[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Cookoff 2.0 #16 - Summer Squash

Cookoff 2.0 #16 - Summer Squash

Cookoff archives

Cookoff 2.0 #16 - Summer Squash

Postby nolafoodie » Thu May 28, 2009 1:42 am

Cookoff 2.0 #1 - Heat Infusion - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #2 - Tomatoes - Unknown Foodie
Cookoff 2.0 #3 - Butternut Squash - Jackiecat
Cookoff 2.0 #4 - Fennel - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #5 - Grains of Paradise - PattyE
Cookoff 2.0 #6 - Eggplant - Geimerst
Cookoff 2.0 #7 - Soup - Pixie
Cookoff 2.0 #8 - Ribs - Dan
Cookoff 2.0 #9 - Citrus fruit - Moonablaze
Cookoff 2.0 #10 - Clams - Thierry
Cookoff 2.0 #11 - Ground Beef - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #12 - Olives - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #13 - Slaw - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #14 - Peppercorns - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #15 - Yogurt - Eye4got
Cookoff 2.0 #16 - Summer Squash - Nolafoodie

'Tis the season for summer squash! Farmers' markets, produce stands, and even megamarts are displaying rainbows of yellow, green, and white varieties. So, for this cookoff, let's celebrate this bounty.

How do you like your summer squash?
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Sat May 30, 2009 12:23 am

Since no one has replied... No recipes here, as usual.
Sauteed lightly in butter & olive oil (or just butter) and fresh herbs. Gotta leave some bite to it. Lots of herbs would work: basil, of course. Marjoram. Thyme, a favorite of mine. Oh, and I love to make a mixed sautee with onion & garlic. It's great leftover at room temp or cold/cool.
Grilled too, but I no longer have a grill.

And I'd love to try the suthehn squash casserole that I've read about.

I prefer patty pans, the light green scalloped ones (is that what they're called in your neck of the woods?) and "summer squash," the crooked neck yellow ones. Small zukes are good too, but they're more filler and for color.

Just standard, extremely simple stuff. Good butter & fresh herbs help.
(Not really. Olive oil is absolutely my go to.)

I always think of winter squash for soup, but summer squash is a must-have in a lighter, summer veggie soup.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Norm357 » Sat May 30, 2009 12:54 am

Cut into coins, toss with a little olive oil and salt and pepper, and roast at 375 for 20 minutes.
Don't pity the rescue dog, adopt him. If he was human, he would be the one with stories to tell and books to write.

Any idiot can kill a shark. It takes a real man to catch one, kiss him on the head, and let him go.

Norm357
Admiral Briner

Postby beenie » Sat May 30, 2009 1:15 am

No actual recipes here, either. My favorite way to prepare uber-fresh farmers' market ingredients is quick and simple, much like Carla and Norm have already posted. Some oil and/or butter, some garlic and/or shallots, herbs, etc., a quick saute/roast/grill... that's really all I do or want to do with them.
I've been kissed by Pixie - for real!
beenie
Big Sister

Postby Norm357 » Sat May 30, 2009 1:33 am

beenie wrote:No actual recipes here, either. My favorite way to prepare uber-fresh farmers' market ingredients is quick and simple, much like Carla and Norm have already posted. Some oil and/or butter, some garlic and/or shallots, herbs, etc., a quick saute/roast/grill... that's really all I do or want to do with them.

Troof Sista!
Don't pity the rescue dog, adopt him. If he was human, he would be the one with stories to tell and books to write.

Any idiot can kill a shark. It takes a real man to catch one, kiss him on the head, and let him go.

Norm357
Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Sat May 30, 2009 2:27 am

carla wrote:I prefer patty pans, the light green scalloped ones (is that what they're called in your neck of the woods?)

Well, for some reason, most of the pattypans available around here are white. I've seen yellow and green pattypans on rare occasions, but they're definitely predominantly white. So most people around here call them "white squash," though you do hear the name "pattypan" from a scattering of people.

The farmer's market grower from whom I buy most of my veggies these days mentioned that pattypans are tastier than mirlitons (I agree) and can be used in place of mirlitons. Here's a suggestion (of course, this is not a cookoff entry). Try this recipe, which is pretty much how I make my mirlitons, and use pattypans instead. Instead of the 3 mirlitons cut into 6 servings, use 6 small pattypans (or just make 3 large servings using 3 large ones). Enjoy!
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Sat May 30, 2009 9:55 am

I'm going from memory here, as I haven't made this in years (can't find the shredding disc for the Cuisinart :oops: ).

Shredded Zucchini Salad

2 medium zucchini
1 medium carrot
1 clove garlic (grated on a microplane or very finely chopped)
1-2 shallots, depending on size, sliced thin
1/4 cup mayonaise
1/4 cup sour cream (or yogurt)
chopped fresh herbs (parsley, dill, etc.)
S&P

Shred zucchini in food processor & place in colander with salt to drain excess water; rinse & pat dry. Shred carrot in food processor. Toss zucchini, carrot & onion in large bowl. Mix together mayo, sour cream & grated garlic. Pour mixture over veggies & toss to coat. Adjust seasoning with S&P to taste & garnish with chopped herbs.
(For presentation, I put sliced cherry tomatoes around the edge.)

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby ajkdvm » Sun May 31, 2009 2:26 am

Korean zucchini pancakes (hobak jjeon)

These are savory, not sweet. There are tons of variations but this is a fairly traditional combination:

1 cup AP flour (if you want slightly chewier pancakes, substitute up to 1/4 cup rice flour for the AP)
1 cup very cold water
1 egg, lightly beaten
heavy pinch salt
1 medium zucchini, julienned
3-4 scallions, green parts only, sliced on the bias
Optional: 1 small red chile, finely chopped
Optional: small amount of ground pork, finely chopped

Mix the flour, water, egg and salt together (batter will be quite thin). Fold in the zucchini and scallions (along with any of the Optionals if using).

Heat large skillet over medium high; heat a couple tablespoons of oil (any neutral vegetable oil is fine) until it shimmers. Drop batter by ladle or spoon to make 4-5" rounds; flip when the edges start to brown, then cook the other side till GBD.

These are best when hot but taste fine at room temp, and you can quickly reheat them on a hot dry skillet. Serve with a dipping sauce made of soy sauce, roasted sesame oil and a splash of rice vinegar.
ajkdvm
Lieutenant Briner

Postby sadiedog » Sun May 31, 2009 9:12 pm

Grilled Vegetables

5 roma tomatoes - quartered
1 red bell pepper - cut into 1" cubes
1 green bell pepper - cut into 1" cubes
1 lb button mushrooms - quartered if large, halved if smaller
2 zucchini - cut into 1/2" wide chunks
2 yellow squash - cut into 1/2" wide chunks
1 large yellow or red onion - cut into 8ths (leave a bit of root so they hold together during grilling)

Dressing:

1 cup olive oil
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
2 - 3 cloves garlic - minced
1 tsp Parsley
1 tsp Thyme
1 tsp Oregano

Mix all ingredients together and toss with the cut vegetables. Set the grill to medium heat, place foil on the top of the grates and grill the veggies until dark around the edges and the just cooked.

If you allow the vegetables to set overnight or longer, the dressing permeates all the vegetables and tastes really good just as is.
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby Unknown Foodie » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:43 am

Skillet Zucchini Casserole

In a 12" deep oven safe skillet or saute pan over medium heat add:

1 tbsp good olive oil
4 - 5 small (8 - 10") zucchini/summer squash cut into coins
1 medium yellow onion sliced
3 large tomato's concassed
2 cloves of garlic pressed
1/2 cup of sliced black olives
1 tspn Italian seasoning

When veggies are softened, remove from heat, stir in a cup of shredded or cubed mozzarella/aged provlone cheese and top with 1/4 cup of parmesian cheese. Place pan in a 375 degree oven for 8 - 10 minutes. Remove from oven and serve. You will imediately recognize the flavor and it's a great dish for slipping veggies into your kids diet. :wink:
A virtual fountain of useless knowledge!

Unknown Foodie
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:12 pm

I like raw veggies. My favorite summer squash is the crooked neck yellow. Patty pans are a little slimey. Zuchinni are fine.

Slice or dice your choice of squash and red or sweet onion and marinate in vinaigrette. Then toss with whatever else you like.
My faves are tomato (of course!), tofu, artichoke hearts and avocado. Asparagus would be good too.
And dried or fresh herbs: basil, tarragon, dill, flat leaf parsley, mint.
This could be a squash panzanella. :)
Or add it to cous cous, tabouli, orzo or rice - white, brown, wild, jasmine etc, or other grains I have not yet tried. Or white beans.

The perfect meal, along with chilled poached salmon with a dill sauce, for a hot day.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Pixietoes » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:50 am

Pixie’s Squash Casserole

1 lb yellow squash, sliced
1 med onion, chopped
1/2 t. salt, plus a bit more
1 t. sugar
1 sleeve Ritz crackers, crushed
1 c. grated sharp cheddar (could use mild, if you prefer)
2 eggs, beaten
1 c. half and half
1/2 c. butter, plus 2 T. cut into little bits

Lay squash and onion on sheet pan, sprinkle lightly with salt and bake at 350 until tender. Meanwhile, combine 1/2 t. salt, sugar, 2/3 of cracker crumbs, cheese, eggs, cream, and butter in a large oven proof bowl or casserole. Use a spatula to scoop squash and onions into custard mixture and combine. Top with remaining cracker crumbs and dot with bits of butter. Bake at 400 F for 1/2 to 1 hour or until set (depends on how much moisture you drive off in the baking of the squash).
Last edited by Pixietoes on Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
“...If you can make a girl laugh - you can make her do anything...” Marilyn Monroe
Pixietoes
Mom

Postby Pixietoes » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:57 am

This technique is good if you find you have zucchini that was on the vine too long. The tough old squash is more palatable when treated as you might a winter squash.

Stuffed Zucchini

1 oversized Zucchini

Slice in half, scoop out the seeds, salt it liberally and roast in 400F oven for 15 minutes, until it has given up some of it's water and may be starting to color around the edges.

Fill hollow with stuffing that might include any number of leftovers. I like sausage crumbled with tomatoes, young zucchini, garlic, onions, peppers and cheese. Just chop it all up fine and combine it with a handful of whatever cheese you have in the fridge. (Jack, cheddar, goat cheese, and others have all worked well for me.) Top with a dusting of bread crumbs and bake at 350 F until heated through.
“...If you can make a girl laugh - you can make her do anything...” Marilyn Monroe
Pixietoes
Mom

Postby Kinsley » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:10 am

sadiedog wrote:Grilled Vegetables

5 roma tomatoes - quartered
1 red bell pepper - cut into 1" cubes
1 green bell pepper - cut into 1" cubes
1 lb button mushrooms - quartered if large, halved if smaller
2 zucchini - cut into 1/2" wide chunks
2 yellow squash - cut into 1/2" wide chunks
1 large yellow or red onion - cut into 8ths (leave a bit of root so they hold
together during grilling)

Dressing:

1 cup olive oil
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
2 - 3 cloves garlic - minced
1 tsp Parsley
1 tsp Thyme
1 tsp Oregano

Mix all ingredients together and toss with the cut vegetables. Set the grill
to medium heat, place foil on the top of the grates and grill the veggies
until dark around the edges and the just cooked.

If you allow the vegetables to set overnight or longer, the dressing
permeates all the vegetables and tastes really good just as is.

That's almost exactly what I did for dinner last night, except I left out the
tomatoes. There was a boneless chuck roast on the other half of the grill.
Tonight I'll cut the leftover meat into bite size pieces, stir fry for just a
minute it with the leftover veggies and a little hoisin and serve it over
rice. I might toss some tomatoes into the stir fry, I've never been real
happy with grilled tomatoes. :?

Last week we did about the same thing with shrimp instead of beef.

The Artist formerly known as BigCrab

"They were so preoccupied with what they could do, that they didn't
think about whether they should.''
- Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park .

"You can't always get what you want; but if you try sometimes,
you just might find, you get what you need."
- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Postby nolafoodie » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:26 pm

Goodness, this cook-off has run over time. :oops: OK, last call for submissions. I'll announce a winner tonight.
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:43 pm

No new submissions?

Well, then...

The vet wins! :D

Congratulations, ajkdvm -- the zucchini pancakes were delicious (and surprisingly not greasy)! :D
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby ajkdvm » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:19 pm

Woohoo! :D Glad you liked 'em, Nola - and yes, they're not greasy as long as you preheat the pan and the oil. Try it with a handful of teensy (~110-count) raw shrimp, too.

Will start the next cookoff in a new post...
ajkdvm
Lieutenant Briner

Return to Cookoffs