[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - QOTD 12/5: Gag gifts?

QOTD 12/5: Gag gifts?

Daily Question of the Day

Moderator: okbye

QOTD 12/5: Gag gifts?

Postby Chef Mongo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:51 am

Well, not actually gag GIFTS, but gag gift WRAPPING. Have you ever/do you ever do this? Do you wrap a brick in pretty paper? Do you rig up a jack-in-the-present? Empty boxes?

In my family, the "box trick" was a favorite, with progressively smaller boxes wrapped and put inside the next size bigger boxes until the final HUGE box was wrapped.
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Re: QOTD 12/5: Gag gifts?

Postby Jules » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:02 am

Not intentionally.
When my sister and I were younger, we didn't pay that much attention to what box we were using to wrap up Mom's sweater or Dad's gloves. So they were likely confused when they unwrapped their gift and the box said "Alpo" or "Valvoline". I gave my father "lumps of coal" one year - shiny licorice-flavored candy. Not just because of the name but because he really loves licorice.
I'm impressed ... and happy. Not "surprised" ... but happy.
I AM Queen of the Jammed!
Jules
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:52 pm

We might occasionally put something very small into a very big box or reuse something really inappropriate's box so you think for a minute you're getting a really crappy gift but that's about it. Back when VCRs were still kind of new I was out of the house but all the sibs were still at home and they didn't have one. They knew I had one. I gave them all videos and told them they could come over to my house to watch them. They were looking at me like I was nuts. Then I brought the box with the VCR in it in from the car. That's probably my biggest moment of creativity, I'm not terribly innovative.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby nolafoodie » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:04 pm

We've done the "box trick" every so often. And then there's the Dirty Santa game we do where we make good stuff look like crap, and crap look like good stuff.

But the best gift packaging gag I've ever witnessed was conducted by an uncle who bought a bag of walnuts, sawed (or pried?) open about half of them, replaced the nuts with cash (bills and change) in varying denominations, and then crazy-glued the shells closed. :)
nolafoodie
Admiral Briner

Postby Wanda Woman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:51 pm

A group of us pooled our funds to buy a wedding gift for a couple who were going to Europe for their honeymoon. The gift was some piece of crapola from the Dollar Store packed in a big box. The wrapping paper was about $300 in carefully taped together Euros. The gift bow was even made of Euros. The gal who did the "wrapping" is incredibly crafty. The thing was beautiful and the happy couple spent a couple of hours carefully separating the Euros. :lol:
Wanda Woman
Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:17 pm

Debbie Downer here:
I gave a very large shopping bag of bows, boxes, gift bags, ribbon, tissue paper and wrapping paper to my neighbor last year (not as a gag gift! but for use). I'd been collecting and using those materials for years. Nice to have something handy for year-round gifts, too. Some stuff I had to keep and reuse just because I liked it so much.
I'm just making a shout out for reusing and recycling. Comics are always good wrapping paper -- if anyone still gets a hard copy newspaper! :lol: I don't, but I sure did just make myself feel like a dinosaur.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby thatchairlady » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:43 pm

After my Dad was gone, we found a lot of odd things in his house that became annual gifts... passed around. A sad ceramic frog I made at day camp as a kid. A pair of big, fuzzy, brown mittens... worked well on feet to become a monkey. Those 2 and several more get re-gifted every year.

Several years ago, SIL was into ceramics... and did some really NICE stuff. Neice and I are on the hunt for some really BAD had-made ceramics for gag gifts for her. Last year, nephew (30+) have me a really BAD piece... a rabbit pulling a cart... a planter?? He REALLY got me, cuz he said he made it himself and it took a minute or 2 before he started laughing.
thatchairlady
Vice Admiral Briner

Return to QoTD