[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - QOTD 9/20/2012: PB Me!

QOTD 9/20/2012: PB Me!

Daily Question of the Day

Moderator: okbye

QOTD 9/20/2012: PB Me!

Postby LucyLu » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:52 pm

What are your Peanut Butter tendencies? Every day on a sandwich? Only for a special treat? Creamy or Chunky? Natural or "Jif" style? Do you like the chocolate-PB combo? How about almond or other nut butters? Please elaborate and feel free to share recipes!
Lucy

~The GEFP official Ace of Cakes~
LucyLu
Vice Admiral Briner

Re: QOTD 9/20/2012: PB Me!

Postby okbye » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:30 am

PB is one of those things I'm snobby about, has to be Jif. With the sodium restriction I'm using Simply Jif but it's not the same. I like it on soft white bread with Welch's grape jelly. That's pretty much it, except I will have it on crackers (still with grape jelly) if I'm out of bread. Very rarely I will change the jelly flavor but rarely. Orange marmalade is my most common variation. Don't like any other nut butters, and I've tried quite a few of them since the sodium thing. Sunflower butter especially was bad ><

I used to LOVE Reese's PB cups but they don't taste as good anymore, not sure if it's them or me. The chocolate is just so inferior.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby nolafoodie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:36 am

LucyLu wrote:What are your Peanut Butter tendencies? Every day on a sandwich? Only for a special treat? Creamy or Chunky? Natural or "Jif" style? Do you like the chocolate-PB combo? How about almond or other nut butters? Please elaborate and feel free to share recipes!

Yes, please! :D
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby tj » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:24 am

Not fond of chunky. Try to get the one with the lowest sugar and salt content. Lately have been using the cheapo cheapo store brand and find that it tastes more roasted. Jif is too plastic, to borrow a metaphor. It should definitely go with Wonder Bread.

Have learned how to stir the kind that has an oil layer, though that is now irrelevant since I can't afford it. Haven't really tried other butters except for a sample of one at Costco. Not exciting enough to walk across the aisle for.

I usually eat it in the simplest way possible from a spoon or on the omnipresent whole wheat bread or same toasted, lately less and less often with jam since I have lost the jam somewhere in the fridge. Sometimes stirred into oatmeal. Never in soup. If I have lettuce, my gourmet PB strangeness is to add it to the sandwich, sometimes mayo [a little bit] also.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby DitsyD » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:31 am

I'm not a big PB or any nut butter eater.

PB with honey or banana if it is a sandwich. I don't do PB&J.

Since I rarely eat PB at all, I don't bother with fancy or natural. Hubby likes PB and he prefers Skippy smooth, so that is what we have in the pantry.
"Setting an example is not the main means of influencing another, it is the only means." ~Albert Einstein
"Life is too short to make crust for uncertain pies."~Wendy McClure
If looks could kill, women wouldn't need frying pans.
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.
DitsyD
Admiral Briner

Postby Jules » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:56 am

:snooty: Hah! Everyone knows the star of a good PBJ is the J, not the PB! :snooty:

:oops:

I prefer my PB to be crunchy.
I'm impressed ... and happy. Not "surprised" ... but happy.
I AM Queen of the Jammed!
Jules
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:13 am

I like a PB&J on occasion, but I prefer other aps for my peanut butter (Skippy Natural Smooth). I often add it to bottled Thai peanut sauce & bake it with chicken wings or thighs. It makes a good sub for tahini in Szechuan noodles. It's pretty dang good in cookies, too. :D

Last edited by Butterbean on Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Myrealana » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:29 am

I love peanut butter. Love, love, love it.

My favorite brand is Skippy creamy, but I'll take chunky.

On wheat bread with honey. On toast with a slice of cheese. As a dip for apple slices. Melted and poured over ice cream. Mixed into my Ramen. Cooked with chicken in the crock pot. Sometimes in a spoon straight from the jar.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Chef Mongo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:03 am

I'm a chunky guy unless I'm making cookies or doing other culinary stuff with it. I love PB and bacon bits tortilla rollups. They're my go-to picnic/lakeside munchie. I make PB&J rollups for the boys.

There's very little I haven't put PB atop at some point. One decadent thing to do is melt some in a ramekin and drizzle it over Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream. NOM.
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Postby ABwannabe » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:09 am

PB & Honey, or PB & banana sandwich for me, with an occasional PBJ, if the Jelly is homemade grape or blackberry. My 3.5 year old son likes PB & honey more than PBJ. Unlike Elvis, I don't particularly like my PB & banana fried.

I like a good PB cookie, and those Corn Flake/PB things, too.

Almond butter is good.

I like Peanut Soup, but haven't had it in ages.
ABwannabe
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:42 am

I'd just like to give special mention to monster cookies, because they are amazing. I like mine with dark chocolate chunks instead of M&Ms. :)

ETA: As an added bonus, the typical flourless recipe is also gluten-free.
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby vickatina » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:58 am

PB? Yes!

I like smooth, not a fan of chunky.

I like my sandwiches with grape, strawberry or raspberry jelly...no real bread preference. I'll eat it on crackers too.

Also like PB with bananas, as a dip for granny smith apples, as a cookie and cake frosting.

We also make PB and banana sandwiches, but sometimes we add fluff. We call them "FlufferNutterNanner" sandwiches.
"I'm not a stalker, I'm an unpaid private investigator." ;)

The GEFP Roving Reporter
vickatina
Vice Admiral Briner

Location: Well, we're living here in Allentown (actually, just a bit north)

Postby chefshawn » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:09 pm

I like it chunky, no brand preference.

My favorite is the long lost PBMax candy, but now I settle for a grilled PB, banana And Mayo sammich.
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby n8urebabe » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:33 pm

I really like PB but I don't think of it very often when I'm planning meals. We prefer smooth Jif style PB. I have almond butter in the house but I'm the only one who will eat it so it has a tendency to get forgotten in the back of the cupboard. My favorite use is the peanut sauce for thai pizza from pampered chef. Love that stuff. We are more likely to make fluffernutter sandwiches than PB&J. Love it with crackers, apples or celery. The weirdest thing I make with it is tomato, PB & miracle whip sandwiches. So much better than it sounds, I promise. :)
Dawn
Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Harriet Van Horne

The act of giving is more important than the merit of the receiver.

Luke: I'll bring back brownies.
Lorelai: Ooh, the pouting has left the building.

n8urebabe
Admiral Briner

Postby Marz Epan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:07 pm

I love PB & J. We tend to buy Jif but that's only because of price (I won't buy Skippy because of the HCFS) and only creamy. I've never cared for the chunky style.

My husband loves peanut butter with celery for a snack.
Marz Epan
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby new cook » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:54 pm

nolafoodie wrote:
LucyLu wrote:What are your Peanut Butter tendencies? Every day on a sandwich? Only for a special treat? Creamy or Chunky? Natural or "Jif" style? Do you like the chocolate-PB combo? How about almond or other nut butters? Please elaborate and feel free to share recipes!

Yes, please! :D
:lol: :lol:

Yep, this is me, too.
Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-92)

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:31 pm

Last 2 jars have been national brand smooth stuff on sale.
I now skip the jam/jelly. My favorite is apple in one hand, soup spoon of PB in the other. I grew up with lettuce & PB sandwiches, tj. Of course back then, I favored PB&J. I do have blueberry jam in the fridge.
When I have the PB craving I love it on "Golden Round" crackers, which is Trader Joe's Ritz take off (less crumbly and just as good; I haven't checked fat, salt or sugar comparisons), on saltines or stone ground wheat crackers, or on wheat toast with honey, accompanied by tea or milk as a beverage.
Oh, I've definitely done the choco chips and PB! Holidays are coming up; chocolate chips will be on sale and I'll store them away in a freezer.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby HoosierDevotee » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:39 pm

peanut butter is such a multi tasker

as a dipper - apples, pretzels, ice cream, spoons,fingers
as a mixer - chocolate, honey, marshmallow fluff, jelly, cottage cheese
as an ingredient - cookies, fudge, smoothies, shakes
as a sandwich - veritably all fruit jams/jellies/marmalades/preserves/conserves, banana, mayo, bologna

smooth and crunchy is all good
mass produced sweetened/salted is good as well as "natural" peanuts and salt only have to mix before use
Terre Haute, Indiana - Crossroads of America
Where Superbowl Champions Begin Their Season
GO COLTS!
HoosierDevotee
Commander Briner

Postby Steve G » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:42 pm

okbye wrote:PB is one of those things I'm snobby about...

I am as well. I buy only these:
ImageImage

I like either on waffles, rice cakes, or the occasional tortilla.
We don't buy bread very often - too many simple carbs and it
gets moldy or freezer burn before it's gone. :oops:
Steve G
Lieutenant Commander Briner

Postby new cook » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:25 pm

Steve G wrote:
okbye wrote:PB is one of those things I'm snobby about...

I am as well. I buy only these:
ImageImage

I like either on waffles, rice cakes, or the occasional tortilla.
We don't buy bread very often - too many simple carbs and it
gets moldy or freezer burn before it's gone. :oops:

I just threw out a loaf of bread this morning that had turned moldy in 2 days. Oh well, I guess it's just as well...

Yeah, I'm kind of a PB and nut butter snob, myself. I haven't tried TJ's yet but am an avid label reader and generally stick with ingredients that are simply peanuts and salt. Or almonds and salt, maybe with a little oil (no cottonseed!) as needed.

Ooooh — now that I've got the VitaMix I must try making my own nut butters. :think: Steve, if you don't already have one I highly recommend it. Slam convinced me that it was worth the splurge, and he was right. I used to think of it as an expensive blender, but calling it a blender is like calling a Ferrari a car. And the VitaMix is far more practical than a Ferrari. 8)
Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-92)

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Steve G » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:12 pm

new cook wrote:Ooooh — now that I've got the VitaMix I must try making my own nut butters. :think: Steve, if you don't already have one I highly recommend it. Slam convinced me that it was worth the splurge, and he was right. I used to think of it as an expensive blender, but calling it a blender is like calling a Ferrari a car. And the VitaMix is far more practical than a Ferrari. 8)

I have the Vitamix's cousin - the BlendTech Total Blender, and yes, it will blend... :shhh:
(as well as being worth the splurge). I'm currently working on soups and smoothies, I haven't made
nut butters in a few years (I experimented after the GE episode where AB made cashew butter)
they're too convenient at Trader Joe's.

The TJ's PB I buy is just peanuts (it took a few tries to acclimate to a no added sugar or fat
product, now I can't eat the popular brands. The Sunflower butter has 3 gm of sugar and
120 mg sodium/serving, but IMO is not sweet, and a nice alternative to PB.
Steve G
Lieutenant Commander Briner

Postby carla » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:12 am

Yep, TJ's PB is good! I'm often overly frugal. I buy shelled sunflower seeds to nibble every time I'm there. I'll be buying both those products in the next few days, thanks for the recommendation.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Kinsley » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:56 am

I'll use peanut butter in an Asian sauce in a stir fry or on noodles.

Jules wrote: :snooty: Hah! Everyone knows the star of a good PBJ is the J, not the PB! :snooty:

Never been a real fan of the PB&J. I'll go one better and skip the PB.
Good Jam (or preserves) on good bread is good enough. Not fond
of jelly, either.

The Artist formerly known as BigCrab

"They were so preoccupied with what they could do, that they didn't
think about whether they should.''
- Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park .

"You can't always get what you want; but if you try sometimes,
you just might find, you get what you need."
- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Postby gypsy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:19 pm

Skippy Super Chunk with Welch's Grape Jelly on Pepperidge Farm white bread.
Breast cancer is a disease, not a marketing opportunity.
----------------------------
That Obama sticker on your car might as well say, "Yes, I'm Stupid".
----------------------------
Mangia e statte zitte.
gypsy
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby thatchairlady » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:42 pm

Don't eat all that much PB but always have it on hand. Always smooth... not chunky. Brand doesn't matter. Toasted white bread, with butter, PB and a drizzle of honey is something I like.

When I had dogs, PB made giving them pills SOOOO much easier... and entertaining!
thatchairlady
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby LucyLu » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:15 pm

Ok . . . I guess I can answer my own question. What a wonderful response!

I like natural style pb. I believe that pb with added oils, often hydrogenated, are less flavorful and rely on sugar and/or salt to make them tasty. I don't mind stirring a really good jar and paying a couple dollars more. Although . . . Maranatha, my preferred brand, make a natural No Stir pb that is my overall, go-to favorite pb. Crunchy please!

Peanut Butter & Co. makes amazing flavored peanut butters. My favorites are "White Chocolate Wonderful," and "Mighty Maple." Other flavors include dark chocolate, cinnamon raisin, honey, and plain, as well as others I'm sure. I buy them at Whole Foods. Look for them next time you are there! I highly recommend them!
Lucy

~The GEFP official Ace of Cakes~
LucyLu
Vice Admiral Briner

Return to QoTD