[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Cookoff 2.0 #15 - Yogurt

Cookoff 2.0 #15 - Yogurt

Cookoff archives

Cookoff 2.0 #15 - Yogurt

Postby eye4got » Wed May 06, 2009 1:46 am

Cookoff 2.0 #1 - Heat Infusion - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #2 - Tomatoes - Unknown Foodie
Cookoff 2.0 #3 - Butternut Squash - Jackiecat
Cookoff 2.0 #4 - Fennel - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #5 - Grains of Paradise - PattyE
Cookoff 2.0 #6 - Eggplant - Geimerst
Cookoff 2.0 #7 - Soup - Pixie
Cookoff 2.0 #8 - Ribs - Dan
Cookoff 2.0 #9 - Citrus fruit - Moonablaze
Cookoff 2.0 #10 - Clams - Thierry
Cookoff 2.0 #11 - Ground Beef - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #12 - Olives - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #13 - Slaw - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #14 - Peppercorns - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #15 - Yogurt - Eye4got

I chose another everyday ingredient - Yogurt! Home-made, store-bought, flavored or plain, let's see how you cook* with it!

*Note that the term "cook", as used here, does not necessarily involve the application of heat. If you use yogurt in a cold soup, or salad dressing, or have a killer tzatziki recipe, feel free to post it.
"I do believe that the supreme arrogance to believe that you understand the mind of the creator of the universe and are empowered to judge other humans in God's name is at the root of many of humanity's problems."
-Kinsley
eye4got
Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Wed May 06, 2009 4:24 am

If you folks don't mind, I'm going to post another string of Middle Eastern recipes, just because it's nice having them organized by ingredient, and yogurt figures so prominently in ME cuisine.

So, let's start with:

Basic Yogurt Sauce (Laban)

* 1 pint yogurt (Greek-style or Labneh is best, or use sour cream and add lemon juice. Regular yogurt won't be as rich, but you can augment with 4 oz. cream cheese to compensate.)
* 1 quart beef or chicken broth or stock
* Juice of one lemon (more if you like it really tangy)
* 1 pinch ground nutmeg
* 3-4 cloves garlic, minced/pressed
* Salt and pepper to taste
* 1-2 T. corn starch, as needed

In medium Dutch oven, bring yogurt/labneh, broth/stock (reserve a little to dissolve corn starch), nutmeg, and garlic to a simmer. Season to taste. Thicken with corn starch as needed, to reach a gravy-like consistency. Stir in lemon juice. You may need to smooth the sauce with a stick blender.

Serve as a topping for roasted beef, lamb, or chicken. You can even spoon some over fish, but don't be surprised if an elderly Arabic lady accosts you for combining fish with dairy, which would, according to the old wives' tale, cause GI distress. Old Arabic ladies have obviously never eaten Creole seafood bisques, or any fish dishes topped with cream sauces. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kafta bi Laban (Kafta in Yogurt sauce)
* 1 lb. ground beef (or beef and lamb blend)
* 1 onion, minced
* 1/2 bunch parsley, finely chopped
* Few sprigs mint, finely chopped (about 2 T.)
* Few sprigs cilantro, finely chopped (about 2 T., optional)
* Cumin, coriander, allspice, and cardamom, to taste
* 2 large potatoes, cut into 1" cubes
* One recipe Basic Yogurt Sauce
* Optional: 2 T. tahini (sesame seed paste)
* Oil for frying

Combine first seven ingredients and mix well. This mixture is called "kafta."

Form kafta into 1.5" balls and flatten slightly into lentil shaped patties. Deep fry or bake until well browned. Deep fry potatoes, drain and salt to taste.

In medium Dutch oven, prepare yogurt sauce, holding off on corn starch. Stir in tahini, if using. Add kafta and potatoes and simmer for 15 minutes. Thicken with corn starch as needed, to reach a gravy-like consistency. Serve over yellow rice.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mansaf

This ancient Bedouin dish is also the national dish of Jordan. Though it doesn't seem appealing "on paper," it's actually delicious, and everyone I know who has tried it has raved about it. It's so rich and decadent that I suspect it might have even had something to do with Leviticus. ;)

STEP 1:

2 lbs. bone-in lamb, beef, or chicken pieces (chicken can be skinless, but should be cut into 8 pieces; red meat pieces should be in chunks, approximately fist-sized, or 3-4" diameter, 2" thick steaks)
1 large onion, quartered
3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 quarts water
Salt and pepper, to taste
Mixed spices (coriander, cumin, allspice, etc.)

Cook meat with onion, garlic, and seasonings, in water as appropriate. If using beef or lamb shoulder or other tough cuts, simmer very gently, skimming scum from top, for 2-3 hours until fork-tender. If using chicken, poach by bringing to a rolling boil, then covering pot tightly, turning off heat, and and not disturbing the pot for an hour. Remove meat from liquid and set aside. Strain cooking liquid and reserve.

STEP 2:

Double recipe Basic Yogurt Sauce, made with reserved cooking liquid and omitting starch
6 cups cooked yellow rice (kept very warm)
6 sheets of shrak/marqouq/saaj/mountain bread (this is super-thin flatbread, available at Middle Eastern or international grocery stores; more authentic) OR 6 cups Middle Eastern flatbread (pita, lavash, naan, etc.), torn into small bite-sized pieces
1/2 cup finely-chopped parsley
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts and/or blanched or slivered almonds

In a deep platter (or shallow bowl or casserole dish), lay down pieces of shrak or bread. Ladle enough yogurt sauce over bread to cover it. Cover the platter and let bread soak in hot liquid for 10-15 minutes.

While bread soaks, return meat to remaining yogurt sauce to reheat.

Distribute rice over soaked bread. Fluff with a fork. Remove meat from sauce and arrange over rice. Sprinkle parsley and nuts on top or meat and rice. Serve remaining yogurt sauce on the side as a gravy.

Traditionally, mansaf is eaten communally: diners gather around the platter and dig in with the clean fingers of one hand (which I still find rather gross), or spoons. This goes against the principles of sanitation held by Westerners and most modern Arabs, so just use a large serving spoon and individual plates and flatware for each diner. :) This recipe serves about 6 hungry people.

Mahshi Kousa bi Laban (Stuffed Squash/Zucchini in Yogurt Sauce)

STEP 1: Meat and rice filling

* 1 lb. ground meat (beef or lamb)
* 2 large onions, finely diced, divided
* 2 T. olive oil
* Optional: cumin, allspice, cinnamon, and cardamom, to taste
* Optional: finely minced chile, or a dash of cayenne pepper

* 2 cups rice (uncooked)
* 2 medium tomatoes, diced small (or 1 can diced tomatoes, drained)
* Optional: just about any seasonings or herb/spice blends you desire: Moroccan, Greek, Italian, dried mint, ground anise/fennel, etc., to taste.

Soak rice in approximately 4 cups very hot, or even boiling, water. Set aside while you prepare remainder of filling.

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, saute one onion in olive oil until softened and starting to brown. Add ground meat and next five ingredients, and stir well until beef is fully cooked and no excess liquid remains. Allow to cool at least to body temperature.

Drain rice. In a large bowl, combine rice, meat mixture, and remaining ingredients (one onion, tomatoes, and seasonings).

STEP 2:

8-12 small zucchini or yellow squash (about 4" long)
One recipe yogurt sauce, omitting starch

Core zucchini/squash by trimming stem ends until ends are about 1" in diameter, then coring, either with a zucchini corer or an apple corer. take care to ensure that the opposite ends remain closed. Perform this task very gently and carefully: small incisions in the zucchini are OK (some cooks even make them intentionally), but large puncture holes are not. Chop cores and set aside.

Stuff zucchini with rice and meat filling mixture, taking care to tap gently to remove air pockets, and pack firmly.

Arrange zucchini in large saucepan or small pot, such that they all stand on their closed ends. Gently pour enough yogurt sauce to cover, reserving remaining sauce. Cover pot and simmer for approximately 45 minutes, or until rice is cooked.

Meanwhile, in separate saucepan, combine remaining filling mixture, chopped zucchini cores, and just enough liquid to cover. Simmer until rice is fully cooked and little to no liquid remains. Stir in reserved yogurt sauce, adjust seasonings and simmer a little longer, until rice becomes very well done and stew takes on a porridge-like consistency.

Remove stuffed zucchini from pot and arrange on a platter. Top with cooking liquid. Serve with stew, or save the stew for the next day.

Cucumber-Yogurt Salad

1 large hothouse/English cucumber, diced
2-3 green onions, finely chopped
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup chopped mint
2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
1 cup yogurt (Greek style or Labna is best, but plain can be used too)
Finely diced chile/jalapeno, to taste, or a couple dashes of green Tabasco
Optional: 2-3 radishes, diced finely
Optional: lemon juice, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste

In a mixing bowl, stir together all ingredients until well blended. Serve as an accompaniment to rice dishes, a topping for kebab or falafel sandwiches, or a dip with pita bread.
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Sun May 10, 2009 11:29 pm

Yogurt & spice marinated chicken, then baked. Or in a tandoor (yeah, right). I guess a grill will sub.
Nola? You can provide recipes.
Darn good stuff.
I'm sure mom introduced me to this too.

This is about what I've made, but I didn't use a rub, I put the seasonings in with the yogurt marinade. And I usually use mixes, like Penzeys curries. But you get the idea... :P

http://beyondsalmon.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... icken.html

8 chicken thighs or 4 chicken legs (skin on, bone in)
(I tried it with both and I prefer just thighs)

Marinade:
2 cups plain yogurt
3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2 inches ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 cup cilantro or mint
2 1/2 tsp kosher salt or to taste (Please note that the original version of this post incorrectly called for 2 Tbsp of kosher salt. Thanks to Grace for testing this recipe and finding my mistake.)

Spice rub:
1 Tbsp coriander
1 Tbsp cumin,
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cardamom
2 tsp kosher salt (whether you need to add this depends on how salty your marinade was -- use your best judgment and skip if you are sensitive to salt)
1/2 tsp black pepper
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby lunanoir » Thu May 14, 2009 6:14 pm

This is Beenie's recipe, but it's yogurty and very easy and delicious:

16oz. plain yogurt (Greek if you can get it)
16oz. sour cream
8oz. crumbled feta
1 10oz. pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste

combine all ingredients, serve with chips or veggies.
lunanoir
Admiral Briner

Postby Quizmistress » Mon May 18, 2009 2:05 am

Apple Yogurt Snack

In a bowl combine:

Cored & diced 1 apple - your fav variety, tho a sweet works better than say a Granny Smith
1/3 cup vanilla yogurt
2 pinches of cinnamon
pinch of ground clove
pinch of nutmeg
2 t. coconut flakes - if desired
1/8 cup raisins - dried cranberries can be subbed
1/8 cup nuts - pecans or walnuts are suggested

Fold together & enjoy.
Image Image
Quizmistress
Vice Admiral Briner

Location: Hopefully where I need to be when I need to be there

Postby okbye » Mon May 18, 2009 2:44 am

I really love a yogurt/chicken curry but have never made it. Anyone have a recipe?
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby eye4got » Sun May 24, 2009 11:45 pm

Thanks to all who posted recipes for this cookoff. I've enjoyed trying them and liked them all. Since I have to single out one winner, I name Nolafoodie's Kafta in Yogurt sauce. Congratulations, Nola!
"I do believe that the supreme arrogance to believe that you understand the mind of the creator of the universe and are empowered to judge other humans in God's name is at the root of many of humanity's problems."
-Kinsley
eye4got
Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Thu May 28, 2009 1:33 am

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Eek, I totally dropped the ball on this one! Sorry!

OK, so thanks to the farmer's market, I've got a boatload of summer squash in my possession. Yellow squash, zucchini, white pattypan -- I've got it all, two crisper drawers full.

Can y'all help me use it? :D

Cookoff 2.0 #16 - Summer Squash!
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Return to Cookoffs