[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - QOTD 11/14: Brrrrrrr!

QOTD 11/14: Brrrrrrr!

Daily Question of the Day

Moderator: okbye

QOTD 11/14: Brrrrrrr!

Postby Jules » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:23 am

Heavy banket? Hot beverage? Snuggling? Spicy food? Exercise?

What's your go-to means of keeping warm in the Winter months? (Or are you more the "I'm never cold" type?)
I'm impressed ... and happy. Not "surprised" ... but happy.
I AM Queen of the Jammed!
Jules
Vice Admiral Briner

Re: QOTD 11/14: Brrrrrrr!

Postby Kamidanshir » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:54 am

I won't say I never get cold, but it's gotta be in the mid teens or below before I really feel it and reach for the extra blankets. Anything above that and I just enjoy the sensation of not being miserably hot.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Kamidanshir
Dread Pirate Briner

Postby Jules » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:40 pm

Answering my own query, I am constantly cold. It has nothing to do with where I live and everything to do with my naturally low blood pressure ... combined with the prescription I take daily to lessen the occurrences, durations, and effects of my cluster migraines :roll: . I wear sweaters and jackets well into May, sleep under the heaviest blanket I can find throughout the year (which PF kindly tolerates), and it’s a rare occasion that I don’t have a very hot hot chocolate within reach. If I’m too warm, I can always cool down – but once I’m cold, I find it near impossible to get warm.
I'm impressed ... and happy. Not "surprised" ... but happy.
I AM Queen of the Jammed!
Jules
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Parrothead » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:45 pm

Sweatpants and socks around the house. My wife disagrees but I'm betting she's beginning 'the change'. She's always warm.
"If our lives were that simple we'd live in the past..."
Parrothead
Admiral Briner

Postby Wanda Woman » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:06 pm

Like Jules, I feel chilly if the temp goes below 70 degrees. Once the frigid SoCal winter hits, I sleep in flannel PJs on flannel sheets with an electric blanket and comforter on me. I sleep with socks AND slippers on my feet and a pair of socks on my hands (no, not gloves, socks). The central heater is set to 70 degrees (I'd set it higher, but the Boy Wonder says he'll burst into flames). I wear a scarf and gloves almost all winter (gloves with the fingers cut off while computering at work). I wouldn't last a day in a Minneapolis winter.
Wanda Woman
Admiral Briner

Postby Chef Mongo » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:34 pm

It's 41 degrees outside and I'm naked.

(Seriously, I'm rarely cold. Tina likes that, because she can always lay cold hands on my neck to warm 'em up.)
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Postby okbye » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:48 pm

With no insulation in my house and the doggie door in my room it gets cold in here. The other day it was 59 when I got up in the morning so the heat is on now at 63. I also put the electric mattress pad on the bed the other day. That works pretty well with a heavy blabket keeping the heat in but if it gets too cold I have an electric blanket too. Right now I'm wearing sweats but it will get hot in the afternoon, I hate this time of year.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby n8urebabe » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:52 pm

I do live in Texas so I don't have to deal with seriously cold weather most of the time. I do feel cold often anyway. Since I have borderline high blood pressure and plenty of insulation, I'm guessing not enough exercise is my problem. I have a "snuggie" shawl that I use regularly. It's the same basic material but it's a shawl with pockets. The material doesn't breathe very well so it keeps me quite warm. I have a comforter, blanket and jersey sheets on the bed year round. Hubby usually just flips the blanket & comforter over to my side of the bed. I keep the thermostat set at 68 during the day and wear the shawl. Just before it's time to get up, I have it set for 72 so I can stand to get out of my warm bed. :lol:
Dawn
Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Harriet Van Horne

The act of giving is more important than the merit of the receiver.

Luke: I'll bring back brownies.
Lorelai: Ooh, the pouting has left the building.

n8urebabe
Admiral Briner

Postby tj » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:05 pm

Na8urebabe, maybe you should ask Santa for an automatic thermostat for Christmas. It is so nice to wake up to warm and not have to think about it.

For those of you who are often cold, have you tried the lightweight outdoor underwear? Actually there are several weights. You can find it at REI and such places. Pricey, but it would be worth it if you are always cold.

I have the house at 67 and add long sleeved t-shirts and flannel shirts and socks and blankets as needed. Am always glad when the spring comes, but I hate the hot summer.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby new cook » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:07 pm

Wanda Woman wrote:Like Jules, I feel chilly if the temp goes below 70 degrees. Once the frigid SoCal winter hits, I sleep in flannel PJs on flannel sheets with an electric blanket and comforter on me. I sleep with socks AND slippers on my feet and a pair of socks on my hands (no, not gloves, socks). The central heater is set to 70 degrees (I'd set it higher, but the Boy Wonder says he'll burst into flames). I wear a scarf and gloves almost all winter (gloves with the fingers cut off while computering at work). I wouldn't last a day in a Minneapolis winter.

This is me.

If it's just a bit chilly and I'm hanging around the house, I wear a fleece or down vest. I can't stand being all bundled up when indoors and trying to get things done, it feels much too constricting, so a vest keeps the internal organs toasty and lets the blood flow to the extremities, making me feel less cold.

If it gets colder than that and I can't seem to warm up, I wear a knit cap. Actually, covering my head is one of the best ways for me to stay warm, whether inside or outdoors. There is a reason you saw pictures depicting people wearing night caps to bed in olden days before central heating was invented. For sleeping, a second pillow covering the top of my head will work, too.

When the weather really turns frigid I wear thermal underwear, especially if I'll be spending a lot of time outdoors. Also a must for outdoors: hat, scarf, and gloves.

And if I'm somewhere where it's below 30°? I <3 those hand and foot warmers you can get at sporting goods stores.
Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-92)

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby new cook » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:11 pm

tj wrote:Na8urebabe, maybe you should ask Santa for an automatic thermostat for Christmas. It is so nice to wake up to warm and not have to think about it.

I hate a cold bathroom in the morning, so I plugged a small electric room heater into an automatic timer, the kind used for lamps. It goes off about 1/2 hour before I get up, so by the time I hit the bathroom to take a shower it's nice and toasty.
Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Kamidanshir » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:22 pm

new cook wrote:If it gets colder than that and I can't seem to warm up, I wear a knit cap. Actually, covering my head is one of the best ways for me to stay warm, whether inside or outdoors. There is a reason you saw pictures depicting people wearing night caps to bed in olden days before central heating was invented. For sleeping, a second pillow covering the top of my head will work, too.

I'm not accusing you of repeating the "45% of heat loss is through the head" myth here, but your comment jogged my memory of having read that that was debunked a few years ago.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul
Kamidanshir
Dread Pirate Briner

Postby carla » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:56 pm

I sometimes turn the heat on to warm up the bedroom when it really gets cold, for S. CA. I have electric wall heaters; they are very rarely used. My energy costs are under $20 month; well under $40 when/if it gets cold. I also have a ceiling fan in the dining room, so the living room will warm up in 10-15 minutes. I wear sweaters and fuzzy boots and have lap blankets for tv watching. I put a second, light quilt on my bed a couple of nights ago, that did the trick. Sadly, my bedroom window is now jammed closed; I cannot muscle it open, dammit. Going to go try again. And I feel bad about my cat; I need to buy or make an igloo bed for her.
Yay, Yes! window is open. and I have knit caps too. :-)
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby todd » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:10 pm

WOODSTOVE! 8)
todd
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby n8urebabe » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:20 pm

tj wrote:Na8urebabe, maybe you should ask Santa for an automatic thermostat for Christmas. It is so nice to wake up to warm and not have to think about it.

It's programmed into the thermostat. It's usually set for 68 but I have the program set to 72 just before I usually get up in the morning so it's warm when I need to get out of the bed. :)
Dawn
Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Harriet Van Horne

The act of giving is more important than the merit of the receiver.

Luke: I'll bring back brownies.
Lorelai: Ooh, the pouting has left the building.

n8urebabe
Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:28 pm

Right now, my heater needs attention, & it got unusually chilly for November in DE (high in the 50's today). The bedroom is good, but the living room is drafty. Blankets in the bedroom solve the problem & I use a down throw on the couch when watching TV & using the 'puter. Only problem is if I get too cozy, I fall asleep.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby new cook » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:40 pm

Kamidanshir wrote:
new cook wrote:If it gets colder than that and I can't seem to warm up, I wear a knit cap. Actually, covering my head is one of the best ways for me to stay warm, whether inside or outdoors. There is a reason you saw pictures depicting people wearing night caps to bed in olden days before central heating was invented. For sleeping, a second pillow covering the top of my head will work, too.

I'm not accusing you of repeating the "45% of heat loss is through the head" myth here, but your comment jogged my memory of having read that that was debunked a few years ago.

I know it's been debunked, but it does work for me. And I was doing it long before ever hearing about it before it was debunked. :)

ETA: Kam, I looked up that link and am thinking that perhaps the fact that, being as sensitive to cold weather as I am, perhaps when it's cold and everything else is covered, my exposed head is still cold.

On the other hand, my head is simply sensitive to temperature extremes. I've noticed that when others have no problem being out in the sun at high noon on a hot, sunny day, I need to look for shade because it feels like the sun's rays are boring right through my scalp and it can be quite painful. Wearing a loose or airy hat helps, but nothing too warm or my whole body will start to overheat.

I dunno, maybe I'm just weird. :?

-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:35 pm

Butterbean wrote:Only problem is if I get too cozy, I fall asleep.

I sleep a lot more in the winter, especially in the morning. It is SO HARD to get out of that heated bed in the morning.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby nolafoodie » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:03 am

My extremities get really cold, so when I'm home, it's usually thick socks on my feet and a warm cup of coffee in my hands. Outside, I usually wear closed shoes and socks, but my hands suffer a lot. If temps drop anywhere below 60, my hands freeze (sometimes it happens when I'm just passing by the freezer section at a supermarket, and no, I don't think it's Raynaud's, because my fingers don't turn white or blue, just really, really cold). Heck, it's 70 degrees in the house right now, and my hands and feet are positively icy. My solution is usually to keep my hands in my pockets whenever possible. It sure would be nice if "they" could bring back mid-century fashion, so that I could get away with wearing gloves all the time.
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Return to QoTD