[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - QOTD 8/2: Bread of life!

QOTD 8/2: Bread of life!

Daily Question of the Day

Moderator: okbye

QOTD 8/2: Bread of life!

Postby Chef Mongo » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:08 am

Thanks to an awesome local baker, I've become a real bread junkie. For most of my adult life, "bread" came from the grocery store. In the last year, I haven't bought a single loaf there. From brioche and multi-grain to tomato-basil and garlic-olive, I now have at least three different "flavors" in my fridge at any one time.

So ... what's YOUR favorite kind of bread? If you bake bread, what's your favorite to make ... share a recipe?
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Re: QOTD 8/2: Bread of life!

Postby Butterbean » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:47 am

I never met a bread I didn't like, so I can't really pick a favorite. So much depends on the application: plain with butter, toast, sammies, rolls with dinner, sopping. I have made bread in the past, and though I liked it, it would not win a prize for lightness. May have to give it another try.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby chefshawn » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:14 am

I loves me some bread. Too much, in fact, which is why I've pretty much cut it out of my diet. I'm looking forward to trying a recipe for "fat bread", which is a paleo recipe. If i recall correctly, it's composed of eggs, macadamia nuts, coconut butter, a bit of baking soda and lemon juice, and maybe some salt. I think that's about it.
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby okbye » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:38 am

I am a HUGE bread fan, give me a good loaf of bread and some tasty spread and I am happy to make it a meal. I was so unhappy when I found out bread is also crawling with sodium and I had to cut it out of my diet. I'm better now so I eat it as a treat but I still am careful with how much I eat. There aren't are real bakeries around my house but the local grocery stores usually do pretty good, one store especially. Basha's has my favorite bread - a crusty bread that is feather soft inside. Second choice would be Orowheat rye, man that's some good stuff.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby tj » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:17 am

You may find that the fluffy soft rolls are lower in salt. Salt is used to retard the growth of yeast in breadmaking. I wonder if you could manipulate that in homemade bread.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby gypsy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:19 pm

I like small baguettes sliced and dipped in olive oil and herbs. I like artisan breads with chewy crispy crusts for making Italian sandwiches (various Italian cold cuts, provolone, a bit of mayo & roasted sweet peppers). I especially love a good "Italian" loaf sliced and spread thickly with butter to accompany dinner. I love Pepperidge Farm sliced white bread for cold fresh turkey sandwiches, grilled cheese, and buttered toast with scrambled or fried eggs.And I will occasionally pull out the bread machine and make cracked wheat or garlic & herb breads when the urge strikes.

I was brought up eating a lot of bread (in Italian households, it's almost a necessity - you need to have something to slop up all that sauce!) but Jim wasn't, so we don't eat as much bread as I would like to any more. :cry:
Breast cancer is a disease, not a marketing opportunity.
----------------------------
That Obama sticker on your car might as well say, "Yes, I'm Stupid".
Mangia e statte zitte.
gypsy
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Jules » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:25 pm

Draeger's Sourdough Cheese. Heated.
If I don't make it myself, that's what I want.
(Note to self - stop by Draeger's ...)
I'm impressed ... and happy. Not "surprised" ... but happy.
I AM Queen of the Jammed!
Jules
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:13 pm

TJ, salt isn't the only source of sodium in food. In fact in baked goods it's probably secondary to the preservatives. No regular commercial breads are low sodium. There is low sodium bread made but I have not found it in my area, I've seen it on the internet so I know it exists I just can't have any :( Just like the fabled low sodium cheese and cottage cheese I know exist but aren't sold around here. I do still indulge as a treat, I just have to keep it infrequent.
I've made my own bread with out salt (or preservatives) but I'm not a good bread maker. I wasn't with salt either. Just not a skill I have developed, I should practice but honestly it bores me. Kneading is not what I consider fun.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby tj » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:48 pm

I take it that, like me, you are not lucky enough to have KitchenAid mixer.

I jones, I jones.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:23 pm

I do have one, I'm just not a bread baker. I have very little experience with yeast baking. I have a bread machine too but it's fancy and I don't know how to work it except for the mixes that it reads the bar code on and tells itself what to do.

okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby gypsy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:47 pm

okbye wrote:I do have one, I'm just not a bread baker. I have very little experience with yeast baking. I have a bread machine too but it's fancy and I don't know how to work it except for the mixes that it reads the bar code on and tells itself what to do.

Visit the local library and go to their cookbook section, they've got to have at least ONE bread machine cookbook there that gives instructions on how to make various breads without using mixes containing a lot of sodium. Or you could order one through Amazon....Here's a listing from Amazon to get you started.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... ad+machine

[Edited to preface with "Also, I think that..."] any bread recipe can be made in a bread machine. If you're not sure about the baking time, let the machine mix the ingredients and do all the kneading, then you can stop it at that point and take the dough out and bake it in the oven yourself.
Last edited by gypsy on Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Breast cancer is a disease, not a marketing opportunity.
That Obama sticker on your car might as well say, "Yes, I'm Stupid".
Mangia e statte zitte.
gypsy
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby sadiedog » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:00 pm

That oh so addictive cheese bread from the Farmer's market there in Madison.

Since we can't get that here....English muffin bread or potato bread are my two favorite breads with beer bread coming in a very close third.
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby Catherine » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:54 pm

*cry*

*goes into the corner and whimpers*
Catherine
Admiral Briner

Postby tj » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:39 pm

I can identify, Catherine. Though for different reasons, I should stay away from from such starchy delights. These days, I look for the highest fiber stuff available and then get frustrated trying not to eat it.

Once upon a time in the great Midwest, I was a kid who loved rough wheat toast well buttered and dripping with honey from Mr. Hale's hives. No more. Sigh.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:06 am

Catherine wrote:*cry*

*goes into the corner and whimpers*

Here's a tissue and a basket of pao de queijo. :)

Yeah, I like bread way, way too much for my own good, and too much to choose a favorite.
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Return to QoTD