[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Cookoff 2.0 #19 - Summer herbs: basil/parsley/oregano/etc.

Cookoff 2.0 #19 - Summer herbs: basil/parsley/oregano/etc.

Cookoff archives

Cookoff 2.0 #19 - Summer herbs: basil/parsley/oregano/etc.

Postby ajkdvm » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:37 pm

Cookoff 2.0 #1 - Heat Infusion - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #2 - Tomatoes - Unknown Foodie
Cookoff 2.0 #3 - Butternut Squash - Jackiecat
Cookoff 2.0 #4 - Fennel - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #5 - Grains of Paradise - PattyE
Cookoff 2.0 #6 - Eggplant - Geimerst
Cookoff 2.0 #7 - Soup - Pixie
Cookoff 2.0 #8 - Ribs - Dan
Cookoff 2.0 #9 - Citrus fruit - Moonablaze
Cookoff 2.0 #10 - Clams - Thierry
Cookoff 2.0 #11 - Ground Beef - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #12 - Olives - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #13 - Slaw - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #14 - Peppercorns - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #15 - Yogurt - Eye4got
Cookoff 2.0 #16 - Summer Squash - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #17 - Collards - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #18 - Lemongrass - Fleur

In honor of my burgeoning garden, the theme of this cookoff is summer herbs: basil, parsley, oregano, thyme, rosemary, and what have you. Whether as the main feature or a supporting player, individually or in any combination, show off your stuff!
ajkdvm
Lieutenant Briner

Postby Quizmistress » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:23 pm

I give you Parsto

Enjoy!
Image Image
Quizmistress
Vice Admiral Briner

Location: Hopefully where I need to be when I need to be there

Postby Parrothead » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:17 am

2# large shrimp (26-30 count), thawed, peeled, tail on

Juice of one lemon
Juice of half an orange
2T minced garlic
10-12 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 6-8" sprig of fresh rosemary
Olive oil
Sea Salt
Fresh ground black pepper

Put the shrimp in a large bowl, and juice the lemon and orange over it. Add the garlic. Strip the leaves off the thyme sprigs into the bowl. Strip the leaves off the rosemary and mash them in your fingers a bit, add to the bowl. Pour some olive oil in - maybe 1/4c or so. Add 1-2 teaspoons of sea salt and black pepper to your liking. Put a lid on the bowl and shake it up well. Let marinade 30-45 minutes while you get your grill ready.

Grill 'em in a perforated grill pan in small batches (maybe 1/2# or so at a time) over medium-high heat until barely done - they'll finish on their own in the bowl you have off to the side to serve them in.
"If our lives were that simple we'd live in the past..."
Parrothead
Admiral Briner

Postby lunanoir » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:16 pm

2 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
2 tbsp fresh chopped basil
2 tbsp fresh chopped Italian parsley (flat leaf parsley)
½ tsp ground pepper
½ tsp salt
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp soy sauce
4 tbsp olive oil
1 whole salmon filet, cut into 4-6 pieces.

Mix all of the ingredients (except salmon) together until they are a the consistency of a paste. Brush the mixture over the flesh side of the salmon pieces, and then put them on the grill over medium heat, flesh side down, for 6 minutes. Flip them back over, skin side down, and cook to the desired temperature.

I tend to marinate this for an hour or so in the fridge to let the flavors meld. I've also done this in a grillpan on the stovetop with good results.
lunanoir
Admiral Briner

Postby LucyLu » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:44 pm

This is my newest favorite stuff! It can be used as sandwich spread/filling, ravioli filling, pizza topping, inside a wrap, lasagna, the possibilities are endless! It's truly tasty stuff, don't be turned off by the main ingredient . . .

"Cheesy" Tofu Spread

8-10oz. Extra Firm tofu
1 1/2 t. kosher salt
Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
1 1/2 T. extra virgin olive oil or water
1 T. fresh thyme, minced
3 large fresh basil leaves, chiffonade

Crumble tofu into a food processor. Add salt, pepper, and oil and pulse until tofu is broken down, about 10 pulses. Scrap down sides of processor with a spatula and add herbs. Process mixture until mostly smooth, about 10 seconds, scraping sides of processor once or twice to incorporate all ingredients.

Chill for 1 hour. Use is, like I said above, as sandwich fill, over pasta, pizza, toast, on salads, in wraps, etc.

-L
Lucy

~The GEFP official Ace of Cakes~
LucyLu
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Dana » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:02 pm

Growing up, I didn't know this was a traditional Greek dinner. I just thought it was "Nummy!" (And, that Mom prolly hadn't gone shopping.)

Of course, the French do it, the Italians....

I served this to Tim a few weeks ago...thinking he might not like it. We've eaten it 3 times now.

Spaghetti with Brown Butter.

Pasta
Dried Oregano
Dried Parsley
Parm cheese (green can is fine)

Cook pasta al dente.
Partially blanche - leaving a bit of starch.
Put pasta in bowl, top with grated parm or greek cheese, lots of dried oregano, some dried parsley.

Meanwhile, in empty pasta pot, melt butter until dark brown.
As one website puts it...

"Keep your eye on the melting butter and soon you will see the milk solids begin to foam and quickly disappear...THIS is where you have to watch carefully.

Your butter will turn from a golden yellow to a chestnut brown very rapidly. Your goal is to get a nut-brown color to your butter."

Pour over pasta - including the darkest drippings at the end.

Eat while it's hot!
Enjoy!
Marco Polo didn't have much of a travel agent...Heck of a good publicist, though! - Alton Brown
My ramblings...Cookin' At Café D->Click-o-Rama
Dana
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Pam T » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:20 am

This is my first post in the food category.

It's a recipe I created this summer when it was too stinkin' hot to cook.

Pam's Pleasing Pesto Pasta with Bacon!

6 slices of bacon, sliced and browned
1 – 1 ½ cups plain bread cubes, dried
tomato in big chunks
favorite pesto
rotelli pasta
save pasta water
basil or mint leaves in thin slices

Boil pasta in a large pot of salted water, reserve 1 cup pasta water just before draining.

Slice and cook the bacon until almost crisp, remove and drain.
Add bread cubes to hot bacon grease (or olive oil or butter),
lay out the cubes and let them brown, flip and repeat.

Remove cubes.
To the grease, quickly add pasta,
a little water,
2 – 3 T. pesto,
tomato and serve gently to coat.
Adjust salt and pepper.
Add more water as needed to lighten the sauce

Sprinkle with basil or mint, bread cubes, and bacon :D
The pasta water and tiny bread crumbs help tighten up the sauce a bit.

This can be served warm or cold.
Man does not live by words alone,
though sometimes he has to eat them.

<")
_(()____
.. ""\\

Pam T
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby ajkdvm » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:47 pm

Guess it's time to wind this one up. Quizzy, loved the parsto; I used flat-leaf rather than curly, since that's what I've got growing, but it came out beautifully. And really, I liked all the recipes - even the tofu, which I usually don't care for (no, they haven't revoked my Asian card yet). But I've got to give this one to lunanoir for a seriously yummy marinade. Take it away, luna!
ajkdvm
Lieutenant Briner

Return to Cookoffs