[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - QOTD 8/21/12: School Supplies

QOTD 8/21/12: School Supplies

Daily Question of the Day

Moderator: okbye

QOTD 8/21/12: School Supplies

Postby LucyLu » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:24 am

When you went back to school every year, what supplies did you HAVE to have? A new backpack? The latest fashions? A fancy new calculator?

On a similar note, did your family have a back to school shopping tradition?
Lucy

~The GEFP official Ace of Cakes~
LucyLu
Vice Admiral Briner

Re: QOTD 8/21/12: School Supplies

Postby gypsy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:25 am

We didn't use backpacks in our day. Trapper Keepers were the big thing when I was in jr. high, and those fabric-covered 3-ring binders (so you could doodle artwork on them in class when you were bored). We didn't buy any book covers either, just made 'em out of brown paper grocery bags (again, so we had doodle space). I always had to have brand new Bic ballpoint pens though.
Breast cancer is a disease, not a marketing opportunity.
----------------------------
That Obama sticker on your car might as well say, "Yes, I'm Stupid".
Mangia e statte zitte.
gypsy
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby new cook » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:19 pm

Yeah, no backpacks back in the day. We carried our books in our arms (see various episodes of Leave it to Beaver). We didn't have lockers at our school until high school.

PeeChee folders were about the only type of folder available back then for holding papers. It was those and 3-ring binders. My binders were vinyl covered, with mod flower power designs at first, then simpler designs or even just solid colors later. The PeeChees were definitely doodled all over.

Like gypsy, we made our school book covers from brown paper bags. The purpose was to protect the books so they could retain a higher resale value the next year. Before school started there was a day where students met to buy and sell the used books. New books are expensive! But yeah, we doodled on them, too.

In the younger grades, our teachers' list of necessary supplies included an empty cigar box to contain our pens and pencils, erasures, sharpeners, crayons, etc. We would go to the nearest liquor store to get them, and the stores knew we'd be coming every year so they saved some up for local students.

Our teachers also insisted on cartridge pens, no ballpoints were allowed! Ink had to be blue. In 5th grade my cartridge ink was peacock blue—so pretty. One advantage of cartridge pens was that when they ran out of ink you simply replaced the cartridge. They were much more ecological than ballpoints, but by 7th grade ballpoints became acceptable at school.

A new lunchbox was required, but by junior high age it was much cooler to carry a brown paper bag instead.

The handheld calculator was a brand new marvel back then. A new one could set you back a couple hundred or more, which was a lot of money back then. So no, we didn't use them. And even when the prices started to drop by the time I was in high school, they were not allowed. Our teachers viewed them as a crutch and they wanted us to actually know how to solve mathematical problems.

We wore uniforms, so during school hours personal expression was limited to shoes, socks, hair accoutrement, jewelry, and of course purses. Shopping for purses and shoes was a big deal, and the week before school started my girlfriends and I would experiment with different hairstyles using ribbons, barrettes, hairbands, etc.

Outside of school hours, like at football games, we wore whatever we wanted, so there was also much attention paid to shopping for "free dress" time.

Looking back makes me realize how much we reduced, reused, and recycled. A lot of our parents and teachers were depression-era babies, so I think it had a lot more to do with frugality then anything else, but it's still a good idea.
Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-92)

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby thatchairlady » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:19 pm

Today, don't parents get a "list" of stuff their kids NEED to bring to school?? Things like tissues, hand sanitizer, markers... and usually SPECIFIC brands and enough for several kids??
thatchairlady
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby gypsy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:49 pm

thatchairlady wrote:Today, don't parents get a "list" of stuff their kids NEED to bring to school?? Things like tissues, hand sanitizer, markers... and usually SPECIFIC brands and enough for several kids??

My daughter attended parochial school, and when she was in the elementary grades they used to mail us a list of stuff she was "required" to bring on the first day of school. But when she reached the middle school grades, they dispersed with that until the first day and then they'd send the list home, which used to drive me nuts because we could never shop ahead and hit the sales.

Best money we spent though was the backpack we bought her through L.L. Bean. The first one lasted 5 years, and we had it replaced for free when it wore out. She's still got it, too. Took her all the way through high school and now she uses it to stash her reenacting garb.
Breast cancer is a disease, not a marketing opportunity.
That Obama sticker on your car might as well say, "Yes, I'm Stupid".
Mangia e statte zitte.
gypsy
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:18 pm

new cook wrote:Our teachers also insisted on cartridge pens, no ballpoints were allowed! Ink had to be blue. In 5th grade my cartridge ink was peacock blue—so pretty. One advantage of cartridge pens was that when they ran out of ink you simply replaced the cartridge. They were much more ecological than ballpoints, but by 7th grade ballpoints became acceptable at school.

:lol: I've got a few years on you, nc, & you had to get refill cartridges for ballpoint pens, too - Bics hadn't been invented yet. But I loved the cartrige fountain pens & peacock blue was my favorite color ink.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Myrealana » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:05 pm

I remember in middle school, the big thing was finding the perfect Trapper Keeper, with a folder for each class, and a bazillion #2 pencils. I was thrilled when I first got mechanical pencils in high school. Those things were the BOMB! And erasable pens. I always had to have erasable pens.

We went shopping for school clothes the last week of August. I really used to look forward to that because I didn't get a lot of new clothes as a kid. We usually picked up school supplies at the same time, since my clothes came from K-Mart or Target, just like notebooks and pencils.

Now, Liam's school does this awesome thing. In May, they send home an order form. You send back a check (~$45 or so) and your student's school supplies are waiting at their desk at orientation. Now, maybe I could save a few bucks by shopping sales and driving around, but it's so worth it not to have to spend literally HOURS shopping for supplies like I did with Alaric, because ChairLady is right, supply lists these days are specific to brand, style, number, etc. You can't just get scissors and glue, you have to get the "Fiskars 7" Student Scissors" and the "Elmer's Disappearing Purple glue stick."
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby vickatina » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:41 am

I remember middle school...Trapper Keepers (and the big selection of folders for them) were all the rage. I also covered my books with paper bags. My birthday is TODAY (Aug 21st) so I often got new clothes for school for my birthday. Didn't mind it though, simply because I got a whole new wardrobe every year!

The Mini-Vicks....both elementary schools they had attended were in "poor" districts, so they didn't really ask much..a lot was provided. But I do remember one teacher in the middle school that just HAD to have a certain type of folder that HAD to be certain colors...drove us NUTS!!
"I'm not a stalker, I'm an unpaid private investigator." ;)

The GEFP Roving Reporter
vickatina
Vice Admiral Briner

Location: Well, we're living here in Allentown (actually, just a bit north)

Postby Susie Pins » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:35 am

The school I went to didn't issue a list!

But I always went back with a new pencil case complete with pencil crayons, rubber, ruler, and a compass.
This was carried in a leather satchel. No calculators ( they were not even invented then!) A cartridge pen for cursive writing lessons.
The biro pens were issued each day and collected at the end of the lessons...again something very new and expensive! Any exercise books
needed were issued by the school. Although we sometimes had a small notebook ourselves for quick notes/love letters/threats/doodles etc :D

Never took a packed lunch as there was a dining hall where meals were served each day ( We paid for them each week in advance!)

Midmorning milk was given too...up until I left at 14!

The only thing I used to sneak into my bag was a transistor radio to listen to at break time :D
If Music be the food of love, play on.....

I have been Mongo hugged....almost as good as buffalo wings ;)
Susie Pins
Commander Briner

Postby tj » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:30 am

Can identify, Susie Pins! In the fifth grade, a friend and I would cart around an old (Remington?) adding machie that must have weighed 35 pounds and we did it in the basket of our bicycles. The best thing that I can say for itis that the crank was good for building up arm strength. At about that time, there was ONE transistor radio in the family and I really don't know why my brother and I scrapped over who got to play with it because there were only one or two stations we could even get as pops and squeeks. Once in a while a song or the announcer would happen.

School supplies were pretty basic. Paper, pencils, protractors and rulers and crayons when we were younger. The pencil sharpener was on the wall near the blackboard. How did we survive?
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby new cook » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:27 am

Susie Pins wrote:The only thing I used to sneak into my bag was a transistor radio to listen to at break time :D
The transistor radio: precursor to the iPod! As well as the Walkman.

When I was in high school I kept a small transistor radio in my jacket pocket to listen to (with ear piece) during football games. The games were mostly an excuse to socialize, as far as I was concerned... I really wasn't into paying much attention to what was happening on the field itself. :lol:

May I ask you SusiePins, how old are you? I think I was around 10 or 11 when handheld calculators first became available here. Even so, as a young adult when I worked my first jobs in accounting departments they were nowhere to be found. We used the hand-cranked manual calculators that spit out printed tape. I loved the feel of them and the sound they made.

Back to the subject of school supplies: compasses and protractors! They were a lot of fun to use. Also, the diagramming templates. Do kids still use them at school these days?
Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-92)

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Return to QoTD