[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - QOTD 1/17/2013: Cereal Killer

QOTD 1/17/2013: Cereal Killer

Daily Question of the Day

Moderator: okbye

QOTD 1/17/2013: Cereal Killer

Postby LucyLu » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:44 pm

I'm sure we've covered this before, but its fun topic: What are your breakfast cereal habits? Hot? Cold? Only for breakfast? With fruit? How do you enjoy your favorite box?
Lucy

~The GEFP official Ace of Cakes~
LucyLu
Vice Admiral Briner

Re: QOTD 1/17/2013: Cereal Killer

Postby Myrealana » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:56 pm

I love cereal.

Oatmeal, Cream of Wheat, Frosted Flakes, Life, Cheerios, Grape Nuts, Honey Bunches of Oats...

When I was a kid, Life was the only sugary-added cereal my mom would let me get. On rare occasions, she would buy Lucky Charms or something like that, but then I could only have it for an after school snack.

I still like sweet cereals dry as a snack.

I also LOVE me some Hot Buttered O's.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby new cook » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:34 pm

Mostly oatmeal for me. The only packaged cold cereal I eat is organic raisin bran because I just love raisin bran. The rest don't appeal to me so much but every now and then I'll give one a try. So many of them are way too sweet, though, so that's why they don't appeal.

And then there's granola. I enjoy a really good granola with all its texture and variety of flavors, but again most are too sweet.

Cereal is a morning dish, but ocassionally, on some desperate nights when even heat 'n eat seems to troublesome, I'll pour a bowl of raisin bran for dinner.
Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-92)

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby Wanda Woman » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:54 pm

I have cereal for breakfast every morning. I mix about 3/4 of a bowl of Cheerios and top with Honey Nut Cheerios. I add some dried wild blueberries from Trader Joe's, a tablespoon of ground flaxseed, and top with vanilla almond milk.
Wanda Woman
Admiral Briner

Postby tj » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:16 pm

Mostly things like oatmeal, grits, cornmeal mush, shredded wheat, wheat chex, grapenuts, kashi is a luxury and overly sweet, thing on the fiber-ish side. Then I add a banana or have a piece of fruit.

Like buckwheat in pancakes, too! There is a GREAT waffle recipe at Rumson Baking Powder site that calls for all whole wheat flour. Think I will give it a try with buckwheat some time.
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby Marz Epan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:39 pm

Breakfast depends what time I wake up and how much time (after I get dressed and such) I have before needing to leave for work.

Weekday breakfast is usually a quick bowl of cereal or a protein shake.
Weekend breakfast could be eggs or french toast or some kind of casserole.

Coffee is a must, regardless of the day.

However, since I'm bachelorette-ing it now because of my husband's deployment, I am opting for quick and easy (read: lazy) options.
Marz Epan
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:43 pm

Breakfast is usually leftovers from the night before. I like cereal a lot but I can't handle a lot of grain fiber, most cereals give me bad gas so I don't eat them. I will occasionally indulge in a box anyway but then I only eat it in the evenings, bedtime snack maybe. Mini wheats are prettty much the only low sodium cereal so it's usually that, frosted strawbery or blueberry. I do love hot cereals, like malt-o-meal and cream of wheat. I will have those sometimes. I need protein in the morning though, not carbs, so even those are a later in the day thing.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby Butterbean » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:06 pm

I love oatmeal, but if I limit the field to box cereal, shredded wheat (regular or frosted mini) would be my first choice. When I was a kid & my dad did breakfast on school days, if it was cold, the shredded wheat had warm milk & butter, and in warm weather, cold milk & sugar.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Kinsley » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:29 pm

Old standards: Cheerios, Corn Flakes or Special K w/
a pack of Splenda, splash of 1 % milk
(can't handle blue milk)
and berries or sliced banana.

The Artist formerly known as BigCrab

"They were so preoccupied with what they could do, that they didn't
think about whether they should.''
- Ian Malcolm in Jurassic Park .

"You can't always get what you want; but if you try sometimes,
you just might find, you get what you need."
- Mick
Kinsley
Kindly Old Uncle

Postby vickatina » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:32 am

I am a sugary-cereal junkie!

Yes, I ate them as a kid, and I'm just continuing the tradition. :wink:

Frosted Flakes, Golden Grahams, Alpha-Bits, Cinnamon Toast Crunch..and others that I can't remember...

I also like to snack on Frosted Mini-Wheats any time of day. Love the strawberry ones.
"I'm not a stalker, I'm an unpaid private investigator." ;)

The GEFP Roving Reporter
vickatina
Vice Admiral Briner

Location: Well, we're living here in Allentown (actually, just a bit north)

Postby moonablaze » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:57 am

eggs. I don't do grains ;)
A good cook is a sorceress who dispenses happiness.
- Elsa Schiapirelli

"Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon." -Doug Larson
moonablaze
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Chef Mongo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:38 am

Normally, I'm a Honey Bunches of Oats/Cinnamon-Pecan Special K and the like guy.

But every once in a while, I gotta have me some Cap'n Crunch or, even better. COCOA PEBBLES!
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Postby captnhoney » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:51 pm

chex, cheerios, corn pops with milk and coffee
captnhoney
Commander Briner

Postby Norm357 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:43 pm

I do not like cold cereal. Blech. Breakfast has to have eggs and some type of pork product. Oh, and coffee. Oh, and a big ole glass of ice water.
Don't pity the rescue dog, adopt him. If he was human, he would be the one with stories to tell and books to write.

Any idiot can kill a shark. It takes a real man to catch one, kiss him on the head, and let him go.

Norm357
Admiral Briner

Postby carla » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:25 pm

I only eat it for dessert these years. Usually a flake, nut and cluster TJ's cereal. I love multi-grain hot cereals, also usually at night; don't like straight oatmeal. I prefer lunch or dinner-type food for breakfast, and breakfast for dinner. :lol: I have Quaker Simple Harvest oat, wheat & barley "maple" sugar & pecan instant, and "Better Oats Abundance" 6 grain cereal in the pantry right now. Better with a touch of milk.
I can't bite into toasted sandwiches or eat shredded wheat because they shred the inside or roof of mouth behind my front teeth and it's not worth the pain. I'd eat a patty melt with a knife and fork though.
Wow, I'm hungry.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby tj » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:03 pm

No grits, Norm?
tj
Admiral Briner

Postby Norm357 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:22 pm

tj wrote:No grits, Norm?

I assumed that went without sayin. :D
Don't pity the rescue dog, adopt him. If he was human, he would be the one with stories to tell and books to write.

Any idiot can kill a shark. It takes a real man to catch one, kiss him on the head, and let him go.

Norm357
Admiral Briner

Postby Steve G » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:29 pm

If I'm eating cold cereal, I'm eating Kashi Heart to Heart with All-Bran Buds,
a few tablespoons of ground flax, blueberries and a handful of almonds. I use
vanilla flavored unsweetened almond milk, maple sugar and a lot of cinnamon.
ImageImage

If I'm eating hot cereal, I'm eating TJ's steel cut oats mixed with a serving of
Country Choice Organic Hot MultiGrain Cereal, a few tablespoons of ground flax,
blueberries and a handful of almonds.I add a touch of maple syrup and a lot of
cinnamon.
ImageImage

Otherwise I'm eating scrambled eggs w/sauteed peppers, onions & spinach.
Steve G
Lieutenant Commander Briner

Postby carla » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:56 pm

Holy Moly! Check out the fanatics & reviews. :lol:
http://www.seriouseats.com/cereal_eats/

I don't like sugary cereals; I buy plain multi-grain flakes to mix in with boxed TJ's cereals. I want kasha! For breakfast too.

I have an extraordinary craving for CHEX of ANY kind now. The prices are absolutely ridiculous though.

And even though we did have Coco Puffs and Cap'n Crunch as kids, both of us loved Team flakes. I'd buy it online if it was still in production.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby EricE » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:20 am

carla wrote:I have an extraordinary craving for CHEX of ANY kind now. The prices are absolutely ridiculous though.

Costco had three packs (wheat, rice, corn) for making party mix - I was going to make party mix but ended up eating all the cereal instead :oops:

Thanks for reminding me - I'll have to go back and check to see if they still have 'em and get another box 'o three if they do.
Cannot run out of time. Time is infinite. You are finite. Zathras is finite. This is wrong tool.
EricE
Admiral Briner

Postby Chef Mongo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:19 pm

I WANT MY FRUITY FREAKIES, DAMMIT!
"Anything that makes your mother cry is fun." -- P. J. O'Rourke
Chef Mongo
Dad

Postby Butterbean » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:30 pm

Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby carla » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:37 pm

^ Thank you, Beurre. Makes my teeth hurt just thinking about it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby new cook » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:57 pm

Butterbean wrote:Image

Blast from the past! :lol:
Jokes of the proper kind, properly told, can do more to enlighten questions of politics, philosophy, and literature than any number of dull arguments.
-Isaac Asimov, scientist and writer (1920-92)

(I'm trying to avoid eating mammals. Not getting silly, I've redefined bacon as a spice)
-Kinsley
new cook
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby sadiedog » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:15 am

I really like Cracklin' Oat Bran - without milk. I mix in some nuts and dried fruit and it becomes a quick granola. (I need to make this and bring it to work)

Gosh, am I the only one here who doesn't normally eat breakfast? My gut does not tolerate food before 9 am, so if I want to be able to make the drive to work, I must wait. I have a mocha at work and by the time I get really hungry, it's lunch.

Weekends Josh makes breakfast. Egg sandwich and bacon.
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby vickatina » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:21 am

sadiedog wrote:...Gosh, am I the only one here who doesn't normally eat breakfast? My gut does not tolerate food before 9 am, so if I want to be able to make the drive to work, I must wait. I have a mocha at work and by the time I get really hungry, it's lunch.

You are not alone!

The cereal I mentioned in my post above, I often eat around 11:00am..if I'm home. If I'm at work, I don't eat till I've been there a few hours..just not really hungry/tummy not ready for food in the morning.
"I'm not a stalker, I'm an unpaid private investigator." ;)

The GEFP Roving Reporter
vickatina
Vice Admiral Briner

Location: Well, we're living here in Allentown (actually, just a bit north)

Postby Butterbean » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:00 pm

sadiedog wrote:Gosh, am I the only one here who doesn't normally eat breakfast? My gut does not tolerate food before 9 am, so if I want to be able to make the drive to work, I must wait. I have a mocha at work and by the time I get really hungry, it's lunch.bacon.

Not alone at all, but the original question was about cereal & it meandered into breakfast.

Below is what one of our classic cereals is called in Australia...

Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby sadiedog » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:00 pm

Ok, now I don't feel so weird. :)
GES Chickeny Hands Resident Blond(e)/Dense Member
---------------
"When ordinary citizens understand they are being played for fools, they bristle." ~Charles Krauthammer - Washington Post
---------------
My recipes
sadiedog
Admiral Briner

Postby tj » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:49 pm

I love Rice Bubbles by any name! As a kid, they were a favorite. Problem is that my favorite way of consuming them, as cookies, throws my blood sugar into turbo overdrive these days. Farewell to the past, I suppose.

Carla, I agree that Wheat Chex are too expensive. There just has to be a cheaper version out there somewhere.
tj
Admiral Briner

Return to QoTD