[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Cookoff 2.0 #21 - Fall Squash

Cookoff 2.0 #21 - Fall Squash

Cookoff archives

Postby iSagittarius » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:05 am

Cookoff 2.0 #1 - Heat Infusion - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #2 - Tomatoes - Unknown Foodie
Cookoff 2.0 #3 - Butternut Squash - Jackiecat
Cookoff 2.0 #4 - Fennel - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #5 - Grains of Paradise - PattyE
Cookoff 2.0 #6 - Eggplant - Geimerst
Cookoff 2.0 #7 - Soup - Pixie
Cookoff 2.0 #8 - Ribs - Dan
Cookoff 2.0 #9 - Citrus fruit - Moonablaze
Cookoff 2.0 #10 - Clams - Thierry
Cookoff 2.0 #11 - Ground Beef - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #12 - Olives - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #13 - Slaw - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #14 - Peppercorns - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #15 - Yogurt - Eye4got
Cookoff 2.0 #16 - Summer Squash - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #17 - Collards - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #18 - Lemongrass - Fleur
Cookoff 2.0 #19 - Summer herbs: basil/parsley/oregano/etc. - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #20 - Tapas and party bites

#21 Recipes for any autumn squash: Pumpkin (please specify type), Acorn, Spagetti, Butternut, Italian Guguzzo (long green Italian Bat), Bannana squash, buttercup, Zuccini, or any I forgot. Dinner, sides or dessert dishes... Good Luck.
iSagittarius
Seaman Briner

Re: Cookoff 2.0 #21 - Fall Squash

Postby Butterbean » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:27 am

The soup below is a signature dish of a very nice restaurant in my area, the Back Burner. I've never made it myself, but I do have it every time I dine there. They have shared their recipe, and it's not difficult. I plan to make it soon!

Pumpkin Mushroom Soup

1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons oil or butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon curry powder or cumin
3 cups homemade chicken stock
1 pound can of pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
1 tablespoon honey
Dash nutmeg
Salt and pepper
1 cup heavy cream

Saute mushrooms and onion in oil or butter. Stir in flour and curry. Gradually add the broth, then the pumpkin, honey and seasonings to taste. Stir while cooking 15 minutes. Add cream and heat through without boiling. Top with a dollop of sour cream if desired. Makes 6 servings.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby jackiecat » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:28 pm

I made this last winter and it is AWESOME! I left out the saffron but followed the rest of the recipe exactly.
edited to add: Don't leave out the pancetta (use bacon if you don't have pancetta), that and roasting the squash are the two things that make this dish special.

Butternut Squash Risotto
Ina Garten

* 1 butternut squash (2 pounds)
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 6 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
* 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
* 2 ounces pancetta, diced
* 1/2 cup minced shallots (2 large)
* 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice (10 ounces)
* 1/2 cup dry white wine
* 1 teaspoon saffron threads
* 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Peel the butternut squash, remove the seeds, and cut it into 3/4-inch cubes. You should have about 6 cups. Place the squash on a sheet pan and toss it with the olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, tossing once, until very tender. Set aside.

Meanwhile, heat the chicken stock in a small covered saucepan. Leave it on low heat to simmer.

In a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter and saute the pancetta and shallots on medium-low heat for 10 minutes, until the shallots are translucent but not browned. Add the rice and stir to coat the grains with butter. Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add 2 full ladles of stock to the rice plus the saffron, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir, and simmer until the stock is absorbed, 5 to 10 minutes. Continue to add the stock, 2 ladles at a time, stirring every few minutes. Each time, cook until the mixture seems a little dry, then add more stock. Continue until the rice is cooked through, but still al dente, about 30 minutes total. Off the heat, add the roasted squash cubes and Parmesan. Mix well and serve.
Last edited by jackiecat on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheryl

I've been kissed by Pixie AND hugged by Holly!

I'm not a great cook, but I'm a GREAT taster - Ina Garten
jackiecat
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Kamidanshir » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:52 pm

Butternut Squash Pasta

1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2" dice
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
Juice from 1 lemon
Olive oil (enough to lightly coat everything)
Salt and pepper (to taste)
Red pepper flakes (to taste, but be aware that the heat will intensify a bit as it roasts)

Combine the above ingredients in a roasting pan or baking dish and bake at 400F until the squash is tender, 30-40 minutes. After about 20 minutes in the oven, start a large pot of salted water and toss in a pound of pasta when it boils. Cook and drain the pasta, then toss with the squash mixture in a large pot or bowl. Toss in a large handful of chopped Italian parsley and a small glug of olive oil. Serve with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Serves 4-6.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Kamidanshir
Dread Pirate Briner

Postby gypsy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:08 pm

SAVORY SQUASH GRATIN
Serves 8 to 10
This can be made early in the day and reheated just before serving, or put together up to Step #5 and refrigerated overnight.

10-12 cloves garlic, unpeeled
1/2 teaspoon olive oil
2 peeled, seeded and chunked fresh butternut squash
or
3 bags frozen butternut squash chunks (16 oz. each)
1 pound spinach, stems trimmed, large ribs removed
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
2 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme (I used dried)
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
3 tablespoons bread crumbs (I used Italian-flavored)
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded Gruyere cheese

1. Heat oven to 450°. Place garlic in an ovenproof ramekin, and drizzle with olive oil. Roast until light brown and very soft, about 20 minutes. Let stand until cool enough to handle; peel garlic and cut into slivers; set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 400°.

2. Put frozen squash chunks in large microwave-safe bowl; cook on HIGH for 20 minutes, stirring bowl at least once. Cook for additional time if necessary, until all squash is soft. Drain any liquid.

3. Place spinach in a steamer basket over boiling water, cover, and steam until wilted. Or, place spinach in microwave-safe bowl and cook on MED, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and squeeze as much water out as possible; chop roughly. Set aside.

4. Butter a 2 1/2-quart gratin dish or any 2 ½ quart high-sided casserole dish. Distribute half the squash in the dish. Distribute half the spinach and the sliced garlic over squash, and sprinkle with half of the thyme, nutmeg, salt and pepper, and cheeses, in that order. (I added a sprinkle of Wondra flour over the top to thicken the sauce, it’s very liquidy otherwise – you don’t have to do this part if you don’t want to, but I think it came out better this way.)

5. Arrange remaining squash over spinach, add remaining spinach and garlic, and sprinkle with remaining seasoning and Wondra flour in layers until all ingredients are used up or the dish is filled (whichever comes first) - don’t over-fill the dish or it’ll boil over in the oven.

6. Pour cream over assembled gratin. Bake at least 20 minutes. Remove from oven, press down on squash with a spatula to compress and distribute the liquid.

7. Sprinkle breadcrumbs and any remaining Parmesan cheese over squash; return to oven, and continue to bake, uncovered, until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes before serving.

8. To reheat after refrigeration: Do not add final layer of breadcrumb mixture. Remove from the refrigerator, and let come to room temperature, 15 to 20 minutes. Cover with parchment paper, and reheat in a 400° oven for 20 minutes. Top with bread-crumb mixture, and bake until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes. Garnish with thyme.
Breast cancer is a disease, not a marketing opportunity.
----------------------------
That Obama sticker on your car might as well say, "Yes, I'm Stupid".
----------------------------
Mangia e statte zitte.
gypsy
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby ajkdvm » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:12 pm

Butternut Squash Ravioli

1 large butternut squash
large handful garlic cloves, unpeeled
olive oil
fresh thyme leaves
salt and pepper
crushed red pepper, about 1 heaping teaspoon
about ¼ cup mascarpone (sour cream is an okay substitute)
freshly grated Parmesan
dash freshly ground nutmeg
1 large egg yolk
freshly made pasta sheets or 2 packages wonton skins

Preheat oven to 375°. Cut ends from squash and halve lengthwise. Remove and discard seeds. Cut each half crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices (do not peel).

Toss squash, garlic, oil, thyme, S&P and crushed red pepper in a large roasting pan until evenly mixed. Arrange squash slices in a single layer and roast until fork-tender, about 50 minutes. Set aside until cool enough to handle.

Using a spoon, scrape the squash from the skins into a bowl; discard skins. Squeeze the garlic pulp into the bowl with the squash; discard skins. Add mascarpone, Parmesan, nutmeg, egg yolk and whatever seasonings remain in the roasting pan to the bowl. Mash mixture until blended and almost smooth.

Cut pasta sheets into 3½-inch squares (or use wonton skins, which are fine) and fill, using a wash made of egg white mixed with a little warm water to seal the edges. Arrange without crowding on a half-sheet pan lined with parchment paper - as soon as the pan is full, stick it in the freezer until the ravioli are frozen solid (yes, even if you intend to cook them right away; they get gummy if they sit around).

Drop ravioli a few at a time into a large pot of rapidly boiling, heavily salted water and cook until they float. Fish them out gently with a spider or large slotted spoon; drain, then sauce lightly (I like a simple brown butter-sage sauce, or maybe a Mornay with Gruyère, Parm and/or Asiago) and serve.
ajkdvm
Lieutenant Briner

Postby moonablaze » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:10 pm

from simply recipes:
Classic Baked Acorn Squash Recipe
Print Options

* Print (no photos)
* Print (with photos)

Ingredients

* 1 Acorn squash
* 1 Tbsp Butter
* 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
* 2 teaspoons Maple Syrup
* Dash of Salt

Method

1 Preheat oven to 400°F.

2 Using a strong chef's knife, and perhaps a rubber mallet to help, cut the acorn squash in half, lengthwise, from stem to end. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and stringy stuff in the center of each half. Score the insides of each half several times with a sharp knife. Place each half in a baking pan, cut side up. Add about a 1/4 inch of water to the bottom of the baking pan so that the skins don't burn and the squash doesn't get dried out.

3 Coat the inside of each half with 1/2 a Tbsp of butter. Add a dash of salt if you are using unsalted butter. Add a Tbsp of brown sugar to the cavity of each half. Dribble on a teaspoon of maple syrup to each half.

4 Bake in the oven for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, until the squash is very soft and the tops are browned. Do not undercook. When finished, remove from oven and let cool a little before serving. Spoon any buttery sugar sauce that has not already been absorbed by the squash over the exposed areas.

Serves 2 to 4, depending on how much squash you like to eat.
A good cook is a sorceress who dispenses happiness.
- Elsa Schiapirelli

"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." -Doug Larson
moonablaze
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby iSagittarius » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:43 pm

My Quick contribution:
Fast Zuchinni quiche
3 cup zuchinni - Sliced thin (1/4"-1/8")
1/2 cup onion (Diced fine or grated)
1/2 - 1 cup cheese (Shredded- any kind, Mozarella, jack, chedar, american)
1/4 cup parmesean
1/2 cup light olive oil or canola
1 cup bisquick
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup chopped parsley
1/4 lb diced ham or bacon

lightly oil large pan -or- a bunck of muffin tins are great too

Set oven to 375F
Bake for 45 minutes to hour (depends on depth and thickness of pan)
iSagittarius
Seaman Briner

Postby iSagittarius » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:54 pm

My favorite Squash Dish
Pasta Gagoozi

1 Lb cooked Spaghetti or Bugatini (larger spagetti)
Grated Locatelli cheese
1/2 tsp black pepper

3-4 sliced zuchinni (1/2" slices)
1 Large head garlic. Sliced thick, NOT DICED)
1/4 cup light olive

in large frying pan, heat oil on medium heat.
Fry garlic slices in oil till gold, not brown. Remove with slotted spoon, reserve.
In same oil, place suchinni slices, fry zuchinni till light brown.
When all zuchinni are cooked, let oil cool a few minutes.

Pour contents of oil from pan, garlic and half of the cooked zuchinni over cooked pasta. Add black pepper and Grated locatelli cheese. Toss.

Serve immediately with extra grated cheese.
iSagittarius
Seaman Briner

Postby iSagittarius » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:02 pm

Just a note: My quick contribution can be made with just about any cooked veggie. Broccoli works great!

An now.... alot of recipes looked great, but I can only pick one winner.

Although I have not had the time to try the recipe, I really liked the Butternut Squash Ravioli by ajkdvm.

SO. BUTTERNUT SQUASH RAVIOLI. YOU WIN!

Thank you for your entries.
iSagittarius
Seaman Briner

Postby okbye » Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:28 am

iSagittarius wrote:My favorite Squash Dish
Pasta Gagoozi

1 Lb cooked Spaghetti or Bugatini (larger spagetti)
Grated Locatelli cheese
1/2 tsp black pepper

3-4 sliced zuchinni (1/2" slices)
1 Large head garlic. Sliced thick, NOT DICED)
1/4 cup light olive

in large frying pan, heat oil on medium heat.
Fry garlic slices in oil till gold, not brown. Remove with slotted spoon, reserve.
In same oil, place suchinni slices, fry zuchinni till light brown.
When all zuchinni are cooked, let oil cool a few minutes.

Pour contents of oil from pan, garlic and half of the cooked zuchinni over cooked pasta. Add black pepper and Grated locatelli cheese. Toss.

Serve immediately with extra grated cheese.

Two questions

What is Locatelli cheese? i.e. what would you substitute for it?

Um, what do you do with the other half of the zucchini?
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby Butterbean » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:03 am

Locatelli is a brand of Pecorino Romano cheese, probably the best nationally available.

Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby CopperTop » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:25 am

okbye wrote:Two questions

What is Locatelli cheese? i.e. what would you substitute for it?

Locatelli is a high quality Peccorino Romano. You could substitute any good quality Parmesean or Romano cheese.

As for the other half of the zucchini, it makes a great side dish the next day or it can be frozen and used for soup or stew.
Fat, sassy and proud.
CopperTop
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:44 am

Why don't you just make half as much?
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby sadiedog » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:52 am

okbye wrote:
3-4 sliced zucchini (1/2" slices)

It says use 3-4 zucchini, not 3 or 4 slices of one zucchini. There won't be any leftover zucchini. :P
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:45 pm

sadiedog wrote:
okbye wrote:
3-4 sliced zucchini (1/2" slices)

It says use 3-4 zucchini, not 3 or 4 slices of one zucchini. There won't be any leftover zucchini. :P

:P :P Two for you.

I just think it's weird it's written to make this much zucchini and then use half of it. Maybe it's just me. :lol:

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby sadiedog » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:27 pm

:wall: :wall: :oops: :oops: Geez Louise, there - in big letters - the directions it says to use half the zuccs you just cooked. It took me all this time to see that. :lol:

It is a strange recipe. I would either see if the dish could handle the rest of the zucchini and use them or cut back the # of zucchini to 1 or 2. Waste not, want not.
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:50 pm

The point is moot, because zucchini is a summer squash, not a fall squash.

Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby CopperTop » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:01 pm

I just asked him why you only mix half the cooked squash with the pasta. The answer:

"You dress the plate with the other half, so you can assure every bite has some of the browned squash in it".

Does it make sense now?
Fat, sassy and proud.
CopperTop
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby iSagittarius » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:17 pm

Thank you for comments. No offense taken. But, Of course, what Copper said....

Locatelli cheese is a type of pecorino romano. Pepato, or Pepper (parmesean) grating cheese works even better. But i guess any hard grated cheese would be OK.

Yes, the other half of the fried zuchinni are used to garnish each plate... It's a basic variation on Pasta Al'Olio, but a personal family favorite.

Oh, and YES, these recipes are just there for sharing, not for inclusion in the Cookoff.

Enjoy. Buon'apetito
iSagittarius
Seaman Briner

Postby okbye » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:55 pm

I wasn't trying to put down your recipe, it sounds good, that part just didn't make sense to me the way it was written. In fact I had torn a very similar recipe out of I think it was Saveur that I wanted to try but it didn't have cheese.

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby aslansavz » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:45 pm

ajkdvm wrote:Butternut Squash Ravioli

1 large butternut squash
large handful garlic cloves, unpeeled
olive oil
fresh thyme leaves
salt and pepper
crushed red pepper, about 1 heaping teaspoon
about ¼ cup mascarpone (sour cream is an okay substitute)
freshly grated Parmesan
dash freshly ground nutmeg
1 large egg yolk
freshly made pasta sheets or 2 packages wonton skins

We gave these a try tonight. I really, really ,really want to like butternut squash, but the aftertaste just gets me - it's squashy LOL. But my oldest really loved these. We're freezing the extras and I'll let them thaw and toast them in a frying pan to give it a little more body as I felt the wonton wrappers were just kind of a weird texture - first time I'd tried them. But all-in-all, it wasn't bad!!
Darcy

Why yes, I do blog!
Digitize your handwriting
I like science when it's dangerous and potentially deadly - AB
aslansavz
Vice Admiral Briner

Return to Cookoffs