[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Cookoff 2.0 #32 - Rice - Charlene

Cookoff 2.0 #32 - Rice - Charlene

Cookoff archives

Postby Charlene » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:45 pm

Cookoff 2.0 #1 - Heat Infusion - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #2 - Tomatoes - Unknown Foodie
Cookoff 2.0 #3 - Butternut Squash - Jackiecat
Cookoff 2.0 #4 - Fennel - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #5 - Grains of Paradise - PattyE
Cookoff 2.0 #6 - Eggplant - Geimerst
Cookoff 2.0 #7 - Soup - Pixie
Cookoff 2.0 #8 - Ribs - Dan
Cookoff 2.0 #9 - Citrus fruit - Moonablaze
Cookoff 2.0 #10 - Clams - Thierry
Cookoff 2.0 #11 - Ground Beef - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #12 - Olives - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #13 - Slaw - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #14 - Peppercorns - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #15 - Yogurt - Eye4got
Cookoff 2.0 #16 - Summer Squash - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #17 - Collards - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #18 - Lemongrass - Fleur
Cookoff 2.0 #19 - Summer herbs: basil/parsley/oregano/etc. - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #20 - Tapas and party bites - lunanoir
Cookoff 2.0 #21 - Fall Squash - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #22 - Cauliflower- altonfaninmd
Cookoff 2.0 #23 - Holiday Cookies - ghenne
Cookoff 2.0 #24 - Pressure Cooker - Charlene
Cookoff 2.0 #25 - Hot'n Spicy - Slamdunkpro
Cookoff 2.0 #26 - Soy Sauce - Eye4got
Cookoff 2.0 #27 - Peanut Butter - kimberlyjoy
Cookoff 2.0 #28 - Salmon - Charlene
Cookoff 2.0 #29 - Breakfast - DanC
Cookoff 2.0 #30 - Tortillas - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #31 - Foil Grill Packets - DitsyD

What's your favorite way with rice? Pilaf, casserole with mushroom soup and veggies, yellow rice and chicken, coconut milk and curry powder? What's your favorite way you have this versatile little pantry helper??

Charlene
~lifedramatic~

"An optimist is someone who goes after Moby Dick in a rowboat and brings the tartar sauce."
~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Re: Cookoff 2.0 #32 - Rice - Charlene

Postby carla » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:31 pm

I lost the Green Rice recipe I had. Needs green onions, which I love.

Ah, this may be it; it's close enough! Oh. Cooked rice? Not in my old favorite. Oh well. Great for leftover Chinese food.
http://www.food.com/recipe/green-herb-rice-411721

Ingredients

o 1/2 cup green onions finely chopped
o 1/4 cup fresh dill finely chopped
o 1/2 cup fresh parsley finely chopped
o 1/2 cup fresh cilantro finely chopped
o 1/2 cup butter or margarine or ghee
o 4-5 cups cooked rice

Directions

1. combine onions,dill weed,parsley, and cilantro in a bowl & mix well.
2. heat butter, margarine or ghee in a skillet over medium heat.
3. swirl pan to coat bottom pour in 1/2 of the cooked rice & sprinkle with 1/2 of the herb mixture.
4. add remaning rice & sprinkle with remaning herb mixture. do not mix.
5. cover & steam over low heat for 30 minutes.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby jackiecat » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:42 pm

My absolutely favorite rice recipe is Ina Garten's Butternut Squash risotto! I'm not submitting this for the cookoff contest because I don't make any of my own changes to her recipe (other than leaving out the saffron). So I'll just be lazy and link to her recipe

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina- ... index.html

For those of you who don't like to click on links, here's the recipe, though I urge you to go the the original to read the comments.

Saffron Risotto with Butternut Squash

2002, Barefoot Contessa Family Style, All Rights Reserved

Prep Time:
10 min
--
Cook Time:
40 min

Level:
Intermediate

Serves:
4 to 6 servings

Ingredients

* 1 butternut squash (2 pounds)
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
* 6 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
* 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
* 2 ounces pancetta, diced
* 1/2 cup minced shallots (2 large)
* 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice (10 ounces)
* 1/2 cup dry white wine
* 1 teaspoon saffron threads
* 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Peel the butternut squash, remove the seeds, and cut it into 3/4-inch cubes. You should have about 6 cups. Place the squash on a sheet pan and toss it with the olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, tossing once, until very tender. Set aside.

Meanwhile, heat the chicken stock in a small covered saucepan. Leave it on low heat to simmer.

In a heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter and saute the pancetta and shallots on medium-low heat for 10 minutes, until the shallots are translucent but not browned. Add the rice and stir to coat the grains with butter. Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes. Add 2 full ladles of stock to the rice plus the saffron, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Stir, and simmer until the stock is absorbed, 5 to 10 minutes. Continue to add the stock, 2 ladles at a time, stirring every few minutes. Each time, cook until the mixture seems a little dry, then add more stock. Continue until the rice is cooked through, but still al dente, about 30 minutes total. Off the heat, add the roasted squash cubes and Parmesan cheese. Mix well and serve.

Printed from FoodNetwork.com on Mon Aug 02 2010

© 2010 Television Food Network, G.P. All Rights Reserved
Advertisement will not be printed

Edited to add: Do not leave out the pancetta. It's what makes it go from good to WOW!
I hope you make it, everyone I've made it for has loved it!
Last edited by jackiecat on Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheryl

I've been kissed by Pixie AND hugged by Holly!

I'm not a great cook, but I'm a GREAT taster - Ina Garten
jackiecat
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:00 pm

My daughter makes a Lemon Risotto that is to die for. I'm pretty sure it was Nigella Lawson's recipe, since she adores Nigella, but I'm fairly sure Butter Jr. didn't include celery. At any rate, Nigella's recipe is below:

Ingredients

* 2 shallots
* 1 rib celery
* 1/4 cup unsalted butter
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 1/3 cups risotto rice, preferably Arborio or Vialone Nano
* Approximately 1 quart vegetable stock
* 1/2 unwaxed lemon, zested and juiced
* Needles from 2 small sprigs fresh rosemary, finely chopped
* 1 egg yolk
* 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan, plus more, for garnish
* 4 tablespoons heavy cream
* Good grating black pepper, preferably white
* Maldon or other sea salt, to taste

Directions

Put the shallots and celery into a mini food processor and blitz until they are finely chopped. Heat half the butter, the oil and the shallot and celery mixture in a wide saucepan, and cook to soften the mixture for about 5 minutes, making sure it doesn't stick. Mix in the rice, stirring to give it a good coating of oil and butter. Meanwhile, heat the stock in another saucepan and keep it at the simmering point.

Put a ladleful of the stock into the rice and keep stirring until the stock is absorbed. Then add another ladleful and stir again. Continue doing this until the rice is al dente. You may not need all of the stock, equally, you may need to add hot water from the kettle.

Mix the lemon zest and the rosemary into the risotto, and in a small bowl beat the egg yolk, lemon juice, Parmesan, cream and pepper.

When the risotto is ready - when the rice is no longer chalky, but still has some bite - take it off the heat and add the bowl of eggy, lemony mixture, and the remaining butter and salt, to taste. Serve with more Parmesan if you wish, check the seasoning and dive in.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby haleoalau » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:48 am

Ingredients

* 2 cups water/broth/stock
* 1 tablespoon butter
* 1 teaspoon chicken or vegetable bouillon granules or "Better than Bullion" (I prefer BtB)
* 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
* 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
* 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
* 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
* 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
* 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
* 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

Directions

1. In a large saucepan, combine the water, butter and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Add remaining ingredients. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. I have also successfully made this in a rice cooker.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
haleoalau
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby instain » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:12 am

I vote for Wisk's Red Wine Mushroom Risotto.
instain
Lieutenant Briner

Postby sadiedog » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:29 am

It's a low-style pantry fodder recipe, but I grew up eating it and it's comfort food for me. Oh, it's also not low fat, but could be modified.

Mushroom with Rice – Mom’s recipe

1 can Cream of Mushroom soup
1 can water
1 cup long cook rice
1 can drained mushrooms
1 stick of butter – cut into pieces

Stir all the ingredients together, place in a casserole and bake, covered in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour or when the rice is soft. Be sure to stir occasionally.

My Modifications:

1. Slice up 2 chicken breasts and add to the rest of the ingredients.
2. Saute fresh button mushrooms and add a bit of dried parsley.
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby Marz Epan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:53 pm

My grandmother used to make something we called Spanish Rice and until this recipe, I was never able to duplicate her flavor. This recipe uses Minute Rice but it's very easy to make on those nights you come home and are pressed for time or just don't feel like cooking. I like to serve it with tacos or chicken.

1 cup salsa
1 cup chicken broth
2 cups quick cooking rice

In a skillet, heat up the salsa and chicken broth until boiling, stirring occasionally. Add the rice, stir to incorporate and cover. Remove from heat and let sit five minutes or until rice grains are cooked through. Now, to this base recipe, there are times I want to kick it up so I'll add any of the following:

1 small can of Mexicorn with the liquid mostly drained
or
a handful of chopped green olives with a little of the brine (or sometimes just some brine)
or
some chopped pimentos

ETA: Oops, I forgot. I sometimes add a cup (or handful) of that shredded Mexican/taco style cheese too.
Marz Epan
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby beenie » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:31 pm

Upon request, an easy rice pudding recipe:

1c uncooked rice
3c water
pinch salt

Combine rice, water, salt in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, bring to boil, reduce to low simmer, COVER and LEAVE ALONE for 20 minutes. Fluff with fork.

Stir in two 15oz cans of coconut milk, 1/2 cup sugar and spices to taste (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, etc.). Let sit on very low heat, stirring occasionally until thick and creamy.

This recipe is best served warm.
I've been kissed by Pixie - for real!
beenie
Big Sister

Postby flowerchick » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:54 pm

I vote for Buttah Jr.'s Lemon Risotto!

This isnt a recipe so much is it is just like crack to me cuz I love Cilantro!

Prepare to make 3 cups of Jasmine rice according to directions. whatever they are...
Finely chop 1 bunch of cilantro, add this to rice/water along with your taste buds preference of salt, and 3 T of Buttah, and cook until eet ezz dohn!

Serve with everything.
Nom.

GEFP Style Maven

"There is a flower, a little flower with a silver crest and golden eye...that welcomes every changing hour and weathers every sky."
flowerchick
Admiral Briner

Postby Erin » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:16 am

*knocks*

Hello?

This cookoff thread started about a month ago and the last post was over two weeks ago now...
GEFP Resident Reluctant Pinup, Backseam Expert and Self-Appointed Weathergirl "Extraordinaire"
Erin
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby beenie » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:13 pm

Per Charlene, winner to be announced Saturday.
I've been kissed by Pixie - for real!
beenie
Big Sister

Postby Charlene » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Thanks for those of you that posted. Really bummed there weren't more entries. I guess that's why I waited around so long Erin.

The winner is haleoalau!

What's next up?

Charlene
~lifedramatic~

"An optimist is someone who goes after Moby Dick in a rowboat and brings the tartar sauce."
~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby haleoalau » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:13 pm

wow....I never win anything...maybe I should have played powerball this week. Will post my choice asap!
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
haleoalau
Vice Admiral Briner

Return to Cookoffs