[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Cookoff 2.0 #27 - Peanut Butter

Cookoff 2.0 #27 - Peanut Butter

Cookoff archives

Cookoff 2.0 #27 - Peanut Butter

Postby kimberlyjoy » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:59 am

Cookoff 2.0 #1 - Heat Infusion - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #2 - Tomatoes - Unknown Foodie
Cookoff 2.0 #3 - Butternut Squash - Jackiecat
Cookoff 2.0 #4 - Fennel - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #5 - Grains of Paradise - PattyE
Cookoff 2.0 #6 - Eggplant - Geimerst
Cookoff 2.0 #7 - Soup - Pixie
Cookoff 2.0 #8 - Ribs - Dan
Cookoff 2.0 #9 - Citrus fruit - Moonablaze
Cookoff 2.0 #10 - Clams - Thierry
Cookoff 2.0 #11 - Ground Beef - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #12 - Olives - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #13 - Slaw - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #14 - Peppercorns - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #15 - Yogurt - Eye4got
Cookoff 2.0 #16 - Summer Squash - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #17 - Collards - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #18 - Lemongrass - Fleur
Cookoff 2.0 #19 - Summer herbs: basil/parsley/oregano/etc. - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #20 - Tapas and party bites
Cookoff 2.0 #21 - Fall Squash - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #22- Cauliflower- altonfaninmd
Cookoff 2.0 #23 - Holiday Cookies - ghenne
Cookoff 2.0 #24 - Pressure Cooker - Charlene
Cookoff 2.0 #25 - Hot'n Spicy - Slamdunkpro
Cookoff 2.0 #26 - Soy Sauce - Eye4got
Cookoff 2.0 #27 - Peanut Butter - kimberlyjoy

The next cookoff theme is... Peanut Butter! I thought it might be fun, and could spawn a wide variety of sweet and savory recipes. Have fun!
kimberlyjoy
Lieutenant Briner

Re: Cookoff 2.0 #27 - Peanut Butter

Postby chefshawn » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:26 pm

i personally want to add here, not a recipe, but my favorite use for peanut butter...

ok, i'll pause briefly to allow you to get your mind back out of the gutter...

ok, we good? yes, moving on...

i like my peanut butter on a peanut butter, banana, and mayonnaise sandwich. preferably with hellman's mayonnaise, and the thickest white bread you can find that's still soft.
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby mhalbrook » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:47 pm

chefshawn wrote:i personally want to add here, not a recipe, but my favorite use for peanut butter...

ok, i'll pause briefly to allow you to get your mind back out of the gutter...

ok, we good? yes, moving on...

i like my peanut butter on a peanut butter, banana, and mayonnaise sandwich. preferably with hellman's mayonnaise, and the thickest white bread you can find that's still soft.

Well, that has an ingredient list, all ya need is the methods and it's a recipe :P

3 Tbs Peanut Butter
2 tsp Grape Jelly
2 slices of sandwhich bread

Mix 1st to together
Spread on one side of one slice of bread
Place 2nd slice on top of the mixture
Eat.

(That would be my Son's recipe, tho I grant you he learned it from me)
mhalbrook
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:07 pm

Many years ago, my little brother bought a kids' cookbook by Emeril Lagasse. My favorite recipe was for a peanut butter, jelly, and marshmallow sandwich. I don't have the exact recipe, but it's kind of like this (use whatever amounts you like):

Peanut butter
Jam/preserves
Marshmallow fluff
Softened butter
Sliced bread

Stir together PB, J, and fluff until swirled. Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread. Spread the PB mixture on the other side of one of the slices. Top with the other slice of bread, buttered side out. Toast in a pan until GBD. Enjoy the gooey deliciousness.
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby n8urebabe » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:01 pm

Peanut Butter
tomato
miracle whip
bread

It's a really good sandwich and one of the few things that I'll make with miracle whip.
Dawn
Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Harriet Van Horne

The act of giving is more important than the merit of the receiver.

Luke: I'll bring back brownies.
Lorelai: Ooh, the pouting has left the building.

n8urebabe
Admiral Briner

Postby JeanC » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:33 pm

n8urebabe wrote:Peanut Butter
tomato
miracle whip
bread

It's a really good sandwich and one of the few things that I'll make with miracle whip.

Substitute lettuce for the tomato and you have my favorite sandwich from childhood :D

No exact recipe, but I like to make what we called fake Bit O'Honey:

Mix creamy peanut butter with honey and powdered sugar. Mixture should be firm, then roll into a cylinder and place on some foil that has been sprinkled with powdered sugar. Wrap the candy and place in freezer to firm up for a couple hours. Pull out, open foil and slice into rounds and YUM!!!!!!
----
"Soon life will become more interesting" - Chinese fortune cookie

Jean
http://purple-ducky.com/
JeanC
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:44 am

This is a variation on Sesame Noodles:

Whole Wheat Pasta with Cucumber and Spicy Peanut Sauce

3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
3 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons lemon juice
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
1 cup hot water
20 ounces whole wheat pasta
2 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, halved and cut diagonally into 1/8-inch slices
1 cup thinly sliced scallions

In a blender combine the peanut butter, soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic, red pepper flakes, sesame oil and hot water until smooth. In a pot of boiling salted water, boil the pasta until just tender; transfer to colander and rinse briefly under cold water. Drain the pasta noodles well. In a large bowl, toss noodles with peanut sauce, cucumbers, scallions and red peppers. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately at room temperature. Makes 6-8 servings.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Charlene » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:22 pm

SPICY SICHUAN NOODLES (DAN DIN MIAN)

1 lb. or so "Asian-style" noodles. At my supermarket, I can find these in the section with tofu, etc. They are packaged in 9 oz. packages, so I use two. You can also just use a pound of dried linguine.
1 lb. ground pork
6 T. soy sauce, divided
1/4 c. sherry
1/4 c. oyster sauce
1/2 c. natural-style peanut butter, crunchy or smooth
2 T. rice vinegar
2 c. chicken stock
2 T. minced fresh ginger
10 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 t. red pepper flakes
2 T. sesame oil

For serving: bean sprouts and minced scallions

1. Combine pork, 2 T. soy, sherry, and a bit of fresh-ground black pepper in a bowl. Mix well with fork. Set aside.
2. Whisk together oyster sauce, remaining soy (4 T.), peanut butter, vinegar, chicken stock, and a bit more pepper in medium bowl. Set aside.
3. Combine ginger, garlic, and red pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
4. Set water to boil for noodles.
5. Heat a bit of peanut or vegetable oil in large skillet until very hot. Add pork. Brown pork well, breaking up large chunks with spatula. Stir in ginger/garlic/red pepper mix and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add chicken stock mixture and stir well to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until thickened.
6. Stir in sesame oil.
7. Drain noodles and serve topped with a generous sprinkle of bean sprouts and minced scallion.

Charlene
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Charlene » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:24 pm

Peanut Butter Fudge

5 cups sugar
1 stick butter
1 can evaporated milk
1 ½ cups chunky peanut butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 regular size jar marshmallow fluff
additional softened butter for greasing 9X13 pan

Bring sugar, margarine and milk to soft boil (230-234°). Remove from heat. Add peanut butter, vanilla and marshmallow fluff. Pour into buttered pan. Let cool on counter 15 mins, then refrigerate 10 mins.

Remove and cut into squares. Allow to cool completely. Store in airtight container.

Charlene
~lifedramatic~

"An optimist is someone who goes after Moby Dick in a rowboat and brings the tartar sauce."
~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Charlene » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:26 pm

Oh my gosh these are SO good!

Lucy’s Peanut Butter Balls

1 cup butter, softened
40 oz crunchy peanut butter
2 boxes confectioners sugar
6 cups rice krispies
3 pounds each white and dark chocolate to coat (Buy candy coating chocolate from Michael’s)

Combine ingredients except chocolate. Refrigerate until firm. Melt chocolate and dip balls. Place on wax paper.

Charlene
~lifedramatic~

"An optimist is someone who goes after Moby Dick in a rowboat and brings the tartar sauce."
~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Charlene » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:35 pm

Peanut Bread

from The Modern Family Cookbook, 1953 edition
with thanks to Stephanie Butler for digging it up

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk

Sift flour, measure and resift 3 times with soda and salt. Blend sugar into peanut butter. Stir in beaten egg and beat until smooth. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately, beating until smooth after each addition. Turn into buttered loaf pan, bake in a moderate oven (350) 1 hour or until well browned.

Charlene
~lifedramatic~

~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Dana » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:13 pm

Charlene wrote:Peanut Bread

from The Modern Family Cookbook, 1953 edition
with thanks to Stephanie Butler for digging it up

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup peanut butter
1 egg
1 cup buttermilk

Sift flour, measure and resift 3 times with soda and salt. Blend sugar into peanut butter. Stir in beaten egg and beat until smooth. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately, beating until smooth after each addition. Turn into buttered loaf pan, bake in a moderate oven (350) 1 hour or until well browned.

Charlene

Charlene, I'm intrigued!
So, do you eat it like bread...or cake/yanno like banana bread?
Have you toasted it?
Wonder how it would be as French Toast?!
Marco Polo didn't have much of a travel agent...Heck of a good publicist, though! - Alton Brown
My ramblings...Cookin' At Café D->Click-o-Rama
Dana
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:48 am

I made the peanut butter bread today and served it as PB & J shortcake, with macerated strawberries and whipped cream. It was awfully good. I knew I already had the strawberries so I left it plain but I would like to try it with a layer of chocolate cream cheese in the middle.

It's not as moist as banana bread or as sweet as you think it would be. Toasting would be good but I think you'd have to toast or dry it to keep it together for French toast. You don't have the gluten to hold it together, or at least I didn't using the limited mixing sweet bread method.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby Dana » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:38 am

okbye wrote:I made the peanut butter bread today and served it as PB & J shortcake, with macerated strawberries and whipped cream. It was awfully good. I knew I already had the strawberries so I left it plain but I would like to try it with a layer of chocolate cream cheese in the middle.

It's not as moist as banana bread or as sweet as you think it would be. Toasting would be good but I think you'd have to toast or dry it to keep it together for French toast. You don't have the gluten to hold it together, or at least I didn't using the limited mixing sweet bread method.
Sounds good, okbye. I've added PB Bread to my list of things I want to make.
Marco Polo didn't have much of a travel agent...Heck of a good publicist, though! - Alton Brown
My ramblings...Cookin' At Café D->Click-o-Rama
Dana
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby kimberlyjoy » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:41 pm

Thanks for the recipes! (and sandwich ideas...I did have one of them, not too bad) :D

The winner is Charlene for the peanut butter bread! It was delicious and my husband and parents loved it. I didn't have any buttermilk on hand so I did half sour cream and half milk/lemon juice mixture. It was actually pretty moist and held together well. The edges got all nice and crispy which was delicious. I ate mine with some nutella and strawberries, and hubby just ate it plain. He doesn't go for sweets very often and appreciated its flavor without being too sweet.

Have a good night!
kimberlyjoy
Lieutenant Briner

Return to Cookoffs