[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - QOTD 9/18/2012: What Would You Make?

QOTD 9/18/2012: What Would You Make?

Daily Question of the Day

Moderator: okbye

QOTD 9/18/2012: What Would You Make?

Postby LucyLu » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:11 pm

You have a garden full of delicious, late summer treats. Tomatoes, zucchini, onions, eggplants, peppers, basil, thyme, other herbs, maybe some summer squash, and anything else you have ever seen in a home garden. What do you make using your harvest?
Lucy

~The GEFP official Ace of Cakes~
LucyLu
Vice Admiral Briner

Re: QOTD 9/18/2012: What Would You Make?

Postby beenie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:32 am

A giant chopped salad. :lol:

Seriously though, some of it would be canned so I could continue to enjoy the bounty through the fall and winter.

Zukes and summer squash would be chunked and sauteed with seasonings of choice - either garlic/lemon/Fox Point or garlic/sesame oil.

Some zukes would go toward making fried/oven-baked zucchini sticks (there is a place I love to go, specifically because they have fried zucchini).

Peppers would be stuffed or eaten raw. Beets = borscht, I love to roast cauliflower, carrots would likely end up as Vichy or in a cake. I love spinach - raw in a salad, lightly sauteed, chopped and creamed, add to soups, green smoothies, in phyllo with some feta. My favorite way to eat broccoli is lightly steamed with a squirt of lemon, maybe some freshly grated Parm - my other half prefers his to not be so plain, so maybe an occasional cheese sauce.

ETA: tomatoes! How could I forget my favorite food?! Caprese, panzanella, pico de gallo, pasta... yum!
I've been kissed by Pixie - for real!
beenie
Big Sister

Postby chefshawn » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:18 am

Ratatouille, maybe even the fancy version from the movie!
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby tj » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:22 am

chefshawn wrote:Ratatouille, maybe even the fancy version from the movie!

Amen! Hallelujah!
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby chefshawn » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:10 am

Dang, beenie, you and I could get along well in the kitchen!

It'd take a mighty big kitchen to handle us, and God help the cleanup crew, but still!

Tell me more of this Fox Point, and vichy with carrots?

chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby nolafoodie » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:28 pm

Pretty much what everyone else said.

Plus those stuffed vegetables. Gotta stuff the vegetables. ;)

And then I would take all the leftover vegetables (an eggplant here, a zucchini there, couple tomatoes, etc.) and chop them up into a big stew flavored with some of those fresh herbs. :)
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby Cheez-Wiz » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:36 pm

chefshawn wrote:Tell me more of this Fox Point

Fox Point is a seasoning blend made from shallots, scallions, garlic, and chives. It's wonderful!

Penzeys Fox Point Seasoning
Cheez-Wiz
Commander Briner

Postby thatchairlady » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:08 pm

I make a layered casserole with THIN sliced tomatoes, onions, peppers, zukes... whatever fresh veggies I have and like. Between layers of veggies goes shredded cheese (your choice) and home-made, very buttery/garlicky croutons or thin bread rounds (like from hunka left-over bagette). A drizzle of melted butter or nice olive oil and topped with more shredded cheese. Into oven till bubbling. Since nothing in the dish that can't be eaten raw or NEEDS to be cooked (like eggs), I usually have veggies with some bite left to them. The juices from veggies soak into the bread/croutons. One of those thinks that just might be even better the next day... even at room temp. If I make it in the dead of summer, will cook in a container that I can put on the grill... on one side, while I use other for whatever else I'm preparing.
thatchairlady
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby fbx22 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:12 pm

tj wrote:
chefshawn wrote:Ratatouille, maybe even the fancy version from the movie!

Amen! Hallelujah!

my first thought too was Ratatouille
fbx22
Second Class Petty Officer Briner

Postby Slamdunkpro » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:14 pm

Venison roast, hasenpfeffer and squirrel stew with vine and chewed leaf garnish (darn varmits :evil: )
No Clicky Blind Linky's!
There is no problem that can’t be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order
I've been kissed by Pixie!
Slamdunkpro
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:41 pm

Salad, salsa, pesto, corn on the cob w/roasted red pepper butter, the list goes on and on...

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby new cook » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:28 pm

Either ratatouille or along the lines of what thatchairlady suggested, a layered casserole. Except my layers would be dotted with chèvre cheese. It's super flavorful if the veggies are roasted before layering and baking, but it's still delicious if they're not.

Slamdunkpro wrote:Venison roast, hasenpfeffer and squirrel stew with vine and chewed leaf garnish (darn varmits :evil: )
I hear you. Once again, the squirrels got all my peaches and avocados before I had a chance to harvest any of them. :evil:
Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-92)

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby chefshawn » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:20 pm

Cheez-Wiz wrote:
chefshawn wrote:Tell me more of this Fox Point

Fox Point is a seasoning blend made from shallots, scallions, garlic, and chives. It's wonderful!

Penzeys Fox Point Seasoning

Oh yeah! Now I remember it from the catalog!

chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby Steve G » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:14 pm

(picture via camera phone)

Roasted vegetable ratatouille with shirataki noodles. This version
contains green, red, and orange peppers, eggplant, zucchini, yellow
squash and tomato (cherry and Roma).

A co-worker has a small garden (~2 acres) and has been providing
fantastic cucumbers, zucchini, and yellow squash for the last two
month. I've made Roasted vegetables/ratatouille 4 of the last 6 weeks. 8)

new cook wrote:
Slamdunkpro wrote:Venison roast, hasenpfeffer and squirrel stew with vine and chewed leaf garnish (darn varmits :evil: )
I hear you. Once again, the squirrels got all my peaches and avocados before I had a chance to harvest any of them. :evil:

The neighborhood Deer have completely enjoyed my daughter's garden
as well. The only thing they missed was the pumpkin at the end of the
vine that went over the retaining wall.
Steve G
Lieutenant Commander Briner

Postby gypsy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:11 am

Ratatouille
Breast cancer is a disease, not a marketing opportunity.
----------------------------
That Obama sticker on your car might as well say, "Yes, I'm Stupid".
----------------------------
Mangia e statte zitte.
gypsy
Vice Admiral Briner

Return to QoTD