[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Cookoff 2.0 #12 - Olives

Cookoff 2.0 #12 - Olives

Cookoff archives

Cookoff 2.0 #12 - Olives

Postby Grovite » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Cookoff 2.0 #1 - Heat Infusion - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #2 - Tomatoes - Unknown Foodie
Cookoff 2.0 #3 - Butternut Squash - Jackiecat
Cookoff 2.0 #4 - Fennel - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #5 - Grains of Paradise - PattyE
Cookoff 2.0 #6 - Eggplant - Geimerst
Cookoff 2.0 #7 - Soup - Pixie
Cookoff 2.0 #8 - Ribs - Dan
Cookoff 2.0 #9 - Citrus fruit - Moonablaze
Cookoff 2.0 #10 - Clams - Thierry
Cookoff 2.0 #11 - Ground Beef - Parrothead

Let's try something a little different...Olives!!

We all like olives, whether you like to inhale a jar of Spanish Queens, steal them out of the martinis of drunk Cougars or fill up a gallon bucket at your supermarket's cold bar, we just can't get enough of olives.

Let's move past the tired, old salads and toppings and hear some great, off-the-wall recipes that feature olives...if bacon is involved, even better!

Hop to it folks...the clock starts...NOW!
Rock & Roll is like Mexican food. As it improves in quality, it stops being what it is.
Grovite
Red-Headed Stepchild

Postby Slamdunkpro » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:42 pm

4 oz ice cold dry gin
1/2 oz ice cold dry Vermouth
2 olives

Combine Gin & Vermouth & stir
Add to frosted martini glass
Add olives and consume

Repeat as necessary
No Clicky Blind Linky's!
There is no problem that can’t be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order
I've been kissed by Pixie!
Slamdunkpro
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby eye4got » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:45 pm

SDP beat me to the punch ('cept I'd add a splash of olive juice to the mix) so instead I'll submit:

Olive, Bacon & Cheddar Rolls

12 round soft smooth-topped dinner rolls (you can use Brown 'n' Serve rolls; I won't tell :wink: )
8 slices bacon
1/4 Cup chopped ripe (black) olives, drained
1/4 cup finely chopped pimiento stuffed olives
4 medium scallions, finely chopped (about 1/4 cup)
1/4 mayonnaise
1 cup finely shredded Cheddar cheese.

Directions
Heat oven to 350*F.
In each roll, cut a pocket from the top down to within 1/2 inch of the bottom. Do not cut through the bottom. Set aside
Cook the bacon until crisp. Drain and crumble the bacon.
In a small bowl, mix the bacon, olives, onions, mayonnaise, and 1/2 cup of cheese.
Fill each pocket with 1 heaping tablespoon bacon mixture.
Place rolls on ungreased cookie sheet.
Sprinkle rolls with the remainder of the cheese, dividing it evenly between them.
Bake 14 to 15 minutes or until filling is hot.
"I do believe that the supreme arrogance to believe that you understand the mind of the creator of the universe and are empowered to judge other humans in God's name is at the root of many of humanity's problems."
-Kinsley
eye4got
Admiral Briner

Re: Cookoff 2.0 #12 - Olives

Postby Butterbean » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:20 pm

Grovite wrote:We all like olives, whether you like to inhale a jar of Spanish Queens, steal them out of the martinis of drunk Cougars or fill up a gallon bucket at your supermarket's cold bar, we just can't get enough of olives.

Hey, now! Stay away from my goddam olives! :lol:

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby jackiecat » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:23 pm

Butterbean wrote:
Grovite wrote:We all like olives, whether you like to inhale a jar of Spanish Queens, steal them out of the martinis of drunk Cougars or fill up a gallon bucket at your supermarket's cold bar, we just can't get enough of olives.

[url]

SNORT! Mine too![/url]
Cheryl

I've been kissed by Pixie AND hugged by Holly!

I'm not a great cook, but I'm a GREAT taster - Ina Garten
jackiecat
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:57 pm

Not a recipe per se but I will slice up a bunch of black and green olives and add them to my sketti sauce. It sounds weird but it's good, and if you simmer them for a little bit they soften up.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby carla » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:01 pm

jackiecat wrote:
Butterbean wrote:

SNORT! Mine too!

Mine three! :P :lol:
I don't cook with them. Oil cured olives make me drool; I rarely eat others, though I drink with them. Blue cheese stuffed are good. (Paging Holly & Fleur.)
Olive brine made me realize why that old post about sauerkraut juice made sense. I've got 2 bottles of green olives in the fridge that I need to top off with olive oil cuz they're dry.
Olive-infused olive oil

Fill a beautiful jar half full of olives and cover them with an average extra-virgin olive oil. The olives flavor the oil, and the oil in turn preserves the olives, which you can scoop out as you need them to serve as an hors d'oeuvre or to flavor pizza, pastas, stews and sauces. To flavor the oil and olives, you can also add a peeled garlic clove, 2 or 3 strips of lemon or orange zest, rosemary or thyme sprigs or fennel seeds.
Thanks to Lee (I'm pretty darn sure) in 2002:

"I'd love to say this recipe is an original, but it's not. It's from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. I have tinkered with it a bit over time but this is the original recipe below. Variations I have done are with different kinds of olives, most recently I've done Kalamatas mixed with Evian Queen olives. That's nice to have the mix of the dark olives with the green olives. I got some Sicilian olives the other day for a Moroccan chicken dish and I may bake the leftover ones. Those would be nice. Do not pit beforehand, btw. I've also messed around with the herbs and have used a combo of fresh rosemary and thyme and this turned out nice. I may like that combo better actually. These are great slivered on a feta cheese pizza. Okay so here you go:

Baked Olives

2 cups kalamata olives
1/2 cup red or white wine
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic (1 sliced, 2 chopped)
1 bay leaf
2 tablespoons fresh marjoram or
1 tablespoons dry oregano
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
freshly ground pepper
red pepper flakes

Preheat the oven to 375°. Rinse the olives if salty and put them in a baking dish large enough to hold them in a single layer. Add the wine, half the oil, the sliced garlic, and the bay leaf. Cover and bake until they are fragrant and swollen, about 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, pound the chopped garlic in a mortar with the marjoram (or oregano), parsley, and a few grinds of pepper. When the olives come out of the oven, poke each one with a fork or the tip of a knife, then stir in the garlic-herb paste, the remaining oil, and several pinches of red pepper flakes. Makes 2 cups

When refrigerated, the olive oil will become thick. Bring to room temperature before serving."
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby nolafoodie » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:49 am

IMHO, this isn't by any means a tired old salad or topping. It is the basis upon which one of humanity's greatest culinary achievements was built...

Olive Salad and the Muffuletta

For a large batch of olive salad...

* 1 32-oz. jar giardiniera mix (the kind with cauliflower, carrots, red peppers, and celery, in brine; you can use the hot mix, but regular is more authentic, and never use a sweet mix), drained
* 5 cups assorted brine- and/or salt-cured olives, pitted and drained, with about 1/4 cup of brine (Don't use canned "ripe" black olives. Use mostly green olives, with some Kalamata and salt-cured black olives.)
* 1 4-oz. jar capers, drained
* 1/2 head garlic, minced/pressed
* 2 tsp. dried oregano
* 1 tsp. dried basil
* 1/2 bunch flat-leaf parsley, chopped finely
* pinch or two of red pepper flakes
* 1/4 cup red wine vinegar (the better, the better)
* 1-2 cups extra virgin olive oil

Chop or pulse giardiniera mix so that pieces range in size from tiny to 1/2". Chop olives coarsely, also in varying sizes (leaving some smaller ones whole). Chop capers finely.

Combine all ingredients except oil in a non-reactive bowl. Transfer to clean jar(s). Pour oil into jars to cover salad mixture.

Refrigerate and allow to marinate for a few days. Store in refrigerator.

For the sandwich:

* 1 loaf muffuletta bread (a 10" round loaf of soft Italian bread topped with sesame seeds; substitute a small loaf of Italian bread with sesame seeds if you can't get muffuletta bread), split.
* 1/2-3/4 lb. mixed Italian lunch meats (Genoa salami, ham, and mortadella are the most common, but use whatever you like)
* 1/4 lb. provolone cheese
* 1/4 lb. swiss or mozzarella cheese
* 3/4-1 cup olive salad

Spread olive salad on both halves of bread (use some of the oil from the salad too). Layer meats and cheeses. It helps to wrap the sandwich tightly and let the flavors meld for a while before serving. Cut into quarters and serve.

Lenten/Vegetarian variation: substitute grilled sliced vegetables (eggplant, zucchini, red bell peppers) for meat.

Enjoy!
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby mhalbrook » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:00 am

3# Cream Cheese
1# Green Pimento Stuffed Olives
2 cloves garlic, minced

Chop the olives in a food processor (Unless you really want to do it by hand)
Mix it all together.

Great as a sandwich filling, but usually I stuff it in to celery. Add a little of the brine if the mixture is too stiff to work with.
mhalbrook
Vice Admiral Briner

Moroccan Spiced Olives

Postby Kristina » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:17 pm

Moroccan Spiced Olives

1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon coriander seeds
1/4 teaspoon cardamom seeds ground
1 pinch red pepper flakes crushed
ground nutmeg, freshly ground, a heavy pinch
1 pinch cinnamon (also a HEAVY pinch)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 cups green olives brought to room temperature
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon orange juice
3 garlic cloves minced

Heat first 8 ingredients in a small skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes.

Remove from heat and add olives and toss to coat.

Stir in remaining ingredients.

Refrigerate in the container the olives came in for at least 4 hours or up to 3 weeks (they will never ever ever last that long.)

The longer the marinate, the better they taste (hide them from yourself. . . .somehow. . . if you want to serve them at a party ;).)

Serve at room temperature.

Now, this is one of those recipes that has amounts, but I almost always put more of everything in it. Do it to your taste! :D
". . . the people who are crazy enough to think
they can change the world are the ones who do."

The absence of flaw in beauty is itself a flaw.
-Havelock Ellis

When people say "I'm not a prude, but..." what they mean is "I am a prude, and..." -John Cleese
Kristina
Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:32 pm

Fresh Pasta Puttanesca

1 9-oz package fresh angelhair pasta
1 c. pitted olives (a variety is nice, but Kalamata should be in the mix), coarsely chopped
1/4 c. capers
3-5 garlic cloves sliced thin
several anchovy fillets, chopped
1 c. chopped cherry tomatoes (or 1 small can diced tomatoes, drained)
1 small onion or large shallot, chopped
red pepper flakes to taste
olive oil
fresh grated Peccorino or Parmesan cheese

While pasta is cooking, saute onion, garlic, tomatoes, olives, capers, anchovies & pepper flakes in olive oil until onion is soft. Drain pasta, add to skillet & toss with veggies. Transfer to serving bowl & drizzle with more olive oil & cheese. Serves 2-3.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Norm357 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:08 pm

Slamdunkpro wrote:4 oz ice cold dry gin
1/2 oz ice cold dry Vermouth
2 olives

Combine Gin & Vermouth & stir
Add to frosted martini glass
Add olives and consume

Repeat as necessary

WIN!
Don't pity the rescue dog, adopt him. If he was human, he would be the one with stories to tell and books to write.

Any idiot can kill a shark. It takes a real man to catch one, kiss him on the head, and let him go.

Norm357
Admiral Briner

Postby ABwannabe » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:38 pm

I don't like olives.

I just saw Giada make fried olives, and they looked like they might be good:

Italian Fried Olives
Ingredients

* 1-ounce Gorgonzola cheese, at room temperature
* 1/4 cup ricotta cheese, at room temperature
* 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
* 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
* 20 pitted green olives, rinsed and dried thoroughly
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 egg, lightly beaten
* 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
* Vegetable oil, for frying

Directions

Special equipment: a pastry bag, a plain tip with a 1/4-inch opening

In a small bowl, combine the cheeses, thyme, and lemon zest. Place the cheese mixture into the pastry bag. Pipe the cheese mixture into each olive.

Place the flour in a small bowl. Pour the beaten egg in another small bowl and the bread crumbs in a third small bowl. Dredge the olives in the flour. Using a slotted spoon, remove the olives and place in the bowl with the beaten egg. Coat the olives with the egg and transfer to the bowl of bread crumbs. Coat the olives with the bread crumbs.

In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, pour in enough oil to fill the pan about 1/3of the way. Heat over medium heat until a deep-frying thermometer inserted in the oil reaches 350 degrees F. (If you don't have a thermometer a cube of bread will brown in a couple of minutes.) Fry the olives, in batches, for 30 to 45 seconds until golden brown. Drain the fried olives on paper towels. Cool for 5 minutes.
ABwannabe
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:13 pm

^ That sounds good! Michael Chiarello also made fried stuffed olives in an episode that aired recently, but used a sausage filling.

Crispy Olives Stuffed with Sausage
(Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello)

Ingredients

* 1/4 pound (1 link) fresh Italian sausage
* 1 teaspoon minced garlic
* 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
* 1 jar (8 ounces) large pitted green olives
* 4 to 6 cups peanut oil, for deep-frying
* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* 2 large eggs
* 1/2 cup fine bread crumbs
* 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
* Salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions

Remove the sausage meat from the casing and place it in a medium bowl. Add the garlic, a pinch of salt, and red pepper flakes, if using. Mix to evenly distribute the ingredients. Drain the olives and rinse them under cold water. Remove the pimentos, if necessary. Stuff each of the olives with 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of the sausage mixture.

Heat the oil in a deep fryer, or stock pot, to 375 degrees F.

Spread the flour on a dinner plate.

Break the eggs into a shallow bowl and beat lightly.

Spread the bread crumbs on another dinner plate and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Moisten the olives with the olive oil, stirring to evenly distribute the oil and seasoning.

Roll the olives in the flour, coating them all over and shaking off the excess. Then dip them in the egg, letting any excess drip back into the bowl. Finally, coat the olives all over with the bread crumbs. As each olive is coated, place it on a tray. Cover the olives and refrigerate until you are ready to fry them.

Fry the olives until golden brown and the sausage in the middle is cooked through, about 3 minutes. The olives will bubble vigorously until they are nearly done, so watch for splatters. Drain on paper towels to absorb any excess oil. Serve warm or at room temperature.
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby Grovite » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:42 pm

A lot of good recipes, from top to bottom, however, there can be only one winner:

Nolafoodie for her Olive Salad and Muffuletta.

Hop to it Nola!
Rock & Roll is like Mexican food. As it improves in quality, it stops being what it is.
Grovite
Red-Headed Stepchild

Postby nolafoodie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:28 pm

Thanks a bunch! Hope you try 'em!

Hmm... what food shall I choose? :think:
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Return to Cookoffs