[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Cookoff 2.0 #23 Holiday Cookies!

Cookoff 2.0 #23 Holiday Cookies!

Cookoff archives

Re: Cookoff 2.0 #23 Holiday Cookies!

Postby Myrealana » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:48 pm

My grandmother's specialty:

Just Delicious
Ingredients:
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup soft margarine
1 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
2 tsp vanilla
½ tsp black walnut extract
½ tsp coconut extract
½ tsp butter extract
1 tsp caramel extract
3½ cups flour
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup Rice Krispies
1 cup pecans
1 cup oats
1 cup coconut

Mix ingredients in order given. Shape into balls on cookie sheet. Dip a fork or glass in sugar & flatten each cookie. Bake at 350 10-12 minutes.

Yields: 100 cookies
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:56 pm

Alright Ghenne, where's the next cookoff ingredient?
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby Kaliena » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:00 pm

Could someone post from scratch gingerbread cookie dough? Everything I am running into starts with premade mix. Not what I had in mind. I even checked my 1970s Cooky Book and IT starts with a sugar cookie store mix.
Kaliena
Master Chief Petty Officer Briner

Postby moonablaze » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:39 am

I love these cause you can make one batch of dough and get thin crispy AND thick chewy gingerbread cookies.

Gingerbread Men
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp (freshly) ground nutmeg
pinch ground black pepper (optional)
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup coffee or water
1 tsp vanilla extract

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and cinnamon.
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in molasses, water and vanilla, then gradually add in flour mixture until a smooth dough forms. Divide dough into two or three pieces (dough will be quite soft), cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, until firm.

Preheat oven to 375F.
For softer cookies:
On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to just under 1/4 inch thickness. Use cookie cutters of your choice (2-3″ gingerbread men are ideal!) to cut dough. Place cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 9-12 minutes, depending on size of cookie cutter. Cookies should be slightly firm to the touch at the edges. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

For crispier cookies:
On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to just under 1/8 inch thickness. Use cookie cutters of your choice (2-3″ gingerbread men are ideal!) to cut dough. Place cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 9-12 minutes, depending on size of cookie cutter. Cookies should be slightly firm to the touch at the edges and will be lightly browned. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

When cool, decorate with lemon icing (recipe below).

Makes about 30-40 gingerbread men, depending on size of cookie cutters used and whether you make them thick or thin.

Lemon Icing
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
2-3 tbsp tsp lemon juice

In a small bowl combine powdered sugar and lemon juice. Substitute milk or cream plus 1 tsp lemon extract, if no fresh lemon juice is available. Add enough lemon juice to make the icing thick and pourable, but not runny (start with 1-2 tbsp and add more if necessary. You can always add a bit of extra sugar to thicken it if you add too much) and stir until very smooth. Scrape into piping bag with a fine tip or a ziploc bag with a corner cut off and pipe onto cooled cookies. Allow to set for at least 30 minutes, until firm, before storing cookies in an airtight container.
A good cook is a sorceress who dispenses happiness.
- Elsa Schiapirelli

"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." -Doug Larson
moonablaze
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby mhalbrook » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:01 pm

Marz Epan wrote:
LinC wrote:I think this should become a regular post for the holidays. That way we can add to it as the season progresses. I won't have time to take pictures of my cookies until after this weekend (because of my Christmas open house).

I like this idea. It's too bad we couldn't put a cookie cookbook together and donate the proceeds to Heifer International.

Maybe we should do a board cookbook next year. There's several "on demand" publishing sites we could use to publish it, so overstock isn't a problem. Wonder if any of them are set up to auto donate proceeds to a charity. hmmm.. And I have some higher level Desktop Publishing software I could help put it together and prep it for publication.
mhalbrook
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby ghenne » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:21 pm

mhalbrook wrote:
Marz Epan wrote:
LinC wrote:I think this should become a regular post for the holidays. That way we can add to it as the season progresses. I won't have time to take pictures of my cookies until after this weekend (because of my Christmas open house).

I like this idea. It's too bad we couldn't put a cookie cookbook together and donate the proceeds to Heifer International.

Maybe we should do a board cookbook next year. There's several "on demand" publishing sites we could use to publish it, so overstock isn't a problem. Wonder if any of them are set up to auto donate proceeds to a charity. hmmm.. And I have some higher level Desktop Publishing software I could help put it together and prep it for publication.

I think that's a great idea! I'd love to contribute and help if I could!
"My religion is kindness." ~Dalai Lama ~
ghenne
Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:04 pm

ghenne wrote:I think that's a great idea! I'd love to contribute and help if I could!

Ooh, me too! I didn't post any recipes in this thread, but I've got lots of holiday cookie recipes to share!
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby Kaliena » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:32 pm

Oh, oh, I'd probably get it. My church did a self published cookbook as a fundraiser, nice spiral bound lays flat or flips around so only one page is on top. Lulu.com I like better than CreateSpace.com . With Lulu you can just publish and skip the ISBN if you want.
Kaliena
Master Chief Petty Officer Briner

Postby mhalbrook » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:59 pm

Kaliena wrote:Oh, oh, I'd probably get it. My church did a self published cookbook as a fundraiser, nice spiral bound lays flat or flips around so only one page is on top. Lulu.com I like better than CreateSpace.com . With Lulu you can just publish and skip the ISBN if you want.

I haven't worked with LuLu yet, I was going to back when I was going to produce some printed documentation for the project I work with, but never got around to it. But I do like what I've seen out of them. Our church did a mini 3-ring binder type cookbook, and my church in Florida did a comb-bound one years ago, I think both were done by the same company. I've got several recipes I'll contribute, but I gotta modify them, because I never record the methods, just the ingredients lol. Also probably need to convert some back to volumetric formulas.
mhalbrook
Vice Admiral Briner

Previous

Return to Cookoffs