[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - Cookoff 2.0 #41 - Fresh Fruit

Cookoff 2.0 #41 - Fresh Fruit

Cookoff archives

Cookoff 2.0 #41 - Fresh Fruit

Postby okbye » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:31 am

Cookoff 2.0 #1 - Heat Infusion - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #2 - Tomatoes - Unknown Foodie
Cookoff 2.0 #3 - Butternut Squash - Jackiecat
Cookoff 2.0 #4 - Fennel - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #5 - Grains of Paradise - PattyE
Cookoff 2.0 #6 - Eggplant - Geimerst
Cookoff 2.0 #7 - Soup - Pixie
Cookoff 2.0 #8 - Ribs - Dan
Cookoff 2.0 #9 - Citrus fruit - Moonablaze
Cookoff 2.0 #10 - Clams - Thierry
Cookoff 2.0 #11 - Ground Beef - Parrothead
Cookoff 2.0 #12 - Olives - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #13 - Slaw - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #14 - Peppercorns - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #15 - Yogurt - Eye4got
Cookoff 2.0 #16 - Summer Squash - Nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #17 - Collards - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #18 - Lemongrass - Fleur
Cookoff 2.0 #19 - Summer herbs: basil/parsley/oregano/etc. - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #20 - Tapas and party bites - lunanoir
Cookoff 2.0 #21 - Fall Squash - ajkdvm
Cookoff 2.0 #22 - Cauliflower- altonfaninmd
Cookoff 2.0 #23 - Holiday Cookies - ghenne
Cookoff 2.0 #24 - Pressure Cooker - Charlene
Cookoff 2.0 #25 - Hot'n Spicy - Slamdunkpro
Cookoff 2.0 #26 - Soy Sauce - Eye4got
Cookoff 2.0 #27 - Peanut Butter - kimberlyjoy
Cookoff 2.0 #28 - Salmon - Charlene
Cookoff 2.0 #29 - Breakfast - DanC
Cookoff 2.0 #30 - Tortillas - Grovite
Cookoff 2.0 #31 - Foil Grill Packets - DitsyD
Cookoff 2.0 #32 - Rice - Charlene
Cookoff 2.0 #33 - Wild Game - haleoalau
Cookoff 2.0 #34 - Sugar-Free Desserts - nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #35 - Potatoes - Kinsley
Cookoff 2.0 #36 - Egg Nog - Eye4got
Cookoff 2.0 #37 - Spices - Okbye
Cookoff 2.0 #38 - Grains - nolafoodie
Cookoff 2.0 #39 - Cucumbers - Pam T
Cookoff 2.0 #40 - Asparagus - Charlene
Cookoff 2.0 #41 - Fresh Fruit - Okbye

I'm starting to see some decent fruit in the store - peaches, cherries, berries, pears.....What are we going to do with it?
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Re: Cookoff 2.0 #41 - Fresh Fruit

Postby Charlene » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:23 pm

One of my very favorite ways to prepare fresh fruit. It's beautiful in a glass dish as a centerpiece. I usually have it on the table as an Easter centerpiece. It's definitely better the next day :)

Fresh Fruit with Ginger
From CookWise

Orange slices pressed against a clear glass container alternate in rows with strawberries
to create a dramatic, alluring dish. Chunks of melon and grapes fill the center, and the top
is blanketed with red strawberries. Fresh ginger makes cold fruit even more refreshing. I
have had guests stand by the bowl eating and replenishing their plate several times. This
dish needs to be PREPARED A DAY AHEAD FOR GREATEST FLAVOR.

What this Recipe Shows
A little added sugar enhances the taste of fruit that is not fully ripe.
The slight bite of ginger adds a crisp, fresh taste.

Makes 10 servings

2 1/2- to 3-inch piece fresh ginger
1 cup water, boiling
2 cups water at tap temperature
2 cups sugar (see Note)
6 navel oranges, peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
1 ripe cantaloupe, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 ripe honeydew, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 bunch red flame seedless grapes (about 1 pound)
1 quart strawberries
12 slices candied ginger, finely chopped

1. Process the fresh ginger to a fine mince in a food processor with the steel
knife. Place the minced ginger in a small bowl and add 1 cup of boiling water. Let stand
for 30 minutes.

2. Heat 1 cup of water and 2 cups sugar in a small saucepan on the stove or in a
glass bowl in the microwave until the sugar dissolves. Stir in 1 more cup of cold water.
Strain the liquid from the ginger water into the sugar water. Press the ginger against the
strainer to squeeze out all flavored liquid. Discard the ginger. Place the ginger-sugar
water in the refrigerator to chill well.

3. Use a tall clear glass bowl (a clear wine cooler is perfect) and press the
orange slices against the glass in a row around the bottom. Put the cantaloupe and
honeydew chunks and grapes in the center to hold the orange slices against the glass.
Fill to the top of the orange slices. On the top of the orange slices, arrange a row of
strawberries against the glass. Again, place melon chunks in the center to hold the
strawberries against the side. Sprinkle on about 1/4 of the candied ginger. Arrange
another layer of orange slices against the glass above the row of strawberries and fill the
center with melon and grapes. Sprinkle with 1/4 of the candied ginger. Continue layering
until the container is filled. Cover the entire top with strawberries packed close to each
other and sprinkle with any remaining candied ginger. Pour the cold ginger-sugar water
over fruit. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight and until ready to serve.

Note
This can be prepared with 3 packets of artificial sweetener instead of the sugar.

Charlene9
~lifedramatic~

"An optimist is someone who goes after Moby Dick in a rowboat and brings the tartar sauce."
~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Charlene » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:32 pm

FRUIT PIZZA

1 package (17 ounces) ready-to-slice sugar cookie dough roll
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup fresh strawberries, halved
2 small bananas, sliced
1 medium peach peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 cup halved seedless green grapes
1/2 medium apple, thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh blueberries
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup orange marmalade

Line a 12" pizza pan with foil allowing foil to overlap rim of pan. Slice cookie dough into 1/8" slices. Arrange dough slices in circular pattern in pan starting at outer edge of pan and overlapping slices at center. Bake at 325o F for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely. Combine cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread mixture over cooled cookie crust. Arrange fruit over top as desired. Combine marmalade and water. Spoon evenly over fruit. Chill. Before serving, transfer pizza to serving platter. Suggested fruit may be substituted with fruit of your choice. You may also use canned pie filling (cherry, strawberry, etc.)

Yield: 6 - 8 servings.

Charlene
~lifedramatic~

"An optimist is someone who goes after Moby Dick in a rowboat and brings the tartar sauce."
~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Charlene » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:34 pm

Strawberry Appetizer

Whole fresh strawberries, rinsed and dried
Sour cream
Light brown sugar

Set out strawberries with a bowl each of the sour cream and the sugar. Have guests dip strawberries in sour cream, then in sugar.

Very good!

Charlene
~lifedramatic~

~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Charlene » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:43 pm

THAI COCONUT BANANAS by Steven Raichlen

Method: Direct Grilling
Advance
Preparation: The caramel sauce can be prepared up to 24 hours ahead.
Category: Vegetarian

Ingredients:
For the coconut-caramel sauce:
1/2-cup palm sugar or light brown sugar
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
8 apple bananas or 4 conventional bananas

Other Items Needed:
flat bamboo skewers

Directions:
Coconut caramel version # 1:
Make the coconut-caramel sauce. Combine the palm sugar and coconut milk in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking to dissolve the sugar. Briskly simmer the mixture until thick, golden, and very flavorful, about 5 minutes, whisking often. Remove the pan from the heat and let the mixture cool to room temperature. Place the sauce in a deep bowl. The caramel sauce can be prepared ahead.

Coconut caramel version # 2:
Place the sugar in a heavy pan over medium-high heat. Cook until the sugar melts, turns golden brown, becomes very fragrant, and starts to smoke, 3 to 5 minutes. Swirl the pan so the sugar cooks evenly, but do not stir. Don't let it burn. As soon as the sugar browns, remove the pan from heat and add the coconut milk. Stand back-the mixture will hiss and sputter like Mount Vesuvius. Return the mixture to the heat and simmer, whisking until the sugar is completely dissolved. Let cool to room temperature. Place the sauce in a deep bowl. The caramel sauce can be prepared ahead.

To finish grilling the bananas:
Set up your grill for direct grilling and preheat to high. Brush and oil the grill grate.
Peel the bananas and skewer through one end (if desired). Grill until lightly browned and partially cooked, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Dip each banana in caramel sauce (that's where the skewer comes in handy) or brush the banana on all sides using a basting brush, and return it to the grill. Continue grilling until the banana is darkly browned and sizzling, another 1 to 3 minutes per side more. Transfer the bananas to a platter or bowls. Spoon the remaining sauce on top and serve at once.

Note: The bananas used for grilling in Thailand tend to be harder and starchier than their North American counterparts. So grill masters, use a two-step grilling processes, partially flattening the bananas with a heavy weight half way through. This helps them grill more evenly. To do this, transfer the bananas to a cutting board after the first 1 to 2 minutes grilling. Lightly flatten with a scalloppine pounder or the side of a heavy cleaver. Dip each banana in the coconut-caramel sauce (or brush on both sides with coconut-caramel sauce) and return to the grill. Continue grilling the bananas until golden brown and cooked through, another 1 to 3 minutes per side. (Use a bamboo skewer to test for doneness-it should easily pierce the banana.)

Charlene
~lifedramatic~

~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Charlene » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:45 pm

Banana Freezer Pops

Ingredients:
2 ripe medium bananas
1 can (6 oz) frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed.
¼ cup of water
1 T honey
1 tsp vanilla
8 (3 oz) paper or plastic cups
8 wooden sticks

Method:
Peel bananas, break into chunks. Place in food processor or blender container. Add orange juice, water, honey and vanilla, process until smooth. Pour banana mixture evenly into cups. Cover top of each cup with small piece of aluminum foil. Insert wooden stick through center of foil into banana mixture. Place cups on tray; freeze until firm, about 3 hours. To serve, remove foil, tear off paper cups (or slide out of plastic cups)

Charlene
~lifedramatic~

~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Gipper » Tue May 03, 2011 9:09 pm

"Lovely Beverage"

1.5 L vodka
2 cups watermelon, in small chunks.

Put the watermelon in the vodka. Store in a cool place for about two weeks. Drink. Repeat.
Gipper
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Pixietoes » Thu May 12, 2011 8:15 am

Gipper wrote:"Lovely Beverage"

1.5 L vodka
2 cups watermelon, in small chunks.

Put the watermelon in the vodka. Store in a cool place for about two weeks. Drink. Repeat.

That's almost exactly backwards of how we used to do it. Take a good size watermelon, cut off the top quarter of the melon, reserve the cap. Using a long handled wooden spoon make holes throughout the flesh of the melon trying to direct the holes such that they will reach through the whole melon. Fill the holes with vodka, replace the cap and refrigerate overnight. The following day, cut the melon into wedges and serve. Nothing better at a hot afternoon party than cold soused watermelon.
“...If you can make a girl laugh - you can make her do anything...” Marilyn Monroe
Pixietoes
Mom

Postby Jules » Thu May 12, 2011 10:41 am

Yup - we'd plug watermelons for beach parties just like the way Pixietoes described. Oh, and we'd "rum" pineapples, too, using the same method.
I'm impressed ... and happy. Not "surprised" ... but happy.
I AM Queen of the Jammed!
Jules
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Party Flavor » Thu May 19, 2011 9:48 am

A couple years ago, Jules and I had a great flatbread at one of our favorite restaurants... aged gouda with tasso ham, nectarines, and rosemary. We made one on the grill last year and had enough dough left to play with our own recipe. We did robiola cheese (which may be hard to find, but you can substitute a mixture of ricotta and mascarpone) with cracked black pepper, baby spinach, strawberries, cooked bacon, and a drizzle of reduced balsamic. It was pretty amazing. The only thing I'd do differently is to put the strawberries on after grilling it. They gave off a bit too much juice.

An opinionated non-authority, petit four lover, and backward telescope aficionado

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

When a chef tells me he is cooking with his grandmother's recipe, I always wonder why. Did talent skip the past two generations?
Party Flavor
Admiral Briner

Postby ghenne » Thu May 19, 2011 10:04 am

Crunchy Apple & Grape Salad in bowl by firefly64, on Flickr

This is one salad I make all the time.

Crunchy Apple & Grape Salad
1 cup low fat vanilla yogurt
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup mayonnaise
juice from 1/2 a lemon
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon

2 granny smith apples, cored and diced
2 red delicious apples, cored and diced (I used Gala, you can use any kind you like)
1 pear, cored and diced
1 stalk celery, diced
½ cup slivered almonds
½ cup walnuts, chopped
2 cups seedless grapes, halved

Mix all the dressing ingredients together in a medium size bowl. Stick this in the fridge while you make the salad.

Once you have everything chopped up, pour the dressing over and stir gently to coat.

Refrigerate any leftovers.
"My religion is kindness." ~Dalai Lama ~
ghenne
Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Tue May 24, 2011 9:46 am

Last call - any more?
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby okbye » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:47 am

Well, I think the coconut bananas would have won because they sound awesome and I know where to get S. American bananas but some bastard stole my grill so I couldn't try it. :x Instead I will Pick Lisa's fruit salad because I was in Subway and they had a new similar chicken salad with grapes and apples and stuff so I figured the recipe would make a good sandwich with some chicken added and it did (cut the sugar back a bit though). :o

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Return to Cookoffs