[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - QOTD 11/26: Secret Santas!

QOTD 11/26: Secret Santas!

Daily Question of the Day

Moderator: okbye

QOTD 11/26: Secret Santas!

Postby Chef Mongo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:06 am

Of course you're ALL going to sign up for the umpteenth annual GEFP Secret Santa, right? Right?

So, what other Secret Santas, white elephants or similar exchanges do you join? What's the silliest white elephant gift you ever got? The coolest?
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Re: QOTD 11/26: Secret Santas!

Postby captnhoney » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:01 pm

This is teh only one I have been able to join and I have loved it every year.
captnhoney
Commander Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:32 pm

Chef Mongo wrote:Of course you're ALL going to sign up for the umpteenth annual GEFP Secret Santa, right? Right?

So, what other Secret Santas, white elephants or similar exchanges do you join? What's the silliest white elephant gift you ever got? The coolest?

For a while, my family had a fun holiday gift exchange that was organized by my sister and me. Unfortunately, after I had the triplets and she had a baby of her own, we've kind of let the endeavor die. :oops: It was a variation on "Dirty Santa," in which everyone draws numbers to determine the order of turns. At each turn, the participant can choose a gift from the gift table (no touching allowed -- if they touch an item, they must take it) or steal a gift from a previous participant, causing him/her to have to pick a gift from the table. The gifts would range from gags (e.g., weave) and duds (e.g., hemorrhoid cream) from the dollar store to some really good items. My sister and I used to get creative with misleading packaging/wrapping.

The silliest gift I ever got was toilet paper (though it did come in handy), and the coolest, oddly enough, was also toilet paper (with something written on it, and that's all I'll say about that!).
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:35 pm

I join a Christmas card exchange on the book message board I go to.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby chefshawn » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:21 pm

I'm hoping to have a "festivus" party in January with my church's young adults. I've planned a "regifting round robin", where each person brings the WORST gift they got for Christmas, and tries to get something marginally better, "dirty santa" style.
Official Keeper of the Cookbooks and Learner of New Things Daily

"but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
chefshawn
Big Brother

Postby moonablaze » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:47 am

It's my first year doing Reddit's secret santa, but I participated in their halloween exchange.
A good cook is a sorceress who dispenses happiness.
- Elsa Schiapirelli

"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." -Doug Larson
moonablaze
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Myrealana » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:27 am

I'm a Grinch. I don't participate in gift exchanges. I have had too many bad experiences in the past. I don't need more cheap junk, and I don't need more shopping to try and match a gift for someone I barely know.

Bah! Humbug.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Catherine » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:32 am

I used to do a card swap on a former message board. I've done LibraryThing's Secret Santa in the past. And have done it on here in the past. Not participating in anything this year, though. (apart from maybe doing something for a gypped Briner, if necessary) It will be enough of a challenge for me to get the tree up.

It can be fun if you are a solo like me, just to be able to open something on Christmas...
Catherine
Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:05 pm

^
I take it you mean open something other than your veins. :twisted: :lol:
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Catherine » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:42 am

Or the booze. :)
Catherine
Admiral Briner

Return to QoTD