[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Cookoff 2.0 #38 - Grains

Cookoff 2.0 #38 - Grains

Cookoff archives

Cookoff 2.0 #38 - Grains

Postby nolafoodie » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:05 pm

Cookoff 2.0 #1 - Heat Infusion - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #2 - Tomatoes - Unknown Foodie
Cookoff 2.0 #3 - Butternut Squash - Jackiecat
Cookoff 2.0 #4 - Fennel - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #5 - Grains of Paradise - PattyE
Cookoff 2.0 #6 - Eggplant - Geimerst
Cookoff 2.0 #7 - Soup - Pixie
Cookoff 2.0 #8 - Ribs - Dan
Cookoff 2.0 #9 - Citrus fruit - Moonablaze
Cookoff 2.0 #10 - Clams - Thierry
Cookoff 2.0 #11 - Ground Beef - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #12 - Olives - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #13 - Slaw - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #14 - Peppercorns - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #15 - Yogurt - Eye4got
Cookoff 2.0 #16 - Summer Squash - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #17 - Collards - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #18 - Lemongrass - Fleur
Cookoff 2.0 #19 - Summer herbs: basil/parsley/oregano/etc. - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #20 - Tapas and party bites - lunanoir
Cookoff 2.0 #21 - Fall Squash - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #22 - Cauliflower- altonfaninmd
Cookoff 2.0 #23 - Holiday Cookies - ghenne
Cookoff 2.0 #24 - Pressure Cooker - Charlene
Cookoff 2.0 #25 - Hot'n Spicy - Slamdunkpro
Cookoff 2.0 #26 - Soy Sauce - Eye4got
Cookoff 2.0 #27 - Peanut Butter - kimberlyjoy
Cookoff 2.0 #28 - Salmon - Charlene
Cookoff 2.0 #29 - Breakfast - DanC
Cookoff 2.0 #30 - Tortillas - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #31 - Foil Grill Packets - DitsyD
Cookoff 2.0 #32 - Rice - Charlene
Cookoff 2.0 #33 - Wild Game - haleoalau
Cookoff 2.0 #34 - Sugar-Free Desserts - nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #35 - Potatoes - Kinsley
Cookoff 2.0 #36 - Egg Nog - Eye4got
Cookoff 2.0 #37 - Spices - Okbye
Cookoff 2.0 #38 - Grains - nolafoodie

Like most of the world, in light of recent events, I've got Egypt on the brain. :) Egyptians have a long history of, well, making history. As GE has often mentioned, the ancient Egyptians have greatly shaped culinary history as well. Among their many innovations was the domestication of various grain species. So, with that in mind, I propose whole grains for this cookoff: anything from wheat and barley to amaranth and quinoa -- any grain, from anywhere in the world.

Extra points for whole or minimally processed grains. :)
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Re: Cookoff 2.0 #38 - Grains

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:28 pm

I'll kick it off. How about a Bulgur Pilaf? I'm doing this from memory, but it was originally a Bittman recipe.

2 onions (preference: red)
1/4 cup olive oil
Salt
2 cups cooked chickpeas (1 can drained)
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp cinnamon
Bay leaf(s)
3 cups diced tomatoes (canned and undrained work fine)
2 cups stock or water (no canned product here for me)
1.5 cups medium or coarse bulgur wheat

Saute the onion in the oil with a good pinch of salt for at least 10 minutes - the onion should be completely softened and sweet.
Add the spices and chickpeas and stir to coat everything.
Add the bay leaf(s), tomatoes, and stock.
Simmer everything for somewhere between 5 and 30 minutes.
This is a good time to retaste and season as needed (go just a bit heavy on the salt for the bulgur).
Add the bulgur wheat and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.
Turn off the heat and if you have the time, let it sit another 15 minutes covered to completely finish absorbing the liquid.
Serve.

Notes:
That looks like between 0:45 and 1:10 time wise cooking, once the ingredients are ready.
If you want to meat it up, cubed lamb works really well instead of (or with) the chickpeas with the only difference being that the cooking time in step 4 should be on the 30 minute side so it's long enough to cook the meat. I tend to go meatless for this dish because the bulgur itself has a very meaty consistency (seriously!).
It's very nice served with a sprinkle of lemon juice at the end. And a salad to round out the meal.
Oh, almost forgot another option: I often fold in chopped or baby spinach after the bulgur has cooked but before letting it sit the additional 15 minutes.
Not all those who wander are lost. -JRR Tolkien
Matt
Lieutenant Briner

Postby Pam T » Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:16 pm

Quinoa Pesto Salad

1 cup quinoa, cooked in 2 c. water, with salt
diced cucumber
cherry tomates, cut in half
diced celery
shredded carrot
squirt of lemon
Tomato Almond Pesto;

¼ cup slivered almonds
12 oz. cherry or grape tomatoes (about 2 ½ cups)
½ cup packed basil leaves
1 medium clove garlic
1 small peppercini; stemmed, seeded, mince (about ½ t.)
Kosher salt
Pich of red pepper flake
1/3 cup EV olive oil
½ cup Parmesan cheese

Toast almonds in small skillet over medium heat, stir frequently, until pale golden and fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes, allow to cool.

Combine almonds, tomatoes, basil, garlic, peppercini, 1 – 1 ½ t. salt, pepper in food processor until smooth, about 1 minute.
Scrape down sides. With machine running, drizzle in oil. Add cheese
Man does not live by words alone,
though sometimes he has to eat them.

<")
_(()____
.. ""\\

Pam T
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Myrealana » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:12 am

I made this for lunch on the first snow day this week, since I had a house full of hungry boys. I was kind of making it up as I went along.

Beef and Barley Stew
2 lbs beef stew meat
2 TB olive oil
1TB flour
14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 cup dry red wine
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 qt beef broth or stock, no salt added
2 carrots, chopped
1 cup dry barley
1 bag frozen mixed vegetables
Salt and pepper to taste

Heat the oil in an oven proof soup pot on medium high heat.
Put the stew meat and flour in a 1 gallon zip top bag along with salt. Shake to thoroughly and evenly coat the beef with the flour. Brown the meat in the oil for 5-10 minutes or until all sides are nicely brown.
Add the onions, tomatoes (undrained), wine and herbs to the pot. Add just enough beef broth to cover the meat. Cover and place in the oven at 200 degrees for 3-4 hours, or until the meat is tender.
When the meat is tender, move the pot back to the stove top. Add the remaining broth, the barley and the carrots. Simmer on medium low for 40-50 minute or until barley is tender. Add the frozen vegetables and remove from the heat.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:57 am

Kasha: Roasted Buckwheat Kernels

Yep, I've posted this many times over the years. But I was urged to by a member, and there are new members here, and not much response to this thread.

My recipe is simply from the Wolff's kasha box & my mother, but Wolff's got politically correct & deleted the "toast the buckwheat grains in beaten egg" from the box, last time I looked.
DON'T leave that step out.

Buy bulk whole grain buckwheat kernels/groats; it's expensive & difficult to find the Wolff's brand whole grain at grocery stores; medium or fine grain is usually on the shelf. It's like the difference between steel cut & rolled or instant oats; I've only eaten anything other than the whole grain once or twice in my life, though the partially milled buckwheat might be nice for a breakfast cereal. I wouldn't use it for an entree or dinner side. One site said to wash the bulk groats & dry them overnight. They certainly would toast better that way. Buckwheat tastes good & is good for you! :mrgreen: Gluten-free too, and quite high in protein.

The buckwheat I've made in the microwave has been amazingly fluffy & tasty and very easy.

Joan Nathan, a well-known, published cook, has a recipe from her cookbook on Epicurious that calls for parsley & coriander?! and Margarine?! NO! She probably has some Mediterranean background; it's just not my style.
I can't find the basic Wolff's brand recipe on line.

No problem leaving out the pasta (bow ties), especially if you have a big meal. If the kasha is an entree or you're having a light or vegetable dinner, it's nice to have the pasta.
With or without pasta, but especially with, it makes a great breakfast or lunch all by itself.

The following works, but says to cook for up to 40 minutes. So buckwheat takes either 15 or 40 minutes. lol.
pretty, and educational, pictures too:
http://www.israelikitchen.com/just-hung ... arnishkes/

Kasha Varnishkes 6 servings

Ingredients:

1 cup of buckwheat groats
1 egg, beaten
2 cups of boiling water
2 medium onions
salt
black pepper, preferably freshly ground
oil, shmaltz, or butter to fry the onions

Method:

1. If the groats need picking over, do so. Then place them in a sieve or fine colander, and rinse them with cool running water. Let them drain thoroughly. The drier, the better, so do this first step at least 15 minutes ahead of time. Stir them up once or twice while they drain so they don’t stick together.

2. Peel and chop the onions.

3. In a medium-sized pot, put enough fat to cover the bottom. Heat it a little, then add the onions. Fry and stir them till golden. Add 1/4 tsp. salt and a few grinds of pepper to the onions, then remove them from the pot and put them aside. Ensure that there is still enough fat to cover the bottom of the pot; add more if necessary.

4. Boil the water. Keep it hot nearby.

5. Beat the egg in a medium-sized bowl. Add the washed, drained kasha to it and mix very well with a wooden spoon.

6. Heat the pot, with its fat, again. Add the kasha/egg mixture to it, and stir with a wooden spoon. The kasha will dry out and the egg will coat each grain. Keep frying and stirring, scraping up any layer of egg that may form on the bottom of the pot. This may take 5 minutes. [or more]

7. When each grain of kasha is separate and dry and a nutty aroma goes up from the pot, add 1 tsp. salt, a little more pepper, and the boiling water. Be careful: it will boil up and splutter.

8. Stir everything back down, cover the pot tightly, and steam the grains over the lowest possible flame for 30-40 minutes. [OR LESS.}
Refrain from uncovering the pot: you need that head of steam in there. When the kasha is done, the water should be absorbed. Test with a fork. A spoon will mash the grains and you will get a stodgy mass instead of the desired light, separate grains.

9. Stir the fried onions into the kasha. Fluff it all up with a fork. Cover the pot again and leave it alone for a few minutes.

10. Meantime, cook two handfuls of bowtie noodles in boiling salted water till tender. Stir them into the potful of prepared kasha. Taste for salt and pepper and serve.

Kasha can be made a day ahead of time and loses nothing by re-heating.
Super simple Bittman/NY Times recipe that leaves out the toasting. [He got mail for skipping that, as he deserved. I skipped that step when I made it in the nuker -- and it sure was better than frozen food or some other shortcut. But I wasn't publishing my lazy shortcut.]

Kasha Varnishkes
Time: 30 minutes

2 cups chopped onions, or more
1/2 cup rendered chicken fat or olive oil [or butter]
3/4 cup kasha (buckwheat groats)
Salt and ground black pepper
1/2 pound farfalle (bow-tie) or other noodles.

1. Put onions in a large skillet with a lid over medium heat. Cover skillet and cook for about 10 minutes, until onion is dry and almost sticking to pan. Add fat or oil, raise heat to medium high and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is nicely browned, at least 10 minutes or so longer.

2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. In a separate, medium saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil, stir in the kasha and about a teaspoon of salt. Cover and simmer until kasha is soft and fluffy, about 15 minutes. Let stand, off heat and covered.

3. Salt the large pot of boiling water and cook noodles until tender but still firm. Drain and combine with the onions and kasha, adding more fat or oil if you like. Season with salt and lots of pepper and serve immediately.

Yield: 4 servings.
Chowhound thread is kind of fun too.
http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/335019
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby nolafoodie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:36 pm

It's been two weeks, so, last call, folks!
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby Charlene » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:45 pm

Rina’s Quinoa Salad

1 c Quinoa (Rina buys it in small bags from Boliva from Natureworks – this one you don’t have to rinse but once, but other types you should rinse 3 times in a thin colander and make sure to rub them between your hands to remove the bitter outer coating.)
2 cups Chicken Stock or other liquid

Cook above together like rice, bring liquid to boil, stir, cover, simmer 10 minutes,
fluff with fork.

Diced onion
“ celery
“ red pepper
“ yellow pepper
Cilantro
Parlsey
Ground black pepper
Lemon Juice
Olive oil
Peas
A touch of Italian dressing.

Mix together and chill.

Charlene
~lifedramatic~

"An optimist is someone who goes after Moby Dick in a rowboat and brings the tartar sauce."
~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Charlene » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:46 pm

Taboule (Tabbouleh) Salad

1c cracked wheat soaked in 1c water. Add 1/2c fresh squeezed lemon juice. 1 clove garlic, minced. 1/3c olive oil. 1 heaping T dried mint. Handful of chopped parsley. 1c shredded carrot. 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced. 1 small tomato, seeded & diced. Chopped scallion to taste. 1/2c green pepper diced small. Mix all together and add salt and pepper to taste. Let sit for at least an hour. It is much better the next day.

Charlene
~lifedramatic~

"An optimist is someone who goes after Moby Dick in a rowboat and brings the tartar sauce."
~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Charlene » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:46 pm

2 cups all purpose flour*
1/2 cup oat bran, wheat germ or flax seed meal
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp olive or canola oil
3-5 mashed ripe bananas
1/3 cup milk or soymilk
1 egg or 1/4 cup egg substitute

* If using self rising flour, omit baking powder and salt

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease bottom only of 2 small or 1 large loaf pan. Mix all ingredients, beat 30 seconds. Pour into pan(s). Bake until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean; 9" loaf pan 55 to 65 min., 8" loaves 55 to 60 min. Cool slightly and remove from pan. Cool completely before slicing. To store, wrap and refrigerate no longer than 1 week.

Charlene
~lifedramatic~

~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:01 pm

Wow, what great recipes! Can I go all Dodo on you and say everyone has won and all must have prizes? :)

But in the end, there can be only one. And I'm such a sucker for fresh tomatoes and basil, so...

Take it away, Pam T! :D
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby Pam T » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:17 pm

Thank you! Thank you!

The recipe is a big hit at group picnics.
I have many friends who eat gluten-free and they love it.
Leave out the Parm and it is dairy-free.

Next time, I want to make it with fried garbanzo beans, maybe a bit of shredded cabbage.
Man does not live by words alone,
though sometimes he has to eat them.

<")
_(()____
.. ""\\

Pam T
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:21 pm

So, is there going to be a new cookoff?

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Return to Cookoffs