[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - "The Man Food Show" 1st Aired 1-28-04

"The Man Food Show" 1st Aired 1-28-04

Discussions of shows as they air

Moderators: Kama, mojopox, BuddyHolly, Tymoria

Whats the verdict

Classic
68%
Good
23%
It was missing something
10%
Bad
No votes

Total votes : 80

Postby BigCrab » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:34 pm

The show was very entertaining... But, neither of the examples did much for me. I can think of a hundred things I'd rather deep fry than corn dogs, and I still prefer burgers thick and juicy.
BigCrab

Postby NYJetsfan » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:43 pm

Loved the part with the Napkin Bird.

Beer in the OJ.

Makes we want to go out and buy a fry thermometer and a gallon of peanut oil!

Burgers were classic. With a little sauteed onion they would be perfect.

BTW, don't bother with the frozen White Castles. Only get them at the drive through when you're REALLY hungry!
Wait an hour for it to do its voodoo
NYJetsfan
Ensign Briner

Postby BigCrab » Thu Feb 05, 2004 1:50 pm

Mikemenn wrote:Although some what "manly" in demeanor, wouldn't the presense of W on the "man food show" be somewhat incongruous?

If I said what I'm thinking, it would offend more folks that Janet's faux pas.
BigCrab

Postby Tymoria » Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:57 am

Food tv has run this episode a couple of times now. Call me a heathen, but i don't like corn dogs. Sorry. But I still enjoy the show.

Now, who had jalapenoed their dawgs?
Scabbard of Lunacy

Why, we're just The Rockettes with better recipes.

Personal Stalker of CHEF MONGO
Tymoria
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby bgalbrecht » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:17 pm

carla wrote:
Lee wrote:You mean..... we weren't supposed to leave? :shock:

ROTFL!!

Yeah, the beer in the OJ was good.
I looked at those burgers and said D'OH!! They're perfect for me. I will do that when I make burgers. I've only heard of White Castle & sliders. Seen 'em in the freezer section, but no thanks! It'll be mini-burgers in a cast iron skillet for me.

I'm not a slider afficiando, but I believe that a proper slider is cooked on top of chopped onions. I haven't been in a White Castle for years, but I suspect they cook the first side, and then flip them to a bed of sauted(?) onions, and then plop the onions and burger into the bun. I don't think they put any mayo on, either, as I believe one of the points of the slider is to get the juice of the burger and onion to soak into the bun.
bgalbrecht
Seaman Apprentice Briner

Postby BeastyBunny » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:06 pm

Just saw this one for the first time last night! I thought it was very funny but really AB! There is no way I was going to leave the room if you are presenting ANYTHING!

Although I can no longer eat fried foods, I still torture myself with a corn dog anytime my son and I go to a carnival or fair. But I don't think I'll run out and buy a fryer (or a gallon of any oil).

The burgers, on the other hand, could be fun for the correct occasion.

The use of the bottle instead of a rolling pin was for the "guys" benefit, I think. Maybe they didn't have one (bachelor pad mentality) or didn't know where their wife hid them.

I must admit he looked fairly broad in the chest and I think I will join all the others in tackling him if the opportunity ever arises :wink:

Very funny show. Loved the napkin bird, the beer in the juice and the careful selection of flowers at the end. I just love this guy! :P
Last edited by BeastyBunny on Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeastyBunny

Postby lunanoir » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:37 pm

bgalbrecht wrote:
carla wrote:
Lee wrote:You mean..... we weren't supposed to leave? :shock:

ROTFL!!

Yeah, the beer in the OJ was good.
I looked at those burgers and said D'OH!! They're perfect for me. I will do that when I make burgers. I've only heard of White Castle & sliders. Seen 'em in the freezer section, but no thanks! It'll be mini-burgers in a cast iron skillet for me.

I'm not a slider afficiando, but I believe that a proper slider is cooked on top of chopped onions. I haven't been in a White Castle for years, but I suspect they cook the first side, and then flip them to a bed of sauted(?) onions, and then plop the onions and burger into the bun. I don't think they put any mayo on, either, as I believe one of the points of the slider is to get the juice of the burger and onion to soak into the bun.

White castle uses rehydrated onions, IIRC. So "sauted" might be stretching it a bit.

(it's the closest fast food restaurant to my house...)

- jen
lunanoir
Admiral Briner

Postby webdev511 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:17 am

Great Episode. The wife and I caught Harold & Kumar go to White Castle, and laughed our butts off, hence I re TiVo'd this episode.

I am going to attempt to make the "Sliders" using ground turkey instead of chuck though.
webdev511

Postby zoozoo » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:19 am

This one's a classic for me too. I especially love the faux manly swagger he takes on just after the "ladies" leave the room. Cracks me up!

Another classic line is in the store looking at the electric griddle -- large grease trap -- "It's important for a guy." What a riot!

Yeah, I'd do the sliders (I agree; the wine bottle was to let guys know that they don't have to go all girly with a rolling pin, I think) and the corn dogs -- with the right group of friends. But I'm not convinced I'd buy the fryer, or the griddle. I'm pretty sure I could pull it off with materials I have on hand, even if they weren't as sexy.
I see by your outfit that you are a cowboy
You see by my outfit that I'm a cowboy too
We see by our outfits that we are both cowboys
If you get an outfit, you can be a cowboy too.
zoozoo
Rear Admiral (lower half) Briner

Postby AlmostAwake » Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:23 pm

I enjoyed this show, but I haven't made any of the recipes and probably won't. I'm the only one in my family who would eat a corn dog, and I've spent too much time perfecting my burger technique to go messing with it now. It was a really well-done, funny show, though, maybe not in my top 10, but certainly in my top 20.
AlmostAwake
Seaman Briner

Postby waldomommy » Sat May 13, 2006 9:29 pm

OK. Saw the show. Decided to do the corn dogs. When I saw AB doing it and saw the final product, I thought that the cornmeal coating was a little sparse compared to what you buy at fairs and at Hot Dog On A Stick...

Tried the recipe just now, and it was a big disappointment! The batter was sooooo runny that it was barely coating (and yes, I used cornstarch!) so when you toss it in the fryer you get lots of hot dog showing and not much batter at all.

So I thickened it with more cornmeal and flour, but the taste left something (OK a whole lot) to be desired.

Has anyone else tried it, and to what degree of luck?
waldomommy

Postby mart242 » Sun May 28, 2006 12:08 am

The batter doesn't stick super well to the hot dog (be careful when dipping, try twisting it) but man is that recipe tasty! I can barely stop eating these damn things when I make them (~twice a year)
mart242

Postby Jay von » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:30 am

This was one of the first episodes I saw, and and it sealed the deal for me- I became a fan.

I've done the burgers several times, and am very happy with them. This is a fantastic snack for "after the bars close, back at the house with friends and a 12 pack" revelry. People are really knocked out by these burgers at 2:30 am; simple, small, easy to negotiate.

No griddle in my kitchen so I usually use 2 cast irons or an electric skillet.

Haven't tried the corn dogs.
Jay von
Resident Hippie

Didn't like it

Postby Steve » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:34 pm

This is another show I didn't particularly like.

While I know he was "goofing", the implicit sexism, even as a joke or parody, just made my skin crawl.

That and that sort of food just doesn't particularly appeal to me.
Steve
Chief Petty Officer Briner

Previous

Return to Show Specific Discussions