[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - QOTD 11/01: How many?

QOTD 11/01: How many?

Daily Question of the Day

Moderator: okbye

QOTD 11/01: How many?

Postby Chef Mongo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:00 pm

So, how many are you expecting for Thanksgiving this year? Do you have an "open door" policy for late additions? Do you invite nonrelatives who may not have anywhere else to feast?
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Re: QOTD 11/01: How many?

Postby tj » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:42 pm

I fear I shall be roped into the usual guest role. There will be 6-8 and it is likely to be a tension fest with the hostess telling me that I shouldn't eat this or shouldn't eat that much of that.

If I wanna do a diabetic coma for the day, it's my privilege!

Would just as soon stay home.

In the old days, when the horse knew the way to Grandmother's house, we never had fewer than 14 and often more. We made sure no one in the neighborhood was forgotten and always had space for one more. My Grandfather was in his Norman Rockwell glory. Some of the best days of my life.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:51 pm

Chef Mongo wrote:So, how many are you expecting for Thanksgiving this year? Do you have an "open door" policy for late additions? Do you invite nonrelatives who may not have anywhere else to feast?

Like, 40, for a big potluck. Absolutely, though we usually end up waiting for whomever's running late, then making plates for whomever we know is coming later. Sometimes, depending on who's hosting. ;)
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby LucyLu » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:19 pm

I'm not sure where I'll end up this year. All of my "usual" commitments are either traveling for the holiday or are otherwise engaged. I may do something I've always wanted to do: make a small Thanksgiving meal, 2 or 3 dishes, and stay home all day and eat by myself. Seriously, with how busy I am, some alone time sounds nice.
Lucy

~The GEFP official Ace of Cakes~
LucyLu
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:10 pm

Due to lack of family in the area, our at-home Thanksgivings have always been immediate family, although walk-ins are always welcome. Since my kiddos have become adults & been either out of town or had plans, I've frequently been a guest at friends' homes. This year, Butter Jr is making noises about Thanksgiving with her boyfriend's family, which is nice since the relationship looks serious & I have to meet them eventually, but scary, since she's indicated the mom is a terrible cook. We shall see.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Steve G » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:45 pm

Just the two of us.

We're visiting parts of the family the weekend before and
visiting other parts of the family a few weeks later, due
to multiple, conflicting schedules.

We're investigating service opportunities.
Steve G
Lieutenant Commander Briner

Postby chefshawn » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:17 pm

I am really hoping for several big family dinners. Hopefully at least one and a half.

I have lots of reasons to be thankful, and I expect to be too tired to feed a lot of folks in a few weeks. I'd just like to contribute a couple of things, and enjoy a nice evening with my family, and it'd be great if Cooper would behave, too.
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:27 pm

I'm serving dinner at the Northwestern Settlement House along with my husband, oldest daughter (home on break) and youngest son on Tuesday for about 500 people. It's such a great night, meeting all the people we help throughout the year with our fundraising efforts. Then on Thursday, we're having about 15 for dinner. I make the turkeys, stuffing, cranberries, veggies and desserts. My mom brings sweet potato casserole and the mashed white potatoes. Yum.
"USE BUTTER" Nana
In Heaven 8/22/2008

I used to be calm, fun and nice. Now, I can't get enough wine.

http://https://www.facebook.com/sucrebaker
Diane
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby thatchairlady » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:33 pm

As a kid... probably 20+ and usually in my grandparent's smallish house with TEENY kitchen. Definitely had a "kids" table or 2 for overflow.

Don't have to cook the whole meal... just have to show up with my sweet potatoes. And make gravy... house full of ADULTS who don't know what to do with all that good brown stuff in bottom of pan?? Probably about 8-10 people... including several WHINY kids that I'm NO relation to, so can't tell them what to do?!? BUT I know it'll be a great meal and wouldn't miss it for the world!
thatchairlady
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby vickatina » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:50 pm

For my family, Thanksgiving was the ONE holiday where EVERYONE found a way to be together.

As a little kid, we would go to my Great-Grandmothers house..Aunts, Uncles, cousins, neighbors, friends. At least 40 people in various parts of the house, lunch was at 12..then leftovers all day. Eat what you want.

As an adult, we have the next generation of Aunts, Uncles, cousins, etc. So we are at about the same numbers. (Approx. 40 or so). Rules are the same...if you want to bring something, that's cool..lunch at 12, leftovers all day.

A couple of years ago, my mom rented the Community Hall in her neighborhood. We had 80 people. Hubby and I cooked 12, 12lb turkeys, round the clock, starting on the Tuesday before.

This year, I think we're looking at 20-30.
"I'm not a stalker, I'm an unpaid private investigator." ;)

The GEFP Roving Reporter
vickatina
Vice Admiral Briner

Location: Well, we're living here in Allentown (actually, just a bit north)

Postby captnhoney » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:47 am

It will be just the 3 of us but I wouldn't mind of anyone came here to eat or anything.
captnhoney
Commander Briner

Postby Chef Mongo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:15 pm

I haven't been able to say this in a while, but I am proud to say it: Any Briner who shows up at my door on Thanksgiving will be given a seat, a plate and as much as he or she can plow into. Seriously. Any of y'all get a wild hair and want a Mongo Thanksgiving, come on!
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Postby Myrealana » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:19 am

We will be at my brother's house again this year. His wife has declared that Thanksgiving is now at their house, and frankly the rest of us are glad to be out of the hosting business.

Immediate family alone accounts for 13-14, depending on whether her little brother brings a date. Then there are always a few friends. We may be up to 20 or more.

It's never tense. No one worries about other people's diets or blood sugar or anything. We all just bring a dish or two and we have a wonderful meal and a great time. My brother does the turkey, and he usually makes this amazing butternut squash and green chile soup that is the highlight of the meal.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby moonablaze » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:04 am

this was discussed at dinner tonight. Usually I'm with mom whether or not she's hosting. Last few years we've been co-hosts to a pot-luck style meal at her friend's house with around 10 people. This year she's hosting (an early estimate) 20 people at her boyfriend's place. But my boyfriend also wants to spend time with his family AND I'll be working a short day as well. So my day will likely involve several meals and a LOT of driving.
A good cook is a sorceress who dispenses happiness.
- Elsa Schiapirelli

"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." -Doug Larson
moonablaze
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Kamidanshir » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:18 am

This thread is as good a place as any for the traditional posting of Marney's letter...
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Kamidanshir
Dread Pirate Briner

Postby haleoalau » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:08 pm

heh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... gWFWloosog (language NSFW)

It will be at Mom's this year. Some of my BIL's family will be there this year, so maybe 20 of us. We've always had an open door if no one has a place to go and if we know someone is going to be late, we'll hold dinner. However, if we also know that someone is constantly tardy, but they didn't courtesy call...we won't wait.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
haleoalau
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:18 pm

Kamidanshir wrote:This thread is as good a place as any for the traditional posting of Marney's letter...

The funny thing is I used to know a Marney and would not put it past her to have written such a letter. :think:
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby Cheez-Wiz » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:43 pm

Small intimate affair with spousal unit and my dad.
Just finished ordering fresh bird from my butcher. Getting extra quarters this year for making stock.
Cheez-Wiz
Commander Briner

Postby Kinsley » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:07 pm

Probably just my son and me.
He doesn't like turkey.
We'll have crab cakes,
or maybe crab burritos.

The Artist formerly known as BigCrab

"They were so preoccupied with what they could do, that they didn't
think about whether they should.''
- Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park .

"You can't always get what you want; but if you try sometimes,
you just might find, you get what you need."
- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Postby tj » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:15 pm

May I join you in spirit, Kinsley?

Kinsley-style crab cakes sounds like reason for thanksgiving!
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:37 pm

Kinsley wrote:
crab burritos.

That sounds phenomenal!
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby Kinsley » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:48 am

tj wrote:May I join you in spirit, Kinsley?
Kinsley-style crab cakes sounds like reason for thanksgiving!
Crabs, no matter how they are prepared, are definitely a
reason for thanksgiving. Nothing unusual about my crab
cakes. Despite years of trying, I had never gotten the hang
of making them stay together until I learned the secret of
using bread soaked in milk instead of bread crumbs from
Party Flavor

nolafoodie wrote:
Kinsley wrote:crab burritos.
That sounds phenomenal!
As it turned out, my daughter who lived in Mexico for
for a couple years, turned up too. She made guacamole
and salsa to go with my burritos... (a simple mixture of
crabmeat, sauteed sweet peppers and crumbled bacon,
with a bit of a mild cream sauce and jack cheese in a
warm flour tortilla). She also made a wonderful apple
pie. With a Caesar salad made with my croutons, which
I admit are way too good, it was quite a little feast.

Don't ask how I stumbled on this old thread :lol:

The Artist formerly known as BigCrab

"They were so preoccupied with what they could do, that they didn't
think about whether they should.''
- Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park .

"You can't always get what you want; but if you try sometimes,
you just might find, you get what you need."
- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Return to QoTD