[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Healthy Loads o' Veggies Chili

Healthy Loads o' Veggies Chili

Swap Recipes

Healthy Loads o' Veggies Chili

Postby beenie » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:10 am

This is the recipe I submitted to the cooking competition (from which I withdrew - some of you know the story, some don't. Long story short, some of the other recipes submitted looked worse than semi-ho, so I pulled out, not wanting to be associated with it. Snobby, probably, but I don't care).

*2lbs. ground lean meat (turkey, chicken, lean beef, etc.)
*2T olive oil------
*1/2 t salt--------
*1 large onion, chopped----
*4 large carrots, diced----
*3 large stalks celery, diced----
*1T chopped garlic----
*1T salt-free chili seasoning of your choice----
*1T ancho chile powder----
*1T ground cumin----
*1t ground cinnamon-----
*1/2t cocoa powder-----
*1 6oz. can tomato paste----
*3 medium zucchini, seeded and diced
*2 15oz. cans black beans, drained and rinsed
*1 15oz. can whole corn kernels, drained and rinsed
*3 15oz. cans diced tomatoes with green chiles
*2 28oz. cans crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce
*10oz fresh or frozen spinach, chopped

*Sweat chopped onion over low heat in olive oil and salt until translucent (can cover the pan to speed the process).

*Add chopped carrots, celery and garlic, stir, cover and allow to soften slightly. Stir in spices, cocoa powder and tomato paste. Stir over medium heat to allow the tomato paste to cook slightly.

*Spread vegetable mixture in the bottom of a 7-8qt. crock pot (will NOT fit into a 6qt). Layer chopped zucchini over vegetable mixture, layer beans over zucchini, layer zucchini over corn.

*Brown the meat (can use additional T olive oil if desired) and layer cooked chicken over corn. Spread tomatoes w/green chiles over chicken, pour crushed tomatoes on top.

*Cook on high for 1 hour, add spinach, stir to combine. Cook on high for another 4 hours, or on low for 8 hours, stirring occasionally if you are available.

*If desired, serve with chopped onion, shredded cheese and sour cream (can use reduced fat cheese and sour cream).

*Makes at least 6qts, most likely 7 or 8.

If you have a bigger crockpot/Nesco/stockpot, you can definitely add more crushed tomatoes and black beans to stretch it out. Also, feel free to fiddle around with the seasonings if you like spicier chili (I'm a little bit of a wuss, but starting to improve, and this is pushing it for me - I need the sour cream).
I've been kissed by Pixie - for real!
beenie
Big Sister

Return to Recipe Swap