[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - QOTD 9/27: Get squashed!

QOTD 9/27: Get squashed!

Daily Question of the Day

Moderator: okbye

QOTD 9/27: Get squashed!

Postby Chef Mongo » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:45 am

OK, we've talked apples. Now let's move to one of the other big fall crops, squash! I know when I go to the farmer's market Saturday, there will be TONS of them. Which is your favorite? How do you fix it?
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Re: QOTD 9/27: Get squashed!

Postby Susie Pins » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:13 am

I won't say what I thought when I saw the headline...... :lol:

I do love butternut squash made into soup......
If Music be the food of love, play on.....

I have been Mongo hugged....almost as good as buffalo wings ;)
Susie Pins
Commander Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:16 am

Cut into cubes and roasted with sliced onions, garlic, and whatever herbs strike my fancy. :)
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby tj » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:36 am

The simplest way: cut in half and discard seeds, place face down in baking dish, add about 1/2" of water and bake. Season with butter, S+P, or butter and brown sugar. Get more and repeat often.

Second simplest way: Prep as above, fill cavity with a wad of good sausage and bake, face up. Gobble, repeat.

Chow recently had a recipe for butternut and bratwurst stew that looks good. Also saw something the other day that uses squash and sweet potatoes. I'm game.

Butternuts are 1.39/lb. here. How are they where you are?

This has to be the year for a butternut squash pie.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:12 am

I've posted this before, but it's easy & very good, so it bears repeating, if canned pumpkin counts. I'm sure you could substitute fresh pureed pumpkin or butternut squash.

Pumpkin Mushroom Soup

1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons oil or butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon red curry powder
3 cups homemade chicken stock
1 pound can of pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
1 tablespoon honey
Dash nutmeg
Salt and pepper
1 cup heavy cream

Saute mushrooms and onion in oil or butter. Stir in flour and curry. Gradually add the broth, then the pumpkin, honey and seasonings to taste. Stir while cooking 15 minutes. Add cream and heat through without boiling. Top with a dollop of sour cream if desired. Makes 6 servings.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby chefshawn » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:14 pm

Awesome Blossom that 8!+(#!

wait, sorry, wrong thread...I just really love saying that.

I keep telling myself that I love spaghetti squash. I eat it nearly every week, but I know I'm lying to myself. It ain't my beloved noodles, no matter what you do to it. It's "okay."

I love roasted cubes of butternut, and I like stuffing little pumpkins with pretty much anything...well, I prefer UNstuffing said pumpkins, but whatever.

No sugar on mine, though, thank you.
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby beenie » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:42 pm

I haven't cooked much with squash, but there was a time I was in a friendly cookoff between friends, and one of my ingredients was acorn squash - I roasted/pureed/sweetened/spiced it and made it into a parfait with sweetened mascarpone and crushed gingersnaps. To DIE for.

One thing I love is sweet potato and black bean chili - it's so rich, you don't even miss the meat (well, I didn't, anyway, and I love meat). It's my understanding that delicata squash subs fairly well for sweet potatoes.
I've been kissed by Pixie - for real!
beenie
Big Sister

Postby gypsy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:28 pm

I make a butternut squash gratin with spinach, cream, and Gruyere cheese at Thanksgiving. I love acorn squash sliced in half and the centers filled with brown sugar, maple syrup and butter and then baked in the oven. And I regularly slice up summer squash and zucchini, mix them with olive oil, herbs and seasonings, and oven-bake them on a sheet pan.
Breast cancer is a disease, not a marketing opportunity.
----------------------------
That Obama sticker on your car might as well say, "Yes, I'm Stupid".
----------------------------
Mangia e statte zitte.
gypsy
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby new cook » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:29 pm

Simply prepared winter squash — roasted with a little s&p, with or without butter — is wonderful. Kabocha squash is particularly flavorful, and is so naturally sweet that imho it doesn't need any additional sugar.

Butternut squash soup is divine.

But my favorite dish prepared with squash is pumpkin ravioli in brown butter and crispy sage sauce.
Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-92)

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Jules » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:38 pm

Both my parents have incredible gardening skills so my sister and I grew up with stuffed squash, roasted squash, pureed, cheesed, breaded, fried, shredded, etc. *Blurp* :hand: *argh* :snooty:

chefshawn wrote:... spaghetti squash ... It ain't my beloved noodles, no matter what you do to it. It's "okay."

I've had spaghetti squash only once in my life where I actually wanted to eat a second bite. Alas the friend that made and served it is no longer among us. :(
I'm impressed ... and happy. Not "surprised" ... but happy.
I AM Queen of the Jammed!
Jules
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Steve G » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:36 pm

new cook wrote:Butternut squash soup is divine.

Amen !

I place chunks of butternut squash, tossed w/olive oil, pepper and a light
sprinkle of cinnamon, into the oven @400 and roast them until tender.

I then move the chunks to the Blendtec, add some heated vegetable stock,
cover the blender w/a towel and pulse a few times. After I have the right
amount of liquid, I press the SOUP button and 90 seconds later, I have the
best squash soup I've ever made. :whistle:
Steve G
Lieutenant Commander Briner

Postby carla » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:55 pm

^5 to the soup, Steve!
It's the easiest and best 3-4 ingredient meal or dish I've ever made. Squash, veg or chicken broth, and curry and/or onions, one or both, pureed.
ETA: "fancy" is sauteeing the onions and curry. I have no problem simmering the onions with the squash and skipping the curry. Just depends on the laziness factor. Real fancy is roasting the squash and onions; guess I'd then sprinkle with a curry. I rarely turn on the oven to cook for one, so that means simmering the squash in stock.

I love Butternut and/or Hubbard squash. I like Acorn, but it has some strings in it. Many more I need to experiment with. No sweetener here either, it already is. I like the sweet/salty combo; I have to hold off on the butter. I'm all for the cinnamon; adding it to meat is a bit of an Eastern European thing, I think. Oh, Greek too, no?
Last edited by carla on Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby thatchairlady » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:10 pm

Pumpkin story fro sweet SIL. Her sister was WELL into teens (60+ now) and decided to make a pumpkin pie from a real pumpkin. She made the pie from the stuff she scooped out of the center... after picking out all the seeds... all that stringy stuff!?! Her Dad, being a very tolerant person... said it was fine??
thatchairlady
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:12 pm

I've found squash ravioli to be too sweet, but I have not been to the "best" Italian restaurant in my town, nor have I made it.
And new cook's been to Spago. :mrgreen:
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby chefshawn » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:29 am

I haven't been to Spago's, either, but I'm usually let down by butternut squash ravioli. I want more stuffing!

Now, let's try it manicotti style, with a sausage-worth of filling, maybe rolled up in slices of blanched eggplant?

Oh, and extra browned butter sage sauce.

chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby sadiedog » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:48 am

This recipe I found online from Smitten Kitchen

http://smittenkitchen.com/2007/11/pumpkin-waffles/

I made some adjustments to it to make it mine, including using the fresh puree that I had on hand, addition of 1/2 cup of the brown sugar, the addition of vanilla and removal of the cloves. I wanted a waffle that was less like pumpkin pie and more like pumpkin. They are slightly sweet and fantastic with a tiny bit of real maple syrup. They are also fantastic as is.

Pumpkin Waffles
Adapted from several sources

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 large eggs, separated
2 cups well-shaken buttermilk
1 cup canned solid-pack pumpkin
3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter, melted
Vegetable oil for brushing waffle iron or cooking spray

Preheat oven to 250°F and preheat waffle iron. Sift together flour, brown sugar, baking powder and soda, salt, and spices. Whisk egg yolks in a large bowl with buttermilk, pumpkin, and butter until smooth. Whisk in dry ingredients just until combined.

In a mixing bowl with a whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites until they hold soft peaks. Fold them gently into the waffle batter, until just combined.

Brush waffle iron lightly with oil and spoon batter (about 2 cups for four 4-inch Belgian waffles – 1/3 cup on each side of the waffle maker if you have the regular rectangular iron) into waffle iron, spreading quickly. Cook according to manufacturer’s instructions.

Transfer waffles to rack in oven to keep warm and crisp. Make more waffles in same manner.
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby sadiedog » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:48 am

Pumpkin Bread

11 Tbs room temp butter (salted)
2 2/3 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs
1 can or (16 oz) pumpkin (If using canned and it is pretty dry – add 1/3 cup water)
3 1/3 cups All Purpose flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp table salt
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground all spice
½ tsp ground ginger (go easy, this is strong stuff)
1.) Preheat oven to 350º.

2.) Grease two 9x5x3 inch loaf pans and set aside.

3.) In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together with a hand mixer until light and fluffy.

4.) Add in the eggs and pumpkin (and water if applicable). Mix until thoroughly combined.

5.) In another bowl, add the flour, baking soda and baking powder. Mix well.

6.) Dump the wet ingredients on top of the dry. With a spatula, mix the batter together until it just comes together. You may see a few small bits of flour but 99% of the batter will be well mixed. This is fine, just don’t have large chunks of flour. Over mixing leads to a lot of gluten formation, gluten makes the bread tough. We want fluffy and moist, not a door stop.

7.) Pour equal amounts of batter in each loaf pan. Level with the spatula.

8.) Place in the center of a 350º oven, leaving about 2 inches around each pan and the sides of the oven.

9.) Bake for 70 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. I rotated the pans after 35 minutes to promote even baking and browning.

10.) After baking, leave in pan for 10 minutes before removing and completely cooling on a rack.
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby sadiedog » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:51 am

I suppose I should add some commentary instead of just posting recipies. I adore butternut squash ravioli with sage butter.

I do notice that I like my squash without extra sugars added. Roasting them then adding a little butter is my favorite way to eat just about any squash.

I've made a spaghetti squash frittata, but man that recipe needs work. The squash is way to moist for the recipe as is and it made a gloopy mess. Tasted ok though.
---------------
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby Chef Mongo » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:39 am

This one's going well ... leaving it up for the weekend!
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Postby chefshawn » Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:30 am

Chef Mongo wrote:This one's going well ... leaving it up for the weekend!

Slacker...

chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby okbye » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:51 am

I haven't made it myself in some time but when I was a kid my mom would make 'dinner in a pumpkin' once in awhile. You brown ground beef, add rice and seasonings and water and maybe some veggies if you want, put it in a cleaned pumpkin and bake until the pumpkin is cooked. Sounds kinda weird but it's really good.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby nolafoodie » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:04 pm

new cook wrote:Kabocha squash is particularly flavorful, and is so naturally sweet that imho it doesn't need any additional sugar.

Love, love, LOVE kabocha! :D Again, cut into cubes and roasted, it's amazing.
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:06 pm

chefshawn wrote:I haven't been to Spago's, either, but I'm usually let down by butternut squash ravioli. I want more stuffing!

Now, let's try it manicotti style, with a sausage-worth of filling, maybe rolled up in slices of blanched eggplant?

Oh, and extra browned butter sage sauce.

You are definitely on to something. Are you gonna try it?
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby tj » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:07 pm

Dinner in a pumpkin sounds really good, especially if you have kids visiting.

For older appetites, I can think of all kids of goodies to fill it with.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby tj » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:09 pm

I wonder if kobucha squash is what the Thai place uses for "pumpkin" curry. Incredibly good! I usually have it with shrimp.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:19 pm

tj wrote:I wonder if kobucha squash is what the Thai place uses for "pumpkin" curry. Incredibly good! I usually have it with shrimp.

I've never had pumpkin curry (how I ever let myself miss out, I don't know), but if the stuff you had is kind of starchy, with an creamy, almost potato-like texture, then that's probably kabocha. :)
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Return to QoTD