[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Cookoff 2.0 #29 - Breakfast - We have a winner!

Cookoff 2.0 #29 - Breakfast - We have a winner!

Cookoff archives

Cookoff 2.0 #29 - Breakfast - We have a winner!

Postby DanC » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:15 am

Cookoff 2.0 #1 - Heat Infusion - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #2 - Tomatoes - Unknown Foodie
Cookoff 2.0 #3 - Butternut Squash - Jackiecat
Cookoff 2.0 #4 - Fennel - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #5 - Grains of Paradise - PattyE
Cookoff 2.0 #6 - Eggplant - Geimerst
Cookoff 2.0 #7 - Soup - Pixie
Cookoff 2.0 #8 - Ribs - Dan
Cookoff 2.0 #9 - Citrus fruit - Moonablaze
Cookoff 2.0 #10 - Clams - Thierry
Cookoff 2.0 #11 - Ground Beef - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #12 - Olives - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #13 - Slaw - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #14 - Peppercorns - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #15 - Yogurt - Eye4got
Cookoff 2.0 #16 - Summer Squash - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #17 - Collards - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #18 - Lemongrass - Fleur
Cookoff 2.0 #19 - Summer herbs: basil/parsley/oregano/etc. - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #20 - Tapas and party bites - lunanoir
Cookoff 2.0 #21 - Fall Squash - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #22 - Cauliflower- altonfaninmd
Cookoff 2.0 #23 - Holiday Cookies - ghenne
Cookoff 2.0 #24 - Pressure Cooker - Charlene
Cookoff 2.0 #25 - Hot'n Spicy - Slamdunkpro
Cookoff 2.0 #26 - Soy Sauce - Eye4got
Cookoff 2.0 #27 - Peanut Butter - kimberlyjoy
Cookoff 2.0 #28 - Salmon - Charlene
Cookoff 2.0 #29 - Breakfast - DanC

OK, kinda early for baby food... I guess y'all know I'm a 2 eggs over easy/white bread toast kinda guy,
so gimme your best ideas for a good healthy, sustainable (i kid) breakfast!
whatcha got?
Last edited by DanC on Mon May 31, 2010 12:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DanC
Admiral Briner

Re: Cookoff 2.0 #29 - Breakfast

Postby Grovite » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:34 am

Buy local eggs and produce!

Eggs in Hell

• 4 Large Eggs
  • 2 T Oil
  • 2 Jalapeños or Serranos, stemmed, seeded and minced
  • 1 Poblano, roasted, stemmed, seeded and chopped
  • 1/2 Onion, med. dice
  • 15 oz. can pureed tomatoes
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Tortillas (corn or flour)

Heat the oil in a deep saute pan over medium. Add the chiles and onion and saute for about 4 minutes. Add the tomato puree and bring to a boil (It should be about an inch deep, if not, add water...or beer). Salt and pepper to taste.

Stir the sauce and then crack the eggs into the pan. Cover and allow them to cook until the whites are set and the yolks are cooked to your liking.

Put a couple of tortillas on a plate, place the eggs on the tortillas and ladle sauce over them. For an added bonus, brown up some crumbled chorizo and add that over the top along with some Jack cheese.
Rock & Roll is like Mexican food. As it improves in quality, it stops being what it is.
Grovite
Red-Headed Stepchild

Postby earthmom317 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:54 pm

Nice suggestion....could do scrambled tofu instead of eggs...and instead of assembling all that, out each item in a separate bowl or plate, then let the kiddies put their own together....

BETTER YET...Make your favorite granola (if you'd like a recipe or two, just let me know) and have a big bowl of that...a bowl of berries, another of nuts, another of dried fruits (or fresh, like bananas), another bowl of whatever you'd like, and so on...and have vanilla yogurt - lots of it on hand. Give the kids a sundae glass and have them put in the granola, then whatever they'd like from the bowls...then give it to you, and you mix in the yogurt..or, it can be done as a sundae style, too...delicious!

Of course, when I do this...I use soy vanilla yogurt..even healthier for you, your kids, and our planet!

Blessings... luv, Jessie
earthmom317
Seaman Recruit Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:58 pm

Grovite wrote:Buy local eggs and produce!

Eggs in Hell

Dude, that is *so* what I was going to submit as my favorite Arabic breakfast dish (but using fresh tomatoes, and without the chiles). I didn't know it existed in Tex-Mex form! But check this out... I know you like to stick to what's authentic, but here's something that will make your dish sing (it's a classic Middle Eastern trick used for myriad dishes). In a separate small pan, fry some minced/pressed garlic in olive oil until it turns golden brown, and add it to the tomato mixture before you put in the eggs. In lieu of profuse thanks, I'll accept cash. ;)

So, as for my submissions, here are two variations on a theme.

Middle Eastern Breakfast Scramble

A handful of diced cured meat (whatever floats your boat)
1/2 large onion, diced
1 large potato, diced finely
3-4 eggs, lightly beaten
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil or butter (if desired)

In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the meat. Remove with slotted spoon. To the remaining fat in the skillet (you can augment it with oil or butter if you want), add the potato and onion. Season to taste. Saute until potatoes are golden brown and cooked through (onions may be browned, and that's a good thing). Add the meat to the skillet. Lower the heat and add the eggs. Scramble and cook until done.

Eggs and Eggplant

1 medium eggplant, diced no larger than 1/2"
1/2 large onion, diced
3-4 eggs, lightly beaten
salt and pepper to taste
olive oil

In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and with a generous amount of oil, saute the eggplant, seasoned to taste, until cooked through and golden brown at the edges. Remove from skillet and add onions. Saute until golden at edges. Return eggplant to skillet, lower heat, and add eggs. Scramble and cook until done.
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby Norm357 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:58 am

Coffee, black and a marlboro light.
Don't pity the rescue dog, adopt him. If he was human, he would be the one with stories to tell and books to write.

Any idiot can kill a shark. It takes a real man to catch one, kiss him on the head, and let him go.

Norm357
Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:41 pm

MIDNIGHT ROLLS

1 pkg frozen dinner rolls
Cinnamon (several tbs)
1 pkg butterscotch pudding (not instant)
1/2 c brown sugar
1 stick butter, melted
Raisins/currants, and/or nuts (pecans, walnuts)

Lube a bundt or ring pan with cooking spray; place raisins & nuts in bottom, if desired.

Place cinnamon in a plastic bag or small boiwl. Shake or roll dough nuggets in cinnamon to coat & place in pan. Sprinkle pudding mix & brown sugar over rolls & pour cooled melted butter evenly over them. Cover with wax paper & a large plate & allow to rest overnight. Next day, when risen, bake at 350 20-30 minutes & turn out on a large platter.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby altonfaninmd » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:40 am

I make my husband a recipe that's from Giada, her breakfast skewers....

These are basically pieces of cut red pepper, italian sausage, fresh pineapple, and panchetta. Since my husband thought the panchetta was too rich for him the first time I made it, I just use the other 3 ingredients. While you soak your wooden skewers (if you use those, they need soaked in water 20 minutes), preheat your oven to 400 and cut up your ingredients. Make all your pieces uniform so they cook quickly (what am I saying, you guys know that, I"m not talking to a bunch of Rachael Ray idiots here), and place on skewers. Bake for about 20 minutes and serve. My husband loves them.
altonfaninmd

Postby lunanoir » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:34 pm

Please don't pick me as the winner, I don't want drama like last time (and the lulz omission of my name from choosing the ingredient on the cookoff list that makes me laugh every time I see it), but I wanted to post this recipe because it's really good and easy.

I use jumbo muffin tins well oiled so I can make 6 of these at a time. Watch the eggs carefully because they can overcook pretty quickly and because they're baked, it's less visible. I find 20-23 minutes is more accurate than 27. Adding the cheese at the end and letting the ambient heat melt it helps you be able to see when the eggs are done.

These are good topped with a little diced avocado as well, and I usually use prepared salsa and canned refried black beans. They would probably be good with a little crumbled sausage as well.

Huevos Rancheros in Tortilla Cups Recipe by Bon Appetit Test Kitchen

Ingredients

* 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
* 6 6- to 6 1/2-inch-diameter corn tortillas
* 1 15-ounce can pinto beans or black beans, drained
* 2/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 6 large eggs
* 3/4 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese
* 1 cup purchased pico de gallo
* 2 to 3 teaspoons bottled chipotle hot sauce

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush six 10-ounce custard cups with 1 tablespoon oil. Stack tortillas; microwave uncovered until warm and flexible, about 25 seconds. Gently press 1 tortilla into each cup. Brush tortillas with 2 tablespoons oil.

Place pinto beans, remaining 1 tablespoon oil, 1/3 cup chopped cilantro, and cumin in small bowl; mash coarsely with fork. Spoon bean mixture into bottom of tortilla cups, spreading and dividing evenly. Crack 1 egg into each tortilla cup atop beans. Sprinkle each with grated Monterey Jack cheese, covering egg completely. Bake uncovered until egg yolks are firm to touch and whites are set, about 27 minutes (yolks will still be soft inside).

Meanwhile, mix pico de gallo, 1/3 cup cilantro, and hot sauce in small bowl. Using large spoon, lift tortilla cups from dishes; transfer to plates. Top eggs with pico de gallo and serve immediately.
lunanoir
Admiral Briner

Postby DanC » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:34 am

fixed that for ya lunanoir...

you better hope your eggs aren't better than eggs in hell, at this point...
:twisted:
DanC
Admiral Briner

Postby lunanoir » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:35 am

DanC wrote:fixed that for ya lunanoir...

you better hope your eggs aren't better than eggs in hell, at this point...
:twisted:

You're an evil, evil man.

:P
lunanoir
Admiral Briner

Postby sadiedog » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:18 pm

I'm personally a fan of grits and over easy eggs. If I can, red-eye gravy goes over the top of the whole thing. If not, then just butter, salt and if I'm feeling really fancy, cheese.

Not a very healthy breakfast, but it will fill you up until dinner time. :)
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby instain » Sat May 01, 2010 11:25 am

Mango Fig Ginger Cake

This is a modification of this recipe from Epicurious

Streusel
1/2 cup old fashioned oats
1/4 cup coarse raw sugar
3 Tbsp finely chopped crystallized ginger
3 Tbsp butter
1 pinch salt

Gingerbread
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1 Tbsp ground ginger
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
8 oz ripe mangoes, peeled, pitted
6 oz dried figs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup canola oil
2 large eggs

For streusel:
Roughly chop oats in food processor. Add other ingredients and pulse until combined.

For gingerbread:
Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Butter 8x8x2-inch metal baking pan. Whisk first 6 ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Soften figs by adding a few Tbsp water in a bowl, cover, microwave for 30 seconds and let rest for 10 minutes. Coarsely puree mangoes and figs in food processor. Transfer mango puree to large bowl. Add buttermilk, oil, and eggs to puree; whisk until blended. Add flour mixture; stir just until combined. Transfer half of batter (about 2 cups) to prepared pan. Sprinkle half of streusel over. Spoon remaining batter over, smooth evenly with spatula, then sprinkle with remaining streusel.

Bake until springy to touch and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45-60 minutes. Cool completely in pan on rack. (Can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover and store at room temperature.) Cut into 9 squares and serve.

The crystallized ginger in the streusel gives it a nice sharp bite.
instain
Lieutenant Briner

Postby carla » Fri May 07, 2010 9:03 am

Computer freeze; lost post.
Last edited by carla on Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Charlene » Thu May 13, 2010 10:05 pm

Mom's Camp Eggs

My mom makes these when we go on our annual camping trip to Ginnie Springs. They are AWESOME!! Make this in your 12" cast iron skillet, or scale it back some for a smaller pan.

1lb bacon, chopped
1pkg Frozen O'brien Potatoes
10-12 eggs, beaten
2-3c cheddar cheese, shredded
salt & pepper to taste
Salsa for garnish if desired

Fry bacon in skillet until crispy. Remove from pan. Add potatoes and cook til lightly brown. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add bacon back to the pan. Add eggs and top with cheese. Cooked covered w/ buttered foil over open fire until done/firm. (Or cook uncovered in a 350 degree oven til brown and eggs are set.)

To serve cut in slices - pie style and top with salsa if desired. Replace bacon with ham, sausage etc... or all of the above if you want. Just add oil if there isn't enough to cook the potatoes in.

Feeds a crowd and is also good cold later for lunch.

Don't worry about the eggs, it makes its own crust.

Char
~lifedramatic~

"An optimist is someone who goes after Moby Dick in a rowboat and brings the tartar sauce."
~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Charlene » Thu May 13, 2010 10:09 pm

My family really likes this recipe. I like to do it on a sheet pan instead of 9X13 so you get more crispy and less custardy. Char

Paula's baked french toast with praline topping

Ingredients
• 1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces)
• 8 large eggs
• 2 cups half-and-half
• 1 cup milk
• 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• Dash salt
• Praline Topping, recipe follows
• Maple syrup

Directions

Slice French bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each. (Use any extra bread for garlic toast or bread crumbs). Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.

Praline Topping:
• 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
• 1 cup packed light brown sugar
• 1 cup chopped pecans
• 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. Makes enough for Baked French Toast Casserole.
Printed from FoodNetwork.com on Fri Apr 10 2009
~lifedramatic~

"An optimist is someone who goes after Moby Dick in a rowboat and brings the tartar sauce."
~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby DanC » Tue May 18, 2010 12:05 pm

FYI, I'm gonna try and wrap this up this weekend...

pony up, so far lunanoir is in the lead. :twisted:
DanC
Admiral Briner

Postby Grovite » Wed May 19, 2010 11:11 am

You'll need a big skillet.

Sunday Migas

• Meat of your choice: 6 Strips of bacon or 1C cooked chorizo or 1C cooked and crumbled sausage (I like mixing bacon and chorizo)
  • 1C White Onion, med. dice
  • 1/2C Romas, med. dice
  • 1 Poblano, roasted, stemmed, seeded and chopped
  • 2 cloves Garlic, minced
  • 1T panko
  • 1T Fresh Ground Black Pepper
  • Salt to taste
  • Dozen Eggs, beaten
  • Dozen Corn Tortillas (Fresh if you got'em)
  • About 4T lard (If needed, it all depends on how much pan drippings you have left. You can use corn or veg oil if you want)
  • 2C Shredded Chihuahua or Jack cheese

If you use bacon, chop, fry to taste (I like it cooked through but not too crispy for this) and drain. Save the pan drippings from whatever meat you use.

In a bowl, mix the onion, tomato, Poblano, garlic, panko, pepper and salt. Add the eggs and mix to combine. Tear the tortillas into small pieces (About the size of Fritos). In the skillet you cooked the meat, heat the pan drippings along with the lard (if using) over med-high and sauté the tortillas pieces until crisp.

Add the meat to the skillet and toss for about a min to warm it through. Stir in the egg mixture, cook and stir until the eggs have set.

Serve with the shredded cheese, more tortillas and refried beans. I like to have avocado slices with it as well.
Rock & Roll is like Mexican food. As it improves in quality, it stops being what it is.
Grovite
Red-Headed Stepchild

Postby tj » Sat May 22, 2010 5:03 pm

Oh, can you tell I'm bored?

One of my favorite breakfast "things" is something made for me a v e r y long time ago when visiting a now long lost flame.

Toast an english muffin well.

Melt ricotta and spoon generously over the muffin.

Layer mozzarella over that.

Sprinkle with lots of freshly ground black pepper and put in oven or under broiler to melt the mozzarella.

This is really good with fruit and coffee for breakfast.

They called it "vostetti" or something of the sort. If anyone knows of the specific name I would love to know it.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Tue May 25, 2010 6:21 pm

DanC wrote:FYI, I'm gonna try and wrap this up this weekend...

Reached a decision yet, Dan?

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby carla » Tue May 25, 2010 6:38 pm

I gotta throw "Jewish French Toast" into the mix. Maybe someone who's never had it will try it and like it. It's very savory. I usually stick to the oil/butter it's cooked in & salt, but it goes well with a touch of salt and some sugar. Or any other condiment you desire. Hell, try ketchup; I'm tolerant. :P

Matzoh Brie
Ingredients

* 1 matzo cracker
* 1 egg
* salt and pepper to taste
* 1 teaspoon vegetable oil AND/OR BUTTAH

Directions
Egg to matzoh ratio is flexible; if desired use just enough egg to moisten. Yes, 4 eggs to 4 "sheets" of matzoh, tho I would never use that much egg. Matzoh should be coated, not matzoh w/scrambled egg.

1. Take the matzo and break into small pieces into a bowl. Cover with hot water for a minute. (Much less than a full minute is fine.) Then squeeze out the water.
2. In a small bowl, beat one egg with salt and pepper to taste and add to matzo. Mix well.
3. Heat frying pan with a little oil. Pour mixture into the pan. Brown one side and turn over.
I like it broken up; some pieces soft; some well done.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Matzo-Brei/Detail.aspx
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby DanC » Tue May 25, 2010 7:32 pm

Butterbean wrote:
DanC wrote:FYI, I'm gonna try and wrap this up this weekend...

Reached a decision yet, Dan?

um, no. I need until this weekend/next week to finish up.
DanC
Admiral Briner

Postby DanC » Mon May 31, 2010 12:27 pm

ok, I've made my choice, and Norm, the Marlboro sucked.

nonetheless,

lunanoir
You're off the hook because I pick Grovite's Eggs in Hell as the winner!

Thanks everyone!
DanC
Admiral Briner

Re: Cookoff 2.0 #29 - Breakfast - We have a winner!

Postby Grovite » Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:47 am

Standby, thinking of an ingredient...
Grovite
Red-Headed Stepchild

Return to Cookoffs