pie and ATK custard pie. It turned out great! Just like creme brulee in a pie shell.

Custard Pie

1 nine inch pie shell(unbaked)

3 whole eggs
2 or 3 egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
2 cups whole milk (I used 2% with no ill effect)
1 vanilla bean scraped
1/4 tsp. nutmeg

Directions:
- Prick the crust and bake in a hot oven 500 degrees F. for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove it from the oven only long enough to fill it with the custard
- Heat the milk and the vanilla bean in a pan on medium low until simmering.
- Beat the eggs or yolks slightly. Add the sugar, salt and beat until lightened in color.
- Add about 1/2 the hot milk/vanilla to the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Pour the tempered eggs back into the pan and cook on low until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour these ingredients into the partly baked pie shell. Sprinkle the top with nutmeg if desired.
- Place the pie in a slow oven 325 degrees F. for 25 to 35 minutes or until the custard is quivery like gelatin.
- Cool completely before serving. Best served at room temp or cold plain or with fresh fruit.
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Re: Custard Pie

Postby beenie » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:37 pm

If someone shuns custard as being "old person," then they chalk me the hell up as being old, and give their share to ME. :lol:
I've been kissed by Pixie - for real!
beenie
Big Sister

Postby ghenne » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:47 pm

beenie wrote:If someone shuns custard as being "old person," then they chalk me the hell up as being old, and give their share to ME. :lol:

Me too. I love custard anything!

You know this is going to end up on my blog don't you?
"My religion is kindness." ~Dalai Lama ~
ghenne
Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:51 pm

I love custard pie but have a hard time making it without making a mess so I don't do it often. Feel free to send me some of yours (any of you). :D
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby sadiedog » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:51 pm

ghenne wrote:
beenie wrote:If someone shuns custard as being "old person," then they chalk me the hell up as being old, and give their share to ME. :lol:

Me too. I love custard anything!

You know this is going to end up on my blog don't you?

Ok. :)
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Return to Recipe Swap