[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Cookoff 2.0 #13 - Oh, you SLAW me!

Cookoff 2.0 #13 - Oh, you SLAW me!

Cookoff archives

Cookoff 2.0 #13 - Oh, you SLAW me!

Postby nolafoodie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:56 pm

Cookoff 2.0 #1 - Heat Infusion - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #2 - Tomatoes - Unknown Foodie
Cookoff 2.0 #3 - Butternut Squash - Jackiecat
Cookoff 2.0 #4 - Fennel - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #5 - Grains of Paradise - PattyE
Cookoff 2.0 #6 - Eggplant - Geimerst
Cookoff 2.0 #7 - Soup - Pixie
Cookoff 2.0 #8 - Ribs - Dan
Cookoff 2.0 #9 - Citrus fruit - Moonablaze
Cookoff 2.0 #10 - Clams - Thierry
Cookoff 2.0 #11 - Ground Beef - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #12 - Olives - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #13 - Slaw - Nolafoodie

Spring has sprung, and it's time to start firing up our grills. What better accompaniment is there to grilled and barbecued food than a cool, refreshing slaw?

So, do you have a great slaw recipe to share? Traditional or not, with or without mayo, sweet or savory -- let's see what ya got!
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby Unknown Foodie » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:28 am

I've been making this slaw for years and it's my favorite.

Sweet & Sour Coleslaw

Ingredients:
1/2 head Napa/Green cabbage, sliced thin or shredded
1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 cup cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon celery seed

Directions:
Toss the cabbage, onions and peppers and salt heavily in a collandar resting over a bowl. Allow mixture to drain for 2 - 4 hours remixing occasionally. Rinse the cabbage mix well and stuff into a clean widemouth Mason, pickle or mayo jar.
In a small saucepan, bring the vinegar, sugar, mustard seed, and celery seed to a boil until sugar is dissolved. Then pour the solution over the cabbage and the peppers and allow it to cool. Store in the refrigerator for 3 - 4 days before serving.
If you want to spice it up, add a fresh sliced Jalapeno pepper or two to the mix.
A virtual fountain of useless knowledge!

Unknown Foodie
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Unknown Foodie » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:43 am

:D
Last edited by Unknown Foodie on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unknown Foodie
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Grovite » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:22 am

Bandera Cole Slaw

Made this up for a catering gig in, as the name says, Bandera back in 2000. I've never been a fan of creamy, mayonaise-y slaw, so, this was born.

• 1 Head of Cabbage, shredded (I tried it with red cabbage and it looked really wierd, so stick with the green)
  • 1 Jicama, shredded
  • 3-4 large Chiles, stemmed, seeded, roasted, chilled and julienned (I prefer Anaheims, and if it's the right season and you can get them, Hatch Chiles, but Pablanos work well and add a little extra heat)
  • Couple of bunchs of green onions, sliced
  • 1/2 Bunch of Cilantro, chopped
  • GOOD black olives, sliced. I can not stress this enough. I don't mean those tasteless black olives from the can, but good ones from an olive bar.
  • About 1/2 C of salsa verde (Recipe to follow, but if you don't have time, a jar of the pre-made will do, but please no Pace or any sh*t like that)
  • 2T Extra Virgin Olive Oil (If it's from Texas or Mexico, even better :D)
  • 2T Red Wine Vinegar
  • 2T Piloncillo, grated (That's the cone of brown, unrefined sugar you see in the "Latin" section at your grocery store. If you can't find that, "Sugar in the Raw" works too)
  • 2T Kosher Salt
  • 2T Fresh Ground Black Pepper
  • Juice from 2 Key Limes

In a big bowl (a giant stainless job from the restaurant supply house works great for this), mix the salsa, oil, vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper and lime juice together and let stand for a few minutes.

Add all the other stuff to the bowl and toss making sure that everything is well coated. Cover with plastic wrap (Glad Press'n Seal!!) toss it in the fridge and let it chill for at least a couple of hours.

That's it. Enjoy :D

Salsa Verde

Okay, this is real simple, but the ingredients may not be that easy to find in some parts.
  • 6 Tomatillos, husked, rinsed and chopped (You can roast them too to add a little more depth)
  • 1/2 White onion, medium dice
  • 2-3 Jalapenos, stemmed, seeded and chopped (If you like it mild, just use one chile, if you like it hot, sub in Serranos. You can also roast these as well)
  • 1/4 Bunch of Cliantro, chopped
  • 3 cloves of Garlic, minced
  • 2T Kosher Salt
  • 2T Fresh Ground Black Pepper
  • 2T Water

Toss all that stuff in a blender and blend it till fairly smooth. If you're making it for the slaw, you want it well blended, if you want it as a table salsa, you can leave it a little chunky.

You want to let the salsa rest for about half an hour to allow the flavors to meld.
Rock & Roll is like Mexican food. As it improves in quality, it stops being what it is.
Grovite
Red-Headed Stepchild

Postby Unknown Foodie » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:41 pm

Quick Cole Slaw.....& I mean QUICK!

1 bag of Dole slaw mix
1 jar of Marzetti Slaw Dressing

Combine, mix well and serve. :wink:

Unknown Foodie
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby mhalbrook » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:47 pm

This one works pretty well for a burger topping rather than a side, but...

Iceburg Letuce (or use Romaine if ya wanna shred that)
Balsamic Vinegar
Mayo
Spicy Brown Mustard or Dijon Mustard.
Pickle Relish

Shred the lettuce and mix the rest of the stuff together, to taste.
mhalbrook
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby HokieMan » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:29 pm

Shelby's Slaw
4-6 c finely chopped cabbage
1/4 c grated carrots
1 bunch broccoli (only florets), finely chopped
1 1/2 c finely chopped cauliflower
2 c mayonnaise
3 Tbsp white vinegar
6-7 Tbsp sugar
salt/pepper to taste

Mix cabbage, carrots, broccoli, and cauliflower together in bowl. In mixing bowl, mix mayo, white vinegar, and sugar until sugar dissolves. Add to cabbage mixture and mix well. Add salt/pepper to taste.
HokieMan
Seaman Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:51 am

Speaking of slaw...

DH just showed me a video on coleslaw from an Arabic-language cooking show.

The host made the salad in two bowls: one had shredded green cabbage, and the other shredded red cabbage. Shredded carrots, red and green bell peppers, and zucchini, as well as corn kernels, were divided among both bowls. Both bowls were dressed with the same dressing, made with mayo, sour cream, a little lemon juice, honey, onion and garlic powders (why not use fresh, I don't know), a couple pinches of ground coriander, and salt & pepper. To serve, she assembled individual layered salads with the red and green slaws.

Thought that was kind of interesting and just wanted to add it to this thread for archiving. :)
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:14 pm

:oops: I was just notified that I've gone past the two-week deadline for selecting a winner. Sorry for the delay, folks.

Anyway, while all the recipes submitted were great (and yes, I tried 'em!), in the end, there can be only one. ;)

So, congrats to Grovite and his Bandera Cole Slaw. :clap:

Take it away, Grovite.
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby Grovite » Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:58 am

Hope you liked it :D

It goes over well every time I make it. Sometimes I use more salsa, but I've learned that anything more than 1 cup makes it too watery.
Rock & Roll is like Mexican food. As it improves in quality, it stops being what it is.
Grovite
Red-Headed Stepchild

Return to Cookoffs