[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - "A Cake on Every Plate" 1st aired 2-05-03

"A Cake on Every Plate" 1st aired 2-05-03

Discussions of shows as they air

Moderators: Kama, mojopox, BuddyHolly, Tymoria

Whats the Verdict?

Classic
46%
Good
38%
It was missing something
15%
Bad
No votes

Total votes : 13

"A Cake on Every Plate" 1st aired 2-05-03

Postby mojopox » Sat Jan 17, 2004 10:05 am

Alton recieves a letter from a fan asking him to dissect, the fan's aunt gertrude's famous yellow cake recipe.

Discusions
mojopox
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Tymoria » Thu May 20, 2004 10:17 pm

Bump

I love yellow cake, I liked the frosting, but I would have liked a dark chocolate frosting. I know - picky, picky, picky.
Scabbard of Lunacy

Why, we're just The Rockettes with better recipes.

Personal Stalker of CHEF MONGO
Tymoria
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Myrealana » Fri May 21, 2004 10:50 am

Anyone else would have made a yellow cake and three other recipes in 1/2 hour show, and would have bored me to tears.

As usual, Alton combines science, humor and food in a manner only he can do.
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby robin_ » Mon Oct 25, 2004 9:47 am

So...anyone made this?

The thought of butter flavored crisco makes me twitch but I gave it a try last night, good little GE minion that I am.

I give it a resounding "eh". The cakes came out picture-perfect (I'm experimenting, so I made one in a 9x2 and one in a 6x3) but the taste and texture is only good, not excellent. I prefer the "downy yellow cake" from _The Cake Bible_.

Although I have to admit, I don't think I could tell in a blind taste test that it's not butter.
robin_
Seaman Apprentice Briner

Postby Capcool56 » Fri Nov 19, 2004 8:18 pm

I've havent seent his episode recently so i dont remember too much of it. I gave it a good, because to me a classic is something more like the salt episode, down and out in paradise, or the specials. The garlic was a classic because garlic rules, and the entire episode was filmed from a Vampire's perspective. Pure geneous! Im saying this because im keeping in mind that classic is is the best choice on the list, and those episodes have to have their own special place. it would be really hard for me to give any good eats episode a rating under good because good eats is the greatest show on this earth. it is sooo good, it deserves its own relligion!
Capcool56
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Sourdough » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:11 pm

I'll be making it tonite for the Little Miss' 6th b-day on weds. Hopefully it will turn out OK

Along with the pizza dough.....

It will be a busy evening
Matt
Seattle
Sourdough
Lieutenant Commander Briner

Postby webdev511 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:06 am

I tried this tonight and blew it....BIG TIME.

Instead of doing two 9" pans I opted for the single 9x13 and totally messed up the cooking time. Didn't even go long enough after adding an extra 5 min.

Reslut was soggy middle and the cake fell. :(

Guess I'll try again, but what am I going to do with 16 egg whites?
webdev511

Postby Babylon1023 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:49 pm

Does anybody know who the slave girl (Cinderelly) was? I've heard a rumor that it was Zoey but then I heard the girl was too old to be her. What episode/s does she appear in anyway?
Babylon1023
Captain Briner

Postby shadowfax » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:50 pm

Babylon1023 wrote:Does anybody know who the slave girl (Cinderelly) was? I've heard a rumor that it was Zoey but then I heard the girl was too old to be her. What episode/s does she appear in anyway?

I know for sure that his daughter was in the honey show when she was a baby. :D

And I have a hunch that she might have been the little girl at the end of the Circle of Life show. The little bunny that Marsha put on his lap when he is sitting on his motorcycle.
"Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream."
E.A. Poe
shadowfax
Lieutenant Briner

Re: "A Cake on Every Plate" 1st aired 2-05-03

Postby ATLHivemind » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:53 pm

Whatever you don, don't follow the online comment's suggestions. Failure will abound.
I had serious trouble creaming the shortening (blasted hand mixer), but other then being dry, it was well-textured.
I'll try it again once I get my KA.
ATLHivemind
Seaman Apprentice Briner

Return to Show Specific Discussions