[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - QOTD 9/25: It's all apples!

QOTD 9/25: It's all apples!

Daily Question of the Day

Moderator: okbye

QOTD 9/25: It's all apples!

Postby Chef Mongo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:47 am

Everywhere I turn in NC this time of year, I'm finding great mountain apples, some of them harvested from wild trees. Besides eating 'em straight, my favorite thing to do with them is make apple butter and applesauce.

What's your favorite apple creation? Share recipes!
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Re: QOTD 9/25: It's all apples!

Postby Butterbean » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:13 am

My favorite apple thing is something I don't make myself - it's cider! A few weeks ago, the nearby orchard had Honeycrisp Apple Cider. It was my first "varietal" cider and it was awesome.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby chefshawn » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:48 am

My wife just likes em cut in 12 pieces, with a glob of Jif on each one.
My boy likes em cut in 64 pieces, out of his little "trappy" cup.
I like 'em out of hand.

If I "must" make something out of them, then I will core and bake them with something crunchy and sweet in the middle. I don't really go for "mushy" apple preparations.

Cider sounds good, but hard cider sounds better.
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby Kamidanshir » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:57 am

I love a good hard cider, but it's tough to find one that's dry enough - most tend to be on the sweet side.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Kamidanshir
Dread Pirate Briner

Postby LucyLu » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Apple crisp is hands down, by far, my favorite apple recipe. I'll eat it for breakfast, dessert, midnight snack, you name it! I wish I had a recipe to share, but when I make it I use as many apples that it takes to fill up the baking dish and make as much topping as needed to cover it up.
Lucy

~The GEFP official Ace of Cakes~
LucyLu
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby tj » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:27 pm

Looked at apples at Food Lion yesterday. None of them smelled like apples. Gotta find some good ones.

Haven't had baked apples in a long time. Could use Nola's corer to hollow them out.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:33 pm

I like them best raw too, cut and cored. Sweet varieties, I'm not a fan of tart in anything. Honey Crisp, Pink Ladies, Ambrosia is my favorite.
I do sometimes like to peel, core and dice them then saute with some butter and brown sugar to make a topping for pork.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby missimessi » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:50 pm

I love tart apples, cored and sliced, lightly salted. Picked that up from an old co-worker from Sri Lanka, and had never thought of it before. I salt cantaloupe, but it never occurred to me to do it with apples. Now it's a major craving.
missimessi
Rear Admiral (upper half) Briner

Postby sadiedog » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:07 am

GRATED APPLE PIE WITH STREUSEL TOPPING  

6 med. Jonathan or McIntosh apples, firm & crisp
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. plus 2 tbsp. unsifted all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 c. firmly packed light brown sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
3 Tbs butter, softened, room temperature
1 (10") unbaked pie shell

1. Peel and coarsely grate apples. Mix apples thoroughly with sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, lemon juice, cinnamon and salt. (You don’t have to core the apples, just run the apple over the large holes of a box grater until you reach the core. Rotate, repeat.)
2. Combine brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour and salt, pressing out any lumps of sugar. Using your hands, rub in the butter until mixture is crumbly. This is the streusel topping.
3. Spoon apple mixture into unbaked pie shell, then scatter sugar mixture (streusel) evenly over the top.
4. Bake in a hot oven, 400 degrees, for 10 minutes; lower temperature to moderate, 375 degrees and bake for 25-30 minutes longer, until filling is bubbly and streusel topping is dappled with brown.
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby Parrothead » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:34 pm

I should try the grated recipe - our Winesap apple tree has some nice large ones on it this year and they are great. While our summer was hot and dry, vine / tree fruits here are very good this year. Lots of sugar and great flavors.
"If our lives were that simple we'd live in the past..."
Parrothead
Admiral Briner

Postby ABwannabe » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:52 pm

I'll eat them out of hand, if they're firm and maybe tart (I like Golden Delicious and Granny Smith).

My favorite application is my father's creation: Sausage and apple pie. I don't have the recipe handy, but basically you brown and drain some sausage, place in a pie crust with sliced apples (I think granny smith, if not then golden delicious), brown sugar and bread crumbs (to absorb all the juice from the apples). Put a crust on top and bake. It's *wonderful*, especially with a side of scrambled eggs. Very German-like.
ABwannabe
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby new cook » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:12 pm

Apples? Oh, if I were to start listing all the ways in which I enjoy apples I'd sound a lot like the way Bubba in Forrest Gump talked about shrimp.
Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-92)

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby haleoalau » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:24 pm

With caramel...
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
haleoalau
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby tj » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:39 pm

"...sliced apples with shrimp, fried shrimp and apples, apples stuffed with shrimp, baked shrimp and apples, cheese and apples and shrimp, shrimp pie with dried apples, grilled shrimp and apples, oven-baked shrimp with apple jelly sauce, shrimp and green apple salad, shrimp sandwiches on apple bread, shrimp and apple curry..."
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby new cook » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:00 pm

tj wrote:"...sliced apples with shrimp, fried shrimp and apples, apples stuffed with shrimp, baked shrimp and apples, cheese and apples and shrimp, shrimp pie with dried apples, grilled shrimp and apples, oven-baked shrimp with apple jelly sauce, shrimp and green apple salad, shrimp sandwiches on apple bread, shrimp and apple curry..."
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep. Minus the shrimp, of course.

apple pie
apple gallette
apple tarte tatin
apple turnovers
apple pancakes
apple crepes
applesauce
apple butter
apple jelly
apple chutney
apple sauerkraut
apple and fennel slaw
apples in waldorf salad
apples in curried chicken salad
apples and peanut butter
dried apples
baked apples
stuffed apples
cheroset (apples and honey)
apples and cranberry relish
apple cake
apple bread
apple fritters
apple brown betty
apple crumble
apple crisp
apple ice cream
apple granita
caramel apples
braised apples and cabbage
apple and sweet potato casserole
apples and pork
apples and chicken
apple and chicken soup
apple and chicken sausage
apple stuffing
wine poached apples
apple juice
apple cider
mulled apple cider
apple soda
appletinis
...and just plain old apples.

:D
Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-92)

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Chef Mongo » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:43 am

ABwannabe wrote:I'll eat them out of hand, if they're firm and maybe tart (I like Golden Delicious and Granny Smith).

My favorite application is my father's creation: Sausage and apple pie. I don't have the recipe handy, but basically you brown and drain some sausage, place in a pie crust with sliced apples (I think granny smith, if not then golden delicious), brown sugar and bread crumbs (to absorb all the juice from the apples). Put a crust on top and bake. It's *wonderful*, especially with a side of scrambled eggs. Very German-like.

Holy crap. I am SO making this.
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Postby ABwannabe » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:49 pm

Chef Mongo wrote:
ABwannabe wrote:I'll eat them out of hand, if they're firm and maybe tart (I like Golden Delicious and Granny Smith).

Holy crap. I am SO making this.

Two important notes:
1. I mis-typed - the apples should be cut into bite size pieces, not sliced

2. This is *very* addictive!
ABwannabe
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby bigchz » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:21 pm

I am fortunate enough to live down the road from an apple orchard and I just love supporting them. They make some lip smackin' apple cider doughnuts and un-pasturized cider.

My favorite recipe. It's easy and oh so good. I prefer to soak the cherries in the apple liqueur rather the brandy. I think the brandy is too overpowering. IMO

APPLE CLAFOUTI with dried cherries

Serve clafouti at room temperature drizzled with the warm reserved juices.
Makes one 9-inch deep dish pie
Total time: 45 minutes

FOR THE FILLING—

1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup apple liqueur or brandy
4 Jonagold apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (13/4 lb.)
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
3 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1/2 vanilla bean, seeds scraped

FOR THE BATTER—

4 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted (plus 1 Tbsp., melted, for brushing pie plate)
3 eggs
1 cup half-and-half
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. table salt Ground cinnamon and sugar

Preheat oven to 400°.

Combine cherries and liqueur in
a small bowl; set aside to plump,
15–30 minutes. Strain cherries,
reserving liquid; set both aside.

Cook apples, brown sugar, 3 Tbsp.
butter, lemon juice, vanilla seeds,
and reserved liqueur in a skillet
over medium heat, until apples
soften, 7–10 minutes.

Brush pie plate, with 1 Tbsp.
melted butter; heat in oven while
blending batter.

Blend first 7 ingredients for batter
until smooth and frothy; set aside

Pour half the batter into heated
pie plate. Layer half of the apples,
(reserving apple juices) on top of
batter followed by half the
cherries. Repeat layering with
remaining apples and cherries. Top
with remaining batter and sprinkle
with cinnamon and sugar; bake
until golden and set in the center,
25–30 minutes.

Simmer reserved juices in a skillet
until reduced by a third. Serve
clafouti drizzled with warm juices.

Cheese is not a condiment, it is the ambrosial food group at the top of the Olympian food pinnacle.
Carla.
bigchz
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

Return to QoTD