[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - QOTD 8/22/12: Lunch Time

QOTD 8/22/12: Lunch Time

Daily Question of the Day

Moderator: okbye

QOTD 8/22/12: Lunch Time

Postby LucyLu » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:35 am

What was/is your favorite school lunch? Homemade? Cafeteria? What special items did you like to enjoy?
Lucy

~The GEFP official Ace of Cakes~
LucyLu
Vice Admiral Briner

Re: QOTD 8/22/12: Lunch Time

Postby new cook » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:43 am

LucyLu wrote:What was/is your favorite school lunch? Homemade? Cafeteria? What special items did you like to enjoy?

My mom made the best tuna salad sandwiches on whole wheat bread. We didn't have a cafeteria, but the school did sell hotdogs and chili dogs one day a month, they were brought into the classrooms. They were a second favorite.
Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-92)

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby DanC » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:47 am

red beans and rice on Mondays. I went to elementary school in Louisiana when they actually cooked a lunch every day...

white beans and rice was like on Wednesday or Thursdays...

I detested taking sandwiches because for some odd reason my Mom put mayo on them, and hot mayo, sucks.
DanC
Admiral Briner

Postby vickatina » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:01 pm

I packed my lunch for most of Elementary School, in a Bionic Woman metal lunchbox.

Later years, it was a mix of both buying and packing...nothing worth remembering, imho.
"I'm not a stalker, I'm an unpaid private investigator." ;)

The GEFP Roving Reporter
vickatina
Vice Admiral Briner

Location: Well, we're living here in Allentown (actually, just a bit north)

Postby Chef Mongo » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:12 pm

When I was in elementary school in Zachary, La., just north of Baton Rouge, we had some Cajun women who ran our cafeteria. We'd have all kinds of stuff you'd NEVER see these days. We had red beans and rice frequently, but my very favorite was once in third grade when we came in to find all the tables covered with newspaper and got a crawfish boil for lunch!
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Postby gypsy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:18 pm

In elementary and jr. high it was a toss-up between hot lunch and mom's lunch. When mom made lunch, the sandwiches I looked forward to were egg salad with chopped sweet gherkins, and "chicken loaf" on white Pepperidge Farm bread. For hot lunch, my favorite meal was hamburgers on a nice soft bun, served with a side of buttered corn, potato chips, fruit cup and a carton of milk. Spaghetti and pizza were also great lunches I remember.

In elementary school the mother of one of my friends worked as a "lunch lady" and if you forgot your money she'd spot you for milk or an ice cream sandwich. My friend used to be embarrassed by her mother being there, but we kids thought it was cool to have a lunch lady know us by name and give us the occasional freebie.
Breast cancer is a disease, not a marketing opportunity.
----------------------------
That Obama sticker on your car might as well say, "Yes, I'm Stupid".
Mangia e statte zitte.
gypsy
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby tj » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:43 pm

In early elementary school my favorite part was the smell. small town in the Midwest, so pretty straightforward farm wife food and always good, but the cafeteria always smelled great.

The one thing I remember really liking when we moved to another state was Mrs. Bowles' peanut butter and lettuce sandwiches. Easy to please, huh? I was the scared new kid and she made me feel like she had made that sandwich just for me. Such are the saints.

After elementary school what happened in the name of lunch at the school cafeteria is now part of a toxic waste dump and best forgotten.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby chefshawn » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:06 pm

I never had a "made lunch" that I could remember. I always bought.

There wasn't much memorable about school lunch until 8th grade when I started a school that sent out menus and took orders during second period, then it was hot and ready by lunch time. I order essentially a Fritos pie most days. THAT WAS AWESOME, but only lasted one semester, before the lunchladies I suppose revolted, and the school went to the state's program.

Later, I was more "entrepreneurial" than hungry, so I bought a case of Skittles at Sam's. I ate a pack a day, then saved my lunch money to buy MORE candy, whic I sold out of a dufflebag at a wicked profit to other kids. I never had money problems til I got a job.

To this day, though, I am still a sucker for the rectangular pizzas with the tiny sausage dice on them.
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby Butterbean » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:24 pm

No cafeteria at my school, so I always packed my lunch. My favorite was a ham sandwich & homemade devil's food layer cake for dessert. My mom always wrapped stuff in waxed paper, although saran wrap & baggies did exist back then. One vivid memory I have is of a classmate who brought a cold cooked artichoke for lunch once along with some kind of thing to dip it in (either cold butter or mayo or something). I was absolutely fascinated.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby gypsy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:48 pm

What do you remember as your worst lunch? Mine was my mom's "great idea" of cream cheese on pumpernickle bread with grape jelly. EEEEEEEE-YUCK!
Breast cancer is a disease, not a marketing opportunity.
That Obama sticker on your car might as well say, "Yes, I'm Stupid".
Mangia e statte zitte.
gypsy
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby beenie » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:58 pm

Always bought lunch - my favorite was pizza. I was also quite fond of school lunch rice - shiny from all the butter and stayed perfectly molded in the shape of the disher.
I've been kissed by Pixie - for real!
beenie
Big Sister

Postby okbye » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:31 pm

I had a serious eating disorder as a kid, if I could swing it I would have both a brought lunch and a bought one. That became much easier the older I got.

I don't remember too much about the specifics of lunch except in grade school I loved the tater tots because we never had them at home. In high school we had a snack bar type thing outside of the cafeteria where you could buy things like burgers and hostess cakes. I would always eat lunch in the cafeteria (usually bought) and then go buy a deep fried burrito and a lemon pie.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby todd » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:02 pm

Two dishes that were made from scratch @ Killingly Memorial School in the late sixties to the mid seventies were the baked mac & cheese, and the hamburg/sausage pizza.
Never found anything close. :(
I'd pay $100.00 to get my hands on them.
:)
todd
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby LucyLu » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:09 pm

In elementary school we had great school lunch. I got that most of the time. The two lunch ladies would make almost everything from scratch. We had things like french bread pizza, potato soup, chili, grilled cheese, etc. Everything was great!

Middle and high school food sucked! I usually brought food from home or didn't eat at school. Now, I mostly bring food to school (college) or buy something from one of the cafes on campus. I'll bring bagels, fruit, maybe a PB&J, yogurt, veggies and humus, or whatever I have at home.
Lucy

~The GEFP official Ace of Cakes~
LucyLu
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:51 pm

I have almost no recollection of the school lunches I had in elementary school in New Jersey, but middle and high school lunches are another story. :) Some favorite items/entrees:

- Fresh-baked wheat rolls with butter
- Green been casserole (not the kind with onion soup, but the kind with Italian bread crumbs)
- Grilled cheese sandwiches and shrimp gumbo (Fridays during Lent were the only times I could have the school's gumbo. ;) )
- Apple crisp (affectionately dubbed "apple crapple" in high school)

In my sophomore year of high school, the powers-that-be decided that instead of offering world history to our G/T class, we would take a telecourse in world geography (lamest class ever, BTW, from quality of instruction to content). The timing conflicted with our regularly scheduled lunch (which was 11:00), so the administration decided to give us an early lunch period. So, there we were, having lunch at 10:20 am. The one and only advantage of that whole awful experience was that we got to eat school lunch in its freshest state. The cafeteria staff were also getting really creative that year, so they often asked us for feedback on their dishes. Remarkably, it was all pretty good. The breaded baked chicken was tender and juicy, with a crispy coating. Those wheat rolls were phenomenal when served hot. :)
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Return to QoTD