[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Cookoff 2.0 #7 - Soups

Cookoff 2.0 #7 - Soups

Cookoff archives

Cookoff 2.0 #7 - Soups

Postby Pixietoes » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:29 pm

Cookoff 2.0 #1 - Heat Infusion - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #2 - Tomatoes - Unknown Foodie
Cookoff 2.0 #3 - Butternut Squash - Jackiecat
Cookoff 2.0 #4 - Fennel - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #5 - Grains of Paradise - PattyE
Cookoff 2.0 #6 - Eggplant - Geimerst
Cookoff 2.0 #7 - Soup - Pixie

I'm flattered Geimerst, thank you. It was 30 degrees here this morning. Soup weather is officially upon us, so bring it on.
Last edited by Pixietoes on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“...If you can make a girl laugh - you can make her do anything...” Marilyn Monroe
Pixietoes
Mom

Postby DanC » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:22 pm

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 small onion
3 cups chicken stock
3 cups milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
3 cups fresh broccoli florets
1/2 pound processed cheese, shredded
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Steam broccoli until just tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
Chop to desired size.

Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat, sauté onions then mix in the flour.
Reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes.
Mix in the chicken stock and milk, and season with salt and white pepper.
Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer about 10 minutes.

Gradually mix the processed cheese and cheddar cheese into the large pot until melted.
Mix in the broccoli. Continue cooking about 5 minutes.
DanC
Admiral Briner

Postby thatchairlady » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:56 pm

Good old veggie/beef soup. Learned this "dump" recipe from my Grandmother. Nana ALWAYS started with some bones... browned up well in some oil in a HUGE soup pot. Bones could be pretty bare... she just insisted you HAD to have a few. Then chunks of beef were browned. No real measurements on veggies. Once bones/beef were really brown... water to cover. Carrots, celery and onions ALWAYS. If ya HAD cabbage... some of that... if no cabbage, that worked, too. Some kind of tomato product... usually a big can of whole tomatoes... that us kids got to squish a bit with our hands. Any left-over veggie from fridge or freezer... she'd save em up for soup. Filled to the top with water and simmered FOREVER! Nana didn't usually put in potatoes... they kinda disappeared after that LONG simmer. She'd toss in a handful or so of a lot of dry stuff... navy beans, split peas, barley. Recipe comes out different yet the same every time.

A ham bone left her very torn??... Bean or split pea soup?? Another dump recipe. Nice bone, perferably with hunks of meat to cook off. Bag of navy beans or split peas... no soaking. Lots of celery, onion and carrot and filled up with water and simmered for hours. Beans werre never soaked. Came home last Easter with TWO ham bones... sil is not a big home-cook. I just hadda toss a coin to decide bean or pea first.

Nana always insisted you hadda have a bay leaf. Her's were totally dead but were the "prize" if you got one in your bowl. Didn't know bay leaves even HAD a flavor until I had my own place and bought herbs/spices.

She made something she called "Canadian Stew". Not really a stew and probably not remotely Canadian, but yummy just the same. She'd brown, almost to burning, a hunka pot roast/chuck. Covered with water and added a lot of small whole onions, BIG chunks of celery/carrots about 3" long. SOme kind of tomato something. The requisite bay leaf. SImmered again forever. The meat was totally falling apart. Veggies were SOOO cooked, everything just about tasted the same. She'd make home-made bread to go with. You had totally overcooked veggies and falling apart meat on a plate. FABULOUS broth in a bowl with right outta the oven bread to dip.

Have has first 2 COLD days here in NJ, and a vat of soup is sounding really good right about now.
thatchairlady
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby DitsyD » Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:00 pm

Not fast or easy or cheap, but it is the best soup I've ever made:

COUNTRY FRENCH FISH SOUP

3 to 6 pounds fish, the larger amount for whole fish
2 to 3 pounds fish bones or whole whiting, cleaned
½ cup olive oil
1-1/2 cups chopped onions
Chopped white of 1 large leek
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 cups chopped tomatoes
2 cups dry white wine
6 cups water or Fish Stock
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 large bay leaf
½ teaspoon dried leaf thyme
3 tablespoons chopped fennel leaves, or ¼ teaspoon fennel seed
1 vial (.2 gram) thread saffron, crumbled
2-inch piece orange zest, chopped
Pernod or Ricard to taste
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Sauce Aïoli (recipe follows)
3 egg yolks
Thick slices of toasted French or Italian bread
Chopped parsley or fennel leaves for garnish

Note: Choose four to six kinds of fish, if possible, using lean-fleshed saltwater fish such as monkfish, searobin, cod, Pollock, hake, whiting, porgy, halibut, tilefish, grouper, ocean perch, red snapper, black sea bass, and seatrout.

Clean fish and fish bones to remove guts, gills, scales, and all blood. Fillet whole fish and cut all fillets into serving pieces that are as uniform as possible. Keep the varieties of fish separate so that you can add them in order of size and firmness. Add heads, tails, and bones to the extra bones or whiting. Refrigerate the fillets.

Heat the olive oil in a fairly large nonreactive pot. Add onions and leek, and cook gently until tender and slightly golden. Do not brown. Add garlic and cook briefly. Add tomatoes, wine, water or fish stock, herbs, saffron, orange zest, 1 tablespoon Pernod, and the reserved bones. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer gently, uncovered, for about 1 hour. Strain, pressing on the solids to extract as much juice as possible, then discard solids. Wipe out pot and return strained soup to it. Season fairly well with salt, pepper, and Pernod, knowing that the richness of the liaison will mitigate the flavors somewhat.

Just before serving time, reheat soup just to the simmer, and begin adding the pieces of fish in order of size and firmness, starting with larger and firmer pieces and ending with the delicate flesh. Poach gently just until heated through, keeping in mind that these pieces will require only about 6 to 7 minutes per inch of thickness. Remove fish with a slotted spoon or skimmer to a serving platter as it is done, and keep it warm. Whisk together ½ cup aïoli and the egg yolks. Temper with hot soup and then whisk into the soup. Heat gently for a few minutes, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened. Do not overheat or yolks might curdle. Adjust seasoning, and serve immediately in soup plates with a piece of toast with a dab of aïoli in each one and more aïoli on the side. Garnish fish with chopped parsley or fennel and present it, too. Diners may add fish to the soup or eat it separately from plates.

SAUCE AÏOLI
1 large head very fresh garlic, or to taste (at least 8 large cloves), peeled
¾ cup trimmed and cubed bread, moistened with 3 tablespoons of the soup broth, or 1
medium potato, peeled and cooked in the broth
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
Coarse salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
1-1/2 cups fruity, golden olive oil

Using a mortar and pestle or a food processor, grind garlic, bread or potato, yolks, vinegar, and salt and pepper to a paste, then add oil slowly, as for mayonnaise.
"Setting an example is not the main means of influencing another, it is the only means." ~Albert Einstein
"Life is too short to make crust for uncertain pies."~Wendy McClure
If looks could kill, women wouldn't need frying pans.
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.
DitsyD
Admiral Briner

Postby derek erhart » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:49 pm

Potato Soup

1/3 cup bacon juice
3 Tbl olive oil
4 Tbl butter
1 onion
3 cloves garlic
4 cups chicken stock
Filtered water
10 cups diced tubers
2 cups instant potato flakes
2 cups sharp cheddar, shredded
4oz shredded parmesan
16oz sour cream
Kosher salt to taste

Saute the aromatics in the bacon fat and olive oil. Add the tubers,
butter, stock and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil for 5 min.
Add flakes, cheese and temper in the sour cream. Season and serve
with bacon crumbs, green onions and fresh black pepper.
Peace Out
derek erhart
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby SoulPainter » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:03 pm

Roasted Winter Vegetable Soup

3 lbs Yukon gold potatoes
2 lbs carrots
5 celery ribs
6 large shallots
6 medium cloves garlic
½ cup melted butter
1 quart chicken stock, preferably homemade
1 pint heavy cream
Salt and pepper
Cooked, chopped bacon

Adjust oven rack to top position and preheat to 400*
Peel and cut first five ingredients into bite size piece pieces.
Place them in a roasting pan and coat with butter, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly.
Roast for 30-40 minutes turning two or three times until caramelized and tender. Be careful they don’t burn.
Remove from oven and pulse half or vegetables with some stock in a food processor until moderately smooth. If you let it go too long it will be gummy.
Place all vegetables and remaining stock in saucepan and bring to a simmer.
Add cream and season with salt and pepper to taste. Heat through.
Garnish with bacon.

If we are not entertaining and are watching our intake we substitute the following:
3 tablespoons olive oil for the butter
Skim milk for the heavy cream
Turkey bacon for the garnish
It still kills.
SoulPainter
Second Class Petty Officer Briner

Postby Thierry » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:05 pm

derek erhart wrote:Potato Soup

1/3 cup bacon juice

Que?

What is this juice of bacon?

:shock:
:lol:
Up your butt with a coconut.
Thierry
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby derek erhart » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:02 am

fat
Peace Out
derek erhart
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:39 am

FAT, FAT, GLORIOUS FA--
Never mind.

I cannot post a recipe, I don't write 'em.
Many of my soups are similar, but they're all custom. It's my favorite thing to cook.

But -- I have a glorious resource!!
(Yes, this is old news to old timers. ENJOY!)

Soup Soup, GLORIOUS Soup!

http://www.soupsong.com/
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Grayson » Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:18 pm

COLONIAL WILLIAMSBURG PEANUT SOUP

Ingredients
1 medium onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1/4 cup butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 quarts chicken stock
2 cups smooth peanut butter
1 3/4 cups light cream
1 cup roasted peanuts, chopped

Directions
- Saute onion and celery in butter until soft (do not brown).
- Stir in the flour a bit at a time until well blended.
- Add chicken stock slowly, stirring constantly and bring to a boil, then remove from heat.
- Puree the mixed ingredients, preferably with a stick blender.
- Add peanut butter and cream, stirring or stick-blending again thoroughly.
- Return the now-finished soup to low heat and heat just until hot, but do not allow it to boil.

Serve garnished with chopped peanuts. Delicious hot or cold, I serve it first as an appetizer for holiday meals (it holds beautifully). It's also perfect with toasted cheese (I'll say it!) sammiches. :P
Lifetime Member of The Order of Lord Flashheart, BOSA Enabler, Coolness Maven, Proud Half-witted Peon, Der Fleurer's Minister of Propaganda, co-founder of T.P.C., Keeper of the Safety Word, Ceremonial Holder of the Pointed Stick, unconfirmed GEFP Illuminati, and retired costumed adventurer.
Grayson
Admiral Briner

Postby Pixietoes » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:33 am

I need a few days of grace here, folks. With traveling for the holiday and all, I haven't been here to cook much in the past week. I've tried 2 of the soups already, and hope to work my way through the rest. (I'm sorry there aren't more to try!) I'll have a decision by the end of the week.

I just didn't want you to think I had forgotten about this cook-off.
“...If you can make a girl laugh - you can make her do anything...” Marilyn Monroe
Pixietoes
Mom

Postby Unknown Foodie » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:38 pm

This is the best soup I've ever made: J. J.'s Smoked Gouda Vegetable Soup

10 strips of bacon, diced
1 1/2 cups of sliced onion
4 cloves of garlic, chopped & mashed
2 carrots, halved and sliced
14 1/2 oz. can of crushed tomatoes w/juice
1 15 oz. can of Cannellini or Great Northern Beans, drained & rinsed
2 roasted red peppers, sliced & chopped
2 14 1/2 oz. cans of chicken broth
1 small zucchini chopped into large pieces
1 small yellow squash chopped into large pieces
2 large leaves of fresh basil, chopped
12 leaves of fresh oregano, chopped
salt & pepper to taste

12 1/2" slices of a French Baguette
cooking spray
Freshly grated Parmesano Reggiano, to taste
Hungarian Paparika to taste
1/2 cup smoked Gouda cheese, diced

Render the bacon slowly until crisp. Remove bacon, set aside for garnish. Heat bacon drippings on medium heat and add onion. Cook for 3 minutes and add the garlic. Continue to cook for another minute but do not burn the garlic. Transfer the onions and garlic to a soup pot. Add carrots, tomatoes and season w/salt & pepper. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes and then add the beans, red peppers, broth, zucchini and squash. Bring to a boil and add the basil and oregano. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray baguette slices with cooking spray and lightly toast in oven. Sprinkle Parm cheese and paprika on toast until bubbly.

5 minutes before serving, add the Gouda cheese to the soup so it can soften. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon on top of the soup and serve the toast with the soup.
A virtual fountain of useless knowledge!

Unknown Foodie
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby mhalbrook » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:33 pm

Deluxe Pizza Soup
disclaimer: I actually have yet to make this, but this is the base recipe I'll start from :)

1 # bulk Itallian sausage
1/2 tsp red pepper flake (or to taste)
1 C onion, minced
1 tbs garlic, minced
2 c mushrooms, sliced
1 green bell pepper, sliced in thin strips
1 tbs Olive Oil
1 tsp fennel seed
1 tbs oregano, dried
1 tbs basil, dried
2 28(?) Oz Cans of Crushed tomatoes
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1/4 c brown sugar
Salt & Pepper to taste
1 recipe of your favorite pizza crust
Favorite Pizza cheese
Pepperoni
Oven proof soup crock.

In a dutch oven or other deep pot, brown the sausage over medium heat, and remove to bowl. Drain off all but 2 tbs of fat.
Add the vegetables and a little salt and cook until tender. Add olive oil and herbs and cook for about 1 min, add crushed tomatoes, sauce & sausage back to the pot, simmer and adjust seasoning as desired.

Cut prepared crust in to circles slightly smaller than the top of the soup crocks.
Fill crocks with soup, leaving room for the crust. Top with the round of crust, topped with cheese & Pepperoni, and place in oven until GBD on top. (think French onion soup service style)
mhalbrook
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Pixietoes » Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:47 pm

Well, most of the recipes here have been tried. The family liked Derek's Potato Soup a lot, and Soul Painter's Roasted Vegetable Soup was very good, but the hands down favorite was Dan's Broccoli Cheddar Soup. So congratulations Dan, you're up...
Pixietoes
Mom

Postby DanC » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:57 am

Pixietoes wrote:Well, most of the recipes here have been tried. The family liked Derek's Potato Soup a lot, and Soul Painter's Roasted Vegetable Soup was very good, but the hands down favorite was Dan's Broccoli Cheddar Soup. So congratulations Dan, you're up...

Crap.

You know I singlehandedly killed Cookoff 1.0, right?
pixie, i was gonna pm you and plead that you not pick me, i really was...

but it is a good soup, isn't it?

um, give me some time to think of something and check with carla :wink:

Dan
DanC
Admiral Briner

Postby Pixietoes » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:08 am

LOL Dan, IIRC you didn't SINGLEHANDEDLY kill it. You had help. And it was on it's last leg anyway.

Fear not, traveling briner. We shall survive your next foray into the Cookoff arena, I feel certain. :D

(And no, that soup is not good. It is "Oh my goodness, this is so yummy and easy to make and satisfying on a cold day delicious.")
Pixietoes
Mom

Return to Cookoffs