[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Cookoff 2.0 #35 - Potatoes

Cookoff 2.0 #35 - Potatoes

Cookoff archives

Cookoff 2.0 #35 - Potatoes

Postby Kinsley » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:44 am

Cookoff 2.0 #1 - Heat Infusion - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #2 - Tomatoes - Unknown Foodie
Cookoff 2.0 #3 - Butternut Squash - Jackiecat
Cookoff 2.0 #4 - Fennel - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #5 - Grains of Paradise - PattyE
Cookoff 2.0 #6 - Eggplant - Geimerst
Cookoff 2.0 #7 - Soup - Pixie
Cookoff 2.0 #8 - Ribs - Dan
Cookoff 2.0 #9 - Citrus fruit - Moonablaze
Cookoff 2.0 #10 - Clams - Thierry
Cookoff 2.0 #11 - Ground Beef - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #12 - Olives - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #13 - Slaw - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #14 - Peppercorns - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #15 - Yogurt - Eye4got
Cookoff 2.0 #16 - Summer Squash - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #17 - Collards - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #18 - Lemongrass - Fleur
Cookoff 2.0 #19 - Summer herbs: basil/parsley/oregano/etc. - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #20 - Tapas and party bites - lunanoir
Cookoff 2.0 #21 - Fall Squash - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #22 - Cauliflower- altonfaninmd
Cookoff 2.0 #23 - Holiday Cookies - ghenne
Cookoff 2.0 #24 - Pressure Cooker - Charlene
Cookoff 2.0 #25 - Hot'n Spicy - Slamdunkpro
Cookoff 2.0 #26 - Soy Sauce - Eye4got
Cookoff 2.0 #27 - Peanut Butter - kimberlyjoy
Cookoff 2.0 #28 - Salmon - Charlene
Cookoff 2.0 #29 - Breakfast - DanC
Cookoff 2.0 #30 - Tortillas - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #31 - Foil Grill Packets - DitsyD
Cookoff 2.0 #32 - Rice - Charlene
Cookoff 2.0 #33 - Wild Game - haleoalau
Cookoff 2.0 #34 - Sugar-Free Desserts - nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #35 - Potatoes - Kinsley

With the possible exception of the egg,
no food is more versatile than the potato.

The Artist formerly known as BigCrab

"They were so preoccupied with what they could do, that they didn't
think about whether they should.''
- Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park .

"You can't always get what you want; but if you try sometimes,
you just might find, you get what you need."
- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Re: Cookoff 2.0 #35 - Potatoes

Postby sadiedog » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:55 pm

I have eaten more potatoes than any other veggie, hands down. I owe that to my Slovak/Polish/Ukrainian/Hungarian background.

Dad's Mashed Potato Pancakes

2 c. leftover mashed potatoes
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. milk
1 egg, beaten
1 onion, grated

Bacon drippings or cooking oil
Salt & pepper to taste (optional)

Combine mashed potatoes, flour, milk, egg, onions. Salt and pepper as desired. Form into 3 inch round patties and fry in bacon drippings or cooking oil. Brown on both sides. Drain and serve.
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:37 pm

Chorizo Hash Browns

1 tube (1/2 lb) Mexican-style Chorizo
1 large shallot or 1 small onion, chopped
1 lb frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed (or shred your own)
Olive oil

Break up the chorizo in a large skillet with some olive oil & brown over med-high heat. Add the shallot & saute until translucent. Add the potatoes & mix with the chorizo. You may want to add more oil at this point for browning. Flatten the potato mixture & cook over med-low heat until a crust forms on the bottom & turn (flip if you have the confidence) & brown on the other side.

(Note: The chorizo is pretty intense, so be sure to have plenty of potatoes; my measurements are approximate).

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby eye4got » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:54 am

While not the star of this dish, potatoes certainly play an important role in it. This is essentially the recipe I used at the pub where I cooked - we went through 8 gallons of it in 4 days.

Irish Beef Stew
Ingredients
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/4 lbs beef stew meat, cut into bite-size pieces (don't use extra-lean meat)
6 large garlic cloves, minced
6-8 cups beef stock or canned beef broth
12 oz Guinness Stout
2 cups full-bodied red wine
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp dried thyme
1 Tbsp dried rosemary
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
2 Tbsp butter
3 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 7 cups)
1 lb pearl onions, peeled (I buy a bag of peeled frozen ones and thaw them)
2 cups carrots in bite-size pieces
Salt and Pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Method
1 Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Lightly salt the beef pieces. Working in batches if necessary, add the beef (do not crowd the pan, or the meat will steam and not brown) and cook, without stirring, until nicely browned on one side, then use tongs to turn the pieces over. Continue to cook in this manner until all sides are browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add beef stock, Guinness, red wine, tomato paste, rosemary, thyme, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, then cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

2 While the meat and stock is simmering, melt butter in another large pot over medium heat. Add potatoes, onion and carrots. Sauté vegetables until golden, about 20 minutes. Set aside until the beef stew in step one has simmered for one hour.

3 Add vegetables to beef stew. Simmer uncovered until vegetables and beef are very tender, about 40 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Tilt pan and spoon off fat. Transfer stew to serving bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with parsley (if desired) and serve with good, rustic bread or soda bread.
"I do believe that the supreme arrogance to believe that you understand the mind of the creator of the universe and are empowered to judge other humans in God's name is at the root of many of humanity's problems."
-Kinsley
eye4got
Admiral Briner

Postby chefshawn » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:58 am

[url]What's taters, eh?[/url]
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby Party Flavor » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:21 am

This isn't original, so please don't consider it for the cook-off, but I'm a big fan of the Twice-Grilled Potatoes from Weber's Big Book of Grilling:

http://bit.ly/9KJCMF

(If you click blue "back" arrow, there's a picture on the previous page)
An opinionated non-authority, petit four lover, and backward telescope aficionado

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

When a chef tells me he is cooking with his grandmother's recipe, I always wonder why. Did talent skip the past two generations?
Party Flavor
Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:40 pm

Move over, Keller (both of you), there's a new culinary innovator in town!

Pommes Frites aux Fleur de Sel with Sweet Tomato-Vinegar Reduction

For pommes frites: Get potatoes. Don't bother peeling them. Cut them into sticks, er, I mean, allumette -- or maybe batonnet, if you so prefer.

Fry in 325-degree oil for 3-5 minutes, until softened but not browned. Drain well and set aside while heating oil to 400 degrees. Fry potatoes once again for a few minutes, until light golden brown and crispy.

Finish with fleur de sel. Mais non, plain kosher salt will not do!

For the sweet tomato-vinegar reduction: Open bottle of Heinz (or Hunt's) and pour gently.

It is considered gauche to top the pommes frites with the tomato reduction. Instead, serve the reduction in a separate petit souffle cup.

Bon appetit!
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby haleoalau » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:13 pm

nolafoodie wrote:Move over, Keller (both of you), there's a new culinary innovator in town!

For pommes frites: Get potatoes. Don't bother peeling them. Cut them into sticks, er, I mean, allumette -- or maybe batonnet, if you so prefer.

Fry in 325-degree oil for 3-5 minutes, until softened but not browned. Drain well and set aside while heating oil to 400 degrees. Fry potatoes once again for a few minutes, until light golden brown and crispy.

Finish with fleur de sel. Mais non, plain kosher salt will not do!

For the sweet tomato-vinegar reduction: Open bottle of Heinz (or Hunt's) and pour gently.

It is considered gauche to top the pommes frites with the tomato reduction. Instead, serve the reduction in a separate petit souffle cup.

Bon appetit!

I love you, Nola. Truly, sincerely, deeply.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
haleoalau
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby SFB » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:03 pm

This is not my original recipe but I do make my own version. I do a few things to make this better. I add both baking soda, and baking powder, 1/4t each to add a "poof" and aid browning. Plus I add a 1/4 cup crushed pistahios. (big suprise there eh?)

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1750,15 ... 02,00.html
More wag, less bark.
SFB
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Chef Mongo » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:00 pm

Butterbean wrote:Chorizo Hash Browns

1 tube (1/2 lb) Mexican-style Chorizo
1 large shallot or 1 small onion, chopped
1 lb frozen hash brown potatoes, thawed (or shred your own)
Olive oil

Break up the chorizo in a large skillet with some olive oil & brown over med-high heat. Add the shallot & saute until translucent. Add the potatoes & mix with the chorizo. You may want to add more oil at this point for browning. Flatten the potato mixture & cook over med-low heat until a crust forms on the bottom & turn (flip if you have the confidence) & brown on the other side.

(Note: The chorizo is pretty intense, so be sure to have plenty of potatoes; my measurements are approximate).

Mongo heads to Buttah's house for Sunday breakfast ...
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Postby nolafoodie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:24 pm

Here is a tale of two potato recipes... in one:

Papas Rellenas / Potato Kibbeh

Potato kibbeh is good stuff, and my family makes and enjoys it frequently. As it turns out, my Cuban aunt frequently makes papas rellenas (stuffed potatoes) in an uncannily similar fashion. Over the years, we've put a little spin on both recipes. Here's how they go.

For the fluffy potato exterior:

2 lbs. potatoes (Yukon Gold works well), peeled and cut into quarters
Salted water for boiling
1 cup panko
4 eggs, separated, yolks and whites lightly beaten and seasoned

Boil the potatoes until soft. Drain, mash, and cool. Once cooled, adjust seasoning and mix in egg yolks.

For the savory meaty filling:

1 lb. ground beef (can substitute lamb if making potato kibbeh)
1 large onion, finely diced
2 clove garlic, minced/pressed
Kibbeh additions: 1 cup peas and diced carrots (optional; frozen is fine), Middle Eastern seasonings (cumin, coriander, allspice, cardamom, a little cinnamon, and sumac if you have access to it) to taste
Papas Rellenas additions: 1/2 cup chopped Spanish olives, 1/2 cup raisins, small can tomato sauce, cumin and chopped cilantro to taste

Brown ground meat with onion and garlic, add additions (if making papas rellenas, allow tomato sauce to reduce somewhat). Allow filling mixture to cool.

Shape about 1/4 cup potato mixture into a ball. Using index finger, make an indentation in the potato ball, then expand that indentation until you have a deep bowl-shaped shell about 1/4" thick. Fill with meat mixture and carefully close opening to make a ball shape. For papas rellenas, roll and smooth into a ball or oval shape; for potato kibbeh, roll and smooth into a football shape (oval with slightly pointed ends). Continue until all potatoes and/or all filling is used. If you have leftover potatoes, form them into balls without any filling; if you have leftover filling, save it and heat it up for a tasty sandwich.

Dip potatoes into egg whites, then roll in panko, coating well. Place on wax-paper or parchment-lined sheet pan. Refrigerate or freeze (better option) at least several hours before frying. You can also freeze them and, when frozen solid, store them in the freezer for later frying.

Deep fry in 375-degree oil until golden brown and heated through. Enjoy!
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:40 pm

This one's not for the cookoff, but something I'd love to see interpreted by our gang.

Those of you who are Psych fans have probably heard of the fabled "Fries Quatro Queso Dos Fritos." To the uninitiated, here's the description from the show:

Inject potatoes with a 4 cheese mixture, fry them ¾ a way, pull them out, batter them, fry them again and then serve them with bacon and ancho chili sour cream.

A few netizens have attempted to create these marvels. Here are a couple examples:

One blogger's attempt

YouTube video of preparation

I would follow the procedure on the video, but with the blogger's recipe/ingredients. Also, I noticed that the blogger's potatoes leaked, and at the end of the YouTube video, it appears some potatoes opened up during frying. To avoid either mishap, I'd stick a toothpick in each potato to hold the "lid" in place during frying, then remove the toothpicks before serving.

What say you? Anyone up for the challenge?
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby DitsyD » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:50 am

Tortilla Española

Serves 4 to 6 as a tapa or appetizer
• 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 1/4 pounds waxy potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
• 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 8 extra-large eggs
Heat the oil in a large cast-iron skillet or nonstick pan over medium-high until very hot but not smoking. Add the potatoes and onion, season with salt and pepper, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, stirring occasionally and adjusting the heat if necessary so that the vegetables do not brown, until the potatoes are tender when pierced with the tip of a paring knife, 15 to 20 minutes.

Beat the eggs with salt and pepper to taste in a large bowl. Combine the potatoes with the eggs in the bowl; add to the skillet, spreading the potatoes evenly in the pan, and cook for about 1 minute, just to set the bottom of the egg mixture. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes, or until quite set. Carefully flip the tortilla over (invert it onto a plate if you must, then slide it back into the pan, bottom side up) and cook for 5 minutes longer, until set. Flip out onto a clean plate and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
"Setting an example is not the main means of influencing another, it is the only means." ~Albert Einstein
"Life is too short to make crust for uncertain pies."~Wendy McClure
If looks could kill, women wouldn't need frying pans.
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.
DitsyD
Admiral Briner

Postby Charlene » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Cheesy Potato Casserole

32 oz Simply Potatoes brand Southwest seasoned refrigerated hash browns
10 3/4oz can condensed cream of chicken soup
8oz sour cream
1 small onion, chopped
1/4c butter, melted
1t salt
2c shredded cheddar cheese
2c Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned stuffing mix
1/4c butter, melted

Combine cream of chicken soup, sour cream, onion, 1/4c melted butter and salt in a bowl.

Spray inside of Crock Pot with butter flavor cooking spray and place potatoes inside. Mix 2c shredded cheddar cheese with potatoes. Pour soup mixture into potatoes; mix well. Cover top of potato mixture with stuffing mix and drizzle with remaining 1/4c butter. Cover; cook on low 5-7 hours or on high 2 ½-3 hours.

Charlene
~lifedramatic~

"An optimist is someone who goes after Moby Dick in a rowboat and brings the tartar sauce."
~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Charlene » Sat Dec 11, 2010 3:24 pm

Potato Candy

¾ cup of potatoes peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
5 ½ cups of powdered sugar
About ½ cup of Peanut Butter (smooth, although I have never tried crunchy)

Boil potatoes until tender (like you where going to make mashed potatoes)
Drain
Place potatoes into mixing bowl
Mash up with fork
Mix in 4 cups of the sugar a little at a time (by hand)
It should reach dough like consistency
Dust your work surface with about a third of the remaining sugar
Roll out the potato mixture with rolling pin to 12X16 X 1/8 sheet
Spread peanut butter liberally onto mixture
Cut into 2 inch strips
Using a butter knife roll into logs
If mixture is too sticky dust with sugar
After you have rolled up all the mixture give each log a good roll though the remaining sugar
Cut into 1 inch pieces
Chill for 10 to 30 minutes
Enjoy!
Yield 5 dozen pieces
(I will sometimes melt some semi-sweet chocolate and drizzle over them)

Charlene
~lifedramatic~

"An optimist is someone who goes after Moby Dick in a rowboat and brings the tartar sauce."
~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Kinsley » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:43 am

Nola gets the monthly :wink: award for

but it's soup and stew season, so the winner is Eye for
Irish Beef Stew
Calling Mr. 4got to the can-on-a-string phone.

The Artist formerly known as BigCrab

"They were so preoccupied with what they could do, that they didn't
think about whether they should.''
- Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park .

"You can't always get what you want; but if you try sometimes,
you just might find, you get what you need."
- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Postby eye4got » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:06 pm

Thanks, Kinsley.

Let's go with an ingredient appropriate to the season: Egg Nog
(or "holiday nog", or anything else that passes for egg nog)

It has more uses than as a beverage. Let's see some recipes with egg nog as an ingredient.
"I do believe that the supreme arrogance to believe that you understand the mind of the creator of the universe and are empowered to judge other humans in God's name is at the root of many of humanity's problems."
-Kinsley
eye4got
Admiral Briner

Return to Cookoffs