[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - QOTD 9/6: Are you ready for some COLLEGE football?

QOTD 9/6: Are you ready for some COLLEGE football?

Daily Question of the Day

Moderator: okbye

QOTD 9/6: Are you ready for some COLLEGE football?

Postby Chef Mongo » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:10 am

Who's your college team of choice? Did you go to school there, grow up near them or just like them for other reasons? If you've got a great tailgating story/recipe, share it here!

Thanks to my sister, who got two degrees there, I'm an LSU Tigers fan all the way. There is nothing on earth like tailgating with 80,000 drunken coonasses.
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Re: QOTD 9/6: Are you ready for some COLLEGE football?

Postby Norm357 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:48 am

Go Dawgs!
Don't pity the rescue dog, adopt him. If he was human, he would be the one with stories to tell and books to write.

Any idiot can kill a shark. It takes a real man to catch one, kiss him on the head, and let him go.

Norm357
Admiral Briner

Postby chefshawn » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:43 pm

Go Vols!

My culinary school didn't ahve a football team, so I have no "alma mater" to cheer for. I married into this one here in East Tennessee, and the town spirit around here HAS to be seen to be believed. THEY EVEN CHANGED THE AREA CODE OF EAST TENNESSEE TO 865 SO IT WOULD SPELL "VOL"! Yeah, it's like that.

I came in on the tail end of their awesome years, and we're on coach #3 in the past 5 years. It's been a very rocky few seasons, but we all have high hopes for coach Dooley, and of course, last week's game was a GREAT season opener.

I broke down and bought my first "Big Orange" shirt just this last season, more in honor of Pat Summit of women's bball fame than for the guys' football, but it's multipurpose. It was a damn pricey splurge.

Someday, I'd like to grab my earplugs, and go to a game in Neyland stadium (106,000 seats, I think), and be all up in the mix of that insane spirit. Preferably a major rival game in a winning season.

Also, one great note is that ANY TABLE IN TOWN can be had in a restaurant during an evening home game. Yay!
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby Norm357 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:13 pm

chefshawn wrote:Go Vols!

My culinary school didn't ahve a football team, so I have no "alma mater" to cheer for. I married into this one here in East Tennessee, and the town spirit around here HAS to be seen to be believed. THEY EVEN CHANGED THE AREA CODE OF EAST TENNESSEE TO 865 SO IT WOULD SPELL "VOL"! Yeah, it's like that.

I came in on the tail end of their awesome years, and we're on coach #3 in the past 5 years. It's been a very rocky few seasons, but we all have high hopes for coach Dooley, and of course, last week's game was a GREAT season opener.

I broke down and bought my first "Big Orange" shirt just this last season, more in honor of Pat Summit of women's bball fame than for the guys' football, but it's multipurpose. It was a damn pricey splurge.

Someday, I'd like to grab my earplugs, and go to a game in Neyland stadium (106,000 seats, I think), and be all up in the mix of that insane spirit. Preferably a major rival game in a winning season.

Also, one great note is that ANY TABLE IN TOWN can be had in a restaurant during an evening home game. Yay!

Your coach is a traitor to the Great State of GA. :snooty:
Don't pity the rescue dog, adopt him. If he was human, he would be the one with stories to tell and books to write.

Any idiot can kill a shark. It takes a real man to catch one, kiss him on the head, and let him go.

Norm357
Admiral Briner

Postby chefshawn » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:12 pm

well, he ain't my coach, but that's moot.

how do you figure? I don't know his history. Around here, the only real traitor we keep an eye on is Lane Kiffin, who was "so excited" to move here and live a long life, and even name his baby born here "Knox" or something. He left after one season to go to USC, and our local media goes wild whenever he suffers in some way. I heard something recently about a lot of probations?

chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby Norm357 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:47 pm

chefshawn wrote:well, he ain't my coach, but that's moot.

how do you figure? I don't know his history. Around here, the only real traitor we keep an eye on is Lane Kiffin, who was "so excited" to move here and live a long life, and even name his baby born here "Knox" or something. He left after one season to go to USC, and our local media goes wild whenever he suffers in some way. I heard something recently about a lot of probations?

He is the son of the Great Vince Dooley. Legendary UGA football coach.

Norm357
Admiral Briner

Postby Kamidanshir » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:06 pm

I do love seeing Camp Randall explode when Jump Around comes on. That's about the extent of my enthusiasm for college football.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Kamidanshir
Dread Pirate Briner

Postby haleoalau » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:15 pm

I'm not a big fan either way - but I live right smack dab in KU vs K-State, KU vs MU rivalries. That's always fun to watch
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
haleoalau
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby beenie » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:39 pm

Kamidanshir wrote:I do love seeing Camp Randall explode when Jump Around comes on. That's about the extent of my enthusiasm for college football.

It's such an experience in person that just hearing the song is enough to give me chills, whether or not I'm at the game. GO BUCKY!! Though some of you will probably think this is because I've never been to a college football home game other than the Badgers, but I have seriously never been anymore more exciting and electric than Camp Randall Stadium during Jump Around.

You can see the opposing players Jumping Around in this video.

As far as how I came about my Badger fandom, well, I moved to Madison. :lol: Don't get me wrong, I've been all about the Packers and Badgers since I moved to Wisconsin, but there is something exhilarating about living in Madison on a Saturday morning in fall that just sucks you in.
I've been kissed by Pixie - for real!
beenie
Big Sister

Postby Steve G » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:00 pm

beenie wrote:there is something exhilarating about living in Madison on a Saturday morning in fall

Or East Lansing... or Ann Arbor... or Columbus... or Northfield, MN
or just about any city or town that has a college football team.

Who's your college team of choice?
For me: The Michigan State University Spartans. Between the 4 people in
my household, 3 attended MSU, with 2 undergraduate, 1 Masters and 1 doctoral
degrees conferred. I'm the one that didn't attend MSU.

After MSU, I root equally for the Minnesota Gophers (I attended for 2 semesters)
and the Michigan Wolverines (the other U of M).

At the bottom of my list are the 'Oiho' State Buckeyes (required to reside in Michigan)
and the Wisconsin (we don't need no stinkin') Badgers :wink: (I blame my Dad, who was
member of the Minnesota Football Booster's Club).

No tailgating stories, I've only been to one game in the past 40 years.
Steve G
Lieutenant Commander Briner

Postby chefshawn » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:51 am

Norm357 wrote:

So, he followed in his dad's footsteps to hopefully also become a great football coach. Was he necessarily supposed to do it at UGA?
Is UGA as bitter about Derek Dooley as UT is about Kiffin?

chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby Butterbean » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:32 am

Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens! Quite a name, no?

I am from DE, went to college there, & live in Newark (home of U/DE). Haven't been to a game in years, but I try to be aware of the schedule to know what roads to avoid on home games. Sometimes, we're on television.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Norm357 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:51 am

chefshawn wrote:
Norm357 wrote:

So, he followed in his dad's footsteps to hopefully also become a great football coach. Was he necessarily supposed to do it at UGA?
Is UGA as bitter about Derek Dooley as UT is about Kiffin?

Yes and yes.

Norm357
Admiral Briner

Postby chefshawn » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:07 pm

Gotcha.

Well, shots of bitters all around, then!

chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby Cheez-Wiz » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:24 pm

haleoalau wrote:I'm not a big fan either way - but I live right smack dab in KU vs K-State, KU vs MU rivalries. That's always fun to watch

^^^This., only I live closer to MIZZOU.

Been to 1 KU vs K-State game, and 1 Mizzou Vs Huskers. Would go more often if I didn't have to drive.
Cheez-Wiz
Commander Briner

Postby Gipper » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:54 am

College football? Oh, you mean that thing they do when there aren't real football games on...
Gipper
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Kinsley » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:47 pm

The Maryland Terrapins are my team, but
I'm afraid football isn't really our sport.

My dad told me about the great teams that
were the NCAA champions when I was 2 and
again when I was 4. I wasn't really a sports
fan yet then. In the 56 years I do recall, on
the few occasions we made it to a major bowl,
we got creamed by teams from Texas or Florida.

I'll be ready for basketball season.

The Artist formerly known as BigCrab

"They were so preoccupied with what they could do, that they didn't
think about whether they should.''
- Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park .

"You can't always get what you want; but if you try sometimes,
you just might find, you get what you need."
- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Postby Myrealana » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:04 pm

University of Colorado Buffaloes!

My dad and I both went to CU - Boulder.

I was at every home game leading up to the 1990 Orange Bowl victory giving the Buffs their one and only national championship. I waited outside all night trying to get tickets to the Orange Bowl.

Go Buffs!
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Return to QoTD