[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - QOTD 10/9: Good Eats go-to

QOTD 10/9: Good Eats go-to

Daily Question of the Day

Moderator: okbye

QOTD 10/9: Good Eats go-to

Postby new cook » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:41 pm

(Hope no one minds me barging in here but we haven't had a fresh QOTD since last Wednesday.)

Some of us have Good Eats DVDs, some of have saved episodes through other means, and then there are the transcripts on this website. If there are any Good Eats shows you refer back to for recipes or technique, which ones do you find yourself referring to the most?
Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-92)

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Re: QOTD 10/9: Good Eats go-to

Postby DanC » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:44 pm

I've been known to stop and watch the omelette show to brush up... among others

but for recipes, by far, the winner is the no backyard babyback ribs from AB's first book.
DanC
Admiral Briner

Postby thatchairlady » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:56 pm

Have used AB's baby back ribs recipe/method several times. Each time have made some minor changes in the liquid part that goes in the packet. First time I made them, found the rub a little too salty for my taste, so cut back on amount. Really like how MOST of the cooking needs NO tending to. Every time I've cooked ribs this way, they have ALWAYS come out great.
thatchairlady
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby vickatina » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:30 pm

Most of the cookie recipes.

At Christmastime, I get requests for the pinwheels and the gingersnaps.
"I'm not a stalker, I'm an unpaid private investigator." ;)

The GEFP Roving Reporter
vickatina
Vice Admiral Briner

Location: Well, we're living here in Allentown (actually, just a bit north)

Postby chefshawn » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:54 pm

meatloaf
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby Butterbean » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:55 pm

Thanks for taking the initiative, NC!

Even though I plan to move on to the dry brine for turkey, I must say that brining was the AB game changer for me. And since I only do turkey once a year, I do go back to the method every time. I never taped the shows or bought the DVD's, so must depend on the written word or catching a televised episode. I don't have a salt thingy either.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby sadiedog » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:17 pm

Fried chicken - although I use the technique for all my frying
Baby back ribs
Baked mac & cheese
Fruitcake
Angel food cake

The most important thing I have learned from AB is technique. Pretty much exclusively. Opens up the whole world of recipes...even the badly written ones.

Most of my other recipes come from America's Test Kitchen.
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby TessB » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:15 am

AB's pancakes, French Toast and I brined my first turkey last Thanksgiving and everyone raved about it. So I will be doing it again this year probably. Oh and a marinade for beef from his first cookbook
A day without cannolis is like a day without sunshine- Phil Rizzuto
Why do people park on a driveway and drive on a parkway?- George Carlin
Nobody puts Baby in the corner- Johnny Castle(Patrick Swayze-Dirty Dancing)
TessB
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Slamdunkpro » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:24 pm

Choux Shine is about my only GE reference left.I don't do Choux all that often and it's a good refresher.

(Not a big fan of oven steamed ribs) :mrgreen:
No Clicky Blind Linky's!
There is no problem that can’t be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order
I've been kissed by Pixie!
Slamdunkpro
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby chefshawn » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:15 pm

"Slam doesn't always do Choux puffs...but when he does, he prefers Alton's..."
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby Gipper » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:53 am

Alton's Chocolate Lava Muffins--with a slight modification--are what I make if I want to impress a lady.
Gipper
Vice Admiral Briner

Return to QoTD