[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - QOTD 12/4: Gift wrap!

QOTD 12/4: Gift wrap!

Daily Question of the Day

Moderator: okbye

QOTD 12/4: Gift wrap!

Postby Chef Mongo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:47 am

When it comes time to wrap gifts, what kind of wrapper are you? Do you approximate, cut and tape and consider it a success if the gift is hidden? Do you calibrate your paper exactly, slowly and carefully making each fold and using a minimum of tape? Do you add ribbons, bows, bells and other stuff?

Do you buy to-from cards or use pieces of scrap wrapping paper?

Do you just say the heck with it and use gift bags?
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Re: QOTD 12/4: Gift wrap!

Postby Butterbean » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:22 am

I'm basically a bag lady. Not only is it easier, but the bags cab be recycled. Also, having raised a boy, I learned early on that action figures can NOT be wrapped in a conventional way. I am an adequate conventional wrapper, though.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby haleoalau » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:31 am

I often use bags, but I love to gift wrap and sometimes get all fancy shmancy. I found some diamond plate gift wrap at the farm supply store that I really want to get.

I am a tape whore.

Because I love the tease of anticipation, I cruelly drag it on out Christmas morning via my mad taping skills. Bwahahahahahahahaha

Or used to - The Hub almost always has his leatherman with in reach and will readily slay the celluloid monster *grumble*

:lol: :lol:
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
haleoalau
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby vickatina » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:30 am

For me, it depends on time.

If I have the time, I can get all fancy-schmancy with a gift, adding ribbons, bows, etc.
If not, I do the gift bag thing.

If it's during the day and I'm not rushed or tired, then I will be more careful about the paper folding and the tape placement.
If it's midnight, Christmas Eve and I'm trying to get the last of the kids gifts done, I'm folding and taping however it takes to get the darn thing covered!
"I'm not a stalker, I'm an unpaid private investigator." ;)

The GEFP Roving Reporter
vickatina
Vice Admiral Briner

Location: Well, we're living here in Allentown (actually, just a bit north)

Postby Jules » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:30 am

I wouldn't say that I calibrate exactly but I do have a good eye for estimating how much wrap is needed. I don't use much tape because if I've estimated the wrap correctly, I won't need that much tape. I mostly use curling ribbon because the feline population seem to enjoy playing with it when presents are waiting under the tree. And I use to-from stickies (which I always seem to have year after year ... can't remember when I last needed to buy those).

I tend to put a decent amount of thought into gifts I give, and I like them to look nice when I distribute them.

(Interestingly, I read halealau's reply and noticed that I love the anticipation too but the "dragging it out" part is too tough for me to take :lol: )
I'm impressed ... and happy. Not "surprised" ... but happy.
I AM Queen of the Jammed!
Jules
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby n8urebabe » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:46 am

I use bags occasionally but mostly I wrap gifts. I am a tape miser. Just enough to keep it closed. I rarely use bows or ribbon. I can make a very pretty curlicue bow, I just don't do it very often. I have sticker to/from tags for gifts that I ship. I don't use tags at home because I don't want them to know which ones are theirs. :lol:
Dawn
Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. Harriet Van Horne

The act of giving is more important than the merit of the receiver.

Luke: I'll bring back brownies.
Lorelai: Ooh, the pouting has left the building.

n8urebabe
Admiral Briner

Postby Myrealana » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:25 pm

I wrap, but not with any kind of precision.

As for bows - with two inquisitive cats and an irrepresible German Shepherd in the house, those too often become "festive poo."

My mom goes all out with her wrapping. She uses different themes for each person, and designs fancy decorations for each package that would make Martha Stewart jealous. Flowers, beads and baubles, greenery, cloth ribbons, etc. Anything she can glue-gun onto a package.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby nolafoodie » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:43 pm

We have two big gift-giving holidays per year. I was always really into gift-wrapping, and used to stock up on pretty paper and toppers whenever I'd find them on sale at Tuesday Morning or the World Market. What a sucker I was (and still am) for handmade Indian paper, raffia, and "organic" toppers like flowers (real or artificial), pine cones, and fake produce. Unfortunately, my lifestyle has changed considerably, and I can no longer do that sort of thing. So I bag. I must admit, it's pretty cheap and easy. You go to the dollar store and find some pretty decent stuff. Add tissue and badabing-badaboom, you've got a presentable gift.

But I've recently descended down an even darker, lazier, cheaper path...

Having four kids, we receive a lot of gifts, and that includes a lot of gift bags. So, these days, I just reuse old gift bags. Except for one gift bag I bought last weekend because I didn't have the right size in my stash, I have not purchased any gift bags all year. The drawback is that when we show up at gatherings with gifts, ours are a hodgepodge of different-colored, different-themed bags. But, ghetto as it may be, the bags serve their purpose, and after the gifts are opened, nobody even cares what the packaging looked like.

After all, when you give someone a present, it's not about pretty paper and a bow. It's what's inside that counts. ;) (Just kidding.)
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:46 pm

I hate wrapping since I have't been able to get down on the floor. I used to be able to get my sister to do it but she has too damn many kids now and doesn't ever have time to help me. I wrap as simply as possible, and it rarely comes out neatly. I have to have one of those tape segment dispensers, or else you might just get it in a plastic grocery bag. I have about 5 of the wrist ones, they make wrapping bearable.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby thatchairlady » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:35 pm

Was never into big $ wrapping paper, when I did wrap gifts. Now everything goes in a cute bag... many are recycled for holidays and birthdays. Last year when I made bathes of assorted cookies, bought containers that could be used for something else afterward. Only decoration on those was a ribbon tied around... mostly to make sure lid was secured.
thatchairlady
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Wanda Woman » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:57 pm

I'm a gift wrapper. I think it's a much bigger thrill to rip the wrapping paper off a gift :dance: than it is to pull a gift out of a bag. :hand:

I make an afternoon or evening of wrapping Christmas presents. I gather the gifts, wrapping paper rolls, gift boxes, ribbons, the heavy tape dispenser (makes it much easier to use the tape), the big Fiskars scissors, and a bag for trash. Oh, and my gift wrap straight edge/cutter (love this thing!). I flip over one of the Boy Wonder's old tri-fold science fair display boards and put it on the floor for my work surface. I put on some Christmas tunes and mix up a few cocktails or toddies. I then plant myself on the floor and have myself a wrap party. I'm a pretty decent wrapper, use just the needed amount of tape (more for gifts that have to be sent), and use regular ribbon which I can tie into a nice bow and make the pretty V-cut ends. I use regular gift tags (I never seem to run out of them; how can that be?) and only occasionally add ornamentation to a package.

I actually look forward to my wrap parties.
Wanda Woman
Admiral Briner

Postby Slamdunkpro » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:02 pm

I've been known to use motocross decal vinyl to wrap gifts (good luck tearing that Muhahaha!)
No Clicky Blind Linky's!
There is no problem that can’t be solved with a liberal application of sex, tequila, money, or high explosives, not necessarily in that order
I've been kissed by Pixie!
Slamdunkpro
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby captnhoney » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:43 am

I have used the sunday comics as wrapping paper it is tradition in my house that at least 1 gift is wrapped like this especailly when someone gets a giant snoppy for christmas.
captnhoney
Commander Briner

Postby Charlene » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:40 pm

vickatina wrote:For me, it depends on time.

If I have the time, I can get all fancy-schmancy with a gift, adding ribbons, bows, etc.
If not, I do the gift bag thing.

If it's during the day and I'm not rushed or tired, then I will be more careful about the paper folding and the tape placement.
If it's midnight, Christmas Eve and I'm trying to get the last of the kids gifts done, I'm folding and taping however it takes to get the darn thing covered!

This.
~lifedramatic~

"An optimist is someone who goes after Moby Dick in a rowboat and brings the tartar sauce."
~Zig Ziglar
Charlene
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Esther C » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:29 am

Don't laugh. I spread out the wrapping paper on the floor, hold the gift up on one corner, and "roll" it across the paper in one direction, to measure how much paper's needed to cover THAT side. *THEN* I roll it up the *other* direction, to see how much is needed to fully cover it.

Presents are meaningful to me, and to the persons I *give them* to. (to whom I give them??) (to those I have chosen to be the recipients???)

The fact that I can't afford much makes the gifts that much more meaningful. :(

As always, I'm

"Out There"

~Esther C.
"Oooooh! You stabbed the *HOST*?
Not good.
BOOTED!" -Smoof Dust
Esther C
Lieutenant Briner

Return to QoTD