[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - QOTD 8/13: Filling your bucket (Part 1)

QOTD 8/13: Filling your bucket (Part 1)

Daily Question of the Day

Moderator: okbye

QOTD 8/13: Filling your bucket (Part 1)

Postby Chef Mongo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:42 am

Holly mentioned her culinary bucket list in Friday's QOTD, and that got me thinking. We've all got our food-related BL items, be they places to eat, dishes to sample or things we want to create.

So, for today, what place(s) are on your culinary bucket list? What ones have you already visited? (Jules: You and PF share LOTS! Pretty pictures!)
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Re: QOTD 8/13: Filling your bucket (Part 1)

Postby chefshawn » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:14 am

I've been to Delmonico's, French Laundry, wd50, kat'z deli, gino's east, topolobampo, ed debevic's, tetsuya's, moto's, demiepicurious, and at least a couple dozen less-famous awesome, awesome places. I'm very happy to say that a local place, Foothills Milling Company, can hold it's own against any of them.

I have learned, after a 3.5 hour dinner with my pregnant wife at wd50, that taking her to such meals is a waste of money and her time. If I have any other such meals, she will not likely join me.

At this exact moment, expecially since money is tighter now than ever in our house, I can't think of any really, really great meals I'd like to travel to.

I'd really like to get back dwn to my Dad's town to get some burgers at C.F.Penn's, or whatever they call the place that the cook moved to.
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby chefshawn » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:50 am

chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby gypsy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:34 am

My fantasy vacation is to eat my way around New Orleans. That's pretty much "it".
Breast cancer is a disease, not a marketing opportunity.
----------------------------
That Obama sticker on your car might as well say, "Yes, I'm Stupid".
Mangia e statte zitte.
gypsy
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:43 am

I'd like to try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizzeria_Bianco but other than that I got nothing. I haven't to many fancy or known places but the ones I have left me wondering what they hype was about. Just not for me.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby Chef Mongo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:09 pm

I want to fly to SE Asia and pretty much eat everything Bourdain ate in his travels there.

At least three servings of the marrowbone soup.
Chef Mongo
Dad

Postby chefshawn » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:41 pm

Chef Mongo wrote:I want to fly to SE Asia and pretty much eat everything Bourdain ate in his travels there.

At least three servings of the marrowbone soup.

I will join you, and we will collect dozens of foods on sticks.

chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby Chef Mongo » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:51 pm

Here's the plan, Shawn: We fly there on one-way tickets. We can't come home until we've eaten enough food on sticks to build a boat to sail back.
Chef Mongo
Dad

Postby haleoalau » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:52 pm

I gotta be honest, right now I don't care about fancy food or go to locations.

I just want dinner each night with my husband.

:(
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
haleoalau
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:20 pm

Since I've never been to Europe, it's still at the top of my bucket list. I would love to eat my way through Paris, London & Vienna for starters; then on to Spain, Italy, Greece, etc.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Kinsley » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:43 pm

I don't really have a bucket list.
I want to travel and sample local cuisine.
There's still much of North America I haven't
visited. I'd like to tour the Mediterranean,
Carribean, South and East Asia, France,
Central and South America... I want to
visit The UK and Ireland, but the food isn't
the main attraction. :wink:

But I'm flexible, mainly I'd like to find
somebody I enjoy travelling with. 8)

There are many foods that I've had before
and want to have again, but I can't think of
any particular new thing that I want to try. :?

The Artist formerly known as BigCrab

"They were so preoccupied with what they could do, that they didn't
think about whether they should.''
- Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park .

"You can't always get what you want; but if you try sometimes,
you just might find, you get what you need."
- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Postby Jules » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:09 am

Chef Mongo wrote:
So, for today, what place(s) are on your culinary bucket list? What ones have you already visited? (Jules: You and PF share LOTS! Pretty pictures!)

:D Currently on vacation checking off the list, adding new spots.:D
I'm impressed ... and happy. Not "surprised" ... but happy.
I AM Queen of the Jammed!
Jules
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby ABwannabe » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:45 pm

Shawn, if you do come down to try C.F.Penn's let me know and I'll try to join you! Didn't they start out in Hartselle? I went to one in Hartselle that sounds a lot like it. It was so greasy the wax paper dripped. But *man* it was delicious!

I can't think of a "bucket list" for myself. I just enjoy trying good food. Frankly, formality doesn't do much for me unless it's pleasant and relaxing. A 3.5 hour meal sounds like I'd get tired after a while unless my dining companion(s) is/are very pleasant. I would like to try some "authentic" non-American cuisine: Chinese, Japanese, Russian(!), Greek, South American, even some African cuisines. I don't know that I'd go Bourdain-like with the "weird" stutff, but I'd be somewhat adventuresome.

I've been to a couple of Pizza places in Chicago that were great, and I can't recall either name. Plus, I've had Italian Beef sandwiches there. That's pretty near the top of my culinary excitement list. Plus, I ate at the *original* Dreamland BBQ, in Tuscaloosa. At least back in the early 90's it was very good.
ABwannabe
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby moonablaze » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 pm

gypsy wrote:My fantasy vacation is to eat my way around New Orleans. That's pretty much "it".

I am incredibly lucky to have just finished doing that! granted, we didn't have any fancy high-gourmet meals, but we had a lot of local favorites and all around great meals.
A good cook is a sorceress who dispenses happiness.
- Elsa Schiapirelli

"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." -Doug Larson
moonablaze
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby moonablaze » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:42 pm

the top of my culinary bucket list is Italy. it always has been. I thought when I got diagnosed with celiac, I wouldn't ever be able to go and enjoy it. but to my surprise and delight, Italy is probably the most celiac-friendly country in the world! Testing is standard in childhood checkups and so awareness is incredibly high. supposedly you can just ask for food "senza glutine" at just about any restaurant and get safe food!
A good cook is a sorceress who dispenses happiness.
- Elsa Schiapirelli

"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." -Doug Larson
moonablaze
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby gypsy » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:59 am

moonablaze wrote:
gypsy wrote:My fantasy vacation is to eat my way around New Orleans. That's pretty much "it".

I am incredibly lucky to have just finished doing that! granted, we didn't have any fancy high-gourmet meals, but we had a lot of local favorites and all around great meals.

I bet it was wonderful! I've wanted to do this since I was a kid.
Breast cancer is a disease, not a marketing opportunity.
That Obama sticker on your car might as well say, "Yes, I'm Stupid".
Mangia e statte zitte.
gypsy
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby honeycomb » Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:00 pm

haleoalau wrote:I gotta be honest, right now I don't care about fancy food or go to locations.

I just want dinner each night with my husband.

:(

*HUG*

That empty place gets old fast. Hang in there, lady, and blessings to you and yours.

Many places I'd love to travel, truly, and sky's the limit if I had the funds...international travel, absolutely! On my budget though, U.S. travel is more likely for the next few years. I would like to visit some southern friends and have proper biscuits, cornbread, fried chicken, tea, etc. with better company (e.g. some of you lovely folk) than the snooty officer wives I met at Ft. Jackson, SC. I also adore crab and shrimp, would love a great crab feast.
Never eat more than you can lift. --Miss Piggy

Pleasant words are a honeycomb; sweetness to the soul and healing to the bones.
honeycomb
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby new cook » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:04 am

I have a big-ass bucket list.

But right now my top two foodie desires are to dine at the French Laundry and to cook with Rick Bayliss in Mexico.
Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-92)

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Slamdunkpro » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:19 am

We just finished 7 days in New England and the rule was "No chains, not one" and we did it. Found some real gems and some not so good landmarks but it was a great culinary tour.

The highlights:

"O" at Lake Opechee Inn NH: Don't think, just get the lobster Mac & Cheese. We aren't talking about "Meat from a one pound lobster" we're talking about a mac& cheese that is literally heaping with lobster meat. It was all that two of us could do to finish it.

The Lobster Claw 2 in Derry NH: Yeah OK it looks like a dump. Yeah it is a dump. But it's a great dump. Fresh steamed soft shell lobsters full of meat and killer onion rings cheap!

Morrison's Lobster on Badger Island ME: Gotta love Maine health departments, no way a place like this exists in any urban area. It's literally a woman selling steamed lobsters out of her walk through garage on a pier sitting in the middle of Portsmouth harbor. It's a BYOB place with no sides (unless the corn is good that day) but it's hard to beat picking lobster fresh off the boat lounging in such a picturesque setting.

King Arthur cafe at King Arthur Flour in Norwich VT: Awesome bakery / cafe for a quick brunch: Get the scones.
No Clicky Blind Linky's!
There is no problem that can’t be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order
I've been kissed by Pixie!
Slamdunkpro
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby chefshawn » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:29 am

new cook wrote:I have a big-ass bucket list.

But right now my top two foodie desires are to dine at the French Laundry and to cook with Rick Bayliss in Mexico.

I bet he doesn't cook in Mexico, but has a WICKED agenda for eating!

chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby Kamidanshir » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:31 am

Slamdunkpro wrote:We just finished 7 days in New England and the rule was "No chains, not one" and we did it. Found some real gems and some not so good landmarks but it was a great culinary tour.

Cool! Did you have to do much advance planning, or was it pretty spontaneous?
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Kamidanshir
Dread Pirate Briner

Postby new cook » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:42 am

chefshawn wrote:
new cook wrote:I have a big-ass bucket list.

I bet he doesn't cook in Mexico, but has a WICKED agenda for eating!

He DOES cook in Mexico! From the FAQ page on his website:
www.rickbayliss.com wrote:How can I sign up for Rick's cooking classes in Mexico?
Rick teaches classes in Mexico once a year usually in the early spring.  The classes are offered as part of a week-long program organized by Marilyn Tasend with Culinary Adventures, Inc.  Every year this program visits a different region of Mexico.  For more information about this program, you can contact Marilyn either by phone (253) 851-7676 or via email.

But I'd also be happy to join him for an eating tour of Mexico. Wish I could afford to bid on this:
www.rickbayliss.com wrote:How can I join Rick and the staff on their annual trip to Mexico?
We take one couple with us on our annual staff 4th of July Mexico trip.  This is one of the silent auction prizes that we offer every year at the Frontera Farmer Foundation benefit held in June.  It is an all expenses paid trip and the bidding starts at $10,000.  The proceeds go to funding our grant program for Midwest family farms.
Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-92)

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Slamdunkpro » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:09 pm

Kamidanshir wrote:
Slamdunkpro wrote:We just finished 7 days in New England and the rule was "No chains, not one" and we did it. Found some real gems and some not so good landmarks but it was a great culinary tour.

Cool! Did you have to do much advance planning, or was it pretty spontaneous?

Some, My wife went up for 2 quilt shows and I joined her in Lowel on Tuesday. We knew where we wanted to be on certain days but as to how we got there and where we went, that was serendipitous.
No Clicky Blind Linky's!
There is no problem that can’t be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order
I've been kissed by Pixie!
Slamdunkpro
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:10 pm

Yes, it took watching Bourdain to trigger me; I just don't keep a list beyond a few of these:

A Thomas Keller restaurant, of course, preferably the French Laundry.
Pied a Cochon
Cochon New Orleans
An authentic italian meal in any of Italy's regions
One of Batali's restaurants

Coconut crab
super crispy skin spit-roasted entire pig, wherever.
a great homemade head cheese (I drool just considering it)
trotters
a truffle-centric meal!

Of course I could go on.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Return to QoTD