[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Cookoff 2.0 #26 - Soy Sauce

Cookoff 2.0 #26 - Soy Sauce

Cookoff archives

Cookoff 2.0 #26 - Soy Sauce

Postby eye4got » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:20 pm

Cookoff 2.0 #1 - Heat Infusion - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #2 - Tomatoes - Unknown Foodie
Cookoff 2.0 #3 - Butternut Squash - Jackiecat
Cookoff 2.0 #4 - Fennel - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #5 - Grains of Paradise - PattyE
Cookoff 2.0 #6 - Eggplant - Geimerst
Cookoff 2.0 #7 - Soup - Pixie
Cookoff 2.0 #8 - Ribs - Dan
Cookoff 2.0 #9 - Citrus fruit - Moonablaze
Cookoff 2.0 #10 - Clams - Thierry
Cookoff 2.0 #11 - Ground Beef - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #12 - Olives - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #13 - Slaw - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #14 - Peppercorns - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #15 - Yogurt - Eye4got
Cookoff 2.0 #16 - Summer Squash - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #17 - Collards - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #18 - Lemongrass - Fleur
Cookoff 2.0 #19 - Summer herbs: basil/parsley/oregano/etc. - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #20 - Tapas and party bites
Cookoff 2.0 #21 - Fall Squash - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #22- Cauliflower- altonfaninmd
Cookoff 2.0 #23 - Holiday Cookies - ghenne
Cookoff 2.0 #24 - Pressure Cooker - Charlene
Cookoff 2.0 #25 - Hot'n Spicy - Slamdunkpro
Cookoff 2.0 #26 - Soy Sauce - Eye4got

The next cookoff theme is... Soy Sauce.

While cleaning out my pantry recently, I discovered to my chagrin that I have 3 bottles of the stuff (in addition to the open one in the 'fridge). :oops:
Help me find a use for them.
"I do believe that the supreme arrogance to believe that you understand the mind of the creator of the universe and are empowered to judge other humans in God's name is at the root of many of humanity's problems."
-Kinsley
eye4got
Admiral Briner

Re: Cookoff 2.0 #26 - Soy Sauce

Postby sadiedog » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:48 pm

Not really a recipe, but we learned from ATK that adding 1/4 cup of soy sauce to beef dishes (like stews or long cook sauces) gives the food more of a "beefy" flavor. You do have to taste the dish for salt content though.

We go through one of those pint containers every month or so. We loves us some soy sauce. I may be back with more recipes.
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:14 pm

The numbering is off there. #25 was pressure cooker by Charlene, it was missing on Slams too.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby ghenne » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:06 pm

I marinate so many things in this. It's great on salmon with grilled pineapple. Works with chicken too, and pork. I usually double or triple the recipe.

My fave marinade.
½ cup soy sauce (try and use a soy sauce from a Asian market)*
¼ cup rice wine vinegar (substitute regular white vinegar if you can't get rice)
¼ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
¼ cup minced green onions
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
Pinch chili pepper flakes (optional)

If I may get on my soap box and preach for just a moment. If you are able, please try and get your soy sauce from an Asian market. Push that nasty Kikomann aside and get the real deal. The difference is significant.
"My religion is kindness." ~Dalai Lama ~
ghenne
Admiral Briner

Postby Leo » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:11 pm

Not a recipe but a suggested handling procedure. We never think of soy sauce "spoiling" but it can lose or change it's flavor as it gets old. An excellent Japanese home cook taught me to buy two kinds of shoyu. One is a high quality low salt type and a high quality regular salt type. Keep both in the refrigerator. For seasoning at the table use a small dispenser with the low salt type and add only what you need for a little while. For cooking use the regular strength soy sauce.

Ditto Ghenne on going to an Asian market to find "the good stuff". Be careful because the really inexpensive synthetic soy sauce is also widely available there.
G.E.S. Chickeny Hands Chief Booga Booga Officer
---------------------------------------------
Wile E. Coyote - Super Genius
Leo
Admiral Briner

Postby ajkdvm » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:10 am

Bulgogi (Korean barbecued beef)

First, a note of apology for the vagueness of the quantities: I grew up watching my mom cook and learning from her, so I've approximated here as best as I could, based on how I make this myself. There's not really a way to screw this up—you could double or halve just about any of the ingredients and it'll still taste great.

If you've ever been to a Korean restaurant, you've probably had this. It's best when grilled over very hot coals but you can also broil the beef on a rack or even quick-cook it in a screaming hot cast iron or grill pan.

2 lbs thinly sliced ribeye: You can use other cuts but make sure the meat is fairly fatty and well marbled. If you have an Asian market in your area, they should have this in the freezer section.

For the marinade:

* about a cup of soy sauce: Not Kikkoman, please; Kikkoman is like thin salty water. It might take a bit of digging through your local Asian store or farmer's market but the good stuff is worth it, thick and gnarly and almost as complex as wine
* 2-3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
* 2-3 heaping tablespoons light brown sugar: You can also use white but it doesn't give you quite the caramel-y depth of the brown. Don't use dark brown, though—the molasses flavor is too pronounced and it can get bitter when cooked
* heaping tablespoon of minced garlic: I also like to toss in a teaspoon or two of HBI granulated garlic. Sounds like a lot, but it really doesn't overwhelm here
* bunch of green onions, white and green parts roughly chopped
* heavy grind of black pepper
* optional: heavy splash of rice wine vinegar
* optional: small Asian pear, peeled and puréed. Frankly, I usually don't bother - if you've got well-marbled meat, you really don't need to tenderize it further. Some people use puréed kiwi for the same reason. If you do use either, reduce marinating time to about an hour or so - much longer and the meat can get mushy
* optional: juice of one small orange: This doesn't make the meat taste orange-y, just kind of rounds out the sweetness of the sugar

Mix together the marinade ingredients and taste. It should be fairly sweet, but still with a salty kick and a sneaky punch of garlic. Adjust any of the ingredients to your liking.

Marinate the meat for at least 2-3 hours, or overnight. However, if your meat is sliced *very* thinly, you may want to either marinate for just a few minutes before cooking or reduce the amount of soy sauce; otherwise it may come out overwhelmingly salty.

Fire up your grill/broiler/cast iron and be prepared to fend off drooling neighbors.

"Kalbi" refers to a variety of marinated, grilled short ribs (beef and pork); my favorite version calls for the same marinade as above and flanken-cut short ribs:

A few differences from bulgogi:

* the short ribs benefit from long marinating. I've made up huge batches and let them sit in the fridge for a week or more, pulling out a few at a time whenever I feel like cooking them up
* high, dry heat is key here: these are best when grilled quickly (no more than 2-3 minutes on a side, so that you get a nice bit of charring on the outsides but the insides are just barely medium-rare) but are still very good on a rack under a broiler. Pan-cooking just steams the meat; it'll still taste okay but the texture will be rather spongy and, well, just plain wrong
* slice in segments between the bones. Tell people to grab a bone and start gnawing
ajkdvm
Lieutenant Briner

Postby ghenne » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:13 pm

ajkdvm wrote:Bulgogi (Korean barbecued beef)

You sent this me this recipe and I just now rememered when I saw this! I'm going to re-print and make this soon!
"My religion is kindness." ~Dalai Lama ~
ghenne
Admiral Briner

Postby ajkdvm » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:15 pm

Let me know how it comes out, Lisa. The way your boys eat, you may want to double the recipe - just sayin'... ;)
ajkdvm
Lieutenant Briner

Postby Eva » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:44 pm

Hi Mike,
how about pork loins, marinated in soy sauce with ginger and garlic, roasted in sesame oil and served cold with a Thai salad?
I´m sorry I cannot provide you with the exact recipe yet (still browsing 20 years of an old food magazine - not online, unfortunately).
As soon as I find it I´ll file it subsequently - it´s really delicious.
Thank you for reminding me of it!
Eva
Seaman Briner

Postby kimberlyjoy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:39 am

Here's a recipe that is similar to the other marinades, except it uses peanut butter as well. My sis in law gave it to me:

Peanutty Pork Kabobs

1/2 cp. soy sauce
1/4 lime or lemon juice
1/4 cp. peanut butter
2 T. brown sugar
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp. crushed red pepper (or to your liking)
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1 lb. pork tenderloin - I actually use thick boneless pork chops, whatever is on sale.
2 medium green peppers - you may need more if you cut them into big chunks

In bowl, combine first 7 ingredients and mix well (I find it mixes the best when you start with the PB and dry ingredients, then whisk in the liquid slowly). Set aside 1/2 cp. for basting, cover and refrigerate. Pour remaining marinade into large resealable bag; add cubed pork chunks and turn to coat. Refrigerate for a couple of hours or overnight. Drain marinade. On water soaked bamboo skewers, alternate pork and green pepper. Grill for 6 minutes, turning once - baste with marinade and grill 8-10 min. longer, turning and basting.

If you don't feel like grilling, I broil them for 15 minutes and it still tastes really good, nice and juicy. I do miss the smokiness though. For an added peanut punch, use natural or homemade PB.

Edited to add: This should serve 4, but because we like it so much it will feed 2 easily with a bit for leftovers. :oops: you may want to double if you have a big family or have hearty eaters. This is always a good "guest dinner" at our house.
kimberlyjoy
Lieutenant Briner

Postby moonablaze » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:54 pm

ajkdvm wrote:Let me know how it comes out, Lisa. The way your boys eat, you may want to double the recipe - just sayin'... ;)

I LOVE this recipe. I make it whenever ribeye is on sale.
A good cook is a sorceress who dispenses happiness.
- Elsa Schiapirelli

"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." -Doug Larson
moonablaze
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Eva » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:43 pm

Found it, finally - it´s easy to make and very delicious!

You'll need (as a starter for 4 people; as part of an asian buffet it serves 8 )
about 1 lb. pork tenderloin, thoroughly cleaned ("pariert", I could not find the appropriate English translation)
1 green onion, chopped
4 slices peeled fresh ginger root, chopped
1 (or more to taste) clove(s) of garlic, chopped
6 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp sherry

Mix ingredients for marinade.
Place tenderloin on an big sheet of aluminum foil, add marinade, wrap it up and store in the fridge overnight.
Next day, preheat oven to 400°F.
Drain tenderloin (serve marinade for later use!) and baste it with a mixture of 2 tbsp honey and 2 tbsp brown sugar.
Sear the meat in a casserole in sesame oil over high heat, then turn off the heat and add the marinade.
Braise tenderloin in the oven for 10 minutes on each side, then wrap it loosely with foil and let it cool down.
Slice it and serve it cold with the sauce and Thai salad or vegetables.

Enjoy!
Eva
Seaman Briner

Postby thatchairlady » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:49 pm

ANother one for eschewing K sauces for stuff from Asian market. I have "relied on the kindness of strangers" (store owners) at little Asian market near me for recommendations and have never been disappointed. Prices are great and possibilities make my head spin. "onions" ( shallots)... 1 lb bag for $1! Jumbo eggs... $1.50-1.75. Frozen edamame for well under HALF what same brand sells for in supermarket.
thatchairlady
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby eye4got » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:26 pm

Last call for recipes. There are some excellent submissions. I'll pick a winner this weekend.
"I do believe that the supreme arrogance to believe that you understand the mind of the creator of the universe and are empowered to judge other humans in God's name is at the root of many of humanity's problems."
-Kinsley
eye4got
Admiral Briner

Postby eye4got » Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:06 pm

Thank you to everyone who submitted recipes this round. They're all keepers, but I do have to choose one winner out of them. The winner in this cookoff is Kimberlyjoy for her Peanutty Pork Kabobs. Take it away, Kimberlyjoy!
-Kinsley
eye4got
Admiral Briner

Postby kimberlyjoy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:09 am

Thank you! I actually was drooling over the bulgogi recipe as I haven't had it in a long time. I will start a new thread tomorrow, once I figure out the ingredient! :D
kimberlyjoy
Lieutenant Briner

Return to Cookoffs