[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - "Oat Cuisine" 1st aired 11-7-01

"Oat Cuisine" 1st aired 11-7-01

Discussions of shows as they air

Moderators: Kama, mojopox, BuddyHolly, Tymoria

Whats the verdict?

Classic
61%
Good
36%
It was missing something
3%
Bad
No votes

Total votes : 36

"Oat Cuisine" 1st aired 11-7-01

Postby mojopox » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:51 pm

Oats, where they came from and how to use them. let me know if you actually try the haggis "recipe" in this episode.
mojopox
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby charles » Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:20 pm

Loved the Haggis scene. Someday I will make Haggis and I will like it. Then I will force all followers of the Dark Lord to eat triple portions of it bwaahahahaha :lol:
Officer Of Covert Operations, in charge of all things dark and sneaky!

"successful businesses are the cause of every social ill in society, not personal responsibility".
charles
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby LMVK » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:16 pm

I loved when Alton picked up the brochure for Emerilware.

Also, the "Dub-ya" reference was priceless.

-- Linda
"...to cook is a humble act."
-- Alton Brown =8~}

Like a good roast beef, blue moons are very rare.
~ Lemony Snicket
LMVK
Lieutenant Briner

Postby charles » Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:42 pm

Watch it or you'll taste the back of me hand....
Officer Of Covert Operations, in charge of all things dark and sneaky!

"successful businesses are the cause of every social ill in society, not personal responsibility".
charles
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Thu Jan 22, 2004 12:14 pm

Very humorous episode, although I am not eating Haggis, no matter how many hands I have to taste the back of. :x That was the worst Scottish accent in history though.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby mojopox » Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:34 pm

okbye wrote:Very humorous episode, although I am not eating Haggis, no matter how many hands I have to taste the back of. :x That was the worst Scottish accent in history though.

for a moment there if you close your eyes the accent will turn into hans and frans from saturday night live. i was waiting for AB to slip in "eat more haggis because it will PUMP......YOU UP!"--dave
mojopox
Vice Admiral Briner

Steel Cut

Postby ktappe » Tue Jan 27, 2004 11:43 am

I'd never heard of steel cut oats before this episode, but now I eat them regularly. Thanks, AB, for lowering my cholesterol! :D
ktappe

Postby Pam T » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:35 pm

I loved the part in the opening when the horse licked the oats off the spoon.

So sweet!
Man does not live by words alone,
though sometimes he has to eat them.

<")
_(()____
.. ""\\

Pam T
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby mojopox » Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:33 pm

this one is on again already. oats just dont seem sexy enough to be friday night material.--dave
mojopox
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:17 pm

I tried the oatmeal with dried papaya. The taste was good even though the fruit never softened up all the way, it was kind of chewy. It was also a bright orange! Very interesting looking. I dont think I will use papaya next time, but will definately make the recipe again. I finally got to the veggie market, .45 a pound for oats! I got a ton of cous cous too, but thats another show. :)
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby Tymoria » Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:41 am

mojopox wrote:this one is on again already. oats just dont seem sexy enough to be friday night material.--dave

Maybe AB and Paul in kilts are sexy enough for friday night :wink:

I'd really like to know if ANYONE on GE at any of that haggis. I'm with you okbye. Someone would have to beat me to a bloody pulp before I ate it.
Scabbard of Lunacy

Why, we're just The Rockettes with better recipes.

Personal Stalker of CHEF MONGO
Tymoria
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Cheryl » Sat Feb 07, 2004 1:34 pm

Danita wrote:
mojopox wrote:this one is on again already. oats just dont seem sexy enough to be friday night material.--dave

Maybe AB and Paul in kilts are sexy enough for friday night :wink:

I'd really like to know if ANYONE on GE at any of that haggis. I'm with you okbye. Someone would have to beat me to a bloody pulp before I ate it.

I fell asleep while waiting for it to come on. Love the ep though, gives me the warm fuzzies. :)
Cheryl

Postby devaldez » Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:30 am

Help!

I'm reading the transcript and using the recipe from FoodTV, but I just can't seem to find a temp to toast the oats for the Steelcut Oatmeal recipe...suggestions?

I realize he says to saute, which to my mind means mediun heat, but I'm being anal on this one...
Officer of Shallow Thoughts, G.E.S. Chickeny Hands
"Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans, are a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn." - AB2
I've been kissed by a Pixie!
devaldez
Admiral Briner

Postby McTrooper » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:35 am

I loved the episode, educational and funny. :)

Is it hard to find Steelcut Oats?
I know you can find them on line, but I would rather buy in person (saves on shipping and stuff).

I've checked a few local stores and at least one larger chain, but no dice so far.

Are they in Health food stores?
Specialty shops?
Restrooms? ;)
McTrooper
Chief Petty Officer Briner

Postby lunanoir » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:25 am

McTrooper wrote:I loved the episode, educational and funny. :)

Is it hard to find Steelcut Oats?
I know you can find them on line, but I would rather buy in person (saves on shipping and stuff).

I've checked a few local stores and at least one larger chain, but no dice so far.

Are they in Health food stores?
Specialty shops?
Restrooms? ;)

Specialty grocers like Trader Joes and Whole Foods have them.

I can also find them in the health food section of my regular megamart.

- jen
lunanoir
Admiral Briner

Postby McTrooper » Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:05 pm

Thank you for the info lunanoir :)

I'll have to keep an eye out for them.
McTrooper
Chief Petty Officer Briner

Postby zaskar » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:04 am

This was the first show of his I saw. Since then, I'be been hooked.
zaskar

Postby BAMAcook » Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:42 am

I have seen steel cut oats at Publix. There are with all the other oatmeal. They were in a can that said something like steel sut irish oats. The company is McCanns. They also sell a quick cooking oats that are quite good and had a recipie for oatmeal pancakes that were wonderful.

I saw an episode of Tony Bourdain's (sp) show where he traveled all over the world eating. He went to Scotland and ate haggis. He talked about how how he was going to die or get sick and how bad it was going to be. But, when he ate it, he actually liked it and ate a fair amount of it.

Than being said, I still think I would have a hard time putting a bite of it in my mouth
BAMAcook
Second Class Petty Officer Briner

Postby flotsette » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:37 pm

http://www.mccanns.ie/pages/products.html

The stuff you want is in the metal tin. It's available in many grocery stores around here. Also, I've gotten them in bulk in health food stores. Most grocery store bulk sections probably don't carry the steel cut, but they're definitely a health foodie thing.
flotsette
Seaman Briner

Postby devaldez » Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:36 pm

You can order them here, too:
Bob's Red Mill
Officer of Shallow Thoughts, G.E.S. Chickeny Hands
"Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans, are a persistent irritant to any chef worth a damn." - AB2
I've been kissed by a Pixie!
devaldez
Admiral Briner

Postby coondognd » Wed May 18, 2005 2:46 pm

Has anyone else tried to make the "Overnight Oatmeal"? I gave it a try, but my crockpot's idea of "low" apparently isn't low enough, and the whole thing was pretty well burnt in the morning.

I tried a few modifications, (more liquid, basically), but still had the same result. I also tried adding a 2nd round of liquids later in the process, and had a bit more luck, but it's not exactly "overnight" oatmeal if I have to get up at 4 a.m. to add to it.

Anyone with a similar situation manage to get around this prediciment?

I'm considering plugging the crockpot into an outlet hooked up to a dimmer switch, and setting the dimmer to about 3/4 of full power, but I'm not sure if that will play nicely with the crockpot. While I would like some home-cooked oatmeal, I'll take instant if it can keep my house from burning down. I'm also concerned that reducing the power might turn the oatmeal into a big petri dish.

Any insight you guys have would be appreciated.
coondognd
Seaman Recruit Briner

Postby shadowfax » Thu May 26, 2005 7:36 pm

coondognd wrote:Has anyone else tried to make the "Overnight Oatmeal"? I gave it a try, but my crockpot's idea of "low" apparently isn't low enough, and the whole thing was pretty well burnt in the morning.

I tried a few modifications, (more liquid, basically), but still had the same result. I also tried adding a 2nd round of liquids later in the process, and had a bit more luck, but it's not exactly "overnight" oatmeal if I have to get up at 4 a.m. to add to it.

I'm considering plugging the crockpot into an outlet hooked up to a dimmer switch, and setting the dimmer to about 3/4 of full power, but I'm not sure if that will play nicely with the crockpot. While I would like some home-cooked oatmeal, I'll take instant if it can keep my house from burning down. I'm also concerned that reducing the power might turn the oatmeal into a big petri dish.

I made have made it several times and following the recipe had no problem making it. Perhaps your crockpot needs replacing, how old is it?
My wife and I both eat a lot of oatmeal but neither of us was real happy with the flavor of the steel cut oats. :lol:
"Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream."
E.A. Poe
shadowfax
Lieutenant Briner

Postby Nevets » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:42 pm

I tried the overnight oatmeal 4 times before seeing this episode. The first time I got the recipe form a different website that called for half and half, it burned and tasted terrible. I tried it again without the half and half and it still burnt, my slow cooker is also not so slow. I then tried it in my dads old brown slowcooker, similar to the one AB used and if I remember correctly it didnt cook enough, it was very watery. My wife then told me she had enough of this and to eat the instant, but one day when my wife is sleeping I will have my success and she can eat her instant oatmeal.
Nevets

Postby zoozoo » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:14 pm

Of the eps I've seen so far, this is the one that I show people when I have one chance to get them hooked ... it's got everything, pretty much! Let's see, horses and nutritional anthropologist; haggis plus Braveheart-y kilts with black-rimmed glasses and *excruciating* accent (almost as bad as the French one that turns into Steve Martin's Wild & Crazy Guy somewhere in there); Barbie's Dream Oat; Three Bears ("what's that furry, oh ha ha!"); a box of oat fiber containing "cute" vitamins; the gastro-intestinal track (my friend says, "how vivid!"); cooking in bed (pulling beakers of cream and containers of dried fruit out of bed cracks me up every time!); and, finally, one of the greatest, subtle, hilarious lines I've ever heard in my life: "It doesnt' have to be perfect. Not that there's anything wrong with perfect." Oh my god, that is such a wonderful zen-ful line. If I wasn't a complete addict before this episode, this one finalized it for me. Plus it *is* aiding in my cholesterol "issues."
I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy
You see by my outfit that I'm a cowboy too
We see by our outfits that we are both cowboys
If you get an outfit, you can be a cowboy too.
zoozoo
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

Postby novkemen » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:25 am

coondognd wrote:Has anyone else tried to make the "Overnight Oatmeal"? I gave it a try, but my crockpot's idea of "low" apparently isn't low enough, and the whole thing was pretty well burnt in the morning.

It didn't work for me either. It ended up being a goopy watery mess. I'm determined to get it right though, it at least smelled delicious!
novkemen

Postby ardrhi » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:05 pm

I saw another recipe for "overnight oatmeal" using steel-cut oats that I'm going to try. It doesn't use a slow-cooker, it uses a rice cooker. You put the oats in the cooker with just the water the night before, but you don't turn it on, you soak them overnight. The next morning, you add the dairy, the fruit, and the sugar, and hit the button on the cooker. When it turns down to warm, it should be done. I'll try it and see how it turns out.

(A caveat...many of the recipes say that the fuzzy-logic rice cookers have "porridge" settings, but the others don't, and you need to watch them.)
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Homemade Soda and Drinkables
http://bubonicbrewery.com
http://tudiabetes.com/profile/ArdRhi
ardrhi
Seaman Apprentice Briner

Postby JasperTheCat » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:54 pm

I've made the steel cut oatmeal in my rice cooker, with fuzzy logic. However, I've not gone the overnight route. I load it up in the morning and it gets cooked while I do other things. I use a recipe from the Rice Cooker cookbook.

I've recently found our slow cooker and want to try the overnight cook, so there'd be no waiting in the morning ;-)
JasperTheCat
Ensign Briner

Postby Jay von » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:18 am

I picked up the DVD with this episode on it at TJ Max. During the "Ask Alton" segment, there is a question that goes something like, "is there a recipe for vegetarian haggis?". Alton makes like a true smart-ass and tosses the card away. Pretty funny. Wonder if it was a real question.
Jay von
Resident Hippie

Return to Show Specific Discussions