[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - "Potato, My Sweet" 1st aired 11-12-03

"Potato, My Sweet" 1st aired 11-12-03

Discussions of shows as they air

Moderators: Kama, mojopox, BuddyHolly, Tymoria

Whats the verdict?

Classic
47%
Good
47%
It was missing something
6%
Bad
No votes

Total votes : 17

"Potato, My Sweet" 1st aired 11-12-03

Postby mojopox » Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:10 pm

Tired of those sickening sweet potatoes with mini marshmellows in them? well Alton my have the answer for you.

myself? i just bake them and eat them plain.--dave
mojopox
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby suebob » Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:23 pm

I have to admit I enjoyed the interaction between AB and the sweet potato's agent (the former "Cocoa Carl") and Deb Duchon a bit more than the recipes, but I do plan to try a sweet potato pie some day. Only AB could think of that creative way of slicing a pie!

suebob
suebob
Lieutenant Briner

Postby okbye » Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:22 pm

I have to admit I LIKE sweet potatoes with marshmellos on top. Maybe I just like the marshmellos. Next time I make them I may try his syrup method, but they're still getting the marshmellos on top. Anyway, I will probably never try putting chilis in my sweet taters, but I would like to try the pie. It looked good.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby charles » Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:50 pm

Love the episodes. Love the Coco Carl dude. He is a hoot. Not a real big fan of sweet potatoes, probably willn ever try them, but damn the episode was entertaining.
Officer Of Covert Operations, in charge of all things dark and sneaky!

"successful businesses are the cause of every social ill in society, not personal responsibility".
charles
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby saraimay75 » Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:14 pm

Well, he did make pie. :wink:
God love admiration . . . I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it.
~Alice Walker~
saraimay75
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Kama » Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:17 pm

I've got to admit that the sweeet potato chips from IJHFTH is one of my favorite sweet potato applications. I'll have to try some of these receipes as well.
Kama
Director of Children's Services and Handwashing Education
GEFP's Official "Sour Grape"
Kama
Vice Admiral Briner

the chiles make it better

Postby winston61 » Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:56 pm

For Thanksgiving dinner this year I made the mashed sweet potatoes with the chipotle pepper. I have to say that it was very good. The smoky flavor goes with the sweet potato that just tasted right. My own sweet potato pie recipe is the one from the Fannie Farmer cook book. I bake the potatoes instead of boiling or steaming. Deepens the flavor. For the smoothest custard puree the potatoes in the food processor till very smooth. Use Meyers dark rum. The pie is best is baked the day before serving.
winston61

Postby sgtdilbert » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:41 pm

I made this for Thanksgiving. We had an over abundance of food, plus a really yummy pumpkin cheesecake (Joy of Cooking), so this pie didn't get touched much. I did have a slice, and I have to say that it's a meal in itself. It's good, but I don't know, it's just not a homerun. I doubt that I'll make it again.
sgtdilbert

Postby webdev511 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 4:22 am

I made the waffles for dinner one night. We had a guest over and the consensus was that they were VERY filling, but the ornage needed to be dialed back a bit.

I also made the pie because, hey I had a bunch of yolks and sweet potatos left over, so what the heck.

Granted it was a very good pie, but served during the holidays I think it would have easily gotten passed up for Pumpkin or Pecan.

I still haven't done the chipotle mashers yet. My wife has stomach issues with peppers, so I'll gradually work the peppers and sauce into the mix.

All in all, I think the episode highlighted that sweat potatos are a very useful vegi. I think we're going to have mashed sweet potatos as a regular part of our menu rotation.
webdev511

Mashed Sweet Potatoes- Say no to Chipotle

Postby Skylighter » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:06 am

I love Sweet Potatoes. I thought this episode was great. More importantly, I found that steaming seems to be the absolute way to make my favorite side dish.

I made the mashed potatoes on two seperate nights. The first without the Chipotle pepper and the second with the Chipotle pepper. I didnt really like the smokey flavor of the pepper and it was too spicy for my taste.

I would suggest that the recipe is great, minus the pepper. Next I want to try adding bourbon.
Skylighter

Return to Show Specific Discussions