[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - QOTD 8/29: New place

QOTD 8/29: New place

Daily Question of the Day

Moderator: okbye

QOTD 8/29: New place

Postby Chef Mongo » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:14 am

Do you have any traditions you follow when you move into a new domicile? Do you do a cleansing? Is there a specific piece of furniture that *HAS* to go in first? Anything?
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Re: QOTD 8/29: New place

Postby chefshawn » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:17 am

I like to turn on the lights.
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby Jules » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:52 am

It's not first in each time, but it doesn't feel right until all the copper is hanging on the kitchen walls.
I'm impressed ... and happy. Not "surprised" ... but happy.
I AM Queen of the Jammed!
Jules
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Parrothead » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:33 am

Not really sure - I haven't moved in 13+ years.
"If our lives were that simple we'd live in the past..."
Parrothead
Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:00 am

Toilet paper in the bathroom would be one of the first things.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby DitsyD » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:40 am

It's not "home" until a meal has been prepared and eaten there; even if it is making sandwiches or heating a can of soup and using paper plates.
"Setting an example is not the main means of influencing another, it is the only means." ~Albert Einstein
"Life is too short to make crust for uncertain pies."~Wendy McClure
If looks could kill, women wouldn't need frying pans.
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.
DitsyD
Admiral Briner

Postby tj » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:26 pm

Haven't moved in more than twenty years, but a light bulb and a roll of toilet paper MUST be included on the first trip in.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:48 pm

I haven't had very many places of my own, and they were very spread apart. This is the first house I bought so really my first MY home, even though I've had apartments and rented those were always pretty communal. I guess the answer is no, I can't think of anything that would be first on the list if U were to get a different one. TP is good though, lol.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby gypsy » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:46 pm

I usually set up the bedroom(s) and kitchen first, everything else can wait until I get around to it and figure out where to store stuff.
Breast cancer is a disease, not a marketing opportunity.
----------------------------
That Obama sticker on your car might as well say, "Yes, I'm Stupid".
----------------------------
Mangia e statte zitte.
gypsy
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby sadiedog » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:30 pm

TP first, bedroom 2nd. Then I give the kitchen another good scrubbing.
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby Steve G » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:36 pm

tj wrote:Haven't moved in more than twenty years, but a light bulb and a roll of toilet paper MUST be included on the first trip in.

18+ years here, but I concur. It also helps to check that the water is on... :oops:

But we do have our primary threshold blessed each year on Jan 1...
Steve G
Lieutenant Commander Briner

Postby CopperTop » Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:27 pm

First thing that happened when we bought our house, even before the first piece of furniture came in, was a walk through with the cauldron containing white sage, gently smoking in order to purify the house.
Fat, sassy and proud.
CopperTop
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Kamidanshir » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:19 am

It's been years since I last moved, but for a while there I was changing apartments every year, when the lease was up. One thing that helped me get settled in, when I lacked the energy to unpack anything after a long day of schlepping, was to have one box labeled "open first". That box held basic toiletries (and yes, TP), and few changes of clothes, a sleeping bag, and pots and pantry supplies for a few basic meals.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Kamidanshir
Dread Pirate Briner

Postby Myrealana » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:37 pm

Put toilet paper on top of whatever box is going in first.

Leave a roll of toilet paper in each bathroom in case the new people didn't think about it.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby JeanC » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:56 pm

LONG time since we've moved, but TP is the first in. I usually tried to spread a move out over several weeks, so then move enough things and then the cats. Once the kitties are there it is home, even if I am still in the other place for a few days until beds get moved.
----
"Soon life will become more interesting" - Chinese fortune cookie

Jean
http://purple-ducky.com/
JeanC
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby moonablaze » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:36 pm

I am in the process of moving as I type (rest break after work). I don't have any move-in rituals but my FAVORITE part of moving is unpacking the kitchen and finding out where everything goes.
A good cook is a sorceress who dispenses happiness.
- Elsa Schiapirelli

"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." -Doug Larson
moonablaze
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Susie Pins » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:18 am

It has been many years since I last moved about 30 I think!

The last thing to be packed and the first thing to be opened is the box containing the kettle,t bags,sugar and milk. Oh and a couple of mugs to drink it out of!

Next thing is the loo paper. But before anything gets moved in I like to clean and vacuum the place. It is usually the custom to clean the house you sell ready for the next owners. Also to leave a card of welcome with a bottle of wine. Plus any instructions of where 'odd' things are like the stop tap and what day the bins are emptied; that sort of thing!

I make sure I clean everything that I pack from the old place rather than move the 'muck' with me :D Not that I have any 'muck' you understand :oops:
If Music be the food of love, play on.....

I have been Mongo hugged....almost as good as buffalo wings ;)
Susie Pins
Commander Briner

Postby Radscientist » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:44 pm

I JUST moved into a new apartment with my wife about 2 weeks ago. I found that I have the habit of upturning ALL of the boxes into one giant piles to sort through and put away. Obviously this is done AFTER the obvious boxes (like kitchenware, hygienic stuff, and clothes) have been unpacked and put away. I have heard stories of people not feeling 'settled' until about a year or so after they moved in because they never did unpack that last box until so late.

This particular habit helped me settle rather quickly and allows us to take advantage of every scrap of spaces not occupied by left over boxes. After only a few days, we had all boxes emptied and put away already. unfortunately, because I ended up doing all this by myself (wife got a new job), my wife is still struggling to feel settled as she is not completely sure where everything is yet.
Radscientist
Chief Petty Officer Briner

Postby beenie » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:39 am

At some point between getting the keys and moving in, set up a couple of camping chairs in the dining area and order a pizza.
I've been kissed by Pixie - for real!
beenie
Big Sister

Postby haleoalau » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:25 pm

sadiedog wrote:TP first, bedroom 2nd. Then I give the kitchen another good scrubbing.

This, with the modification of setting up at least a temporary kid's area (sleep and play).
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
haleoalau
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Esther C » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:05 am

I don't *ever* bring an old broom into a new place. *EVER*.

As always, I'm "Out There".

~Esther C.
"Oooooh! You stabbed the *HOST*?
Not good.
BOOTED!" -Smoof Dust
Esther C
Lieutenant Briner

Return to QoTD