[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - "Squid Pro Quo" 1st aired 1-30-02

"Squid Pro Quo" 1st aired 1-30-02

Discussions of shows as they air

Moderators: Kama, mojopox, BuddyHolly, Tymoria

Whats the verdict?

Classic
47%
Good
37%
It was missing something
No votes
Bad
16%

Total votes : 19

"Squid Pro Quo" 1st aired 1-30-02

Postby mojopox » Sat Jan 24, 2004 6:16 pm

Alton goes on a camping trip and learns the legend of the giant squid, teaches his fellow campers how to properly pack a cooler (and a warm cooler), choose a wok and cook with it using a burner from a turkey fryer.

i have to comment on this one. i have never had squid but this is probably my favorite good eats episode of all time. it was packed full of entertainment, humor, cooking, and information.

wasn't patty the same woman that plays AB's stalker in the potato episode? and the..(what was the other episode with the stalker?)
mojopox
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby charles » Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:53 pm

Definately a top 5 episode. Loved every minute of it. Love squid too. Love to use the Wok. Never could get "wokay" (sp), will definately invest in the turkey fryer.

yes Dave the girl is the Stalker character from the potato episode.
Officer Of Covert Operations, in charge of all things dark and sneaky!

"successful businesses are the cause of every social ill in society, not personal responsibility".
charles
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby bnsdad » Sat Jan 24, 2004 11:35 pm

It was a classice show, I believe the Lady is Widdi Turner???? She was also one of the church ladies in the Casserole episode. but this squid show, I had to laugh as my wife wondered out loud to me where she could get a cooler that opens in half like AB's.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and require the same from them.
J.B. Books (John Wayne) "The Shootist"
bnsdad
Rear Admiral (upper half) Briner

Postby iso50 » Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:02 pm

Quite possibly one of the worst GE episodes, ranks there with the bacon show.
iso50
Ensign Briner

Postby Butterbean » Sun Jan 25, 2004 7:11 pm

I enjoyed it a lot. And once again, a line I missed before really cracked me up (from the transcript):

And just as we have hair, he's got tentacles, 10 of them. And if you pull those back you'll find his mouth. There it is. The beak. That was the thing that almost took Captain Nemo's head clean off.

Not a .44 magnum, but what the heck....

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby mojopox » Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:03 pm

iso50 wrote:Quite possibly one of the worst GE episodes, ranks there with the bacon show.

im curious as to why you think it is one of the worst? would you mind telling us why? we all have differant tastes but im just curious.--dave
mojopox
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby osowolf » Wed Aug 25, 2004 12:32 am

This is the first time I've seen Squid Pro Quo. May I just say that Alton's cooler schematic is the greatest! :clap: I squealed with delight and punched my fists in the air and the greatness of it. Then I looked around to see if anyone saw how cranial retentive I am. :oops: But seriously. The greatest. I can't wait to go camping just so I can pack my cooler. :dance:
osowolf

Postby senor_pineapple » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:09 am

I don't know how likely I am to ever eat squid.. but I liked the wok stuff.

I especially love it when he teaches lazy cleaning tips like the wok cleaning... I cleaned my cast iron skillet like he showed in Steak your Claim, I believe, and my GF thought I was nuts.

I like it when the episodes have a storyline to them... or else they get drab and monotonous.
senor_pineapple
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

No way

Postby stocking225 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:29 pm

How can you say that? No way!
stocking225

Postby Jay von » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:49 am

This episode is awesome. It was the first I saw, years ago. I didn't see GE again until we got Food Network HD in January 2008. When I saw Alton on TV again I said, "oh cool, that's the freak with the squid puppet!" Now I watch the show every night.

I have had a couple of arguments with a chef friend of mine about the wok heating alone and then adding oil. Apparently they teach otherwise at Johnson & Wales.
Jay von
Resident Hippie

Postby jackiecat » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:16 pm

Hot wok, cold oil. Food won't stick.

Frugal Gourmet
Cheryl

I've been kissed by Pixie AND hugged by Holly!

I'm not a great cook, but I'm a GREAT taster - Ina Garten
jackiecat
Vice Admiral Briner

Didn't like it

Postby Steve » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:30 pm

I have to say that I didn't like this show very much or the followup, Squid Pro Quo II

I don't like most of the shows where Alton Brown stays "in character" for most, if not all, of the show. I hate to say it, but he's just not all that good of an actor, certainly not good enough to sustain a show for an entire episode. The Chili show is pretty awful (the one with Dusty and Lefty or whomever they are -- they remind me of the extremely unfunny bit that Garrison Keillor does on A Prairie Home Companion, "Tales of the Cowboys", which makes me hit the OFF button on my radio) and the Sweeney Todd parody is almost unwatchable (but I never could stand Sweeney Todd in the original, either, but that's mostly because I really can't abide Stephen Sondheim.

Shows like this make me wonder whether Good Eats isn't preparing to "jump the shark".
Steve
Chief Petty Officer Briner

Return to Show Specific Discussions