[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - "The Man Food Show" 1st Aired 1-28-04

"The Man Food Show" 1st Aired 1-28-04

Discussions of shows as they air

Moderators: Kama, mojopox, BuddyHolly, Tymoria

Whats the verdict

Classic
68%
Good
23%
It was missing something
10%
Bad
No votes

Total votes : 80

"The Man Food Show" 1st Aired 1-28-04

Postby mojopox » Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:16 pm

Alton sweet talks the ladies into leaving the room so just "us" men can talk about making our woman breakfast in bed. once the women are gone alton pulls a beer out of the oj container and gets busy talking about man food.

i voted classic. i will definantly be making both of those recipes. i now have another excuse for pulling out my griddle. although, i was expecting the guy that knew everything about good eats and alton to show up in the store. what ever happened to that? wasn't it supposed to be continued? i was good to see paul again also. oh and what are we supposed to do if our wife really did leave the room and is expecting breakfast in bed along with fresh flowers and origami?
Last edited by mojopox on Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mojopox
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby bnsdad » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:34 pm

Just saw it, thought it was classic. From the ferris wheel ride to the grill to getting the women out of there. Lots of info and lots of fun.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and require the same from them.
J.B. Books (John Wayne) "The Shootist"
bnsdad
Rear Admiral (upper half) Briner

Postby charles » Wed Jan 28, 2004 10:40 pm

Lots of fun. New way to make burgers at home. Will be fun to do with the girls.
Officer Of Covert Operations, in charge of all things dark and sneaky!

"successful businesses are the cause of every social ill in society, not personal responsibility".
charles
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Tymoria » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:34 pm

Very informative and freakin' hilarious. I loved he way he kept suckin' up to the female viewers and when they "gone" doing something naughty.
This show once again demonstrates that nobody explains how and why in a better way than AB.
Scabbard of Lunacy

Why, we're just The Rockettes with better recipes.

Personal Stalker of CHEF MONGO
Tymoria
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby okbye » Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:51 am

I have often though about AB handling his.. no, better not.

It was a good show, not a whole lot of ideas I will use though. It did explain why my deep fryer has that stupid magnetic cord that falls off everytime I move it. My outlets are on the wall behind the counter. I couldnt trip on it unless I was 10" tall and walking under the cabinets. Besides, it's like 18" long. A little overboard on the safety if you ask me. I had to laugh when he said to cut the ground beef into even squares when his were more like uneven trapazoids.
I don't mean to sound cold, cruel or vicious but I am so that's the way it comes out - Bill Hicks

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.“ Homer Simpson

Charlie Brooker: "What is the most complicated thing you do in your kitchen?"
David Mitchell: "Worry about death."
okbye
Crazy Aunt

Postby scooter » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:49 am

classic! hillarious! loved it! :D
"Bye bye boys! Have fun storming the castle!"
scooter
Captain Briner

Postby Butterbean » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:08 am

It was good, but I thought it was missing something. Greatly entertaining, as usual, but the "recipes" were predicated on special & expensive equipment, which is kind of contradictory to AB's philosophy. And when there is special equipment, I really miss W.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Michele » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:32 am

Butterbean wrote: And when there is special equipment, I really miss W.

Me too. :( I half expected to see her yesterday when he was shopping for a griddle.

Great show!! :D
Michele
Ensign Briner

Postby burningwater » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:23 am

The intro was the best, I loved the beer in the OJ.
A wise man once told me,
"How the hell did you get past the dogs!?!?!"

http://www.livejournal.com/users/grimzeak
burningwater
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby saraimay75 » Thu Jan 29, 2004 3:16 pm

I loved this show. :D Especialy since AB's "Man Food" is really everyMAN's food. Like he really thought that the women would leave the room. If we left how would we get to see AB :wink:
God love admiration . . . I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it.
~Alice Walker~
saraimay75
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Mikemenn » Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:57 pm

Although some what "manly" in demeanor, wouldn't the presense of W on the "man food show" be somewhat incongruous?

Mikemenn
Mikemenn

Postby carla » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:26 pm

Lee wrote:You mean..... we weren't supposed to leave? :shock:

ROTFL!!

Yeah, the beer in the OJ was good.
I looked at those burgers and said D'OH!! They're perfect for me. I will do that when I make burgers. I've only heard of White Castle & sliders. Seen 'em in the freezer section, but no thanks! It'll be mini-burgers in a cast iron skillet for me.
Resistance isn't about damaging the country, but protecting it.
carla
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Papacooks » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:46 am

It was a really good show. The bit about getting the women to leave was just to make sure they wouldn't. This was Mr. Brown's deliciously perverse sense of humor at it's very best.
Papacooks

Cuisine! It is when things taste like themselves
Curnonsky (1872-1956)
Noted food writer and gastronome
Papacooks
Commander Briner

Postby BuddyHolly » Fri Jan 30, 2004 1:14 pm

I loved it! I chuckled through most of it. I loved the part about getting the girls out of the room. As if I was going to walk away from the tv when AB was on!
BuddyHolly
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

Postby saraimay75 » Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:03 pm

BuddyHolly wrote:I loved it! I chuckled through most of it. I loved the part about getting the girls out of the room. As if I was going to walk away from the tv when AB was on!

Hey I said that.
God love admiration . . . I think it pisses God off if you walk by the color purple in a field somewhere and don't notice it.
~Alice Walker~
saraimay75
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Pam T » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:33 pm

Loved it a lot!
Man does not live by words alone,
though sometimes he has to eat them.

<")
_(()____
.. ""\\

Pam T
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Kama » Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:42 pm

Strangely enough, when it first aired, my baby started crying and I DID leave the room as AB instructed. My husband stayed to watch the episode alone.

Are y'all implying I SHOULDN'T be expecting breakfast this weekend? :shock: :cry: :cry:

(I did get to see it at the late night showing.)
Kama
Director of Children's Services and Handwashing Education
GEFP's Official "Sour Grape"
Kama
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Cheryl » Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:27 am

I think it was funny, it would be nice to see AB play more football!
Cheryl

Postby Cheryl » Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:03 pm

Lee wrote:
Cheryl wrote:I think it was funny, it would be nice to see AB play more football!

Yep, Cheryl. I thought he filled out that jersey very nicely. :wink:

I can see all us gals tackling him, now. Touchdown! lol :wink:
Cheryl

Postby Cheryl » Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:51 pm

LOL....but let's be nice take his glasses off first. :)
Cheryl

Postby Myrealana » Mon Feb 02, 2004 12:51 pm

I don't know about you, but I'm going to HAVE to get me one of those fryers!
GONE, BABY, GONE.
Myrealana
Fleet Admiral Briner

Postby x022098 » Mon Feb 02, 2004 10:53 pm

Does anyone know who makes the deep fryer from this episode? Also where is the best place to purchase it?

Thanks in advance,
-Jeff
x022098

Postby Cheryl » Tue Feb 03, 2004 3:01 am

x022098 wrote:Does anyone know who makes the deep fryer from this episode? Also where is the best place to purchase it?

Thanks in advance,
-Jeff

MM posted this last week...it looks like the one AB showed.
http://goodeats.dyns.net:/viewtopic.php?t=3000
Cheryl

Postby Papacooks » Tue Feb 03, 2004 10:41 am

x022098 wrote:Does anyone know who makes the deep fryer from this episode? Also where is the best place to purchase it?

Thanks in advance,
-Jeff

I saw one at Linens "N" Things the other day if that helps. The wife has a bug in her ear for my birthday coming up soon.
Papacooks

Cuisine! It is when things taste like themselves
Curnonsky (1872-1956)
Noted food writer and gastronome
Papacooks
Commander Briner

Postby Kynn » Tue Feb 03, 2004 11:15 am

I gave it a "classic" vote, solely on account of the thing about teaching guys how to make breakfasts in bed for the ladies. Brilliant. The acting in the final scene is done to a turn. Next time you watch it, look for the part when he's on his knees, snipping flowers for a "beautiful morning bouquet", and bidding farewell. The suave delivery of the line "See you next time... on Good Eats" is pure genius. The guy can really act.

I didn't find the food in this episode terribly inspiring; I think other episodes (e.g. Raising the Steaks or Grill Seekers) can make stronger claims to being the manly food episode.

But I have to admit that ever since watching this show, I've been lusting after that fun-looking deep fryer, and trying to come up with some justification for buying it. "On the one hand I don't usually eat much fried stuff... On the other hand, maybe I would if it was perfectly done..." The griddle would be fun to, but I'd have to build an addition to my kitchen before I can even consider it.

I noticed that AB has a curious speech quirk: he says "greazy" instead of "greasy".

I also noticed that AB has put on a fair bit of weight. Whether this weight is fat or muscle I can't tell, but he looked totally barrel-chested in this episode, especially in the scene right after Father and Son walk off to pay for the Son's first griddle. Maybe he's been doing some righteous bench pressing. He was definitely looking the part of the Man Food Show's host.
Kynn
Lieutenant Briner

Postby BuddyHolly » Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:21 pm

Call me picky, but the only thing I dislike about AB is the greazzzy thing. I have no idea why it bugs me, but it just irritates the heck out of me every time he says it.

Maybe I need professional help :wink:
BuddyHolly
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

Postby FrankinLA » Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:24 am

Am I the only one that got bothered by the fact that the guy with one of the greatest collection of rolling pins used a wine bottle to roll out his ground beef?

Frank
FrankinLA

Postby Kynn » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:49 am

FrankinLA wrote:Am I the only one that got bothered by the fact that the guy with one of the greatest collection of rolling pins used a wine bottle to roll out his ground beef?

I found it refreshing, actually...
Kynn
Lieutenant Briner

Postby Cheryl » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:28 am

BuddyHolly wrote:Call me picky, but the only thing I dislike about AB is the greazzzy thing. I have no idea why it bugs me, but it just irritates the heck out of me every time he says it.

Step right up, the Dr. is in. :wink:
Cheryl

Postby BigCrab » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:30 pm

Cheryl wrote:
BuddyHolly wrote:Call me picky, but the only thing I dislike about AB is the greazzzy thing. I have no idea why it bugs me, but it just irritates the heck out of me every time he says it.

Step right up, the Dr. is in. :wink:

There are a few words that he pronounces strangely. The one that always bugs me is soh'ey sauce (or beans).

I think most of us probably have quirks like that. It annoys my son the way I say uhm'brella, and I chuckle whenever I hear my dad say veee'hicle.
BigCrab

Next

Return to Show Specific Discussions