[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4505: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4507: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4508: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4509: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3706)
www.goodeatsfanpage.com • View topic - A Bowl of Onion First Aired 9/1/99

A Bowl of Onion First Aired 9/1/99

Discussions of shows as they air

Moderators: Kama, mojopox, BuddyHolly, Tymoria

Is it Soup yet?

Souperb
40%
Yummy
13%
Needs a Little Something
27%
It's Toast...and not the good kind!
20%

Total votes : 15

A Bowl of Onion First Aired 9/1/99

Postby Tymoria » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:23 am

Alton digs up the truth about sweet onions, slices up the myths about the right way to cut the bulb without crying and fries up a mess o' onion for the soup with a cheesy hat.

Gotta love Mr. Yumion.. and the Forrest Gump parody.
Scabbard of Lunacy

Why, we're just The Rockettes with better recipes.

Personal Stalker of CHEF MONGO
Tymoria
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby Butterbean » Sat Feb 28, 2004 11:07 am

I haven't attempted the soup myself, although comments on this board have said it's on the sweet side. Loved the show, however. And it sure boosted sales of electric skillets. My family always had (and used) one when I was a pup, and I had one myself, years ago. Made me nostalgic. The YumYun also got some additional work as a result of this show.

I'd like a single plum floating in perfume served in a man's hat.
Butterbean
Admiral of the Briners

Postby Tymoria » Sat Feb 28, 2004 12:12 pm

I do want an electric skillet. another one. Long time ago, I had one but I only used it to make meat for burritos. That soup looks like heaven too - onions soup, cheese and toast...what more could anyone want?
Scabbard of Lunacy

Why, we're just The Rockettes with better recipes.

Personal Stalker of CHEF MONGO
Tymoria
Vice Admiral Briner

Postby tessler » Thu May 13, 2004 12:27 pm

I'm in the process of gathering the ingredients for this now. Any tips from anyone who is experienced with this would be greatly appreciated.
tessler
Captain Briner

Postby lunanoir » Thu May 13, 2004 1:09 pm

tessler wrote:I'm in the process of gathering the ingredients for this now. Any tips from anyone who is experienced with this would be greatly appreciated.

Don't make it.

or leave out the apple cider.

I ended up tossing it, it was so sweet. Even my husband, who will eat anything, wouldn't eat it.

- jen
lunanoir
Admiral Briner

Postby Ogredude » Mon Dec 13, 2004 12:57 am

I made it tonight. It was very rich and very tasty, and yes, very sweet.

Part of my problem was that my family's not much into wine, so the only white wine we had around was a dessert wine... Pretty good stuff, but it's already quite sweet. Add that to the sweetness from the apple juice...

Everyone enjoyed it, though. I think next time I'll replace the apple juice with another can of beef broth.

Easy, it is. Quick, it is not. It took me about an hour and a half to cook down my onions. But then again, I was making enough for 6 people (my dad and I eat for two... :) )

I'll definitely do it again someday. Probably right after next year's onion harvest, when I can get all the onions I want for free.
www.FANDEMONIUM.org - A Convention For the Fans By the Fans
Sci-Fi / Anime / Fantasy / Gaming / Indie / Horror / Comics
Coming up in August 2005, better than before!
Ogredude
Ensign Briner

Postby AlmostAwake » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:05 pm

I liked this show, and I thought the soup was pretty good, but I couldn't get apple cider, so I just used off-the-shelf, less-powerful apple juice.

Or maybe the key is to use hard cider? I know that's not what AB said, but I can't imagine it wouldn't be good. All I know is, the cognac's not optional.
AlmostAwake
Seaman Briner

Postby ItsNotBurned » Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:27 am

Loved the episode but the soup....I've never been so dissappointed in my life... okay that's extreme... but the soup was awful... leave out the apple juice cider whatever... just makes it way too sickly sweet... I threw out the first batch and made it again with chicken broth instead ... it was fine
It's Blackened!
www.howtoroastapig.net
ItsNotBurned
Senior Chief Petty Officer Briner

Postby Jay von » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:41 am

I did this twice, and it was a disaster both times. Way too sweet the first time w/ 75% Vidialia/25% yellow & chardonnay. Way too bitter the second time with yellow/red onions & savingion blanc. The second one might have been over-caramelized though.

Both batches got tossed. Did give the house a heck of unique fragrance for 4-5 days each time.

Too bad onions are so bad for dogs, my pooch could have had his food "souped"-up for weeks!
Jay von
Resident Hippie

Return to Show Specific Discussions