[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - QOTD 8/10: I've got to cook WHAT?

QOTD 8/10: I've got to cook WHAT?

Daily Question of the Day

Moderator: okbye

QOTD 8/10: I've got to cook WHAT?

Postby Chef Mongo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:13 am

Let's open that Closet of Horrors in your culinary subconscious, folks. Let's peer deep down, past all your foodie confidence, past your basic cooking knowledge, down to the Stephen King regions of your food mind. Pennywise is there, and he's holding a recipe ... it's using the one food or the one cooking technique that has always intimidated/flummoxed/confounded you.

What is it? Speak, and banish the evil clown!
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Re: QOTD 8/10: I've got to cook WHAT?

Postby vickatina » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:56 am

One word:

pancakes

:shhh:
"I'm not a stalker, I'm an unpaid private investigator." ;)

The GEFP Roving Reporter
vickatina
Vice Admiral Briner

Location: Well, we're living here in Allentown (actually, just a bit north)

Postby chefshawn » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:26 am

In fact, I suffered again with this just two days ago, and continued this morning, as I had the leftovers for breakfast:

In 18 years of professional cooking, I've yet to make a good squash casserole. I've tried simple dump-and-stir methods, I've tried fresh and frozen squash, I've tried scratch methods. Maybe I just don't like squash casserole?

I think my main problem is that I try to focus on the squash and nutrition of it, rather than just makin' potluck slop like I ought to. I think I may be trying to hard.

This week's batch is about as slimy as can be. I can't believe I ate more of it!
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby Myrealana » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:00 am

Two things.

Vichyssoise - I tried it on a lark once. It was disgusting. I've never cared enough to try it again.

Chocolate cake - I can NOT make a good chocolate cake from scratch. I've tried at least a dozen recipes - adjusted for high altitude and not - with no success. I've made hot chocolate soup, chocolate rocks, chocolate cardboard. Never anything I would be willing to call a cake.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Kinsley » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:23 am

Bread. :?

The Artist formerly known as BigCrab

"They were so preoccupied with what they could do, that they didn't
think about whether they should.''
- Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park .

"You can't always get what you want; but if you try sometimes,
you just might find, you get what you need."
- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Postby gypsy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:09 pm

chefshawn wrote:In fact, I suffered again with this just two days ago, and continued this morning, as I had the leftovers for breakfast:

In 18 years of professional cooking, I've yet to make a good squash casserole. I've tried simple dump-and-stir methods, I've tried fresh and frozen squash, I've tried scratch methods. Maybe I just don't like squash casserole?

I think my main problem is that I try to focus on the squash and nutrition of it, rather than just makin' potluck slop like I ought to. I think I may be trying to hard.

This week's batch is about as slimy as can be. I can't believe I ate more of it!

I have a terrific recipe for a butternut squash gratin casserole with spinach that I make almost every Thanksgiving. It uses lots of Gruyere cheese and some heavy cream and has never come out "slimy" in the least. It's yours if you want it.
Breast cancer is a disease, not a marketing opportunity.
----------------------------
That Obama sticker on your car might as well say, "Yes, I'm Stupid".
Mangia e statte zitte.
gypsy
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:36 pm

If it's that scary I just don't make it. Creme Brulee is one of the few things I will make that intimidates me. It's just so easy to get the texture wrong.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby LucyLu » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:34 pm

Red Velvet cake :lol:

Blehhhh
Lucy

~The GEFP official Ace of Cakes~
LucyLu
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby gypsy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:12 pm

LIVER.
Mangia e statte zitte.
gypsy
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Kristina » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:22 pm

I can't get hummus right. I've tried so many times. Sigh. It's not even COOKING.
". . . the people who are crazy enough to think
they can change the world are the ones who do."

The absence of flaw in beauty is itself a flaw.
-Havelock Ellis

When people say "I'm not a prude, but..." what they mean is "I am a prude, and..." -John Cleese
Kristina
Admiral Briner

Postby n8urebabe » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:23 pm

Kinsley wrote:
Bread. :?

This. It's usually edible but it's not very good. I don't know if I over knead or don't knead enough but I can't get a decent texture out of my bread. Not even with Party Flavor coaching me. :oops:
When it cools off, I'll try again. I love focaccia bread and his looks so amazing.
I can also relate to okbye's concerns about creme brulee.
Dawn
Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Harriet Van Horne

The act of giving is more important than the merit of the receiver.

Luke: I'll bring back brownies.
Lorelai: Ooh, the pouting has left the building.

n8urebabe
Admiral Briner

Postby gypsy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:03 pm

Wait, now that I think about it, I completely ruined the one time I ever attempted pesto. It came out all weird and stiff. Making pesto still scares me. :oops:
Mangia e statte zitte.
gypsy
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Catherine » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:52 pm

I don't usually have issues cooking most foods... deep frying I dislike, because you have to get rid of the oil....
Catherine
Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:46 pm

Chiles Rellenos. I have made them in the past & they are wonderful, but they are so labor intensive: roasting the poblanos, removing the skin & removing the seeds while leaving the pepper in tact is difficult enough. Then you have to stuff them with sticks of jack cheese, make a batter involving whipped egg whites, & fry them without the cheese busting out. The cleanup is horrific, too. As much as I love them, I have not made them since my husband passed in 2004.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby beenie » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:50 pm

Kristina wrote:I can't get hummus right. I've tried so many times. Sigh. It's not even COOKING.

Erin has an amazing hummus recipe, you should hit her up on FB.

Mine is bread.
I've been kissed by Pixie - for real!
beenie
Big Sister

Postby new cook » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:02 pm

I think the only thing that had ever intimidated me was biscuits, but with the help of Lee I overcame that fear and now I can make a pretty decent batch. Individual recipes don't scare me, but putting together a large, complex meal make me very anxious. I'm still working out how to time all the different dishes so they're ready at the same time.

Catherine wrote:I don't usually have issues cooking most foods... deep frying I dislike, because you have to get rid of the oil....
Ugh! Yes, I have this dislike, too. As a result, I almost never deep fry. Nowadays my quest for maintaining good health is also discouraging factor.

Shawn, I don't know if you're talking about winter or summer squash, but either way have you tried roasting the squash before layering it in a casserole?
Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-92)

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Marz Epan » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:21 am

Candy. I just can't get it right.

I used to shy away from making anything with yeast. I am the Cinnamon Bun queen now (well, at least in my house). I absolutely love the whole process and can't wait until the days are cooler again so I can get back to it. I've made my first souffle and now I can't wait to try another variation. I might even try Angel Food cake.
Marz Epan
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby sadiedog » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:53 pm

There is no way in hell I'm cooking anything handed to me by a clown.

END!
OF!
STORY!

Other than that, I am really trying hard to find something I'm intimidated to cook. Sure many recipes don't come out well, my baking leaves much to be desired, but I can't say that I've ever been afraid to try.

Correct that: I used to be afraid to try lots of stuff. Now that I have learned many basics in cooking, I find that most recipes are based on a few standard techniques. Makes cooking a lot less scary.
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby CopperTop » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:29 am

Octopus.

To this day, almost 40 years later, I STILL have nightmares about when my first boss asked me to prepare the octopus for the Feast of 7 Fishes he was doing for Christmas eve. Silly me, I assumed the cooler was taped shut because the product was packed on dry ice.

It never occurred to me he'd managed to get his hands on live product... and the first one I pulled out decided to wrap itself around me. I sported the bruises from the suckers for a week.
Fat, sassy and proud.
CopperTop
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby nlkdavid » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:35 am

^^ :shock: CT wins!
Choice, so simple, yet so misunderstood...
nlkdavid
Captain Briner

Postby carla » Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:55 am

Lots of things, starting with shellfish & crustaceans, as simple as they are. I don't trust myself cooking them; I like eating them in restaurants as a treat.
I've barely even pan fried, let alone deep fried. I bake crumb-crusted chicken. I just wasn't brought up with any frying. I now eat bacon when I go out to b-fast because I don't want to clean up after it. This is also a good dietary limit.
I have a true and silly, soft spot for octopus (octopi?). I think they're so cool. I'm not comfortable eating them. I know, totally illogical, as I'll eat a rabbit, lamb or pig... :roll: :think:
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Gipper » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:43 pm

I've never ran into anything that's really intimidated or flummoxed me, honestly, but I haven't really gone out of my way to try anything "weird," so...
Gipper
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Cheez-Wiz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:17 am

Pastry dough/pie crust. Never mastered the art of rolling the dough to the right thickness. It's either paper thin and falling apart, or thick as a board.
Cheez-Wiz
Commander Briner

Postby Holly » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:27 am

This southern belle is quaking as she admits this....,..

FRIED CHICKEN.

Never made it, prolly never will.

Actually, I should put that on my bucket list.

H
Holly
Admiral Briner

Postby thatchairlady » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:35 pm

Probably couldn't produce a GOOD pie crust if PENNYWISE held a gun to my head!! If he was holding that gun to said head and said cook liver... I'd say, just shoot me, ain't gonna happen!
thatchairlady
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Esther C » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:07 am

AAAAAAAPPLES!!! O-O

I'm quite fond of the computers. Quite allergic to the edibles.
"Oooooh! You stabbed the *HOST*?
Not good.
BOOTED!" -Smoof Dust
Esther C
Lieutenant Briner

Return to QoTD