[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - "Amber Waves" first aired 10-9-02

"Amber Waves" first aired 10-9-02

Discussions of shows as they air

Moderators: Kama, mojopox, BuddyHolly, Tymoria

whats the verdict?

Classic
33%
Good
46%
it was lacking something
17%
Bad
4%

Total votes : 24

"Amber Waves" first aired 10-9-02

Postby mojopox » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:09 pm

Alton visit's a brew shop and teaches us the basics of how to brew beer. this episode also focuses alot on sanitation.

Tell us what you think about this episode?
mojopox
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby mojopox » Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:11 pm

i liked this episode because it actually got me to go to the library and check out a few books on brewing. i also considered taking out a loan to open a brew supply store, but then my senses (wife said NO!) came back to me. :lol: --dave
mojopox
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:30 pm

It was a vey interesting and informative show, but the whole process is too complicated for me. Also, I have NO patience. Sitting there looking at half-made beer would make me insane. Or rather, more insane. :twisted:
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby charles » Tue Jan 13, 2004 6:45 pm

loved it. I built a beer fridge so I could have keg beer at home. I have wanted to make my own beer for years now. have never had the opportunity. I thought this show was very informative. I love that he showed how to really make your own beer, instead of how to open a kit and follow directions.
Officer Of Covert Operations, in charge of all things dark and sneaky!

"successful businesses are the cause of every social ill in society, not personal responsibility".
charles
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Burns » Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:18 am

I thought it was an absolutely GREAT episode. I've always wanted to get into home brewing, but a few major things have stopped me:

1) I rarely, if never, drink beer at home
2) The last thing I need to do is drink more beer

I love beer, but I only drink it when I have people over, or when I'm out somewhere. If I made beer, it'd probably go bad before it was all gone.

FWIW, if anyone is looking into it, I've heard this is a great place for home brewing supplies and starter kits:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/
Burns
Chief Petty Officer Briner

Postby Tymoria » Wed May 19, 2004 1:49 am

**Bump**

So did anyone microbrew?
Scabbard of Lunacy

Why, we're just The Rockettes with better recipes.

Personal Stalker of CHEF MONGO
Tymoria
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby eribac » Fri May 21, 2004 11:52 am

I just saw this episode last night (thanks Tivo!), and I've got say that it was the worst Good Eats episode I've seen. AB, made quite a few mistakes in making this beer, and can not imagine that the result tasted good at all.

The first mistake that I saw is how he handled his specialty grains. After he steeped (not mashed) his grains, he left them in the wort (not mash) for the boil, extracting all the tannins (yuk!). Then he only did a ten minute boil, and then refered to his finishing hops as dry hopping?

I really respect AB and enjoy his shows, but there was quite a few mistakes in this episode. Anyone who follows his advice would be certain to be turned off from this hobby after they tasted the result, which would be sad.

Sorry for the intrusion, but I just needed to vent a little...
eribac
Master Chief Petty Officer of the Briner

Postby Ogredude » Mon May 31, 2004 4:47 am

He never explained why a brew shop with decor is a bad thing...

Brewing looks extremely complex and fiddly. I donno if I'll ever try it.
www.FANDEMONIUM.org - A Convention For the Fans By the Fans
Sci-Fi / Anime / Fantasy / Gaming / Indie / Horror / Comics
Coming up in August 2005, better than before!
Ogredude
Ensign Briner

microbrewing mistakes

Postby GARCON » Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:01 am

I also saw this..wasn't too bad..haven't brewed in a while... saw a few mistakes as well..... i don't use ice..if i did would have to make it myself..probably has impurities in it..end result..bad beer.... also ..you have got to keep air out of the wort as much as possible..he should have mostly covered his wort instead of exposing it to air so long....and he wasn't "dry hopping" correctly as the gentleman above said.... Everybody should brew their own beer ..it is soooo good.... and for all you cooks out there..it a lot like making a large batch of soup....only a lot more sterilizaition is involved....enjoy!!

when life gets you down..... just sit back , relax, and have a home brew!
GARCON

Postby fastvicar » Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:47 pm

Yes, some mistakes. But I'm willing to look beyond that because this show alone is what got my friend and I to try brewing ourselves.

Alton did a great job of stressing sanitation. Except for the uncovered wort thing. Still, if he saved just one person from the perils of drinking a typical American "beer" it was worth it.

Don't eat yellow snow, don't drink yellow beer.
fastvicar

Postby jersully » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:25 pm

Brewing is easy, just not quick. He should have covered the wort and used that hydrometer, or at least have explained the benefits of using one.

BUT overall I'm glad he did the show. It took the mystery of something that seems a lot more difficult than it is.
-Jeremy

I /may/ have a point.
jersully
Commander Briner

Postby Aeneas » Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:09 am

As an avid homebrewer, I cringe every time this episode airs. The mistakes in the processes visualized have been discussed ad nausem on several of the homebrewing discussion forums out there, but in general the episode introduces a lot of people to a wonderful hobby. It's inevitible that when Amber Waves airs, 10-15 new members show up on the homebrew forums specifically because of the show.
Fermentation is not a mystery any longer and the once magical process of making good beer is rather well documented but what I'd like to see is a GE episode on other fermented foods, like saurkraut, utilizing lactic fermentation.

Aeneas
Aeneas

Postby NJ GE Fan » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:19 am

What specifically did he do incorrectly?
NJ GE Fan
Third Class Petty Officer Briner

Return to Show Specific Discussions