[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Cookoff 2.0 #6 - Eggplant

Cookoff 2.0 #6 - Eggplant

Cookoff archives

Cookoff 2.0 #6 - Eggplant

Postby geimerst » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:13 am

Cookoff 2.0 #1 - Heat Infusion - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #2 - Tomatoes - Unknown Foodie
Cookoff 2.0 #3 - Butternut Squash - Jackiecat
Cookoff 2.0 #4 - Fennel - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #5 - Grains of Paradise - PattyE
Cookoff 2.0 #6 - Eggplant - Geimerst

Sorry for the delays in responding...
I logged out Tuesday and haven't been here much the last few days.

I'd like to repeat one of the early items from the original cookoff,
unfortunately, the thread was lost during the cull of 2006:

Eggplant (Solanum melongena)

I've discovered eggplant during the past year, specifically in a roasted
veggie medley I make, and would like to see other representations of
this berry, as it definitely makes for good eats !!

End date: Nov 16, 8pm ET

So bring on the Good Eats: Deep Purple (aka Berry From Another Planet)

geimerst

Postby Norm357 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:25 pm

Slice.
Bread.
Fry.
Eat.
Don't pity the rescue dog, adopt him. If he was human, he would be the one with stories to tell and books to write.

Any idiot can kill a shark. It takes a real man to catch one, kiss him on the head, and let him go.

Norm357
Admiral Briner

Postby Norm357 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 6:26 pm

Or.

Slice, drizzle with olive oil, season with S&P, then grill.
Don't pity the rescue dog, adopt him. If he was human, he would be the one with stories to tell and books to write.

Any idiot can kill a shark. It takes a real man to catch one, kiss him on the head, and let him go.

Norm357
Admiral Briner

Postby eye4got » Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:29 pm

Melanzane Parmigiano
(Eggplant Parmesan)

Preheat oven to 350
Peel an eggplant
Slice it into 1/2" pieces
Dip in eggwash, then in Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
Pan-fry in butter & EVOO until GBD
Remove slices to drain rig
Place on parchment-lined cookie sheet
Ladle marinara over each slice
Top with mozzarella (shredded or slices, doesn't matter)
Sprinkle with parmesan
Place in oven until cheese is nice and melty (and a little browned if you like that sort of thing)
Plate the slices
Eat
Repeat
"I do believe that the supreme arrogance to believe that you understand the mind of the creator of the universe and are empowered to judge other humans in God's name is at the root of many of humanity's problems."
-Kinsley
eye4got
Admiral Briner

Postby Matt » Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:03 pm

I add diced eggplant to onions and garlic and a mess of olive oil and cook until the eggplant pretty much dissolves. Add whatever spices and herbs you want - oregano and crushed red pepper flakes work nicely - and you've got yourself a fantastic sauce for pasta. Mid-way through the cooking you can also add in things like zucchini, bell peppers, tomatoes, or whatever else you want on your pasta. Did I mention the cheese? Of course you should top with cheese. Parmesian Reggiano being the standard for a reason.
Not all those who wander are lost. -JRR Tolkien
Matt
Lieutenant Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:54 pm

Two family recipes... enjoy!

Eggplant and Tomato Stew

2 large eggplants, diced into 1" cubes (can be peeled, but I prefer the skins on)
2 large tomatoes, diced (or 1 pint cherry/grape tomatoes)
1 onion, finely diced
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 pint chicken stock (approximate -- depends on how much liquid your vegetables yield)
2-3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
Salt and pepper, to taste
As much or as little olive oil as you'd like

In a Dutch oven on medium heat, saute the onion in olive oil until golden. Add eggplant, cover, and cook until halfway done, stirring often, about 15 minutes. Add tomato paste, tomatoes, and enough stock to reach about 1" below level of vegetables. Season to taste. Cover and simmer until eggplant and tomatoes are well done, about another 15 minutes.

When stew is ready to serve, in a small pan, saute garlic in olive oil until lightly browned. Pour garlic and oil into stew pot (careful, it will sizzle) and stir.

Serve stew over rice, or with crusty bread.

Baba Ghannouj, the Right Way ;)

2 large eggplants (halved and pierced if you're going to grill them, peeled and quartered lengthwise if you're going to roast them in the oven)
1 head garlic
1/2 cup tahini (sesame paste)
Juice of 1-2 small lemons, to taste
Salt, to taste
(Optional: smoked salt or a couple drops of liquid smoke, if eggplant is roasted rather than grilled)

1. Grill/roast eggplant and garlic: Grill eggplant, turning every so often, until skin is completely charred. Alternatively, roast eggplant on a sheet pan in 450-degree oven until edges char slightly, about 30 minutes. Place whole garlic head along with eggplant on grill or in oven. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature. If eggplant is grilled, remove skin, chop or smash flesh lightly, and place in colander/strainer to drain while it cools.

2. In bowl of food processor, add lemon juice (start with juice of one lemon -- add more if needed), tahini, flesh of roasted garlic (just squeeze it out), generous pinch of salt. If eggplant was roasted rather than grilled, substitute some smoked salt for regular salt, or add a couple drops of liquid smoke (just a little -- keep it subtle). Process until smooth.

3. Coarsely chop cooled eggplant and add to food processor. Pulse until all eggplant is coated with tahini mixture, but make sure it remains chunky. (Before the advent of food processors, baba ghannouj was made by mashing eggplant by hand -- keep that in mind for the texture of the finished product.)

4. Transfer baba ghannouj to mixing bowl. Adjust salt and lemon to taste, stirring to combine.

5. Serve drizzled with good olive oil (hot sauce/harissa optional) and pita bread for dipping.
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby thatchairlady » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:36 pm

I second Norm... egg, bread crumbs, fry and eat. I've NEVER salted eggplant in my life and don't think I even know what that "bitterness" thing is about!?!

Since I'm cooking for one, I do EP parm in a stack. Breaded, fried and stacked with mozz & sauce. Two or 3 slices, held together with toothpicks to avoid slide-age when cheese gets all gooey. When I just have to have it, I'll freeze and vacuum seal into individual portions. Top with sauce and into oven for about 35-40 minutes and it's dinner time.
thatchairlady
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Pixietoes » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:44 pm

I love this dish. At home I often substitute goat cheese for the fontina and provolone.

Sugo's Eggplant Montasio

3 tablespoons olive oil

3 eggs

1 cup half-and-half

1/2 cup Pecorino-Romano cheese, divided

2 cups Progresso Italian-style bread crumbs

1 eggplant, peeled and sliced into 1/8-inch thick slices

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 cup high quality tomato-basil sauce

8 ounces aged provolone, very thinly sliced

8 ounces montasio or fontina cheese, very thinly sliced

24 basil leaves, tough center stems removed

8 ounces fresh buffalo mozzarella, very thinly sliced

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Brush two 10-by-15-inch rimmed baking sheets with olive oil and set aside.

In a bowl, lightly beat eggs and half-and-half. In a separate bowl, combine 1/2 cup Pecorino-Romano cheese and bread crumbs. Dip eggplant in flour, then in egg wash and then in bread crumb mixture. Place eggplant on baking sheets and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, turning eggplant midway through baking. The eggplant should be brown and crispy on both sides. Remove from oven. If necessary, drain any excess oil from pan. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees.

Top each eggplant slice with about 2 teaspoons tomato sauce, a teaspoon of remaining Pecorino-Romano, a slice of provolone, a thin slice of montasio or fontina cheese, a basil leaf and a slice of fresh mozzarella. Return to oven and bake for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove from oven, place on serving platter and sprinkle with remaining Pecorino cheese and drizzle with olive oil.
“...If you can make a girl laugh - you can make her do anything...” Marilyn Monroe
Pixietoes
Mom

Postby tj » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:26 am

There is an eggplant dish garlic, olive oil, maybe cumin and eggplant. Cooked to a pulp and served cold as a dip with pita or whatever. Has a sort of lumpy consistency.

Anybody out there have a clue or a recipe?

Not Baba Ghanouj...blander than that.

Really good stuff.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:39 am

tj wrote:There is an eggplant dish garlic, olive oil, maybe cumin and eggplant. Cooked to a pulp and served cold as a dip with pita or whatever. Has a sort of lumpy consistency.

Anybody out there have a clue or a recipe?

Not Baba Ghanouj...blander than that.

Really good stuff.

Might be an Arabic moussaka, which is typically served cold ("moussaka" comes from the Arabic "musaqa'a," which means "chilled") and contains no meat (and no bechamel sauce).
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby Pixietoes » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:06 pm

My friend made this for our supper club one night. It was delicious. When I asked for the recipe, it turned out it's the combination of two FN.com recipes, one is Tyler Florence's the other is from "The Food Network Kitchens". I made it as a make ahead and freeze entree for our family vacation this summer, it was a big hit.

Moussaka

EGGPLANT
2 large eggplants (about 2 3/4 pounds), unpeeled and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch slices
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Bake the eggplant: Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F. Brush the eggplant slices on both sides with the oil and lay on 2 small or 1 large foil-lined baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with foil and bake until the eggplant is soft, about 25 minutes. Set aside covered.

MEAT SAUCE
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 lemon, sliced in thin circles
1 handful fresh oregano leaves, chopped
2 handfuls fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2 pounds ground lamb
1 cinnamon stick
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 (16-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and hand-crushed

Add a little olive oil to a pan and toss in the onion, garlic, lemon slices, oregano, and parsley. Cook and stir until soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the ground lamb, stirring to break up the meat; season with salt and pepper, and toss in the cinnamon stick. Stir in the tomato paste and hand-crushed tomatoes. Simmer until the liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat.

CUSTARD SAUCE
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups whole milk, room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1 large egg
2 large egg yolks
1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons Pecorino Romano

Make the custard sauce. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour until smooth. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and add the milk, salt, and nutmeg. Return to the heat and while whisking constantly, bring to a boil. Simmer 2 minutes. Transfer the sauce to a bowl and stir to cool. When the sauce is cool, whisk in the egg and yolks.

Assemble the moussaka.

baked eggplant
meat sauce
custard sauce
1/2 cup dried breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons Pecorino Romano

Lower the oven to 350 degrees F. Brush a 9 x 13 x 2-inch casserole dish with olive oil. Scatter the breadcrumbs over the bottom of the pan. Lay half of the eggplant in the pan, overlapping the slices if needed. Cover with half of the meat sauce and smooth with a rubber spatula. Repeat with the remaining eggplant and meat sauce. Pour the custard sauce over the layered mixture and smooth with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle with the Pecorino Romano and bake, uncovered, until lightly browned and the custard is set, about 1 hour.

Remove the moussaka from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon or spatula to serve.
“...If you can make a girl laugh - you can make her do anything...” Marilyn Monroe
Pixietoes
Mom

Postby kookychef1970 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:50 pm

Noodle Eggplant Casserole

8 ounces Medium Egg Noodles, uncooked
1 eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
1/2 cup egg substitute
3/4 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1 16-ounce can low-sodium tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
4 ounces part-skim Mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced, divided

1. Prepare noodles according to package directions. While noodles are cooking, dip each slice of eggplant into egg substitute, then into bread crumbs. Coat each side well. Spray a cookie sheet with vegetable cooking spray. Place eggplant slices on cookie sheet and place under broiler for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned.

2. Preheat oven to 375ºF. In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, tomato sauce, garlic powder, pepper and oregano.

3. When noodles are done, drain well. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Place a layer of eggplant in bottom of baking dish. Layer half the noodles, followed by half the tomato mixture. Sprinkle half the Parmesan cheese and half the Mozzarella cheese on top. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking 15 minutes, until cheese is melted and top is lightly browned.
It's your lie...tell it like you want!!!

You know you're getting old when you can predict the weather better than meteorologists just by the level of pain in your joints.
kookychef1970
Seaman Briner

Postby geimerst » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:37 am

Day late... and a few $$ short...
eggplant is getting a bit pricey up here north of the border.

After much consideration and discussions with my inspiration for living
a better life, I narrowed the candidates down to two variations of the theme.

High marks were given to kookychef1970 and his/her
Noodle Eggplant Casserole - an interesting preparation and worthy
of considerations. A solid first entry to the cookoff world. :clap:

I select: Pixietoes and her contribution of:
Sugo's Eggplant Montasio

:clap: :clap: :clap:

So Huzzah to Pixie !! and you're up !!

geimerst

Postby kookychef1970 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:51 am

Thank you...I feel honored :o

I have tons of recipes so if you ever have a craving for anything (seriously, ANYTHING) I probably have a recipe or two for it (or can call one of my chef instructors for ideas).

Sherrie
It's your lie...tell it like you want!!!

You know you're getting old when you can predict the weather better than meteorologists just by the level of pain in your joints.
kookychef1970
Seaman Briner

Return to Cookoffs