[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Cookoff 2.0 #33 - Wild Game - haleoalau

Cookoff 2.0 #33 - Wild Game - haleoalau

Cookoff archives

Postby haleoalau » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:21 pm

Cookoff 2.0 #1 - Heat Infusion - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #2 - Tomatoes - Unknown Foodie
Cookoff 2.0 #3 - Butternut Squash - Jackiecat
Cookoff 2.0 #4 - Fennel - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #5 - Grains of Paradise - PattyE
Cookoff 2.0 #6 - Eggplant - Geimerst
Cookoff 2.0 #7 - Soup - Pixie
Cookoff 2.0 #8 - Ribs - Dan
Cookoff 2.0 #9 - Citrus fruit - Moonablaze
Cookoff 2.0 #10 - Clams - Thierry
Cookoff 2.0 #11 - Ground Beef - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #12 - Olives - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #13 - Slaw - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #14 - Peppercorns - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #15 - Yogurt - Eye4got
Cookoff 2.0 #16 - Summer Squash - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #17 - Collards - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #18 - Lemongrass - Fleur
Cookoff 2.0 #19 - Summer herbs: basil/parsley/oregano/etc. - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #20 - Tapas and party bites - lunanoir
Cookoff 2.0 #21 - Fall Squash - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #22 - Cauliflower- altonfaninmd
Cookoff 2.0 #23 - Holiday Cookies - ghenne
Cookoff 2.0 #24 - Pressure Cooker - Charlene
Cookoff 2.0 #25 - Hot'n Spicy - Slamdunkpro
Cookoff 2.0 #26 - Soy Sauce - Eye4got
Cookoff 2.0 #27 - Peanut Butter - kimberlyjoy
Cookoff 2.0 #28 - Salmon - Charlene
Cookoff 2.0 #29 - Breakfast - DanC
Cookoff 2.0 #30 - Tortillas - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #31 - Foil Grill Packets - DitsyD
Cookoff 2.0 #32 - Rice - Charlene

Our neighbors freezer recently went out and he dropped off a couple of hunks of shoulder for us before they thawed - one of venison, and the other wild pig. I'm looking for inspiration!
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
haleoalau
Vice Admiral Briner

Re: Cookoff 2.0 #33 - Wild Game - haleoalau

Postby eye4got » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:53 pm

I'll play. All of these recipes are taken from "Cy Littlebee's Guide to Cooking Fish and Game", published by the Missouri Department of Conservation.

Poyha - Cherokee Indian Meat Loaf
1 pound ground venison
1 can whole kernel corn
1 small chopped onion
salt to taste (absolutely no pepper)
2 eggs
1/2 cup water-ground cornmeal

Brown the ground venison in fat. When thoroughly cooked addd corn and onion, cook 10 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients; cook 15 more minutes, put in greased loaf pan. Bake 20-45 minutes at 350. Slice, serve with gravy.

Casserole of Pheasant
2 Pheasants
2 stalks celery
2 small carrots
1 apple, quartered
2 onions, quartered
2 cups cooked rice (wild rice is very good)
2 Tbsp olive oil or Wesson oil
1/2 cup diced ham

Dress and wash birds well. Season. Stuff with celery, carrots, apples, onions, olive oil and dice ham all mixed thoroughly. Place the birds in a buttered casserole and bake covered until tender and brown.

This is a real treat for informal (see what I bagged) dinner with a casserole of scalloped potatoes and a big fresh fruit salad.

The following recipe is posted purely for its novelty.

Skunk
Skin, clean and remove the scent glands. Put in a strong solution or salt water and parboil for about 15 minutes. Drain off this water, add fresh water, season, and steam slowly for about 1 hour or until tender.

The book also contains recipes for beaver, raccoon, rabbit, groundhog (woodchuck), squirrel (sorry Zoomy!)
"I do believe that the supreme arrogance to believe that you understand the mind of the creator of the universe and are empowered to judge other humans in God's name is at the root of many of humanity's problems."
-Kinsley
eye4got
Admiral Briner

Postby Sharona » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:26 am

I call it "Venison Brunswick Stew", but realistically it's made with whatever we have -- venison, rabbit, and/or squirrel in that order. Usually I am dealing with venison that's very gamey, coming from mature bucks with large racks. If your venison source is shooting antlerless, you may not have to deal with overcoming as much gaminess as I do.

Venison Brunswick Stew

Ingredients:
1/4-1/2 pound bacon
1.5-2 pounds of meat, ground venison, boned squirrel or rabbit or some combination
28oz diced tomatoes (several ripe ones work better than canned)
1 qt broth (homemade salt-free "juice"; beef or veggie works best)
2 medium yellow/sharp onions, chopped
1 cup (6 oz) baby lima beans
1.5 cups (9 oz) kernel corn
1 cup (6 oz) chopped okra
Spicing:
1/4-1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
2-3 tablespoons Chipotle Tabasco sauce
2-5 tablespoons brown sugar
2-4 tablespoons Worchestershire sauce

If using cube-steak venison, marinade overnight in cheap red wine, then discard the wine before cooking - this will cut back on the "gamey" flavor.
If using ground venison, let it sit in a colander so blood drains out

Heat the stewpot & fry the bacon in the stewpot. Pour out all but a couple of tablespoons of the bacon grease into a cup and set it aside. After pouring out the excess grease, use a flat-bottom spatula to scrape up any crunchy brown flavor bits off the bottom of the pot.

Add the following ingredients to the stewpot, bring it to a burble, and let it simmer: broth; diced tomatoes+juices; chopped onions; and about half of the bacon (hand-crumple into smaller chunks). Side note: You can treat the rest of the bacon as "crumple for extra spicing" during the spicing phase, or just eat it.

While that's simmering, use some of the set-aside bacon grease to lightly grease a frying pan. Brown the meat, whether chunked or not. If you're using ground venison, use a paper towel to blot up any released blood which will keep gamey taste down. When browned, add the meat to the stew pot. You're done with the bacon grease at this point.

Add the lima beans, corn, and okra to the pot. Let the whole mess simmer together for about 15 minutes, then do the first round of spicing. Some people like a punchier tomato flavor, my husband often adds one to four tablespoons of tomato paste at this point.

I generally start at the low end of the spicing, then wait another 15-30 for a second round. Generally total cooking time is about an hour, and I do the last spicing about 5-10 minutes before serving. This is also when we'll salt and pepper to taste.

Optional suggestion: parsley. Some people love it with this, some hate it.
Sharona
Captain Briner

Postby Sharona » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:40 am

This was a total experiment "let's take bits from several recipes and play". It came out as a sort of "crossover BBQ", starting with Indian spicing and ending with American. We've had it several times now, with no real tweaks to the basic recipe but it's amazingly versatile as a filling of sorts. Sorry about the writing style, it's pasted from email I sent out to friends, you can probably figure out the bits I add for their benefit:

"Venison Helper" also works well with Wild Hog ...

Started off making a standard faux-Asian-Indian seasoning paste: heat a couple tablespoons of oil and stir-fry 1T each grated ginger & crushed garlic for 30-60 seconds avoiding scorching, then add a collection of powdered/ground spices you've already mixed together: 2-3t cumin, 1/2t black pepper, 1t tumeric, 1t cinnamon, 1/8t cloves. Plus 1 finely chopped red Thai chili pepper (seeded & cored unless you want to be all macho about it). Blend it all together over low heat for a couple of minutes. You'll end up with a thick paste that makes your kitchen smell fantastic and mixes well with a lot of things.

After getting the paste done, I added a medium chopped onion and stir-fried that for a minute in the spices (don't use a sweet Vidalia onion, it will get lost).

(The first time: Then added the meat and stir-fried that for a couple of minutes, breaking up the chunks if ground, until it looked more or less done. The venison was so low-fat that it was almost dry. Later times: brown the ground meat separately, drain, and add to the rest of the mixture - we took that route because it was so gamey)

Then my husband stepped in and piled on American-syle BBQ ingredients: cider vinegar, tomato paste dissolved in some water, and brown sugar.

Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer on low for a while. Since the meat is the only "cook for safety" ingredient, and it had pretty much cooked through by then, I was simmering only to let the flavors meld -- plus the rice wasn't done yet.

Not sure what to call it, but we've had it multiple times now. Good served over basmati rice, or rolled up in tortillas with a dab of sour cream + shredded cheese, or maybe yoghurt, and a really dry version made calzone and burrito meat fillings.

We joked about how much it looked like Hamburger Helper in the pan. Or Manwich sauce. If not for the cinnamon and cloves and ginger hitting the nostrils, you could easily imaging it as sloppy-joe stuff.
Sharona
Captain Briner

Postby Sharona » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:58 am

Another one written in the "email to friends" style that is far more lecture-y than the folks here probably need:

"Seven Spice Dirty Grain Game"
(Sort of Seven Spice + Dirty Rice + Other Grains + Ground Game meat)

As you can tell from the ingredient list, it's a great way to empty out "extra veggies that were chopped for pizza or earlier recipes" from the fridge :) Don't let the long ingredient list be intimidating, it really is very easy.

This requires a large saute or deep frying pan that has a good-fitting cover. It makes about 6-8 cups of the mixture! You'll also need a smaller pot for cooking the rice.

grains:
1/2 cup brown rice (uncooked measurement)
1/2 cup pearl barley
1/2 cup bulghur wheat

dry spices:
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1-1.5 teaspoon ground cumin
1-1.5 teaspoon dry ground mustard
1 teaspoon ground thyme
1/2 teaspoon oregano (maybe more)
~1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4-1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional - gives neat Southwesternish flavor)

other:
1-2 small chipotle peppers, reconstituted & finely chopped
~6-10 curry leaves
3-4 cups of broth, ideally low-salt.
1/4-1/2 cup marsala

veggies (don't have to be fanatic about portion sizes):
1/2-1 cup finely chopped onion (~1 medium-large onion)
1/4-1/2 cup finely chopped celery (about a 10" stalk)
1/2-1 cup diced green and/or red bell pepper (~1/2-1 of a large pepper)
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced

meat: About 12-16oz of ground boar, also works well with venison and lamb. The spicing is pretty in-your-face so it goes well with assertive meats.

Do ahead of time:

* Chop all of the veggies because you won't have time during the cooking
* Measure all of the dry spices into a cup or bowl, break up any lumps in the powders, and give it a couple of mixing-twirls with a fork or DRY whisk -- just enough to blend (take it easy on this step unless you want a cloud of spice powder in your kitchen and up your nose)

First step:
* Go ahead and bring ~1-1/2 to 2 cups of the broth to a boil, and add 1/2 cup of long-grain brown rice. Let it boil for a minute or so, then drop to low setting and simmer. You want to cook this as if for regular use, but stopping it while it still has a few minutes left to go. Depending upon the rice brand, this can be 10-20 minutes before you start the rest of the recipe. It's not the end of the world if you misjudge and the rice ends up "done".

OK, now the actual cooking:

Heat up the saute or frying pan, then brown the meat with the curry leaves. Drain.

When the meat is more or less done, add the spice mixture and the chipotle pepper to the pan and cook the spices and meat together for another 2-3 minutes. Stir constantly and scrap the bottom of the pan regularly to prevent stuck-bits from becoming burnt-bits.

Then add the vegetables and cook for another 8-10 minutes, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan.

Depending upon how fanatic you were about sopping up the fat from the ground meat, you may or may not need to add back a teaspoon or tablespoon of the fat, or just a pat of butter, to keep things sizzling a bit. (I've tried using bacon grease here but it didn't blend well with the spicing)

Add the marsala and the rest of the broth and stir. Pour in the rice along with any unabsorbed broth in which it was cooked. Stir to mix well together. Then add the barley and bulghur wheat. Stir to mix well together while making sure to loosen up any bits stuck to the bottom. Salt and pepper to taste. The amount of salt you use here may be all over the map, since most boxed/canned broths already have gobs of salt in them. I use a salt-free homemade broth so we definitely have to add salt.

After a couple of minutes you can cover it and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the grains have reached the stage of done-ness that you like. Some people like al dente barley & rice, some like it mooshier.

Keep an eye on it, since the barley and wheat will *slurp* up the liquid quickly -- you may need to add an extra 1/2-1 cup of broth or water. Ideally, the grains will be done just when all of the liquid has been absorbed.

Serve immediately. This is OK the second day, but it really loses a lot if not eaten within an hour or so. Much of the spicing disappears by day two, leaving you with something that tastes a good deal like meat loaf!

I've tried this as a stuffing for eggplants and peppers, too ... it works if you like that type of thing.
Sharona
Captain Briner

Postby Sharona » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:23 am

haleoalau wrote:Our neighbors freezer recently went out and he dropped off a couple of hunks of shoulder for us before they thawed - one of venison, and the other wild pig. I'm looking for inspiration!

FWIW, you can take most beef recipes and substitute venison ... it really works well for rich stews. This is a standard Beef Provencal that I modified from somewhere, and it works very well with venison. I like to marinade the venison overnight in cheap red wine that is poured off and discarded when we cube the venison. So I'm not submitting this recipe in the contest, just mentioning it as a possibility:

"Provencal Beef Stew" -
1.5-2 lbs lean stew beef
(beef coating for browning: 1/2 cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper)
1-3 tablespoons olive oil (amt will depend upon what's used in browning)
1 medium yellow onion
1 medium carrot (about 4oz)
1 stalk celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, chopped (anything under 5 cloves will disappear)
2 pieces of orange peel, 2" long, no white pith
1/4-1/2 cup chopped fresh flatleaf parsley (not dried)
1-2 bay leaves
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1 cup of peeled, chopped paste-type tomatoes (meaty, not juicy)
1 cup beef broth (I use low-sodium/low-fat)
1.5 cups red wine (NOT cooking wine, a decent rich red drinkable wine)
(spicing to taste: 1/4-1 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper?)

Cut the beef into whatever cube size you like for stew (3/4"-1" for us). Lightly flour the beef cubes, and then brown them in the stewpot. Browning will likely require several batches due to the volume, and you may need to add a teaspoon or two of oil between batches. Overall, it took us about 2 tablespoons of olive oil to brown it all. Pat the beef dry and set it aside.

Leave the stove on (usually "Low" is sufficient), and if there isn't at least one tablespoon of olive oil left in the bottom of the pot, add a bit more until it looks like about a tablespoon. Add the carrots, onion and celery to the pot and let it cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring it around now and then. Then add the garlic, orange zest, parsley, bay leaf, thyme, tomatoes and cook together for another 3-5 minutes, with a couple of stirs in between. By now it's going to start smelling really, really neat.

Add the broth and the wine, and stir well. By now you should be able to loosen up the flavor-bits stuck to the bottom of the stewpot from the browning stage: use a plastic or wooden spoon or spatula to give it a few scrapes. Let this all blend together for a couple of minutes, and enjoy the really cool rich smell produced when the wine, orange, and thyme all combine (the alcohol smell disappears really fast).

Finally, add the beef back into the pot. Cover and simmer. About 30 minutes into the simmering, sample it and add a bit of salt or pepper if desired (we added about 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper). Let it simmer for about 1-2 hours total, sending the husband in every few minutes to stir it and report back how it smells and tastes. It's done when the beef and veggies are tender through and through.
Sharona
Captain Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:39 am

Here's one that's amazingly easy and delicious.

Venison Tagine

First, I suppose you can use either piece of meat for this -- from what I gather, the sweetness of the dried fruit in the tagine would complement pork just as well as venison.

Second, you don't need a tagine. Just use a Dutch oven or Crock Pot.

1.5 lbs venison shoulder, cut into 1" chunks
1 large onion, chopped
2 tbs. olive oil
1 tsp EACH: ground cumin, ground ginger, ground coriander
1 stick cinnamon (or 1/2-1 tsp ground)
1.5-2 cups dried fruit of your choosing (good options include raisins, currants, chopped mango, chopped apricots, prunes)
1 can chick peas, rinsed and drained
harissa to taste (optional -- or use some red pepper flakes, tabasco, or cayenne if you'd prefer)
1-2 cups stock or water
Salt and pepper to taste
Handful chopped parsley/cilantro
1/2 cup blanched almonds, toasted (toss with a little oil and toast in oven or skillet until golden brown)
Prepared couscous (follow instructions on box)

Season meat. In Dutch oven, brown meat in oil. Remove with slotted spoon. Add spices and stir until fragrant. Add onions. Return meat to pot. Add stock/water to cover. Simmer over low heat or place in 300-degree oven for about 3 hours, or transfer everything to a slow cooker and cook on low for 4-5 hours, until meat is just fork-tender. Add chick peas, fruit and harissa, adjust seasoning, and cook for about 30 minutes, until fruit is plump and meat is very tender.

Spoon couscous into serving platter, spoon tagine mixture on top, and top with almonds and chopped parsley/cilantro.

Enjoy!
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:54 am

I've never eaten game, let alone cooked it. My loss indeed! But I really wanted to share my favorite childhood cookbook (for reading, not cooking), which I was playing with tonight in another thread.
The two-volume "Encyclopedia of Modern Cooking" by Meta Givens, first copyright 1947, which I so enjoyed as a kid (thanks mom!). It has what appears to be a fine game section, with everything from squirrel to bear.

Info:
Health of the Animal, Prompt & Adeqauate Bleeding, Careful Dressing & Evisceration, more on Evisceration, Removal of Shot Areas; (presumed "Removal of" the following:) Feathers, Fur, Fat, and Glands; Scrubbing & Washing, Storage, & Cooking.

Meats:
Antelope, Bear, Beaver, Deer or Venison, Wild Duck, Elk, Game Birds (grouse, partridge & quail), Muskrat or Marsh Hare, Possum, Pheasant, Rabbit, Raccoon, Squirrel, Woodchuck, and Turtle. (Whew!)

And brief subsections on Gravy (how to cook bird giblets for gravy; and Currant, Giblet, Milk, & Pan gravies), and Dressings or Stuffings (Bread, Mushroom, Noodle, and Sage). They are listed like an ingredient, along with all the animal/meat type subsections. Just part of the book's charm. :D

The book seems pretty darn popular; lots of entries on Google and 20 five-star reviews on Amazon. I'm charmed by reading others' take on the book. Haven't found excerpts from the game section. I'd be happy to provide recipes to anyone interested, just post or PM.

Venison:
Braised chops in mushroom gravy
BBQ tenderloin
Broiled tenderloin
Pan-fried chops
Venison loaf
Venison loin roast
Venison patties in onion gravy (the gravy recipe is separate & the patty recipe has marrow as an ingredient.)
Venison pot pie
Venison stew deluxe

11 duck recipes, including soup, roast Brazilian duck w/wild rice & liver stuffing, and roast wild duck with mashed potato stuffing. NO idea what makes the former recipe Braz --
Never mind.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Kamidanshir » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:44 am

I've got a great venison chili recipe :whistle: ...

/old joke
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Kamidanshir
Dread Pirate Briner

Postby koshersalty » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:08 pm

1. Kill deer

2. Field dress deer (retain heart)

3. Remove tenderloin

4. Slice tenderloin and heart

5. Pan fry in butter

6. Salt and pepper to taste

7. Serve with fried potatoes and Busch Light.
http://www.do1thing.us
---------------
What doesn't kill us only makes us wierder...
koshersalty
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby haleoalau » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:23 pm

Sorry I haven't posted a winner yet. Our internet has been wonky and every time I want to share a recipe with the Hub to help me decide I can not friggin' get on the 'net, so I'm copying the whole page and will try to remember to ask him tonight.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
haleoalau
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby haleoalau » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:57 am

Hey, NOLA, you's up girl. The Venison Tangine will be attempted at some future date.
haleoalau
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:52 am

Oh, yay! :D Hope you enjoy it -- it's been a loooooooong time since I've had venison to work with! :D

Now for a topic... lemme see....
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Return to Cookoffs