[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Cookoff 2.0 #36 - Egg Nog

Cookoff 2.0 #36 - Egg Nog

Cookoff archives

Cookoff 2.0 #36 - Egg Nog

Postby eye4got » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:08 pm

Cookoff 2.0 #1 - Heat Infusion - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #2 - Tomatoes - Unknown Foodie
Cookoff 2.0 #3 - Butternut Squash - Jackiecat
Cookoff 2.0 #4 - Fennel - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #5 - Grains of Paradise - PattyE
Cookoff 2.0 #6 - Eggplant - Geimerst
Cookoff 2.0 #7 - Soup - Pixie
Cookoff 2.0 #8 - Ribs - Dan
Cookoff 2.0 #9 - Citrus fruit - Moonablaze
Cookoff 2.0 #10 - Clams - Thierry
Cookoff 2.0 #11 - Ground Beef - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #12 - Olives - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #13 - Slaw - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #14 - Peppercorns - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #15 - Yogurt - Eye4got
Cookoff 2.0 #16 - Summer Squash - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #17 - Collards - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #18 - Lemongrass - Fleur
Cookoff 2.0 #19 - Summer herbs: basil/parsley/oregano/etc. - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #20 - Tapas and party bites - lunanoir
Cookoff 2.0 #21 - Fall Squash - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #22 - Cauliflower- altonfaninmd
Cookoff 2.0 #23 - Holiday Cookies - ghenne
Cookoff 2.0 #24 - Pressure Cooker - Charlene
Cookoff 2.0 #25 - Hot'n Spicy - Slamdunkpro
Cookoff 2.0 #26 - Soy Sauce - Eye4got
Cookoff 2.0 #27 - Peanut Butter - kimberlyjoy
Cookoff 2.0 #28 - Salmon - Charlene
Cookoff 2.0 #29 - Breakfast - DanC
Cookoff 2.0 #30 - Tortillas - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #31 - Foil Grill Packets - DitsyD
Cookoff 2.0 #32 - Rice - Charlene
Cookoff 2.0 #33 - Wild Game - haleoalau
Cookoff 2.0 #34 - Sugar-Free Desserts - nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #35 - Potatoes - Kinsley
Cookoff 2.0 #36 - Egg Nog - Eye4got

Let's go with an ingredient appropriate to the season: Egg Nog
(or "holiday nog", or anything else that passes for egg nog)

It has more uses than as a beverage. Let's see some recipes with egg nog as an ingredient.
"I do believe that the supreme arrogance to believe that you understand the mind of the creator of the universe and are empowered to judge other humans in God's name is at the root of many of humanity's problems."
-Kinsley
eye4got
Admiral Briner

Re: Cookoff 2.0 #36 - Egg Nog

Postby Pixietoes » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:32 pm

Russian Sleighride

4 oz. Egg Nog
2 oz. Kahlua
1 oz. Vodka

Pour over ice and serve.
“...If you can make a girl laugh - you can make her do anything...” Marilyn Monroe
Pixietoes
Mom

Postby Slamdunkpro » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:39 pm

Kentucky Avalanche

1 qt eggnog
1 liter Woodford Reserve bourbon whiskey

1. Pour whiskey into glass
2. Pour eggnog down drain
3. Drink whiskey until glass is empty
4. Repeat Steps 1 & 3 as required

:P
No Clicky Blind Linky's!
There is no problem that can’t be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order
I've been kissed by Pixie!
Slamdunkpro
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:30 pm

I reduce the sugar a little or else they're too sweet for my taste but everyone else loves these either way. They are a fairly soft texture and don't flatten out much.

eggnog cookies

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups white sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup eggnog
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
2. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
3. Cream sugar and butter until light. Add eggnog, vanilla, and egg yolks; beat at medium speed with mixer until smooth. Add flour mixture and beat at low speed until just combined. Do not overmix.
4. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet 1 inch apart. Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg. Bake 20 to 23 minutes until bottoms turn light brown.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby captnhoney » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:29 pm

egg nog french toast. I did this one day when I was out of milk and was up for experiementing.

I am guessing it was around 1 or 2 cups eggnog
2 eggs
dash cinnimon
dash nutmeg
dash of vanilla
stale bread the older the better
heat up a skillet and melt wait for it to heat up. Mix egg nog, eggs and spices and dunk bread slices until good and covered in the mixture then put it on the skillet until the side is golden brown and delicious and flip and do the same to the other side.
captnhoney
Commander Briner

Postby sadiedog » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:39 pm

This is the recipe I am going to make for Christmas dessert:
(Edited to get the real recipe I am going to use. ;))

Eggnog Custard Pie - Paula Deen

1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie crust
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs
1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup light rum
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Whipped cream, for garnish
Powdered sugar, for garnish

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

On a lightly floured surface, unroll pie crust. Roll pastry into a 12-inch circle. Press pie crust into a 9-inch deep dish pie plate, crimping edges, if desired. Lightly poke holes into the bottom of the dough once it’s fitted firmly in the plate.

In a large bowl, beat sugar and eggs at medium speed with an electric mixer until well combined. Add evaporated milk, water, rum and salt. Beat at low speed until combined. Pour mixture into crust. Sprinkle top of pie with nutmeg and cinnamon. Place pie onto a rimmed baking sheet with a depth of 1/2-inch. Add hot water to baking sheet.

Bake for about 55 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean.

Cut into desired sizes and garnish with whipped cream and powdered sugar.
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby chefshawn » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:44 am

I call it a "Good Morning"

hardware:
one big coffee mug, that holds at least 12oz

Software:
one cup of brewed coffee, not too expensive, now!
1/4 cup of your favorite store-bought egg nog
1/4 cup of any godiva chocolate liqueur or kahlua

mix well, and enjoy
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby nolafoodie » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:06 pm

I've got one, but it's a bit of a non-recipe -- just something I do with leftover eggnog that I don't want to drink.

Eggnog Sweet Potato Casserole

Make mashed sweet potatoes, but instead of cream/milk, use eggnog. Do feel free to use as much butter, sugar (brown is better, IMO), cinnamon, and/or nutmeg as you see fit (taste as you go along). Orange zest is fine, too, though I'd omit it in this case (you don't want it too "busy"). Then, add a beaten egg to this mixture.

Make a pecan streusel topping: flour and brown sugar (again, as much as you want to use), cut in as much butter as you want, then stir in chopped pecans (how much? you guessed it!).

Spread the potato mixture into a greased baking dish and top with the streusel. Bake at 350 for about half an hour, or until the top is GBD (just make sure the center comes up to a raw-egg safe temperature).
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby Myrealana » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:21 am

captnhoney wrote:egg nog french toast. I did this one day when I was out of milk and was up for experiementing.

I am guessing it was around 1 or 2 cups eggnog
2 eggs
dash cinnimon
dash nutmeg
dash of vanilla
stale bread the older the better
heat up a skillet and melt wait for it to heat up. Mix egg nog, eggs and spices and dunk bread slices until good and covered in the mixture then put it on the skillet until the side is golden brown and delicious and flip and do the same to the other side.

I've done this myself, the few times a little eggnog has actually made it to Sunday morning without being totally inhaled by the boys.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Mrs. Salty » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:36 pm

I have made egg nog ice cream before which was really yummy!!

I can't remember exactly, but I think it was just 1qt egg nog and 1 can Eagle brand Sweetened Condensed milk and 1 tsp vanilla. You can add extra nutmeg too if you want.

Churn up in ice cream machine and enjoy!!

YUMMY!!
Mrs. Salty
Seaman Briner

Postby Sharona » Fri Dec 24, 2010 7:44 pm

Egg Nog Bread

It's just a standard bread-machine white bread recipe using eggnog in lieu of some of the water, eggs, sugar, etc.

450gms white bread flour
~10oz eggnog
2 teaspoons yeast
1.5 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon sugar (I prefer honey or dark sugar in this case)
generous pinch of ginger, nutmeg
up to 1/4tsp allspice and/or nutmeg

spicing is very much a "to your taste" deal, sometimes we've gone up to 1/2 tsp

Usually we end up having to add another tablespoon or four to the mix to get the proper texture. Use real dairy eggnog, the canned crap doesn't work well.

This works very well for stuff like ...
toasting then slathering with honey butter & sprinkling cinnamon sugar on top ...
sliced for french toast (trying using eggnog as the dunking, too)
if you cut back the cinnamon/allspice, it works well as a soup dunking bread, and
bread cubes/crumbs for stuffing where a sweet-style bread would work
Sharona
Captain Briner

Postby Parrothead » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:18 pm

Not quite sure if this is on topic, but I made this on Christmas and it was a big hit. The rum & bourbon doesn't quite bake out!

'Egg Nog' Cheesecake

Heat oven to 450F, place cake pan of hot water in oven on next to bottom rack while heating.

1 package Honey Graham crackers
1 stick butter, melted
1/2t Ground Cinnamon
Fresh grated nutmeg
Pinch kosher salt

Obliterate the above into a crust like consistency in the food processor, pat into a springform pan (I line the bottom of the pan with parchment so it doesn't get ruined when cutting). Wrap foil around the bottom.

Four 8oz packages Cream Cheese, room temperature (I use the Neufchatel variety - works fine)
3 eggs
1 egg yolk
1c sugar
1/4c AP flour
1/2t Ground Cinnamon
Fresh grated nutmeg (maybe 1/2t)
1/2t Kosher Salt
1/2T Vanilla Extract
3T Bourbon (no Canadian or Scotch!)
3T Rum (light or dark, your call)

Beat cream cheese until uniform, add eggs one at a time. Add egg yolk and sugar, beat until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and beat (slow speed!) until smooth. Pour into springform pan and grate a bit more nutmeg on top.

Put springform pan on rack above water pan. Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Turn oven down to 300 degrees and bake 50-60 minutes more or until center is set.

Remove from oven and cool 1 hour in springform pan; loosen edges and cool in refrigerator 2 hours or until cool. Serve with fresh whipped cream that has some fresh grated nutmeg in it (and some bourbon if you're feeling adventurous).
"If our lives were that simple we'd live in the past..."
Parrothead
Admiral Briner

Postby Chef Mongo » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:45 pm

This, other than drunk straight or in coffee, is my favorite use for egg nog:

The Ultimate Pound Cake Recipe (Yes, it's mine)

Ingredients

1 lb. unsalted butter, softened
1 lb. granulated sugar
6 large eggs, at room temperature
3 c. cake flour, sifted
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
½ c. buttermilk
1 tsp. kosher salt
2 tbsp. eggnog

Preparation

Preheat oven to 325° Fahrenheit.

Cream butter and sugar thoroughly. While the mixer is running, grease (pure vegetable shortening is best) and flour a bundt cake pan. Use all-purpose flour for best results.

Once creaming is done, add eggs, vanilla, buttermilk, salt and egg nog. Mix thoroughly.

Add flour, ½ c. at a time, allowing each addition to mix in thoroughly. After all flour is in, mix batter 3 minutes at med-low speed, or at least 100 strokes by hand.

Spoon batter into cake pan, making sure to level off well.

Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until a bamboo skewer inserted in the deepest part of the cake comes out clean. The first time you make the cake in your oven, check after 1 hour and at 10-minute intervals afterward to be safe.

Invert pan on cooling rack and carefully lift pan off cake. It is imperative that the cake not be allowed to cool in the pan, as that will ruin the crust.

Slice and enjoy! It will keep up to a week in an airtight container.

For a special treat, warm a slice of cake and top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Dust with cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg.
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Postby eye4got » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm

Okay, this cook-off has been running for about two and a half weeks so I'm calling it.

First, I'd like to thank everyone who contributed. :clap: I have several new "keeper" recipes and picking one winner was difficult. But that's what I have to do, so the prize goes to OKBye for her EggNog Cookies. Take it away, Barb!
"I do believe that the supreme arrogance to believe that you understand the mind of the creator of the universe and are empowered to judge other humans in God's name is at the root of many of humanity's problems."
-Kinsley
eye4got
Admiral Briner

Return to Cookoffs