[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - QOTD 10/1: Homemade Halloween

QOTD 10/1: Homemade Halloween

Daily Question of the Day

Moderator: okbye

QOTD 10/1: Homemade Halloween

Postby Chef Mongo » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:39 am

If it wouldn't get you investigated by all the local authorities for potentially trying to poison all the chilluns, what homemade goodie would you hand out for Halloween?
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Re: QOTD 10/1: Homemade Halloween

Postby LucyLu » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:45 am

M&Ms cookies. Essentially a chocolate chip cookie, but with M&Ms instead of chocolate chips. They are amazing! Even better when made with Peanut Butter M&Ms!!
Lucy

~The GEFP official Ace of Cakes~
LucyLu
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby DitsyD » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:47 am

Popcorn balls and apples.
"Setting an example is not the main means of influencing another, it is the only means." ~Albert Einstein
"Life is too short to make crust for uncertain pies."~Wendy McClure
If looks could kill, women wouldn't need frying pans.
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.
DitsyD
Admiral Briner

Postby chefshawn » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:05 pm

You know, I love the fact that there has NEVER been a documented case of tainted Halloween candy, yet there is so much 'fear' out there. I mean, I plan to use that excuse when my kids bring home their stashes, but still.

I'd like to make AB's caramels, and booze shooters for the parents.
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby Butterbean » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:13 pm

I actually did this once, back when the kids were little & I had energy

Witch's Hands
Clear plastic gloves
Candy Corn
Popcorn

Place a candy corn in each finger/ thumb of the glove (for fingernals); fill glove with popcorn & secure.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby tj » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:20 pm

I'd like to do what we did when I was about eight. My mother did a whole Halloween buffet.

We were living in an apartment with the front door at the base of a long stairway. The ceiling must have been 20 feet tall so all that was necessary to make it spooky was to turn out the lih=ghts and let the stairs look like they were going into who knows where.

Just inside the door she set up a table and decorated with lots of orange and black and candles, probably a jack-o-lantern if I remember right. Apples, popcorn balls, Bowls of candy corn and jelly beans--unwrapped if you can imagine that. Cider, cookies, and I think homemade fudge. The kids could gorge and grab. It was a one stop stomach ache and looked really neat.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby thatchairlady » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:59 pm

One year, previous neighbor was sick & tired of the up/down/up/down of stairs every time the door bell rang. He was an art teacher and had brought some unclaimed student projects at the end of the year... some pretty neat, life-sized gargoyles, goblins, and other creatures in paper mache. Used a few of his blue boat tarps to kinda hide usual junk in on side of his garage. Got his kids to make "people", but stuffing clothes with newspaper and seating them in lawn chairs in the scene. Had strobe and black lights going and eerie music playing. Set up a table with a BIG bowl of assorted candy with a sign... take one. THEN he made himself part of the scene... all comfy in a chair with a hat down over his eyes. Just as the kids were about to take candy, he'd jump out of the chair and scare the stuff outta them. I knew I had a crowd coming to me next by the SCREAMS!!
thatchairlady
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Beet cupcakes with avocado frosting -- and I might actually attempt it for the kids' Halloween party. :)
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby Wanda Woman » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:26 pm

I remember one time when I was a wee Wonder, the lady across the street made Halloween cupcakes for the neighborhood kids she knew. Wonder Sis and I went to her door to trick-or-treat and she gave us each a decorated cupcake. She told us to take it straight home and tell Wonder Mom they were from her.

I felt very special.
Wanda Woman
Admiral Briner

Postby Catherine » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:01 am

Halloween "eyes", basically a variant of peanut butter balls, dipped in white chocolate.
Catherine
Admiral Briner

Postby LucyLu » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:43 am

Wanda Woman wrote:I remember one time when I was a wee Wonder, the lady across the street made Halloween cupcakes for the neighborhood kids she knew. Wonder Sis and I went to her door to trick-or-treat and she gave us each a decorated cupcake. She told us to take it straight home and tell Wonder Mom they were from her.

I felt very special.

A neighbor friend did this for me one year. Likewise I felt very special. Way better then another kitkat bar . . .
Lucy

~The GEFP official Ace of Cakes~
LucyLu
Vice Admiral Briner

Return to QoTD