[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - 4/30/10 - WWYO - Miss Shirley's

4/30/10 - WWYO - Miss Shirley's

Daily Question of the Day

Moderator: okbye

4/30/10 - WWYO - Miss Shirley's

Postby okbye » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:02 am

Today's WWYO is from PF and serves breakfast and lunch menus all day.

http://www.missshirleys.com/menu/
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Re: 4/30/10 - WWYO - Miss Shirley's

Postby Jules » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:49 am

A cone of sweet potato fries while I wait for ...
Crab & Fried Green Tomato Eggs Benedict and ...
whatever their "beverage of the day/week" is. (Miss Shirley's makes drink combos that make ya' wanna stay there alllll day.)
I'm impressed ... and happy. Not "surprised" ... but happy.
I AM Queen of the Jammed!
Jules
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Tena » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:08 am

That place is soooo good.
I'd have the Crab Cristo again
And coconut cream stuffed french toast
and pumkin cheesecake stuffed french toast
and those potato fries

I just ate breakfast and am hungry again
*drool*
When your wrong, your wrong.

Dammit I'm mad is the same if you spell it backwards.
(And you totally just checked.)

Worry is a misuse of the imagination.
~Dan Zadra~
Tena
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Kinsley » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:19 am

Crab for breakfast! :shock: :D This will take several visits, but it's only 5 miles from my house.
I can be there in less than 10 minutes on Sunday morning. I'll start with:

Miss Pomegranate Mimosa - Champagne & Pomegranate Juice
and a
Seasonal Fruit Medley
then either
The Mac Crabby - 5 Ounces of Jumbo Lump Crab Meat Mac & Cheese with a Blend of Four Cheeses
or
Crab & Fried Green Tomato Eggs Benedict - Poached Eggs, Jumbo Lump Crab Meat & Corn Hash
with Roasted Red Pepper Hollandaise Sauce

or
Crab Cristo Market Price - Jumbo Lump Crabmeat, Smoked Ham & Swiss Cheese, sandwiched in
Savory French Toast, Deep-Fried until Crispy, drizzled with Creamy Honey Mustard & Citrus Aioli,
Dusted with Powdered Sugar & Old Bay

or
The Seafood Trio Omelet - Jumbo Lump Crab, Shrimp, Lobster & Cheddar, Dusted with Old Bay;
with Seasonal Fruit & a Benne Seed Biscuit

or
Maryland Omelet - Jumbo Lump Crab, Tomato and Swiss Cheese, Dusted with Old Bay;
with Savory Grits made with Bacon & a Benne Seed Biscuit

or
The Shore Thing Omelet - Smoked Ham, Jumbo Lump Crab, Shrimp & Swiss, Dusted with Old Bay;
with Shredded Potato & Onion Hash Browns & a Benne Seed Biscuit

The lunch menu is going to require extensive study. I'll be back later. :wink:
Last edited by Kinsley on Sun May 02, 2010 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Artist formerly known as BigCrab

"They were so preoccupied with what they could do, that they didn't
think about whether they should.''
- Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park .

"You can't always get what you want; but if you try sometimes,
you just might find, you get what you need."
- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Postby Jules » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:28 am

Kins - their roasted red pepper hollandaise is more kinds of "yum" than I know how to express.
I'm impressed ... and happy. Not "surprised" ... but happy.
I AM Queen of the Jammed!
Jules
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby n8urebabe » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:53 am

OMG, it is a good thing that I don't live too close to this place, so many things look good.
I don't have a decent breakfast place within 30 miles of here. :x

Broiled Grapefruit Brulee

Crab & Fried Green Tomato Eggs Benedict
Poached Eggs, Jumbo Lump Crab Meat & Corn Hash with Roasted Red Pepper Hollandaise Sauce

Savory Grits $4.99
Heavy Cream, Mascarpone Cheese, Chives, Applewood-Smoked Bacon & Tomatoes

And then I'd have to go try some lunch after I recovered. :D
Dawn
Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Harriet Van Horne

The act of giving is more important than the merit of the receiver.

Luke: I'll bring back brownies.
Lorelai: Ooh, the pouting has left the building.

n8urebabe
Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:25 pm

Lawdy, everything looks so good!!

The appetizer would be a toss-up between:

Fried Green Tomatoes (5); Lemon-Herb Aioli

A Cone of Sweet Potato Fries; Mango Ketchup and Citrus Aioli

Fried Oysters, Old Bay Remoulade OR

Savory Grits, Heavy Cream, Mascarpone Cheese, Chives, Applewood-Smoked Bacon & Tomatoes

Breakfast Entree (almost as difficult)

Smoked Salmon Benedict; Poached Eggs & Smoked Salmon on Potato Cakes with Asparagus, Chive Hollandaise Sauce & Sour Cream
OR
Get Your Grits On; Jumbo Blackened Shrimp on Fried Green Tomatoes, Savory Grits with Bacon & Roasted Corn Emulsion

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Slamdunkpro » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:37 pm

Horseradish Caesar $9.99
Hearts of Romaine, Diced Tomato, Shaved Parmesan & Black Pepper Croutons, Tossed with Creamy Horseradish Caesar Dressing

Bistro Beef Sandwich $15.99
Grilled Peppercorn Beef Filet, Bleu Cheese Crumbles, Grilled Vidalia Onions, Peppadews, Mixed Greens & Tomato on Ciabatta
No Clicky Blind Linky's!
There is no problem that can’t be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order
I've been kissed by Pixie!
Slamdunkpro
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Sat May 01, 2010 4:23 am

Oh yeah! The soggy english muffin is SO unnecessary. I often skip it or have it on the side. Definitely this:
Smoked Salmon Benedict
Poached Eggs & Smoked Salmon on Potato Cakes with Asparagus, Chive Hollandaise Sauce & Sour Cream

and
Sweet Corn Cake Eggs Benedict
also sounds great.

Or, being the grazer that I am:

Fried Green Tomatoes
Sweet Corn Cakes w/Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Relish
Savory Grits w/Heavy Cream, Mascarpone Cheese, Chives, Applewood-Smoked Bacon & Tomatoes
and
Chesapeake Deviled Eggs, Four Deviled Egg Halves with Jumbo Lump Crabmeat, Diced Tomato, Chives & a Sprinkle of Old Bay
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby sadiedog » Sat May 01, 2010 10:51 am

:o

Yes please.

Miss Pomegranate Mimosa
or
Peppermint Spiked Hot Chocolate

Get Your Grits On
Jumbo Blackened Shrimp on Fried Green Tomatoes, Savory Grits with Bacon & Roasted Corn Emulsion

Chesapeake Deviled Eggs
Four Deviled Egg Halves with Jumbo Lump Crabmeat, Diced Tomato, Chives & a Sprinkle of Old Bay
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby honeycomb » Sun May 02, 2010 5:40 pm

I'm curious to try Scrapple (one old friend said "like the Pennsylvania Dutch version of Spam, sort of"), maybe as an appetizer along with a beverage, to share with other curious folks...

But first (almost an appetizer itself! Tomato juice usually scares me but if you have enough spice and alcohol I'll try it):
Spicy Shirley $8.99
Shirley's version of a Bloody Mary as sassy as the lady herself with Stoli Citrus, Green Tomato Slice, Pickled Okra, Peppers, Jalapenos, Celery, Peppadew, Lemon, Lime with an Old Bay Rim With Lump Crab Garni $11.99

Then, I'm torn between these two:
Get Your Grits On $17.99
Jumbo Blackened Shrimp on Fried Green Tomatoes, Savory Grits with Bacon & Roasted Corn Emulsion

Crab Cristo, Market Price
Jumbo Lump Crabmeat, Smoked Ham & Swiss Cheese, sandwiched in Savory French Toast, Deep-Fried until Crispy, drizzled with Creamy Honey Mustard & Citrus Aioli, Dusted with Powdered Sugar & Old Bay

If my kiddos were along I'd get them:

Breakfast Banana Split $9.99
Vanilla Yogurt with a Whole Banana, Strawberry Slices & Pineapple Topped with Housemade Granola with Nuts, Dusted with Powdered Sugar

and

Funky Monkey Bread $9.99
Cinnamon-scented pull-apart with bananas, chocolate & pecans

Looks delicious, PF and other Shirley-adoring briners...brainstorming reasons to get to Baltimore now...
Never eat more than you can lift. --Miss Piggy

Pleasant words are a honeycomb; sweetness to the soul and healing to the bones.
honeycomb
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Kinsley » Sun May 02, 2010 7:13 pm

I was planning to there for lunch today, but my back was uncooperative.
I can be there in less than 10 minutes on Sunday morning. I'll start with:

Miss Shirley's Traditional - Vegetable Crab Soup (Bowl)
or (maybe and)
Chesapeake Deviled Eggs - Four Deviled Egg Halves with Jumbo Lump Crabmeat, Diced Tomato, Chives &
a Sprinkle of Old Bay

then
Miss Shirley's Bubba Shrimp Melt - Shrimp Salad, Served Open-Faced on Sourdough Toast with Tomato &
White Cheddar Cheese, Dusted with Old Bay

or
Cold Spring Crab Cake - Broiled Jumbo Lump Crab Cake, Bibb Lettuce, Red & Yellow Tomatoes & Old Bay
Remoulade on a Toasted Potato Roll, Dusted with Old Bay

or
Chesapeake Club - Crab Cake, Shrimp Salad, Bibb Lettuce Applewood Smoked Bacon, Red & Yellow Tomatoes,
Avocado, Old Bay Remoulade on Sourdough Toast, Dusted with Old Bay

or
Pratt Street Cheeseburger - Eight Ounces of Lean Ground Beef with Bibb Lettuce, Red & Yellow Tomato,
Red Onion & Your Choice of Cheese on Onion Roll w/a Fried or Sunny Side Up Egg on top and Applewood
Smoked Bacon)

That's the most tantalizing menu I've seen in a long while. I suspect I'm going to become a
weekend regular. It's a shame they don't serve dinner. I may have to start a ground roots movement :wink:

- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Postby Party Flavor » Sun May 02, 2010 8:01 pm

honeycomb wrote:I'm curious to try Scrapple (one old friend said "like the Pennsylvania Dutch version of Spam, sort of"), maybe as an appetizer along with a beverage, to share with other curious folks...\

I think of it as the bastard child of sausage and cornbread. Non-locals seem to be split on it. Jules and Tena seemed to like it; Dan did not (although, to be honest, I had it at the same place he did and it was very poorly cooked).

Kinsley wrote:Chesapeake Club - Crab Cake, Shrimp Salad, Bibb Lettuce Applewood Smoked Bacon, Red & Yellow Tomatoes,
Avocado, Old Bay Remoulade on Sourdough Toast, Dusted with Old Bay

Around this time last year, they had this:

Cape Cod Club
Layers of Sliced Lobster, Applewood-Smoked Bacon, Avocado, Bibb Lettuce, Tomato & Old Bay Remoulade on Grilled Sourdough & Pumpernickel

That was pretty awesome.

When I went back about two months later, the Cape Cod Club was gone, so I tried the Chesapeake. It was really good, too, but I struggled to keep it from falling apart.

I had the Oysters Shirley-feller when Jules and I took Tena there. I'll probably try this the next time:

Sassy Smithfield Sammich $13.99
Smithfield Ham, Benne Seed Fried Boneless Chicken Piece, Fried Egg & White Cheddar Between Two Waffles
An opinionated non-authority, petit four lover, and backward telescope aficionado

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

When a chef tells me he is cooking with his grandmother's recipe, I always wonder why. Did talent skip the past two generations?
Party Flavor
Admiral Briner

Postby Kinsley » Sun May 02, 2010 8:05 pm

honeycomb wrote:I'm curious to try Scrapple (one old friend said "like the Pennsylvania Dutch
version of Spam, sort of"), maybe as an appetizer along with a beverage, to
share with other curious folks.

Wiki wrote:Scrapple is typically made of hog offal, such as the head, heart, liver, and
other scraps, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head),
to make a broth. Once cooked, bones and fat are discarded, the meat is reserved,
and (dry) cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush. The meat, finely minced,
is returned to the pot and seasonings, typically sage, thyme, savory, black pepper,
and others, are added. The mush is formed into loaves and allowed to cool thoroughly
until set. The proportions and seasoning are very much a matter of the region and the
cook's taste.

Scrapple is typically cut into quarter-inch to three-quarter-inch slices, and pan-fried
until browned to form a crust. It is sometimes first coated with flour. It may be fried
in butter or oil and is sometimes deep-fried.

Scrapple is usually eaten as a breakfast food, and can be served plain or with apple
butter, ketchup, jelly, maple syrup, honey, or even mustard and accompanied by eggs,
potatoes, or pancakes. In some regions, such as New England, scrapple is mixed with
scrambled eggs and served with toast. In the Philadelphia area, scrapple is sometimes
fried and then mashed with fried eggs, horseradish and ketchup

It's not nearly as bad as that makes it sound. Scrapple is one of the few liver dishes
that I enjoy. I like it much better than spam; it's not so salty. I slice it about 1/2 thick,
fry it very crisp in a teflon pan without oil. Serve with eggs, toast and a bit of ketchup. :wink:

- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Postby okbye » Sun May 02, 2010 8:25 pm

I've never had scrapple but it looks like unwrapped haggis. I saw some on a plate and it didn't look loaf-like, it looked like it had been chunked up. Or chucked up :lol: :lol:
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby Butterbean » Sun May 02, 2010 8:40 pm

There's a diner in Newark that I swear deep-fries scrapple. It's great, crispy on all sides, soft on the inside; probably a very good product to begin with (not all scrapple is equal).

Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Party Flavor » Sun May 02, 2010 8:41 pm

okbye wrote:I've never had scrapple but it looks like unwrapped haggis. I saw some on a plate and it didn't look loaf-like, it looked like it had been chunked up. Or chucked up :lol: :lol:

I'm not sure what you saw, but scrapple on a plate looks like this...

Here's my Oysters Shirley-feller...

Jules' Crab & Fried Green Tomato Eggs Benedict...

and Tena's Crab Cristo...

An opinionated non-authority, petit four lover, and backward telescope aficionado

When a chef tells me he is cooking with his grandmother's recipe, I always wonder why. Did talent skip the past two generations?
Party Flavor
Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Sun May 02, 2010 11:01 pm

Party Flavor wrote:
okbye wrote:I've never had scrapple but it looks like unwrapped haggis. I saw some on a plate and it didn't look loaf-like, it looked like it had been chunked up. Or chucked up :lol: :lol:

This is the type of thing I saw.

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby Kinsley » Sun May 02, 2010 11:43 pm

okbye wrote:This is the type of thing I saw.

Party Flavor wrote:I'm not sure what you saw, but scrapple on a plate looks like this...

Believe Mr. Flavor. He's a scientist, and a semi-pro foodie. 8)
Properly prepared, scrapple is good stuff. :wink:

- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Postby okbye » Mon May 03, 2010 12:13 am

I'm not saying he's wrong, I'm saying someone told me that stuff was scrapple. Maybe it's a regional difference. Or maybe they were just crackheads.

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby honeycomb » Mon May 03, 2010 1:39 am

Oooo! So glad I mentioned scrapple and then we got the PF photos. "Bastard child of sausage and cornbread"--wa ha ha!

A place like Miss Shirley's makes me want to throw out my ideas about what I think I dislike and just try it all.

How was the Crab Cristo, Tena?
Never eat more than you can lift. --Miss Piggy

Pleasant words are a honeycomb; sweetness to the soul and healing to the bones.
honeycomb
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Party Flavor » Mon May 03, 2010 8:51 am

okbye wrote:
Party Flavor wrote:

This is the type of thing I saw.

Yeah, no one around here would identify that as scrapple. Save for the fancy garnish, the local stuff looks like what I posted almost without exception.

Party Flavor
Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Mon May 03, 2010 9:08 am

It certainly looks better in loaf form.

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby Butterbean » Mon May 03, 2010 6:18 pm

Bastard child of sausage and cornbread

:lol: But not exactly. Scrapple, in addition to cornmeal, has a lot of pork liver in it, as well as other pig "parts", depending on the brand, hence the name scrapple. From Wiki:

Scrapple (Pennsylvania Dutch) is traditionally a mush of pork scraps and trimmings combined with cornmeal and flour, often buckwheat flour, and spices. It is similar to pon haus, which uses only the broth from cooked meat. The mush is formed into a semi-solid congealed loaf, and slices of the scrapple are then panfried before serving. Scraps of meat left over from butchering, not used or sold elsewhere, were made into scrapple to avoid waste. Scrapple is best known as a regional American food of the Mid-Atlantic States (Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Maryland). Scrapple and Pon haus are commonly considered an ethnic food of the Pennsylvania Dutch, including the Mennonites and Amish. Scrapple is found in supermarkets throughout the region in both fresh and frozen refrigerated cases.

Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Party Flavor » Mon May 03, 2010 6:22 pm

Butterbean wrote:
Bastard child of sausage and cornbread

:lol: But not exactly. Scrapple, in addition to cornmeal, has a lot of pork liver in it, as well as other pig "parts", depending on the brand, hence the name scrapple.

In approximating the taste and texture to people who haven't had it, I've found that description to be sufficient. It wasn't meant to be a recipe.

Party Flavor
Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Mon May 03, 2010 7:04 pm

Party Flavor wrote:In approximating the taste and texture to people who haven't had it, I've found that description to be sufficient. It wasn't meant to be a recipe.

That's fine. No criticism intended. But a very similar product in the South isn't called livermush for nothing. That's all I meant. I wasn't offering a recipe.

Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Kinsley » Mon May 03, 2010 7:18 pm

Start with a menu with dozens of delectible items
and we spend half the conversation talking about
scrapple. :lol:

- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Postby Slamdunkpro » Mon May 03, 2010 7:57 pm

okbye wrote:This is the type of thing I saw.

I've seen it "hashed" like that in a few places, mostly up in the Lancaster / Reading PA area, there even used to be a breakfast place on Hanover Street in Baltimore that would hash it unless you told them not to, but by and large it's served like PF indicated.
No Clicky Blind Linky's!
There is no problem that can’t be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order
I've been kissed by Pixie!
Slamdunkpro
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby JeanC » Wed May 05, 2010 1:41 pm

First off, I would be running far away from the scrapple :D But I would start off the day with breakfast:

Shirley's Southern Sunrise Sampler
Blackened Catfish, Collard Greens with Tasso Ham, Savory Grits made with Bacon & Cornbread

or

Poached Eggs, Jumbo Lump Crab Meat & Corn Hash with Roasted Red Pepper Hollandaise Sauce

For lunch:

Fried Green Tomatoes (5) Lemon-Herb Aioli

Miss Shirley's Bubba Shrimp Melt
Shrimp Salad, Served Open-Faced on Sourdough Toast with Tomato & White Cheddar Cheese, Dusted with Old Bay
----
"Soon life will become more interesting" - Chinese fortune cookie

Jean
http://purple-ducky.com/
JeanC
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby tj » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:56 pm

Good Heavens! Keep me away!!

I have never thought of breakfast in heaven, but Miss Shirley must be serving it.

I'll try for one of each, though it may take a few years.

The bloody mary sounds like an appetizer salad and then I gotta Get My Grits ON.

This honestly looks like a place originated not only by someone who liked to cook but also liked to EAT.
tj
Admiral Briner

Return to QoTD