[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Cookoff 2.0 #31 - Foil Grill Packets

Cookoff 2.0 #31 - Foil Grill Packets

Cookoff archives

Cookoff 2.0 #31 - Foil Grill Packets

Postby DitsyD » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:15 am

Cookoff 2.0 #1 - Heat Infusion - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #2 - Tomatoes - Unknown Foodie
Cookoff 2.0 #3 - Butternut Squash - Jackiecat
Cookoff 2.0 #4 - Fennel - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #5 - Grains of Paradise - PattyE
Cookoff 2.0 #6 - Eggplant - Geimerst
Cookoff 2.0 #7 - Soup - Pixie
Cookoff 2.0 #8 - Ribs - Dan
Cookoff 2.0 #9 - Citrus fruit - Moonablaze
Cookoff 2.0 #10 - Clams - Thierry
Cookoff 2.0 #11 - Ground Beef - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #12 - Olives - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #13 - Slaw - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #14 - Peppercorns - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #15 - Yogurt - Eye4got
Cookoff 2.0 #16 - Summer Squash - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #17 - Collards - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #18 - Lemongrass - Fleur
Cookoff 2.0 #19 - Summer herbs: basil/parsley/oregano/etc. - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #20 - Tapas and party bites - lunanoir
Cookoff 2.0 #21 - Fall Squash - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #22 - Cauliflower- altonfaninmd
Cookoff 2.0 #23 - Holiday Cookies - ghenne
Cookoff 2.0 #24 - Pressure Cooker - Charlene
Cookoff 2.0 #25 - Hot'n Spicy - Slamdunkpro
Cookoff 2.0 #26 - Soy Sauce - Eye4got
Cookoff 2.0 #27 - Peanut Butter - kimberlyjoy
Cookoff 2.0 #28 - Salmon - Charlene
Cookoff 2.0 #29 - Breakfast - DanC
Cookoff 2.0 #30 - Tortillas - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #31 - Foil Grill Packets - DitsyD

What do you put in those little foil squares and toss on the grill? I love them because they are more forgiving while I am trying to get the rest of the meal on the table. Fathers Day, I put sliced fresh peaches with butter, brown sugar & cinnamon on the grill while we ate dinner. Served over vanilla ice cream. Oooo-la-la.
"Setting an example is not the main means of influencing another, it is the only means." ~Albert Einstein
"Life is too short to make crust for uncertain pies."~Wendy McClure
If looks could kill, women wouldn't need frying pans.
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.
DitsyD
Admiral Briner

Re: Cookoff 2.0 #31 - Foil Grill Packets

Postby lunanoir » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:49 am

I haven't had these since girl scouts (which I stopped going to in fourth grade, so a REALLY LONG TIME AGO) but I remember them fondly.

Campfire Orange Cakes
Ingredients:
• 10-12 oranges
• 1 box of yellow cake mix

Directions:
Using a knife, slice off the tops of the oranges about half an inch from the top. Be sure to save the tops, as they will be used later on in the baking process.

Hollow out each orange by scooping out the orange pulp using a spoon. (reserve pulp for another use; you won't use it here)

Prepare the cake batter according to package directions.

Spoon cake batter into each hollowed out orange until ~3/4 full, then place the top back on each orange. Wrap each orange carefully with heavy aluminum foil, and place directly into the campfire. Let the campfire cakes cook for 15-20 minutes, turning once or twice to ensure even cooking. Unwrap the foil, remove the lid and serve with a spoon.

The site I grabbed this recipe from suggested swapping chocolate cake, or using lemons with lemon cake mix, but I only remember ever having the orange with yellow cake.
lunanoir
Admiral Briner

Postby beenie » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:52 pm

lunanoir wrote:The site I grabbed this recipe from suggested swapping chocolate cake, or using lemons with lemon cake mix, but I only remember ever having the orange with yellow cake.

Ooooh, I think the oranges would be awesome with Devil's food cake.
I've been kissed by Pixie - for real!
beenie
Big Sister

Postby Charlene » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:33 pm

ooo0o0o0oo0o I went to a "Women in the Outdoors"** thing last may in Sebastian and we did a bunch of these. I had so much fun, I can't wait to do it again.

Here are some of the ones we learned, they say they are for coals or on a grill, but I don't see why you couldn't do them in a hot (400 degree) oven too:

Worm Potatoes

4 small baking potatoes
4 sausage links – brown n serve type
Salt
Pepper

“Core” the potato as you would an apple. Then place then Sausage link in the middle, sprinkle with salt, and pepper and wrap in foil. Place it in the hot coals for 45 – 55 minutes turning occasionally.

Charlene

Snicker Tortilla

4 Snicker Bars
4 8 inch Tortillas
Marshmallows
4 Tablespoons Peanut butter
bananas*

Lay each Tortilla on a flat surface, Spread 1 Tablespoon of peanut butter on each tortilla, unwrap and lay 1 snicker bar on each tortilla, sprinkle marshmallows over the top each snicker. Fold each end of the tortilla up and roll each one around the snicker bar. Wrap Alumnum foil around each tortilla and place on hot coals or on a grill turning every 1-2 minutes for 6 to 8 minutes. Unwrap aluminum foil and cut tortilla in half to serve 8.

* Optional - We subbed bananas for the snickers for some of these too... they were SO good, and healthy!

Charlene
Kielbasa Potato & Onion – for 6 servings

3 Idaho Potato
2 Vidalia onion
1 pkg of Kielbasa or Smoked Sausage
6 pats of butter

Slice onions ¼ inch think, Cube potatoes on the small side, slice kielbasa into ¼ inch rounds. Cut 6 - 12 inch foil squares. Layer 1 pat butter, onion, potato, and kielbasa on each square, fold and place on coals. Flip every 10 minutes depending on heat of coals and dinner should be complete in 40 minutes.

Charlene

**Women in the Outdoors info - click here
~lifedramatic~

"An optimist is someone who goes after Moby Dick in a rowboat and brings the tartar sauce."
~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby DitsyD » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Charlene wrote:
Snicker Tortilla

4 Snicker Bars
4 8 inch Tortillas
Marshmallows
4 Tablespoons Peanut butter
bananas*

Lay each Tortilla on a flat surface, Spread 1 Tablespoon of peanut butter on each tortilla, unwrap and lay 1 snicker bar on each tortilla, sprinkle marshmallows over the top each snicker. Fold each end of the tortilla up and roll each one around the snicker bar. Wrap Alumnum foil around each tortilla and place on hot coals or on a grill turning every 1-2 minutes for 6 to 8 minutes. Unwrap aluminum foil and cut tortilla in half to serve 8.

* Optional - We subbed bananas for the snickers for some of these too... they were SO good, and healthy!

Charlene

We made these this evening. Lot of these. We prefer the banana to the Snickers, and Nutella to peanut butter. Nutella is very nice in this app. :D
"Setting an example is not the main means of influencing another, it is the only means." ~Albert Einstein
DitsyD
Admiral Briner

Postby fizzviic » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:59 pm

When my girlfriend and I would go camping, she would say, "bring that Chikenzhit"

Here it is:

On a double thickness of foil place

1 chicken breast
Top with slices of Yellow squash and thinly sliced onion and a bit of minced garlic
Sprinkle heavily with Lipton's Onion Soup mix

Wrap tightly and slap on the grill

OOOPS Forgot that when you unwrap them, slather on some sour cream :)
Please, no poopin' on the poop deck!
No fishin' in snark infested waters, please!
fizzviic
Grand High Poobah Admiral of The Oceans Deep and All the Ships a Sea

Postby L. J. Monaghan » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:07 pm

Quick and easy corn

Take an ear of corn (shucked) and wrap it up in foil with a pinch of salt and a tbls of butter and throw it on the grill for for 20 minutes or so.
L. J. Monaghan
Lieutenant Commander Briner

Postby DitsyD » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:23 pm

OK folks. Last call. I will be naming a winner later this week.
DitsyD
Admiral Briner

Postby DitsyD » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:53 pm

This is was a great competition and a hard one to judge. Every dish was good; my family ate and enjoyed them all. Actually, quite a feat there. I will copy off these recipes and make them all again.

Tonight, we discussed all of the entries, tallied up the tally, and the winner is...
Charlene.

(Note to Fizzy - this was the 1st time my son liked yellow squash. Thanks!)
DitsyD
Admiral Briner

Postby Charlene » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:21 pm

Thanks!! I'm glad everyone liked them!

I need a day or so to think of a new ingredient. I'll post one soon!

Charlene
~lifedramatic~

"An optimist is someone who goes after Moby Dick in a rowboat and brings the tartar sauce."
~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Return to Cookoffs