[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - QOTD 7/26: Lazy Days

QOTD 7/26: Lazy Days

Daily Question of the Day

Moderator: okbye

QOTD 7/26: Lazy Days

Postby Chef Mongo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:13 am

Here we are coming into the dog days of summer. The Fourth is over, the heat is on and parents are just about tapped out on both ideas and money.

Cast yourself back to these days, when you were young. When you'd hear those magical words, "Just go do something. Get out of the house for a while." or something similar from your folks on a bright summer day ... what would you do? Tell us a story!
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Re: QOTD 7/26: Lazy Days

Postby chefshawn » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:32 am

So, Mong, yo're bored and feeling uninspired, and you want us to tell you some cheap and fun ideas to have fun outside and not DIE in this heat?
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby Chef Mongo » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:52 am

Nah, I live on the Greenway so I've got plenty! There are turtles to be chased and crawdads to be hunted!
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Postby Jules » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:03 am

My sister and I really did knew better than to ever whine "there's nothing to dooooooooooooo" because there was *always* something around to occupy our energy - we were limited only by imagination. Blackberries to eat, pollywogs/frogs to find in the creek, books to read while swinging on a hammock, elaborate forts to be built, unstable bike ramps to test and rebuild, horses to ride/groom/feed, ponies and goats to hang-out with, chickens to feed/water/collect eggs from, roosters to hypnotize (or let drink rootbeer to watch them belch), baby chicks to check and assist, rocks to climb on, rabbits to hold, kittens and cats to brush and play with, dogs to run around with, cars to wash, second garages to be dug, creek rocks to paint as ladybugs for garden decor, lizards to observe ... As far removed as we were from any movie theaters, malls, or public transit, we had to come up with stuff on our own and - honestly - I don't recall ever being bored. My folks property has far fewer animals on it these days, but I could still spend hours on it and just ... take it all in.
I'm impressed ... and happy. Not "surprised" ... but happy.
I AM Queen of the Jammed!
Jules
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby tj » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:31 am

Jules, as I recall, we quickly learned not to say that there was nothing to do because Mom could always find something.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby gypsy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:00 am

I usually walked to the local library and hung out there, reading.
Breast cancer is a disease, not a marketing opportunity.
----------------------------
That Obama sticker on your car might as well say, "Yes, I'm Stupid".
Mangia e statte zitte.
gypsy
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Kinsley » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:02 am

Until I was 6, I lived in the city, in a row house.
Behind that there was an alley and then another
row of houses. There were all sorts of backyards
garages and sheds to explore. This was the early
fifties. Mothers turned their kids loose, and all
kind of kept one eye out for everyone's kids, not
just there own. The most exciting moments were
when the Ay-rabs came down the alley. Ay-rabs
were produce vendors and trash pickers with horse
drawn carts. There was one fruit seller with a white
horse named Hanah, who let me feed her apples.

Then I moved to the suburbs, in a new development.
There were houses under construction to explore,
and woods with a stream full of turtles, frogs and
snakes. Mothers turned us loose there too.

I hate the way things have changed. :cry:

The Artist formerly known as BigCrab

"They were so preoccupied with what they could do, that they didn't
think about whether they should.''
- Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park .

"You can't always get what you want; but if you try sometimes,
you just might find, you get what you need."
- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Postby Norm357 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:41 pm

I lived in the swamps of North Florida till I was 11. Fishing, hunting, camping with friends were all popular things for boys to do. Girls too I guess, but girls were icky back then. :lol:
Don't pity the rescue dog, adopt him. If he was human, he would be the one with stories to tell and books to write.

Any idiot can kill a shark. It takes a real man to catch one, kiss him on the head, and let him go.

Norm357
Admiral Briner

Postby beenie » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:54 pm

From the ages of 6-13, I lived in an apartment complex with a pool - I still had tan lines at Christmas. :lol:
I've been kissed by Pixie - for real!
beenie
Big Sister

Postby Butterbean » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:20 pm

I grew up in an apartment over a mansion that had been converted to a preschool. We had playgrounds on either side: sliding boards, jungle gyms, etc. - but no swings. Summer days, my sister & I would seek the swings in another school playground about 5 blocks away. We also learned that if you sat on a piece of waxed paper when you went down the slide, you could really go fast, and the effect lasted a few days. This was fine in the summer, but the school spoke to my parents when we did it during the school year.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby carla » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:44 pm

Love the waxed paper, Butterbean. Last I used it was as a playground fiend with SamDog; we slid down little slides together; used to go at twilight or in the dark. He weighed 90 pounds slim.

As a kid? Always had cats. Had a pet rat for a while. Had a long-term foster dog for about a year, before the horse. Had a horse for a couple of years. Before & during that it was reading and studying horse books and reading anything else. Always had books! and cats, who slept on *my* bed. In grade school summers, I'd very often wake up and reach to the top of the book pile, snuggle with cats, commence reading. We lived on a cul-de-sac and I had a bicycle. Played "polo" on a sting ray with a big branch and a lemon for hours. Had a good brother to play with and a girl friend my age up the street. Went to every horse show for about 8 hours a day while they were on. Music, even if it was Kasey Kasem's countdown, before I appreciated Hendrix. Rare but roaring fun water and/or water balloon fights, especially with my brother's friends versus me & my girlfriends. And wow, dinner at the table every night with the family! And a playground at our grade school, which was "walkable to," as was a park right below it. Sock fights with my bro from slightly diagonal bedroom doors (socks were rolled into balls.)
And Wonderful World of Disney every Sunday after hair washing. And Laugh In.
And journals & letters & books & whatever I had in my bedroom. And this is before boys... :P
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby gypsy » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:23 pm

Butterbean wrote:I grew up in an apartment over a mansion that had been converted to a preschool. We had playgrounds on either side: sliding boards, jungle gyms, etc. - but no swings. Summer days, my sister & I would seek the swings in another school playground about 5 blocks away. We also learned that if you sat on a piece of waxed paper when you went down the slide, you could really go fast, and the effect lasted a few days. This was fine in the summer, but the school spoke to my parents when we did it during the school year.

Schools can be such joy killers!! I got sternly reprimanded and made to sit in the corner for 30 minutes one day in kindergarten because I had the temerity to go down the slide head-first.
Breast cancer is a disease, not a marketing opportunity.
That Obama sticker on your car might as well say, "Yes, I'm Stupid".
Mangia e statte zitte.
gypsy
Vice Admiral Briner

Return to QoTD